Welcome to the Rise of Agon Community

Create an account today to engage in discussions and community events on the Rise of Agon forums.

Recent patch balance

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Inositol, Nov 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MWTaylor

MWTaylor Community Manager
    Staff Member BPG Representative Game Designer

The team members at Big Picture Games, including those of us on the game design team, all loved the combat of Darkfall Online. For me personally it changed my perception of MMOs forever, as I had never experienced that sense of adrenaline rush and such fast paced combat in an MMO before.

It is important though for this discussion to distinguish what occurred in Darkfall: Unholy Wars in regards to combat. Classes were hard coded into the game and spells like Dash, Evade and some crowd control ones were implemented. Wobble affected archery and spell casting, momentum was changed which altered the fluidity of combat, third-person archery and spell casting was included, and stat regeneration and time-to-kill completely changed.

I will state, very strongly, that we have no intention of negatively affecting the core of Darkfall's combat, the same combat that kept so many of us playing Darkfall Online over the years. However, making changes to things like crafting or evaluating useless/redundant spells may indeed alter the balance a bit, and if it does we are always here listening to your feedback and will make tweaks/changes if necessary.

In regards to our current focus, that is still on the New Player Experience, the initial Crafting Overhaul and Alignment. Changes to crafting, and even the changes to the races, may cause a shift in balance but we are not going to make changes and then leave you guys in the dust. That I can promise you.

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
  2. Nat

Nat Shadow Knight
    Legend

No time beta than now to test balance changes.

DeadlyHit, Andrew, mrW and 1 other person like this.
  3. kilrath81

kilrath81 Black Knight
    Legend Lifetime

Destro hasnt been buffed and mages nerfed. The casual player that doesnt want to grind magic and wants to do melee still gets owned by a hybrid when they are caught in the wild. Ive seen mages WOF, Knockup and then land 4 spells on the player before he ever hits the ground again. The destro cant hit the mage back for the damage bonus and with a bow he might hit twice at a reduced damage then melee due to the encumbrance of his armor to archery. When mages need stupid amounts of rare shit, gold and a mastery grind for their gear bags THEN i might say destro is on even ground. But when you need Infernal to be even with a mage in bone and a few heavy pieces the mage has the advantage hands down. He can lose his gear bag 10 times or more to the destros one bag. Either severely reduce the gear costs on heavy armor or severely increase the cost of mages gear. a destro shouldnt have to grind all his game time for weeks to have a decent stash of armor to tool about in. Especially when a mage can basically buy his armor from the NPCs (buy the bone and leather and go to town).

What i really think needs to be done is rares taken from city mines completely and only available in wild nodes outside of NPC city tiles and player holding tiles. That way clans cant land grab and make OP gear off the hop and increase the rare drops in ore nodes so everyone has a better chance at the rares. If a destro can easily farm up his rares without having to sneak into a clan city or hope his clan will get a mine then they could afford better gear bags and THEN i could say give mages better gear options. As a destro i have been hit by mages through full plate for 65hp. Most casual destros are in plate and scale. A bone mage ground up catches them alone and its game over for the average destro.

Not_Primetime and Magos like this.
  4. Scrubby Bear

Scrubby Bear Eodrin
    Hero

The troll is strong with this one.

5. Wes Furtive

Wes Furtive Obsidian Golem
    Legend

I see what you did there.

Andrew likes this.
  6. Virtual Fear

Virtual Fear Goblin Warlord
    Legend

It isn't a troll, maybe partial troll, but it is a fact and most mages don't realize it until they play as a destroyer. Playing mage is ez when you compare it to the destroyer spec, aside from the melee aspect, you can just keep them at range especially when you have max spells and next to no gear to lose: simply keep them at a distance and you instantly become viable. It becomes much harder for the destro with the constant knock ups and blinds being thrown at you, it leaves you immobile during the initial engagement or entire battle in a fight.. who wants to do that brohan? I want the destroyer or any implemented spec roles to be just as viable as a mage. I'm sure you want that even balance too.

Not_Primetime likes this.
  7. Frog

Frog Black Knight
    Loyal Hero

No you haven't, that is absolutely ridiculous. WOF is definitely lame but it's only possible to land 2 rays following a magma knock up and any decent player is able to parry the second ray. Yes that is a decent amount of damage and magma knock up could use a bit of a nerf but you're just straight lying about these facts. Along with your ridiculous thread earlier about how destros need massive buffs it's clear you're straight trolling or just stupid.

