Welcome to the Rise of Agon Community

Create an account today to engage in discussions and community events on the Rise of Agon forums.

Robes?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Kol Taggar, May 3, 2019.

?

Robes?

1. Good Idea

59.0%
  2. Bad Idea

41.0%
  1. ThiefGarrett

ThiefGarrett Wildtribe Mage

A battle mage and a mage are two different things :) You can have both, but one is missing in roa.

Billy Lee and Battle Smurf like this.
  2. Thrill Kill

Thrill Kill Goblin Shaman
    Supporter

People seem to be against thinking these days. They just want a cookie cutter set up that can do everything at max potential.

3. Kol Taggar

Kol Taggar Infernal
    Loyal Legend

This is pretty nice to see, if its true (Blaze seemed to indicate differently in discord but idk).

IMO a legacy mage armor set (Heavy helm/heavy boots/gloves/optional heavy pants/optional heavy filler) should always be more advantageous than robes, but what the fuck do I know.

Unfortunately there is only one way to test this statement (try it). If the robes patch increases population, you're right. If it doesn't, well then you're stuck with robes, got no increase in pop, and further alienated players who enjoyed combat the way it was at the end of DFO.

#23 Kol Taggar, May 3, 2019
    Last edited: May 3, 2019
  4. Neilk

Neilk Web Development & System Admin
    Staff Member Team Lead

Combat is more like DFO on PTS than it is on live at the moment.

The point of this is not to change combat it's for armor diversity which is a huge issue for MMO players when they see everyone wearing the same thing in videos etc.

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
    Auron, Billy Lee, Kol Taggar and 3 others like this.
  5. ThiefGarrett

Statements like this are absolutely bullshit. Don't be such a child. "If it increases population" LMAO. That's just as ridiculous as saying "Where are all the people this patch was suppose to bring back". It's a strawman argument. You act like people are watching the patch notes and forums every second of the day waiting for special changes to come running back.

The reality is nearly all people who tried and quit DF at any point are probably didn't look back at all. I know when I quit a game I don't keep tabs on it unless something is shoved in my face. So what they need to do is make changes that will appeal to more people without breaking the game. This means making more play styles, more diversity in what you can wear an be at least effective in the are you want to be effective in. They need more non PVP content, more reason to PVP. When all the changes are in place then make a big advertising push.

Some old players will see it and come check it out if the changes hit the right spots. Some new people will come check it out and not have the reasons to quit like the people before did.

Blaze likes this.
  6. Scrapnotcrap

Scrapnotcrap Eodrin
    Hero

To think you guys were going with +10% magnitude and all got me so worried. When i saw that on youtube, i was like:''ok, i'm not going to test that''.

7. Blaze

Blaze Varangian Warthane

When did I say the hybrid build is weaker on pts than live xD number wise its pretty close, you just got to use leather fillers over metal

8. Schnid

Schnid Akathar
    Hero

lol

Inkarnation and Kol Taggar like this.
  9. Battle Smurf

Battle Smurf Oak Lord
    Legend

I want a blade staff to be a true battle mage

As for robes of course they needed advanced more expensive and effective tiers.

I would of done a % cast speed increase on them (while uncapping Q5 mag corpsecaller damage) with a good bit of extra mana regeneration and a bit of spell magnitude. It's retarded that Corpsecallers aren't used more.

If TTK became too low you just increase armor protections across the board OR lower base spell damage so that people actually have to wear appropriate armor and high mag staffs to be effective with magic.

Also have BPG added advanced tiers of Bone Armor yet?

Take regular bone armor color it black make it cost expensive/ rare mats like dragon bone (although with the idiotic change of enchant mat combination it's NOT are rare as it should be anymore) and give it slightly more protections, BUT MORE IMPORTANTLY a % modifier of increased magnitude and mana regen (less than robes obviously)

Do the same for Giant Bone ect if you want more tiers

This has been the obvious natural progression for a decade. It's literally NEVER made sense that regular bone armor, as cheap as it was, was endgame mage gear.

Mage armor and weapons need to scale JUST AS MUCH as melee/archery, if not more at the high end.

Someone in the highest tier mage gear should be REALLY powerful, but super rare to see because of cost/risk... glass CANNON

10. Schnid

Schnid Akathar
    Hero

Every time I read one of your posts I say a short thank you prayer to my atheist gods for creating a world where you have zero influence on the game.

11. ThiefGarrett

They went with advanced leather instead of bone.

12. KingLlama

KingLlama Winterbound
    Supporter Lifetime

Dyes are coming so repainting with black is not really something that should be done. The new leather mixed is going to be more of what we see as hybrids in live compared to pts. Mage robes are going to be viable as long as you know how to escape melee and keep a distance while having good aim.

13. Kol Taggar

Kol Taggar Infernal
    Loyal Legend

LOL who are you?
    --- Post updated ---
    This is a good articulation of what is driving the thought process here. If you folks think armor diversity will grow the game, like I said before, only one way to find out.

Personally I have no idea, some of the emotional investment of some folks involved in pushing the robe thing is alarming to me, thats all.

