Welcome to the Rise of Agon Community

Create an account today to engage in discussions and community events on the Rise of Agon forums.

Reduce the grind.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Mighty Mouse, Jun 6, 2017.

1. kenns01

kenns01 Goblin Scout

I agree. Or at least I'd do something like making the last 10 or 20 skill/stat points to stuff like base stats or harvesting masteries an extremely long time to finish.
    With mining and herb gathering mastery maxed it's not as fun harvesting

2. Thralg

Thralg New Member

[​IMG]

3. Drago

Drago Deadeye

I kinda agree that as a casual that only plays a few hours every other day the grind is still long, allthough its ridiculously short compared to DFO.
    Still the time to become viable if you dont have too much time on your hands is fairly long.
    Is everything frontloaded in this game? Like, spells, staffs, weapons, stats? It doesnt feel like that but I dont know.

4. Brown Dorf

Brown Dorf Goblin Warlord

With the way exp gains scale with damage done and number in your group, combined with power hour, numerous sources of meditation, and offline only meditation, leveling is far easier on dnd than it is here.
    --- Post updated ---
    Also, the loot tables aren't gimped and bolts only cost 1 reg each, so you can grind pretty much anything and won't go broke.

Also, you can meditate weapon masteries..

I'll stop now.

Kurise LXV, Battle Smurf and Drago like this.
  5. Hostile

Hostile Goblin Warrior

then why no1 is playing it and why are you here?

6. Brown Dorf

Brown Dorf Goblin Warlord

Also, the loot tables aren't
    I'm not subbed here. No one plays because it's beta.

7. dandelions

dandelions Goblin Scout
    Hero

Grind is still mind-numbingly boring and long. Vast majority of players aren't done and aren't close, but they aren't here browsing the forums and posting, they quit. If the small minority comes on here and posts, they get blasts of shit talk from idiots who think that 3 hours a day is "casual". 3 hours a day is a full blown gamer, I'm one myself. I have all the knowledge from original DF release, in game vet friends with buff other spells, food and gear from them, and city locations to provide outlets to let me maximize skill gains.

I can't imagine how casual players or non-vets stick through the getting "pvp viable stage of the game" after the initial excitement of Darkfall as a new game fades. I started the game late weeks ago and was constantly running into asshats ganking easy mob spawns. It happened multiple times at goblins and trolls while going through the tasks for all the mediation points. They were literally cycling rays and fire magic on my character with 23 greatsword skill and 16 Heal Self. These weren't even other new players/characters, but players from mixed Vet clans. Fast forward to currently ~3 weeks later playing a good 3 hours a day minimum, I just reached the 75 primary stat phase where there are far too many critical passives I got to pick up, all the little passives here and there really add up in any fight that isn't a 5 second melee dunk. Having 400+ hp, and larger stam/mana pools to concentrate on pure dps makes 1v1 so much easier in a game where getting the opponent to turn and be on the defensive means you also get free back hits and more damage. It's why I love group fights, character stats start to matter less, but the core of any group fight that isn't complete "stomp" is the ability to hold down a 1v1 at any given moment and not get 5 second melee dunked or wof/ray spammed. So that HP and stat advantage still plays a crucial part of engagements and tempo even in group fights.

In terms of PvE, I think a lot more players would stay if group activities were encouraged. Darkfall is a harsh game, the social aspects really alleviate the edge when you're getting shredded day in and out by other players who may be more experienced, or have better gear, or play incredibly opportunistically. I personally enjoy group activities since even though my character isn't as beefy as the guys who started day 1... I can contribute, my cross heals are effective, have 100% up-time on friendly haste spells and quickness buffs for archery/melee gain, and can bullshit with people until pvp happens and comms tighten up. Too bad there are very few mobs spawns where groups are even remotely encouraged.

To become pvp viable against skilled players and characters... my checklist currently includes 30-60 min spamming golems with debuffs for witchcraft or greater magic, or finding a duo haste buddy for any mid-high tier damage sponge mobs for 2h melee gains and gold (anything effectively killed by 2 players within the health pool of our characters minimizing cross-healing time mid fight). It's crazy how much time I have to invest in just becoming Destro viable. Melee gains are cancer. I'm not even going to level 1handers at this rate. And grinding mage, oh the joy...

I played EU release DF, the grind was 10x worse and I played then, even grinded out a fully developed character on NA servers at one point, but it doesn't mean that excuse for content should exist now. RoA has it better, but it's not good enough.

This is a competitive PvP game, skill gain should be incredibly fast along with frontloading. All spells/skills should be unlockable within the first 25 points of the corresponding magic tree. All core related utilty skills/spells should be available from the start or very early on. Let new players start practicing these tools from the get go, muscle memory, decision making, player skill is what DF is about. "Getting good" is a grind on it's own, but at least it can be fun and you feel you have control over it.

