Welcome to the Rise of Agon Community

Create an account today to engage in discussions and community events on the Rise of Agon forums.

PvE + other things

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by propain, May 28, 2019.

1. propain

propain Black Knight
    Loyal Hero

Let's be real, PvE is in a horrible spot at the moment. With the coming of the new armors, the scrambling of mobs, and the adding of rare material to loot tables loot is in a state of limbo. It might feel more rewarding than it is currently had we got the armor patch at the same time as their introduction, but thats not the case, instead all there is is worse loot tables and unrewarding different colored mats flooding our banks. I want to add some suggestions that I feel can be done easily but make the PvE side of the game just feel more rewarding to do.

Demon reintroduced, let it drop 4 or 5 120 stat pots. The main issue with champions currently is it takes a little bit more than 2 people to do for most of them. Some people find it fun to farm in groups of 4 or 5. With champions it requires you to kill 1, kill 2, or even kill 3 and port all over the map to get a 6 man group a potion each. Having a big mob as an option for the larger groups would be much appreciated. Enforce bans on people that exploit it, as i've heard this is the reason it was disabled. I'm pretty sure nobody will try to exploit it if the consequences are tough. Anyway let the Demon be the big dog location, with champions being the slower but safer way.

When you nerfed ranged haste you also nerfed the fire dragon kill time so it becomes a bit harder to kill, in turn I believe the Fire Dragon loot needs a buff. Its barely worth it to farm as 2 people. It probably needs a good 10k - 25k gold increase, and only drops medium/large maps (kinda lame it can drop small maps...)

On the topic of dragons, Ice Dragon is laughable. The risk is much higher and much more expensive to do than the fire dragon, it should reward much more.

Dungeon bosses would be dope. A single mob, just use an existing model and name it something unique. Dwarf dungeon? Let the last boss drop a few rare ore randomly. I made a rushed comment in this thread https://forums.riseofagon.com/threads/boss-mobs-in-dungeons.18974/ its not the best ideas but its just inspiration. They can be rare spawns even, i'll touch on that below as I feel it needs changed too.

Introduce a monster that drops bulk portal shards, preferably a 7k HP monster. My recommendation is the Greater Celestial. It looks like the type of mob that would drop it, not many people kill them, and they need a purpose. Farming dozens of mobs for 1 shard is okay, but there also needs to be a group activity for them. Something 2-3 dudes can kill for 3-4 portal shards guaranteed.

Wilderness portals need to get updated or improved upon. Farming routes are terribly placed these days, and most of it could be fixed if the wilderness portal system was improved, or if the decent monster spawns were a bit closer together. Right now there aren't too many farming routes you can do and not feel like you wasted your time. In the past it was killing a few dragons, or a baradron or some other 7k mob all along one path and doing it again with little downtime. The current way is a lot more waiting, a lot more running and with less loot.

Map fragments are a failure, sorry. Nothing is as unrewarding to get off a hard mob than getting 1/3rd of a small map.They either need to drop much more often or be removed.They feel like they got the exact same drop rate as whole maps.

Increase the Trade route wager fee. Go small until you find a spot that feels rewarding. Trade routes aren't horrible loot, but its not 'good' enough to seek out regularly.

Sea Towers absolutely need their loot increased by at a minimum x2 or x3 to warrant bringing out a warship and the crew to man it. Right now 4 dudes in a siege bag are wearing more than what the sea tower rewards. Not counting the black powder cost, the ship cost or the time investment. Again, buff this in small increments until it feels good.

Rare monsters. This RNG way of doing things is terrible. Simply having it spawning after X amount of kills would be a vast improvement over the current RNG system. I'd love to know that I can go to a kraken spawn, flush out 8 krakens and the Leviathan spawns to kill.

Anyways thats just some notes about PvE and how unrewarding it feels to me currently. Most of this stuff can be fixed with XML changes if im not mistaken, but they would go a LONG way to motivating people in the world. Always looking for more ideas too, comment what you guys think.

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
    #1 propain, May 28, 2019
    Last edited: May 29, 2019
  2. Kael Trighton

Kael Trighton Deadeye
    Benefactor Tester

I dono what they were smoking when they did the portals.

propain likes this.
  3. quietnoobz

quietnoobz Chosen of Khamset

When I was a kid trade routes gave us seedwood and there were two leenspar golems

Yomi Scythetalon and propain like this.
  4. propain

propain Black Knight
    Loyal Hero

"BACK IN MAH DAY"

5. Blaze

Blaze Black Knight

Eh how many people is needed to kill the demon and what’s the cd for it?
    4-5 pots is a lot bro that makes it like a million gold mob lol

6. propain

propain Black Knight
    Loyal Hero

could buff it a bit, it take a bit if you do it normal.

also imagine how big middle map would be. guardians, demons, devils. lotta decent stuff. just an idea anyways.

