Welcome to the Rise of Agon Community

Create an account today to engage in discussions and community events on the Rise of Agon forums.

Remove 100% full loot.

Discussion in 'Game Design Discussion' started by Fawley, Aug 5, 2018.

1. onslaught

onslaught Black Knight

That's the problem though, people do go play other games. We want these people to stay with this one, not go play other games where they could be sucked in with a very low chance of ever coming back.

2. Korag

Korag Fire Giant
    Hero

I understand that but in order to achieve that you don't make this game like all the other games you make this game attractive to people. I don't think you turn an mmo into an arena to gain pop. I think you make the mmo more attractive by adding more mmo features. It is an mmo and adding mmo features can attract that type of player.

3. kilrain

kilrain Oak Lord
    Staff Member Team Lead Developer

Just do some research on PVP and Full loot MMORPGs, not arena, not survival, but specifically MMORPGs and you'll see where we're coming from.

4. Korag

Korag Fire Giant
    Hero

I understand this and is the point I am trying to make. This is a very unique game and as I have said it needs changes but if you make it like every other game then what is the point of investing time in this low developer game vs one with a lot of devs and money support. You have to keep it somewhat unique otherwise it is just another mmo

5. kilrain

kilrain Oak Lord

We’re not removing pvp or full loot, we’re looking at providing safe(er) options depending on various conditions.

Johhny Mad Dog and Sero like this.
  6. AbyssWalker

AbyssWalker Windlord
    Supporter

ban you pls
    --- Post updated ---
    Only one adequate variant is to remove drop in arena/village instance.
    --- Post updated ---
    most of gamers arent ready for non target hard game too,so lets make df target? rofl.
    ofcourse most of gamers is casual kids,they will play fornite.Only small groups of fanboys will stay in df.With changes,or without.Dead dnd is good proof,combat changes will not bring more players lol

7. Fawley

Fawley Fire Elemental
    Legend

The closest MMORPG that has "full loot" that is actually successful is runescape. And even that has a very very small part of the world where you can pvp and it is very limited. Like you can only fight people within a level range and most parts you can just teleport out instantly. No other game has full loot like this, especially everywhere and anywhere.

Also, the fact that even half of the current hardcore community that is left is OK with this concept in one way or another is a big sign that it's needed. This change isn't for anyone that's still on these forums. It's for the people that might come back or new players that have never tried the game before.

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
    Nat likes this.
  8. WithoutShame

WithoutShame Windlord
    Supporter

Pretty sure it's been discussed for a long time that full loot affects new players very negatively, and the new player experience needs to be changed. Just a simple "newbie" island where people can learn the game makes a lot more sense to me than giant sweeping complicated changes that are going to be buggy and exploitable.

9. Fawley

Fawley Fire Elemental
    Legend

Claiming it is going to be buggy/exploitable before anything is even past the discussion phase is a defeatist attitude and makes me think you want nothing changed to the game's current mechanics. History has shown that this kind of gameplay within an MMORPG does not work with the varying iterations of Darkfall and the lack of other successful MMORPG's that are similar. If you want small scale PVP like the game currently is then maybe you should be playing an arena game. I would rather see darkfall become a game with real politics and scale again myself. Not to mention the current population is no doubt not sustainable.

10. Korag

Korag Fire Giant
    Hero

I am 100% all in for that I even submitted a few ideas to help brainstorm the idea to do so. Including a 100% safe area for new players to learn in.

11. WithoutShame

WithoutShame Windlord
    Supporter

What? The more complicated something is to implement, the higher the chance of there being bugs/exploits. I don't think I know of any programmers that would dispute that statement.

It's pretty simple, we all agree on the problem. I just think the simpler solution is the best solution, which would be a newbie island where new players could learn the game. Reading the other things discussed in this thread just open up too many potential bugs or exploits that could do more harm then good.

12. kilrain

kilrain Oak Lord

I despise the idea of a newbie island from a gamers perspective. I don't like having areas you spend any kind of real time in only to leave and never see again. It's not the easiest/quickest solution from a design and development standpoint either, not by a long shot.

I do hear the worry about exploits though, and I think that's why we keep the current tile management as is and use it for the triggers. The only thing we need to do is define what the actual rules will be.

13. Nat

Nat Oak Lord
    Legend

I believe factions would benefit from an area with partial loot or no loot. Let faction members keep their shit on death but the killer gets points or whatever. There'd be a lot more people willing to play if they can get that kind of PvP.

14. Johhny Mad Dog

Johhny Mad Dog Air Elemental

I still don't think it's about losing the loot but rather the fact of getting rolfstomped over and over again. The learing curve and the gap between new/vets players. I have seen very little people leave because of losing items. I have seen plenty leave because of the rolfsomping.

I have been around new player clans since DFO. What I've seen and experienced had not much to do with people leaving because of full loot.

15. Lord Zanuul

Lord Zanuul Earth Elemental
    Legend

you are correct .. the full loot aspect just acts as an accelerant to the fire ... most players after a loss just bank stare till an opportunity that they feel will result in some kind of gain presents itself.

Johhny Mad Dog and onslaught like this.
  16. Fawley

Fawley Fire Elemental
    Legend

If people truly believe getting stomped is why new players leave then the whole PVP flagging would definitely stop that issue.

17. Johhny Mad Dog

Johhny Mad Dog Air Elemental

It really is. Some new players trained their ass of for 1 or 2 months. Dueling/pvping, getting their skills up (did take a while in DFO) till they become somewhat decent. Then they get in a fight with a real vet and they will still be able to beat them pretty much flawless or while being outnumbered 3:1. It keeps happening over and over. Doens't matter how many relaunches they do. Will never reach a healthy pop unless this is getting solved.

Shit is not getting adressed enough because most vets, want the gap to be there. They want to win easy fight.

Fawley likes this.