The "grind' should come in high tier gearing, food, potions, etc... not character combat/skill basics required for any fight against competent player. On a quick side note, R50's are too good not to have given the jump in damage, which makes anything below that fairly worthless for fighting a legitimate player with any player skill. R40's mat costs are far more approachable for casual players and should be more effective in general.

Would love to see zergs around, frequent sieging and pvp. To me that means is a successful Darkfall, drawing in players of all skill levels who will regularly log in because they actually have fun in the game and can grab another mid tier gear bag with little time investment, pose a reasonable threat to the expereienced and geared players, and then go at it again till they get better. Then they will have gear themselves and splinter into smaller groups looking for more challenges that just weren't in sight or feasible a month ago.

#107 dandelions, Jun 16, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2017
    Mexi Horseman, breakqop and onslaught like this.
  8. TryHard

TryHard Varangian Warthane
    Legend

The grind is fine especially considering if you don't enjoy killing mobs in darkfall this probably isnt the game for you. Some of the best PvP fights happen at mob spawns often just as the mob is dying so the loot can be fought over.

Players do not need to be maxed to compete with how front loading works.... it seems like many of you should be playing counter-strike which is an FPS game. Darkfall is an MMO and it takes time to become maxed and if you don't enjoy the journey you should just quit now.

Once you are maxed the game doesn't change much you still roam for pvp raid cities and ofcourse kill mobs..... Seriously GS mastery @ 56 does the exact same as at 80+ high level skills don't even matter much anymore... Crying for the sake of crying is all I see from "Reduce the grind" babies.

9. MikeJT

MikeJT Black Knight
    Supporter

The game hasn't even been out 2 months and my character is already vastly superior to my original DFO character after about 6 months.

I've played max 5 hours a day maybe 2-4 days a week. It took me over a week from launch before my 24 hour noobie protect was up.

You need to farm for gear anyway and in that process you should be leveling your skills.

Seriously I think some people should just go play Planetside 2 if "the grind" is too excessive for them.

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
    Jakyocaw and TryHard like this.
  10. onslaught

onslaught Black Knight
    Affluent Loyal Patron

Great post, I agree 100%. I play maybe 2 hours a day on average and I can't even keep up with the meditation. My character is okay and I can defend myself, win 1v1's etc but I have a ton of FPS experience and can make up for my lack of character, other people won't be able to do this and get discouraged at a much faster rate and most likely quit. A ton of shit needs to be done to this game and BPG is still trying to fix the server. They are losing momentum fast.

breakqop likes this.
  11. TryHard

Legend

If they make it so you can max your char playing barely 2 hours a day everyone would be 100% maxed by now and many would quit just due to boredom just saying. I realize you want your skills to level faster but sadly thats not going to happen.

The best thing you can do is spend those 2 hours a day doing effective things in game like finishing a dungeon daily or two this will allow you to keep your meditation going(Meditation is about 6k gold a day)

I also dont even recommend meditating until your about 40+ in each stat. You can gather and do combat to get to 40 in every stat really easy, its not worth paying the expensive meditation costs at that level, hope this helps!

12. Battle Smurf

Battle Smurf Oak Lord
    Legend

You're an idiot

I'm revoking your meme privileges for a week

The feeling of "annoying grind" to be pvp viable is actually LESS in New Dawn
    --- Post updated ---
    Because we already paid for RoA in advance and New Dawn hasn't launched yet?

Good Friday likes this.
  13. Lexendros

Lexendros Infernal
    Legend

Grind is fine.

Play smarter and more efficiently.

14. Hostile

Hostile Goblin Warrior

Please dont quote me when you have no idea what i was referring to

15. onslaught

onslaught Black Knight
    Affluent Loyal Patron

Yea, I try to do dungeon dailies every time I am on. I'd rather do other shit but can't if I want to keep that meditation going. Cool game.

16. Kurise LXV

Kurise LXV Deadeye

Because we're all playing the live server?

I got a beta invite to RoA super early for free, played an hour and didn't play till launch. No one in LXV played RoA beta. This ridiculous argument of "why is no one playing ND beta" is silly.

17. TryHard

Legend

You realize you are saying the entire game is flawed because you cannot seem to keep your meditation going????? You could always play without meditating.... Nah that wouldn't be possible what am I thinking.

I know in 2017 this is a foreign concept but maybe spend more time in game if you cannot afford to meditate, or simply do not meditate. I just started meditating full time and went the last few weeks without it... yet I am still having fun, weird.

Or buy some GTT and sell them in game, I saw people making 20k each, just saying the avenue is there.

EDIT: Clearly I am the one who cannot behave? Lol this guy made a profile just to mimic me, cute.

#117 TryHard, Jun 16, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2017
  18. Trytard

Trytard Goblin Scout

Ya guys just buy GTT if you want to use meditation!!!

Navlaan likes this.
  19. onslaught

onslaught Black Knight
    Affluent Loyal Patron

k.

20. TryHard

Legend

And you guys call me the troll?

They added new tasks.... there are daily dungeon quests that reward 8k.... you want them to balance meditation gains around players who play 1hour a day? LOL