Welcome to the Rise of Agon Community

Create an account today to engage in discussions and community events on the Rise of Agon forums.

Reincarnates

Discussion in 'Game Design Discussion' started by The Red King, Mar 25, 2018.

1. The Red King

The Red King Obsidian Golem
    Loyal Legend

A buddy a long time ago told me about this mud he used to play that the player had the ability to reincarnate themself after level 75 and make themself stronger by starting back at level 1.

What if I’m Darkfall whenever you reach x amount of spells to level 4 you could reincarnate yourself back to level 0 and all spells would go back to 0 maybe stats too tbd and by doing this maybe all your spells did an extra 1 percent damage.

Maybe have it cap at 5X reincarnate for a max of 5 percent increase.

They would have a I / II / V etc next to their name so you would know how strong he is.

Maybe make it after x amount of ganks he loses a level of reincarnate status. Ganks only count after X amount of time to prevent bind camping.

This would make it where people who love to grind would always have something to go after, they would have that nice Roman numeral V next to their name for stature.

@Andrew @kilrain @Kilrath @MWTaylor

What do you guys think? Would give tons of stuff to do with big impact with I believe easy to do.

#1 The Red King, Mar 25, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2018
    Nat, Wes Furtive and CarlSwagan like this.
  2. CarlSwagan

CarlSwagan Goblin Shaman
    Supporter

me likey! its pretty minimal increase but enough to matter and enough to satiate the grinders in the game

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
    The Red King likes this.
  3. Wes Furtive

Wes Furtive Obsidian Golem
    Legend

I've put some thought into this, coming from Dungeons and Dragons Online. I'd LOVE to re-grind for a super small upside :)

CarlSwagan and The Red King like this.
  4. RootedOak

RootedOak Oak Lord
    Legend

Reincarnation levels is a way for really old MMOs to have players level up all over again. Why did this game mechanic appear in these games? The players completed all of the GRIND. They wanted more grind, so the devs allowed them to start at lvl1 again for a minor character advantage, and a slower longer term grind.

Is this what we want for Darkfall? A bigger character advantage and a far longer grind? Wasn't the purpose of reducing the grind... this is going to be a plot twist: to reduce the grind?

Slayven likes this.
  5. Wes Furtive

Legend

One-dimensional thinking to suggest it has to be for power level

The Red King likes this.
  6. Memento

Memento New Member
    Supporter

ive never been a min maxxer (read: non factor) but ive played every incarnation of df. I was at the first erinthel siege with the wall of bodies and the mana missile barrages. My point being, i enjoy the grind. Ill take the pvp where i can get it, but its about the immersion for me. This idea seems surprisingly balanced. The bonus isnt large enough to become a meta requirement, but its good enough to merit the effort put into it.

+1

The Red King and Wes Furtive like this.
  7. RootedOak

RootedOak Oak Lord
    Legend

So you're thinking of a grind option for aesthetics(titles, skins, ...)? Doesn't seem worth it. Just add aesthetic content to grind rather than locking them behind reincarnation.

8. Wes Furtive

Legend

I think anything like that would be worth it and I bet a lot of other people would too. I'd regrind any school or weapon skill and maybe even some crafts if it meant something special

The Red King likes this.
  9. turk0lu

turk0lu Gravelord

Maybe 4 cosmetics

10. The Red King

Loyal Legend

It’s purely optional, but I’m sure people would love chilling in Sanguine being a
    level 5 Incarnate and showing off their title. It’s about prestige, also it can be lost with x amount of ganks so... it’s for the people that always want something to do. Should be pretty easy to code with a pretty big ROI.

Plus more people out in the world farming to keep their status, a gold sink cause they are leveling again, it’s pure win win IMO.

Wes Furtive likes this.
  11. RootedOak

RootedOak Oak Lord
    Legend

Let's say it wasn't Darkfall, but a game that I've never played before. I would lose some respect for a game if they had a mechanic where you get aesthetic perks for re-grinding your character multiple times like a reincarnation mechanic.

I would say it would have to be some kind of buff or else nothing at all.

Listen, I'm not trying to say what RoA should be, but if it does become some kind of game where "the grind" is a core part of the game that I have to participate regularly to stay in pace with other players, then that game isn't for me. I have a feeling lots of people would feel the same.

BPG just spent a year converting the game to remove the grind with the allure of a "gear grind" as the option for character advancement. Why would they re-implement a character grind?

12. The Red King

Loyal Legend

They went too far. Finishing a character in a day in an MMO is dumb. They could’ve made it 2 weeks. Same with the gear grind, there is none. In an MMO you always want something be a treadmill to keep people logging on. What’s the treadmill now? Nothing. I guess you could say titles but only certain ones interest me and I did it in a day. Anyways to each their own, I am just throwing out suggestions to try and help he game, if they do not like it then it’s fine. They haven’t even responded to it lol

13. Andrew

Andrew Eodrin
    Staff Member BPG Representative

Getting to a competitive level is a few days if you straight grind it, maxing a character takes weeks of heavy grind and isn't necessary so casuals can compete.

Perks will be a bit of a grind as we want them to be more semi-permanent choices but even then it's not going to be months and months to get them maxed or anything. If we want the game to be casual friendly than we need to get away from grinding characters for power. Gear is where we've put the "grind" to reach the top end stuff and we'll be adding in more things like collectibles, lore pages and lots of other things as well to do and collect. In order to be able to survive long-term a new player needs to feel useful quickly, otherwise after a while the server level gets so high it's impossible to get new people to try it...

We don't want leveling a char to increase your power to be the biggest piece of the game. We feel this is one of the big reasons that DFO had preventing it from successfully taking off.

Rethgar, The Red King and Nat like this.
  14. Rethgar

Rethgar Goblin Shaman

Agree. Cant say for certain as new players have different views but if I was a new DF player and I had the option if trying each game for a month on a casual term (2 hrs a day, 4 hrs on days off due to work and family) . I would choose ROA over the other just for the reason I wouldnt feel so gimped in what I could do and gear is relatively easier to come by where as in DND its literally a chore to do anything.....not good for the casual player.
    Only reason I hang on to DND is because of a few friends that I like to play with. Other than that, besides VCPs, DND has little to offer for now and ROA has alot of toys in its sandbox.

Andrew likes this.