Welcome to the Rise of Agon Community

Create an account today to engage in discussions and community events on the Rise of Agon forums.

Removal of reagents: Lesser Magic

Discussion in 'Design Discussions' started by Andrew, Apr 3, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ezekiul

ezekiul New Member

Are you guys going to create attack speed/damage diversity among the R70 melee weapons of the same class? It would be nice to have some fast greataxes/hammers at that level. For example, have the ember weapons as fast speed/lower damage, original R70s as medium speed/damage, other new models as slow speed/high damage.

2. Reptar

Reptar Fire Elemental
    Legend

As long as you have to switch to that item, like equipping a battle spike. Otherwise it would totally fuck transitions and how combat currently is. And I think most of the community as a whole doesn't want combat to be changed drastically.
    --- Post updated ---
    Removing the transition to be able to heal is a huge advantage, wut.

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
    Fengor likes this.
  3. Hook

Hook Chosen of Khamset
    Legend

no thanks, if i wanted to play pubG or some dumb shit like it i would.

Inositol and splatterman like this.
  4. Sero

Sero Menhir Sentinal
    Loyal Legend

I dunno.

Their was an issue with gains in ND with this change, but I can't see that being a problem here.

I'd more look at farming efficiency. The main thing that makes me bank is lack of regs to continue on.

What we need to decide is if this is a good thing or a bad thing.

On one hand, it might be more fun, but dangerous to farm eternally, but demotes proper preparation.

I could go either way, but I lean towards don't change due to change being SCAWY :(.

Edit: I'd rather see the number of regs reduced to 3 from 6, than reg cost changes.

#24 Sero, Apr 3, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2018
    BubbleTea likes this.
  5. Andrew

Andrew Eodrin
    Staff Member BPG Representative

One of the big reasons I have seen is it will help newer players and give a baseline of spells for magic focused players. It also means that PvP engagements won't ever be dictated by who ran out of resin or mandrake, which is a plus :)

Methodico and Fengor like this.
  6. BeatIt

BeatIt Eodrin
    Loyal Legend

its call rest/pot/rage )

Fengor, Hook and Sero like this.
  7. Sero

Sero Menhir Sentinal
    Loyal Legend

Preparation is part of what makes the player though, and I think is valuable to the RPG/sandbox side of the game. You wouldn't go to a tournament with 75 of each reg right? You load the bag with like 400 of each reg and everything you need.

This same argument could be made for gathering tools, but what it does is reduce the total intricacy in the game, and takes out options for further content, changes the focus to 1 thing, which is the fight, and only the fight.

If thats the aim, then by all means, personally I still enjoy some of the RPG/Sandbox elements (I'm doing a painful title grind atm :D)

Don't forget, if the player needs less of something in their bag, you also take away the loot value/risk.
    --- Post updated ---
    WTF is this? Please no.

BubbleTea likes this.
  8. Inositol

Inositol Obsidian Golem
    Supporter

HARD no on extra clunkiness.

Mechanics like these can exist in shitty games like PUBG because you can lose 90% of your health in 3 seconds from long range. Bandages exist for when a player survives bursts like this, and is able to line-of-sight their opponent for extended periods of time.

Fengor likes this.
  9. The Red King

The Red King Obsidian Golem
    Loyal Legend

I can see how removing them will help newer players, I think you could offset this by adding 1 more reg to all the other spells to compensate.

We need to keep the economy strong.

Sero likes this.
  10. Reptar

Reptar Fire Elemental
    Legend

Ya but if you're at a farm spot longer it's just a risk/reward situation. Sit at a hot spot for 3 hours and get jumped and die, whelp gg. I don't think it'll matter that much. I'd rather have the quality of life.

Fengor likes this.
  11. ezekiul

ezekiul New Member

There are still plenty of reasons to need to plan out your regs especially when farming, it would just take the planning for lesser magic spells out.

12. LisaL

LisaL Stormgraive
    Legend

Regs are a pretty dated mechanic to begin with. I get it, I played UO, but its w/e really. It adds to full loot but brings no meaningful addition to the game to have reagents to begin with. I see both sides but I don't think the game is going to effected in any meaningful way no matter which way this goes.

13. Rhulvir

Rhulvir Goblin Shaman

Regs are a massive gold sink though, can't just remove them outright. Without a gold sink people would just accumulate wealth to the point of negatively influencing the economy.

Read what I posted again. If they implement a method of healing that doesn't require the player to switch to a weapon with a fpv, that method would have no disadvantages and would be the default for everyone, taking away a part of df combat that makes it fun.

#33 Rhulvir, Apr 4, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2018
    Reptar likes this.
  14. onslaught

onslaught Black Knight
    Affluent Loyal Patron

Are you looking at bandages as a complete replacement for heal self, witches brew, etc? I'm not

15. Not_Primetime

Not_Primetime Infernal
    Wealthy Legend

I only suggested it because a short stint trying Destro and it was very frustrating also the encumbrance penalty sucked. It was late I had a few beers when I posted yada yada yada....

16. Quin Tessence

Quin Tessence Black Knight
    Legend

Id like to see magic essence used to fill a magic casting pool.

Maybe like "use" 500 lesser magic essence lets you cast 500 spells.
    Then when lesser magic pool = 0 player regenerates 1 magic essence a minute up to 25 points.

(Add)
    Also I would like to see new spells that require magic essence, spells that progress or trigger a quest or do something cool.

#36 Quin Tessence, Apr 4, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2018
  17. Andrew

Andrew Eodrin
    Staff Member BPG Representative

This is an idea we've been discussing for the new transmute system for staves. Charging the staff with the relevant essence and have it use charges instead of regs for spells from that school. We can also easily increase the reagent cost of some spells as well. This is a way we could balance some skills out as well, if a badass skill cost you 25 mandrake to cast you probably wouldn't use it all the time or you'd run out of regs in a large engagement :).

18. turk0lu

turk0lu Gravelord

i'd still love to just have 1 reg thats used for every spell

ijharb and Reptar like this.
  19. Balsm

Balsm Goblin Warlord

Personally I would say leave it as is. Switch focus to adding more things into the game to get people out roaming the world. Removing regs for lesser spells does nothing for me, I already have the regs in my bag to cast spells anyway.

Why change something that isn't broken? Increase the chaos chest drops already so they are worth looking for....add more random spawns around the world to draw people out of the cities. The random rare ore spawn patch was genius....we need more of that ;p

20. ijharb

ijharb Chosen of Khamset
    Supporter

regs are a big hassle. and a big turn off for new players IMO. 1 reg that is maybe more expensive would be much more manageable for newer players.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.