7. Lincoln Hawk

Lincoln Hawk Fire Elemental
    Legend

Everything other than pvp needs looking at, literally all this game has going for it.

Fengor and Blaze like this.
  8. Blaze

Blaze Black Knight

I would prefer if they gave dungeon bosses before mid map mid map got a lot already imo

The Red King, Thrill Kill and propain like this.
  9. propain

propain Black Knight
    Loyal Hero

Yeah, I hope dungeons get some love. Other than maybe 3 or 4 dungeons, I don't see any of em being useful at all. Even then those dungeons rarely get hit.

Blaze likes this.
  10. Lexendros

Lexendros Infernal
    Legend

Hit the nail on the head.

propain likes this.
  11. Sero

Sero Menhir Sentinal
    Loyal Legend

upload_2019-5-29_1-59-29.png

propain, Blaze, Fengor and 1 other person like this.
  12. KoKane

KoKane Celestial
    Wealthy

I agree with the sentiment, PVE needs to be addressed, but I disagree with the direction your suggestions are headed.

I think if we just keep making few mobs drop a bunch of good stuff all the time, then it's no wonder we have a world filled with useless shit, which even goes on to hurt newer players as they filter in. "go kill these, then these.. It's a complete waste of time but like.. y'know.. you're not gonna be able to kill the good stuff for a while, sorry"

I'm glad you made this thread so we can get the discussion going, as I was being lazy with my plans to make one.

I was thinking about it for the past couple of days. We seem to always push for better loot off of the fewer mobs, just to try create hotspots for ourselves and also get as much out of our time playing as possible. Slowly over time, we end up with this concentration of loot we need, but spread across not that many mobs.
    The truth is, all mobs drop loot.. It's just that all of the loot they drop is not being used enough to give it value.
    So while it seems inuitive to say "give this mob more of x, give this mob more of y" and just keep buffing lootpacks, I think we're actually nurturing the problem, rather than the solution.

A couple of days ago I was talking about enchanting catalysts in Agon chat. I noticed how I seem to walk away from every mob run with a whole bunch of them, and never get to use them all.. The rate of consumption vs the drop rate is just way off.

This now applies to more items than we're used to, or than we might even realise. It's a faucet vs sink issue that only gold was ever subjected to.
    If we dont start creating a use for general loot and items, then everything but the 'pvp' boss mobs will become more useless.

Population has a tendency to fluctutate, so I think any solutions need to keep that in mind.
    If we buff the Fire Dragon for example, sure.. it might become attractive to farm, but then we have the spawn system issue that it currently has, and if population ever dips, it'll start to saturate peoples banks too quickly.

It's like the Sea Tower too... It's a double edged sword. If you buff the loot, it'll be nice... but in time it'll turn into the same few who bother to go there - and then further down the road people will complain that its too much because nobody likes doing it and those few who bother are getting rich off it... So the problem was never really the loot to begin with - as is the case right now imo.
    A side note on the tower (not related to this topic entirely), is that a new ship tier system MUST be implemented. Similar to paperdoll gearbag Tier.. Such a system would also help devs control the loot the tower gives, if population ever demanded changes.

The last hit mechanic is bad for such an event, and the Straight-to-Bank reward system is poor gameplay imo.

propain and Fawley like this.
  13. FirstNameLastNameRpIsCool

FirstNameLastNameRpIsCool Goblin Warrior

A while back (in a different game obviously) I made some NPCs that were in "teams" where there were one "leader" and a few "minions". They were humanoid mobs (but can be different) that had a mix of range, melee and magic and they would protect each other and try to make coordinated attacks on you and your team. In essence I tried to replicate simple player teamwork into an "AI".

Pretty much everyone that liked a bit more challenging PvE really enjoyed them and felt it added a lot to the game.

14. Scrubby Bear

Scrubby Bear Eodrin
    Hero

I just wish pve was actually fun. Also that we had sandbox content to act as resource and gold sinks like much more customizable housing and clan fluff items. Right now the only real drains are character grinding and dying in pvp.

Lexendros likes this.
  15. propain

propain Black Knight
    Loyal Hero

Its a good point and one that needs more thought put into it, I was just pointing out the big ones that stick out to me in this moment now. I definitely think some of the lesser mobs need re looking into. The thing that sucks now a days is that q3 is basically pushed off the map. Q4/Q5 is what people wear for daily pvp these days and a lot of the old mobs that dropped Q3 were actually worth while for a bit.

I'm not entirely sure how one can go back to making that stuff valuable again.