Welcome to the Rise of Agon Community

Create an account today to engage in discussions and community events on the Rise of Agon forums.

Remove fall damage debuff. Why? See below!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by soulpcbr, Sep 26, 2019.

1. Andrew

Andrew Obsidian Golem
    Staff Member BPG Representative

There's some misunderstanding in those posts probably because of a lack of context due to the snip. Metalkon wasn't involved in combat changes on a design front, most final decisions were made by myself or TJ. Just blame me as the RoA project is my responsibility ;).

Sprain was designed as a distance limiter for 2 reasons:
    1) Prevent endless hopping for tile after tile. This made it that as soon as a player was spotted a good hopper could catch a mounted user regardless. This was to curb that ability so mounts had more value as an escape mechanism at distance.

2) Prevent escape from a fight when you are at critical levels of stats. In this scenario the one hopping away from a fight at critical stats had tons of reward to gain with little risk at that point. The one who likely was winning the fight by having a stat advantage has to burn that advantage in order to finish the runner. Their risk is massive as they burn their earned advantage to chase opening themselves up to significantly higher health stat loss.

We believe these two areas that were corrected are healthy for the game because endless harassment by elite players against groups of average players caused a lot of frustration. As soon as spotted an average player would be caught up to and likely killed unless in close proximity to a tower. We believe that just because you see a player in the distance doesn't mean you have the right to force them to engage. That's what point 1 is about.

The second is that the risk vs reward is heavily skewed in the losing player's favor favour when bunny hopping away at critical stats. Unless you catch that elusive spell or arrow before they disappear into the horizon you need to hop after them leading to fights going over many tiles in some cases. This was a big, legitimate in our opinion, complaint about fights being draining because of this and why we added sprain.

My question is this: Is this mechanic working as intended to address these two concerns or is there a complaint that it is causing other real issues in combat?

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
    Not_Primetime and soulpcbr like this.
  2. Yomi Scythetalon

Yomi Scythetalon Cairn Giant
    Legend Streamer Contributor

Dont listen to em Andrew, they know movement was cancer before. Plus when you guys finally get rid of the real plague of the game (AHK) the toxic people who "think" they are elite wont be around to poison Agon anymore ;)

soulpcbr and Methodico like this.
  3. Scrapnotcrap

Scrapnotcrap Eodrin
    Hero

1:
    i can b-hop tiles after tiles. You don't get that much fall damage no more from b-hopping. It's not like we still have the super begone that only works east/north. That one used to deal a lot of fall damage. For that reason, some players capped it at 50 back in DFO.
    You brought-back b-spikes. That means you get so little fall damage as you b-hop.
    This brings us to the next point ''combat'' issue. as a chaser, you spawn your own mount after him. so you can start with 100% stamina when his mount is getting tired. That part is pretty bad honestly: which is the reason we don't like the stam system on mounts.

2:
    That's the problem. In a 1on1, it's all good, but when you got multiple good b-hoppers against you, it's over sooner than it should be: especially when you getting jumped at the theyril golem which has honestly made me become a lot more aware of load-lags(because ppl duo that shit).

The obvious solution ''for me'' would be to remove bunny hop entirely, to remove mount stam and to remove blue tails too. that's ''for me''. With that, your concerns are taken cared of already. Ppl would have to use terrains. If you not in range to hit your opponent, you can't make him scroll left and right which would guarantee his escape if on a mount. That works for top players and noobs alike.

But if you really wanna keep bunny hop, revert everything as your current solution is bad on all fronts. DF is the only game i know where bunnny hopping is a must anyway. You not going to keep a lot of players with that. You need to ask yourself this: Do you want to alienate your entirely player-base into that whole bunny hop exploit or not?

Remember, we went from 300k forum members down to what?
    Beside the horrible grind, bunny hop was one of the reason most players left. We had a poll on that. Lack of content had the least votes if i recall because ppl were too busy grinding to worry about content back-then.
    I'm not seeing nobody that used to complain so much about bunny-hop no more. They are all gone except me.

soulpcbr likes this.
  4. Yomi Scythetalon

I would just like to remind the community that everything anyone says is purely opinion based on what they think combat should be. Do not assume just because you think something that got changed is ridiculous therefore your reasons why it needs a revert is fact.

