Welcome to the Rise of Agon Community

Create an account today to engage in discussions and community events on the Rise of Agon forums.

Random Pvp is Dead

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Billy Lee, Dec 14, 2018.

1. Billy Lee

Billy Lee Varangian Warthane
    Lifetime

Sorry for the title but it really is true, you can go almost anywhere you want, at any time, and not get pvp. Pretty soon it will be almost exclusively found at villages, trade routes, and sieges. I have been back playing for a month and got zero fights, I only rode by one person at zombies. Before I took a break from the game I had gone four months with only one or two fights.

Here is the thing: I don't enjoy sieges or villages, I like organic pvp, the rush of encountering someone at random and fighting to the death. That aspect of the game is gone. Random pvp in RoA is far less frequent than DFO or UW. My favorite part of the game has always been farming because either I'd get loot or I'd get pvp, but now I just don't run into other people farming so it's always free loot. To be clear, having a handful of supposed hotspots does not justify the dead feeling of the world. If I am not in the mood to go to popular spawns, that does not mean that I should have no chance at pvp. A lot of the time I only get to farm for an hour a day and even at popular spawns, I don't find pvp.

When people say "everyone is rich" they're not talking about gold, they're talking about general wealth, aka materials and gear. This is what happens when there is no risk of pvp. Another issue that is really unfortunate is that the game rarely ever has new items added, and when they are added, they're mostly just cash shop stuff. Many of us pve enthusiasts have been waiting forever for new things to come but it just does happen even close to often enough.

This is why many people don't want to farm, because they simply don't need to. Sure, in the expansion there might be new siege-related items, but that doesn't interest solo players or small groups of friends that live in npc cities, that demographic is extremely important, you cannot have a thriving game with such a large focus on sieges and big clans, even villages are basically giant pvp events now and soon, trade routes will follow suit. As for the new armors and required materials, that will be a step in the right direction but you cannot rely on that alone, essentially it will reduce the demand for rare ores and that void will be filled by the new materials. We desperately need new stuff.

I know relics are coming but again, it's not enough. It's the same loot everywhere you go: rare ores, keys, maps, enchanting materials, portal shards, gold, etc. These are basically necessities and are practically interchangeable. A lot of the rare loot is close to worthless, like astrolabes, warhulk orbs, fibuale and blades. Many monsters do not have a niche and are basically a waste of time and space, aside from tasks I suppose. I've been playing off and on since the beginning of beta and the rate which new items enter the game is far too slow. Then if you look at the most exciting new items, the champion weapons, they have never been fixed so you can still kill yourself with them, that really reduces the interest in them.

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
    Thrill Kill and The Red King like this.
  2. Not_Primetime

Not_Primetime Spellgazer
    Wealthy Legend

It's a good time for new players to level in peace. If we are going to have a sustainable population and that doesn't mean 200-2000 people then we need new players. Those new players need to be able to level and farm without getting wrecked by a 120 vet every 5 mins.

Lord Zanuul likes this.
  3. Billy Lee

Lifetime

Sure, but we're not talking about getting wrecked every five minutes, we're talking about no pvp at all. This game is advertised as and known to be a game with a strong focus on pvp, being able to go anywhere you want with practical impunity is going to make a lot of people bored. The new players are not aware of how things used to be, and it was way more fun back then. Plus, it's been like this for a while and the population does not actually seem to have benefitted from it.

Thrill Kill likes this.
  4. Not_Primetime

Not_Primetime Spellgazer
    Wealthy Legend

I think that will change if and when population increases. The biggest thing that killed this game is people getting killed for no damn reason other than some asshole kills just because he can. The majority of people that play MMOs don't like this game because of it. There has to be a balance. This games reputation has always held it back. The Darkfall community has always been the games biggest detractor.

Slayven and Chantree like this.
  5. Billy Lee

Lifetime

To be clear, I do not think that new players should be murdered constantly everywhere they go, but when they are getting away with farming dark dragons, leenspar golems, minotaur kings, etc and never get pvp, that is really not good imo. And that's just the big monsters, imagine how rare pvp is at a spawn from ghosts or gravelords. People come into this game now, get to mostly max out without even seeing another person in the wild, and then partake in sieges and villages because otherwise, they won't get pvp often.

