Welcome to the Rise of Agon Community

Create an account today to engage in discussions and community events on the Rise of Agon forums.

PvE, Woods, and Linearity

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Urek Mazino, Feb 14, 2020.

1. Urek Mazino

Urek Mazino Wave Controller
    Benefactor Contributor

Hello all,

I wanted to make this post about how the difficulty scaling for the rare wood mobs is kind of wonky, but also address some patterns in PvE that I believe could be enhanced.

First things first, I made a video comparing the time, damage, and overall difficulty of the first 3 tiers of wood mobs. It's clear that the Titan needs to be changed a bit and I'll talk about how that can be done.

TL;DR: Titans are harder and take longer to farm than the next tiered mob, when you need twice the materials to craft staffs and bows, which makes no sense. They should be easier than Jotunns.

For years, most players have preferred fast staves over any other kind of staff. That led to us having around 2 or 3 viable staffs such as Blackbolts, cobra staffs, and possibly Sarracenias and Boomsticks.

With the introduction of a r60 staff, this "either or" was cut a bit, but if we look at what it takes to farm the Raven wood, for example, many players are discouraged to farm the r60, and will still either choose the r40 or r80 staff. (obviously that's not true for everyone but let's not go in a case by case scenario).

It's also valid to note that there are still way more ways to get metals than woods. Veins are everywhere, for example, but woods are going to start to be used more and more for gear.

There are a couple of ways we can solve this issue, and here are some that I could think of:
    1. Decrease the difficulty of the Titan mob. This can be achieved by decreasing its damage (60, really?), decreasing its health, or simply changing the kind of mob it is. The current mob model comes from cairn giants or hill boys, which have unpredictable and often fast animations, which is not true for any other wood dropping mob. Slow it down a bit maybe? Idk.

2. Change the recipe for r60 staffs and bows to only use 1 of each wood.​

PVE Tendencies:
    It seems like most mobs that are useful past newbie phase have a lot of health, and are a single target, which makes for a generally boring PVE experience. It normally consists of 3-4 minutes of shooting a barely moving target, hiding behind terrain and moving back and forth, and things like this.

With the mechanics that Darkfall has to offer, we could really embrace the "AoE farming experience" found in other games like Black Desert Online. It's often more fun to die from a swarm of skeletons or orks, than it is to get trapped in a rock and die from 1 mob. There are videos of players farming mobs by running around their numbers casting AoEs, and that's a much more enjoyable way to farm than to focus 1 target until it dies, and I think it should be explored in more mobs / more materials than just weak ones.

Final Remarks:

* You may not agree with everything in this post, and that's ok. Please share which part you disagree and why.

* There might be more effective ways to farm both of those mobs yes.

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
    Geezy, Chantree, Freakon and 3 others like this.
  2. Synna

Synna Black Knight
    Loyal Patron Legend

you miss a lot

3. Urek Mazino

Benefactor Contributor

In both, yes. Plus the Titan is way faster.

4. Dum Dum

Dum Dum Celestial
    Prosperous Wealthy Hero

Whoever decided to put the rare mats on the most boring, annoying, health sponge mobs in the entire game.. should be quarantined in case their stupidity is contagious.

Sero, Geezy, Scrubby Bear and 2 others like this.
  5. Jack_Bauer

Jack_Bauer Akathar
    Wealthy Legend

You know you can farm them without getting hit right? Not sure what you are doing in that vid but you are making it way harder than it should be.

6. Urek Mazino

Benefactor Contributor

Sure you can, it's the same kind of boring though.

7. Ryco Stormeye

Ryco Stormeye Dire Zombie

Also your time to kills are also higher because you did not use damage debuffs.

Fire Weakness for Oak Sage
    Guilding Wind for Jotunn
    Lightning Weakness for Titan

Your only doing around 35 damage a hit. The debuffs last 1 min and can give up to a extra 6 damage a hit. Yes you could have casted a bolt or shot a arrow instead but as the debuff lasts 1 min you quickly regain that lost damage and way more due to the debuff.

N.B. In melee Oak Sage is weak to Slashing not Peircing like all Oak Lords.

8. Urek Mazino

Benefactor Contributor

Point stands

9. Blaze

Blaze Black Knight

bolts op, i prefer one mob spamming over aoe farming

Slowhand likes this.
  10. Mitchcuse

Mitchcuse Goblin Warlord
    Loyal

When you started with first things first in your paragraph it should of been followed up with Rest In Peace uncle Phil

Urek Mazino likes this.
  11. Slowhand

Slowhand New Member

I enjoyed farming both the Titan and the Jotunn mobs, but the drop rate from Titan was waaaaay too low. Fortunately farming the Titan is so bad, that no one would even consider roaming it, so it's relatively safe.

Recommend:

1. Double drop rate from Titan.
    2. Make Staves cost 2 Heimal Wood and only 1 Raven Wood, and leave bows as 2 Raven and 1 Heimal. Let trading between destros/mages solve the rest.
    3. Make crafting require these craft, not just spam the R40's, so ppl farm, craft and sell them, helping with the gap between low rank and higher rank gear. (ofc this will be not enough, but I don't want to steer this thread dif direction)

Please don't make low level mastery weapons group farm only, if people feel the need for that, introduce a daily feat for it.
    Don't change the difficulty of the mob, else they will be even more boring.
    There was no problem with animations at the Titan at all. I could dodge all missiles from medium range by simple strafe direction change, just like with most ranged mobs.

P.S.: Feedback given at this point from 3 week new player, ex UW/ND player.

Blaze, The Red King and Neilk like this.
  12. Blaze

Blaze Black Knight

I like this suggestion a ton tbh adding a daily feat to them with the feat dropping a few more rares would be nice

13. Slowhand

Slowhand New Member

Farmed the Oak Sage a bit ( until 30 timber ) and must say it's a very bad experience. Hardly any other mob to mix in, 0 risk as it's so easy you can do it naked, hitting a few rocks on the way there for sulfur. Gains are super bad, considering there are only 2 mobs on the whole map.
    There are 2 major problems with it:
    1. The product is useless - for leveling you get better results afk-ing trees and iron nodes as premium and craft R40 mastery items - and can only be used for farming, to weak for any kind of pvp.
    2. The gain is so low, that it's not worth the travel time. Have the golem drop more and be harder to kill, or have some daily to support extra gains, or have more mobs same place, anything at all will help at this point. If this was a useful resource, anyone farming it would not have surplus to sell any, due to drop rate.

Urek Mazino, Blaze and Dum Dum like this.
  14. Urek Mazino

Benefactor Contributor

None of the woods are worth for their time, tbh.

15. Jack_Bauer

Jack_Bauer Akathar
    Wealthy Legend

I have never farmed these timber since they were introduced to the game

The Red King and Urek Mazino like this.