That is all continue the great discussion.

soulpcbr likes this.
  5. Buffalo Spaceman

Buffalo Spaceman Frostjarl
    Hero

HOW ABOUT YOU FUCKING MORONS JUST LET THEM MAKE THEIR GAME? HUH? EVER THOUGHT ABOUT THAT? EVER THOUGHT THAT YOUR CONSTANT NON STOP WHINING AND CRYING AND BITCHING AND TRYING TO MICRO MANAGE THESE GUYS HAS GOT US TO WHERE WE ARE NOW? SHUT THE FUCK UP AND PLAY WHAT THEY GIVE YOU, ITS PRACTICALLY THE SAME FUCKING GAME AND ALL YOU FUCKING IDIOTS STILL PLAY IT REGARDLESS OF WHAT THEY DO, SHUT THE FUCK UP.

Thanks for listening to my TED talk.

soulpcbr, Sero and Yomi Scythetalon like this.
  6. SuB ZeRo

SuB ZeRo Frostjarl
    Legend Lifetime

Toxic @GM Ibis

soulpcbr likes this.
  7. Featherbeans

Featherbeans Celestial
    Contributor Hero

Would you like to poll your TED talk with double negatives, Shadow?

soulpcbr likes this.
  8. Andrew

Andrew Obsidian Golem
    Staff Member BPG Representative

That's more like a TED SCREAM :D.
    --- Post updated ---
    It sounds like the points you raised are more of a Mount Stam issue than bunny hopping. If you are fighting 1v2 or more you are going to be at a severe disadvantage that's just the nature of non consensual PvP. If we removed forms of skillful movement every encounter would end mostly the same way I suspect: running away on a mount.

We are discussing the mount stamina system that's a topic that I think is worthy of discussion. TJ and I discussed it yesterday actually during a phone call among a few other design points. We've wanted to make changes there for a while it just keeps getting pushed back.

soulpcbr and Scrapnotcrap like this.
  9. Yomi Scythetalon

Canadians are not normally like this. But its a good message.

soulpcbr likes this.
  10. Scrapnotcrap

Scrapnotcrap Eodrin
    Hero

no we dont. destros are op. if they were balanced, i would be playing every single day.

soulpcbr likes this.
  11. Yomi Scythetalon

Weird I thought the most recent changes made us not .... OP. Hmm silly I guess.

soulpcbr likes this.
  12. Sero

Sero Gnoll Vilegaunt
    Loyal Legend

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE.

PS: You're both right and wrong. The playerbase is not the reason were at this point, and we shouldnt shutup because this forum is where we are suppose to talk about the game supply player feedback for the devs.

But you are right that they do what they want and there isnt much we can do about it, except use our voice on this forum to help explain things. (again, what it was designed for.)

Also incase you havent looked around, not many of these people are "still playing despite changes."

#32 Sero, Sep 29, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2019
    soulpcbr likes this.
  13. TyteDaddyTite

TyteDaddyTite Obsidian Golem
    Legend

It's almost all the stuff your vets told you was a bad idea really was... full revert of combat... throw the godamn poker tables, shark mounts, dyes, TCS, actual unique rare drop loot, relics etc into the game. Fuckkkkkkk.

soulpcbr likes this.
  14. lamigra

lamigra Gravelord
    Supporter

15. Kol Taggar

Kol Taggar Infernal
    Loyal Legend

what the f is a fall damage debuff

soulpcbr likes this.
  16. Fenrir Frauki

Fenrir Frauki Undead Dwarf
    Loyal Supporter

I thought they reverted combat, why is this still a thing?

And let me guess, they 'reverted combat' but normal mounts still have nerfed HP.

They seem to have a really hard time distinguishing between the vocal minority, and the people who have played literally every iteration of DFO and ROA. If they could tell the difference, they would have never even considered touching bhopping.

soulpcbr likes this.
  17. Scrapnotcrap

Scrapnotcrap Eodrin
    Hero

Mounts are not combat related. What you talking about lol? This guy...

18. soulpcbr

soulpcbr Infernal

In Darkfall mounts are combat related. Check @Itwas Luck, @ArrowExpert , @Squanto videos, there are several fights that they use mount to reset.

They did not reverted the mount. It was better that they had not reverted buffself.

Fenrir Frauki and Scrapnotcrap like this.
  19. MikeJT

MikeJT Black Knight
    Supporter

People still debating this?

Wow.

20. ijharb

ijharb Celestial
    Supporter

spraining is stupid.