Welcome to the Rise of Agon Community

Create an account today to engage in discussions and community events on the Rise of Agon forums.

Reduce the grind.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Mighty Mouse, Jun 6, 2017.

1. Rawr

Rawr Chosen of Khamset

Please do come blow up the bank again.

I know which clan you are in, I know your SG, and I know where you live in game.

Doing random asset damage is a coward's move.

The grind is not the problem, it's a lack of endgame people quit over. People get in and realize what's the point then they leave. The game isn't for everyone.

Also the lag issue is pushing people out.

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
  2. Boypot

Boypot New Member
    Supporter

you have to understand that the no lifes have already grinded the hell out of this game in order to get an advantage over people. they will come on the forum and fight to the death to justify that behavior and not get it taken away so their efforts were in vain. come on you know better than that...

Battle Smurf and Ledwulf like this.
  3. Brown Dorf

Brown Dorf Goblin Warlord

Its a pvp game, but the mechanics pretty much encourage driving new players out. once you feel youre viable, whats keeping you from going red?

4. mybsurchin

mybsurchin Celestial

lack of endgame is the problem...

that must be why the noob retention is lower than nasa's astronaut selection rate

i didnt realize the noobs were quitting because they were dissatisfied with the endgame

you are approaching tryhard status

5. merkmerk73

merkmerk73 Earth Elemental

Clan warfare and random murder being discouraged by the game?

There's a ton of pvp games out there. Why grief yourself playing this one if you're not at the top end of the bell curve?

I don't blame the players - it's fun to shit on people and take their loot, and it's far more profitable than farming and the downsides are so trivial.

The game doesn't do enough to balance that out, and in combination with a ton of other things (inaccessibility for the bulk of your bell curve mainly - the game is just too hard and clunky to be competent at for most people) will just result in the 3rd death. ND won't fare any better - even if this one dies you're not going to see the same turnout there.

Oh no you know Sendog!!!

Please come to Calf and feed us some gear bags.

And no the grind itself isn't the problem - but it sure as hell isn't server lag or 'lack of endgame'. It's people getting shit on by a clunky game that requires an incredible amount of skill and ridiculous mastery of multiple roles to be competent at

RoA basically rules out the biggest portions of your bell curve. Plenty of people enjoy farming and leveling up their characters but when their slow gains are just farmed off of them at whatever spawn they go to, they quit. Then the remaining players finding themselves getting ganked more often at secluded spawns because the predators look harder for prey and they start to quit. Repeat ad nauseum

I remember this in DFO quite well when it would take an hour to find some noobs to kill.

This go around I decided to take the blue route and 'do my part'

The grind is probably the worst implementation in that it's not slow enough for noobs to be able to enjoy the mana missile and archery phase, but not fast enough to catch up to the no life shitters

edit: I know one guy who quit recently because he just got shit on one too many times in PVP against the plethora of no life vets and said fuck it he'd rather do something less misery inducing with his time - nobody likes to always lose.

Another guy saw some end game PVP videos and said "nope fuck that" - there's a lot of people that prefer simpler games and not this inane 25 hotkey ray cycling whirlwind macroing begone water jumping training mess

#165 merkmerk73, Jun 17, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2017
    Brown Dorf likes this.
  6. Rawr

Rawr Chosen of Khamset

It's not griefing to play the game, people need to learn that pvp happens. It's the rules of the game, anywhere anytime. Congrats, it's not discouraged at all by the game, nor is it is heavily punished as THAT'S THE GAME.

And yes I know Sendog, and yes we go back. I know him, trust him and generally like him. I am not going to come to Calfadar and wipe you off the map, as that would be detrimental to my relationship with Sendog.

As such, I would just target you specifically. I would come all that way just to bindcamp you. Why? Because you're nothing but a whining brat.

But I wasn't talking about you living in Calfadar, you live in Sanguine. And I have 0 issues with camping you at the bindstone there.

Face the facts, you're not a white knight at all, you're acting like a spoiled brat.