The relationship between reds hunting blue players is important imo, but now red players have no need to hunt anyone, they can just pvp on timers. Even running into other farmers in lawless areas is rare. Sure, if you have the time to camp the leenspar golem for ten hours per day, you will probably get some action, but most people can't do that. Like you said, balance is important, in my ideal RoA, you can go farming and have a reasonable chance at pvp. It doesn't need to be high, even if I get a fight per week I tend to be happy, I just enjoy the random encounters a lot more than villages and sieges. Now when arena comes, that will be highly interesting to me, but I would like to see random pvp be a real thing too.

6. AbyssWalker

AbyssWalker Air Elemental
    Supporter

because you playing wrong.
    i came back with free period and i have pvp all the time! when i raiding holdings,they see me in system and always come to fight
    --- Post updated ---
    its not true,when i was new player i had adrenaline when enemy came to gank me,if i farmed in safezone i maybe thought game is boring.
    this is not grief,you must kill new players or game is boring

Korag likes this.
  7. Billy Lee

Lifetime

My playstyle got me tons of pvp and wealth in dfo and uw, I've had hundreds of fights this way, if not more than a thousand. I don't think that it's the wrong way to play, for me, if's by far the most fun. The problem is that everything is on timers now and there are not enough new items entering the game. Raiding cities has never been that fun for me, a lot of the time nobody comes, the chance to be zerged is high, the bindstone is near, etc. I like fighting in isolation because there is a lower chance of reinforcements. As I said, I really enjoy farming, I just want there to be a higher chance at pvp, and not just at hotspots. It's the combination of farming and pvp that has always fascinated me.

8. Scrapnotcrap

Scrapnotcrap Eodrin
    Hero

Ruined economy, everybody aiming for end-game, ruined combat is the reason i'm not donating to BPG right now.

DFO's random ecnounter was frequent since most or all items were actually scarce. When these items were not rare enough, AV took action to patch it to make them become hot again. Holdings actually mattered, but cairn giants and golems used to drop too much runes.

For example(DFO), steedgrass's were easy to make. We all had tons of mounts. When blue-tails came in, steedgrass's was constantly contested(mostly mage island). We never had enough of those. Steedgrass's became a basic need for all of us. Clearly, spawn scaling and slow mounts being better than blue-tails ruined that.

Portal shards were actually rare and dropped from a few mobs: ghost, elf-shades, shadow knights, malaut dungeon.
    We never ever had enough p-shards; especially if you are spending 2-shards to port. An other basic need if you own some holdings.
    Today, it feels like every mob, chest, maps and VCP's all drop p-shards. So it's too easy to reach a very high amount on you own.

Q3-Q4-Q5, all scarce, all hard to get. So most of the spawns dropping those were heavily contested since you could never ever get enough. Today, it's very easy to get plenty of q4 mats without the market. Beside, it's too easy to make so much gold so you can easily take the rest of the mats off the market. It's to a point where some q5 mats are easier to get than q4.

Q2 used to be basic. Ppl didn't call you poor because that's all you could get.

All in all, the reason you don't often see ppl in the open, it's because we don't have to farm as much as we used to. I hate leveling, but grinding to acquire loot never had to change. You don't see most ppl camping the leenspar golem since the selentine golem should be enough and there's 3 of them.

9. Slayven

Slayven Obsidian Golem
    Legend

They won’t get it trust me

10. Geezy

Geezy Crypt Guard
    Loyal Supporter

Villages, Seatowers, Sieges, Traderoutes, City Raiding, Champs, Named Mobs, Center Dungeon, Rare ore Golems, Erodach (since it's just one spawn now). Though to be fair, most of those aren't 'random' or 'organic' pvp.

Stacked banks are an issue, true. The other issue is lack of population. All we can do is hope that BPG gets relics and TCS right.

Billy Lee likes this.
  11. WithoutShame

WithoutShame Infernal
    Supporter

Population super low
    No need to farm for most people
    Runebooks