Super Star likes this.
  8. Scrubby Bear

Scrubby Bear Eodrin
    Hero

You realize he is a guy who has admitted (or rather I should say claimed as I believe hes a troll) he has a physical disability that makes it impossible for him to use archery. He think he should just be able to run around with his melee wep out and still have a 50/50 chance of beating a mage that is using both ranged and melee.

Fengor, RootedOak and Super Star like this.
  9. Virtual Fear

Virtual Fear Goblin Warlord
    Legend

Thanks for the clarification, can't always have your melee wep out lol of course you'll die.

10. Bojangles

Bojangles Varangian Warthane
    Legend

Every patch that has had an effect on balance in beta has buffed destroyers, you can now have 2 archery specs, damage bonus on weapons based on race, cheaper r60 bows/r70 greatswords, fizzle removal, weapon buffs. Right now an elf destro can hit you in the back with a bow for 70 damage and wear a full set of heavy gear. Destro is stronger than ever and with the upcoming nerf to debuffs they will be even stronger. The gear bags are more expensive but you don't have to level magic. Also the only gear you absolutely must have over a mage is extra heavy armor pieces, which isnt actually the more expensive part of a gearbag. Ring enchants are optional and mages can use health/stam enchants on rings if everyone is looking to min/max. Both need enchanted cobras, mages need a bow or you throw water combat out of the window and gimp yourself, both need weapons/ enchanted armor. So if you think about it the only difference in a gear bag is the filler armor pieces.

People cry about how a mage in a worse set is more viable than a destro in a worse set but the opposite is also true; destros in a full q5 dragon bag are much stronger than a mage in a dragon mage bag. Its not even close.

11. BeatIt

BeatIt Obsidian Golem
    Loyal Legend

1 sec im stuck in a wof disable and i got ray 4x in 2 sec for 200hp+.

destro u actually have to AIM and hit the target to do damage compare to r90 knockups wof/debuff

my advice play Mahirim if u hate destro

12. Super Star

Super Star Oak Lord
    Legend

So the issue with mage is one spell (wof) which even mages ask for it to be nerfed. Also to land a knockup, you still have to hit them. Just because it does a little bit of splash damage on a near miss doesnt mean they go flying into the air at the same rate. You are speaking to a person (Bojangles) who has already made a previous thread calling for a nerf to knockups and wof. Those spells dont justify Destro damage.

13. BeatIt

BeatIt Obsidian Golem
    Loyal Legend

what im saying is that u have enough utility to kill any destro 1v1.

14. Super Star

Super Star Oak Lord
    Legend

But they have already spoke on nerfing that utility, (debuffs, knockups, etc)

15. BeatIt

BeatIt Obsidian Golem
    Loyal Legend

do u see any nerf yet?? no

so this talk is useless .... AGAIN

a lot of shit are gonna change with crafting and armor getting rebalance. u guys are crying when nothing is finish yet.

16. Grimtide

Grimtide Evil Eye
    Legend

Well said.

Myater likes this.
  17. Myater

Myater Eodrin
    Hero

If a destro can land arrows you win basically no matter what. You hit harder, shoot faster, and take less dmg. As a destro, you can win without using melee which is a big part of your kit as a destro. For instance, I've seen Energizer Bunny beat good players in BW/Check Six etc while only using a bow and his bow aim is not that good. He's done it wearing full bone sets as a destro and in FP sets it doesn't matter. If a destro lands bow shots they have the highest dmg output at range.

Nightmare UDL likes this.
  18. Bojangles

Bojangles Varangian Warthane
    Legend

Even without the upcoming nerf destros are in a good place right now. If equally skilled, lets say I cloned myself and had one of me on mage and one of me on destro, the destro version of me would probably win. Eye rot can be avoided, debuffs cleansed with a potion, parry spamming and higher dps/tankiness. Even with knockups I can just parry them, if I am parry disabled I just shoot a bow and use very little stats and out dps the mage since I am getting backshots until I can parry again. Right now in infernal ~q3-4 bags a destro is stronger and more forgiving than a mage. More nerfs are coming to mage utility as well.

19. Grimtide

Grimtide Evil Eye
    Legend

You forgot to mention shooting an arrow takes like 3 stam compared to 15+ stats per spell (minimum) for a mage.

Myater likes this.
  20. BeatIt

BeatIt Obsidian Golem
    Loyal Legend

nice logic... if a mage blind and hits all is r90 and rays???

that can go both ways depending on the players.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.