The PVP rules in this game, if you don't like, there are other games. There's a large amount of players who will not like it, but there's quite a few people who are going to get heavily addicted to it as they like survival games which have similar rulesets (but harsher penalties for death like permadeath).
    --- Post updated ---
    I don't know of anyone who quits after they get killed once.

People lack direction, that's why people have fallen off the game, or the lag drove them out.

There's the vast majority of players who are theme park players, they play something as its new, without any knowledge going in about what the game is, and when something else is released, they move to that. And there's enough games coming out that the trend will keep going.

After people are done with the starter tasks I have seen so many people in New Player chat going, "okay these tasks are done now what".... well.... grind and pvp. Then grind more, and pvp. Then ... grind and pvp. That's the entirety of the game. Some people aren't interested in it so they will leave.

DarkGhost25 likes this.
  7. merkmerk73

merkmerk73 Earth Elemental

You don't have the slightest sense of game design and your opinions here show.

You also cried like a fucking baby when I blew up your clan bank with the most hilariously dorky msgs I've ever seen - acting like this game is the united nations and you want to submit a formal complaint or something lmao.
    You're not going to come to Calfadar because you don't have the muscle it has nothing to do with your crush on Sendog you dweeb

You can't do shit anyway - you're worse at this game than I am and you sure talk a lot of shit for someone with 5 crafter alts who doesn't ever step foot into the world

8. Rawr

Rawr Chosen of Khamset

You don't live in Calfar why would I go there? There's no clan node that I would be interested in, therefore there's no point in me raiding it besides hunting your idiot head down and letting it rot in my bank. And if I decided to raid there, I would get heavily zerged down, due to the layout of the city. And yes I lived there for months in DFO, so I know it well. Suicide mission to raid that city, unless you have the element of surprise, which is lost pretty easily after going up the lift.

5 crafter alts? I didn't know I had 5 accounts. I guess you know better than I do. (Oh I don't actually, I have TheCrafty who is a dwarf, and Staffcrafty who is an alfar just for staffs, and then my Wolf which I do combat and farming with)

I see more of the world than you do apparently, as you think the game is dead and there's no unclanned noobs out in the world. They are out there, you just don't see them as you hide in Sang all damn day.

Game design problems? I didn't know you were a lead game designer for any game, I best BOW DOWN BEFORE YOUR INFINATE KNOWLEDGE.

This may be hard to swallow, but, you're a joke and your hardon for Ironwrath is creepy. You might need to seek professional help.

9. mybsurchin

mybsurchin Celestial

those "unclanned noobs" are most likely harvester alts

and it doesnt take experience as a lead game designer to realize that the population has decreased a lot and to speculate as to why

10. Rawr

Rawr Chosen of Khamset

Population always decreases after the first month, again theme park. People try it for a month because it's new, when it's not up to what they want, they move on. Or something new comes out, that's the gaming market. No game out there doesn't have a population decrease following the first month.

11. mybsurchin

mybsurchin Celestial

This game also has very few ways to attract new blood.

Furthermore - it's a bit disingenuous of you to say "well people tried it and some just didn't like it." As if it's no fault of the game design but just the way things are. Most people who quit quit for very specific reasons. Reasons which have been discussed ad nauseum on this forum so I won't repeat them here.

I'm fine with low server population. I just think the map is too large for it

#171 mybsurchin, Jun 17, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2017
    breakqop likes this.
  12. Zeiken

Zeiken Undead Dwarf

The map needs many more portals because of it's size. You should be able to travel anywhere you want in less than 10 minutes. To get to ork lands from human lands now, you take a portal to yssam, and swim south for a half hour. Wanna get to human/ork/any lands from elf lands? have fun. Alfar land portals are a joke too.

13. Mexi Horseman

Mexi Horseman Goblin Warlord

the design of the portal network makes less then no sense.. there's just no rhyme or reason to their placements and exits.

Zeiken likes this.