14. Billy Lee

Billy Lee Varangian Warthane
    Team B Lifetime

Rather than reply to everyone that quoted me, I'll say this, I like battle mages too and I'm aware that they exist, the thing is that traditional robed mages do not exist currently in RoA live. If you think about it, lots of people historically tried using extravagant robes but were forced to stop because they were bad, and yeah, I know they served as scroach gear too. I also know that the people that were content with dfo content are always going to hate most pvp changes and I understand why but to bring the game to it's maximum potential I think occasionally some more sensitive changes are necessary. Being able to choose between a wider variety of armors is highly important imo.

Then we have to look at the economy, the game used rare ores as the premier crafting material for ages and now there is quite a bit of it out there, this causes quite a few chain reactions that are not ideal, to say the least. By adding new staple rare materials we can move away from the reliance of rare ores, spur new activity, and have a much greater breadth of rewards for players to obtain. Just look at tasks for example, when I go on to create new ones I'll have new rawhides, timbers, cottons, and potentially other things to use in place of rare ores, that's going to make my job a lot easier and help diversify task rewards, which is really fantastic. One more quick example, I do map running occasionally and I find it to be a lot more fun with the new rewards. The stuff I've written here is only scratching the surface of why I think robes are a good addition but I'll leave it at this for now.

Battle Smurf likes this.
  15. Battle Smurf

Battle Smurf Oak Lord
    Legend

Good thing I couldn't care less about your opinion of me.

I'm glad you're satisfied with the current game and it averaging like 200-300 concurrent players, but almost no one else is.

It's objectively a total failure by MMO standards.

If I was in charge, this game within 3 months, would be appealing to a much larger audience and bring back tons of people that quit and who aren't otherwise returning without drastic actions. And I'm not talking about resource intensive or naive fantasy changes either.

Not that I have ever WANTED the job, It's thankless work for little to no $ per hour relative to what I make currently and this community is hands down pound for pound the most toxic of any game ever.

I actually feel sorry for BPG

I'd have only done it because I think Darkfall deserves to be saved and because everyone else who's tried has been incompetent in one way or another. I'm confident that at the very least I could do better than they have.

Call me an armchair Dev, I am, but it doesn't necessarily mean I'm wrong or couldn't do a better job.

Also I'm willing to bet you haven't even read my proposed changes/ revival plan. You probably take one piece meal suggestion out of context and try to apply it to the current version of the game (through your myopic viewpoint) before instantly shutting down all further consideration.

Most, if not all, of my suggestions are codependent on the others to actually achieve the desired result.

16. Schnid

Schnid Akathar
    Hero

Your walls of text that I can only ever make it about 1/3 of the way through can basically be summed up in one basic idea - make gear matter more and harder to get both of which would make the new player experience drastically worse than it already is.

Gear already matters too much and it already takes 5 hours to put together a competitive pvp bag and its already too easy to lose that bag because of vet zergs. Your ideas are just untenable in a full-loot pvp game.

Sero and The Red King like this.
  17. Battle Smurf

Battle Smurf Oak Lord
    Legend

Ya I'm aware, I was hoping advanced Bone armor was also going to be on the roadmap.I

I'm all for advanced leather armors too, assuming its done right with appropriate traits that make it actually USED and different.

There's a lot of stuff that's under utilized ( again Corpsecallers and slow staffs aren't really being used), but there is a very loud crowd that is almost borderline autistic in it's resistance to changes that would let new things and new meta shine and hopefully attract people who aren't currently playing.

I understand the sentiment based on history, but I think some of them do a disservice to the game by being so closed minded and instantly negative to things like the new robes.

It's like some of them FINALLY got good copying what someone else figured out about the meta years ago and now hate the idea of ANY change.

And then you have others who are so hyper focused on the game being 1v1 that the ONLY way to have perfect balance is if everyone is exactly the same, but that's not good for an MMO with open world FFA full loot PVP population.
    --- Post updated ---
    Thank you for proving my point

New players would NOT have it harder because once my economy (item sinks, spawn timer changes, loot drop changes, removal of enchant mat combines, gold sinks, more gold uses ect), crafting, and time gated progression changes are in...

I would wipe and relaunch the game

AFTER doing basically free advertising on things like Reddit, youtube content creators, twitch affiliates, and mmorpg.com

High end gear would be MUCH more rare than it is now and a much bigger RISK to take out. It would NOT be standard by any means like infernal and Q4-Q5 JBs and R70s/ Cobras currently are.

It wouldn't take 5 hours to make a bag if the average gear bag was rank 40/50 tier gear with Q2/2.5 enchants (even lower for the first few months) and there ARE ways to accomplish this. I'd elaborate further and there is MUCH more to my solution, but you already accuse me of wall of texting.

The gear scaling I'm talking about would be exponentially top heavy to the point where even the best players aren't going to take it out unless they've got huge balls.

And "bad" FPS players, but who PVE alot and are rich, might decide to risk it because the gear crutch is actually worth it.

The game would literally be approached differently (by intelligent players anyway) with an emphasis on risk vs reward and economic damage through PvP with things like items having a 25% chance of destruction on death allowing even the losing side of an engagement to score small victories....

Using cheap gear and higher numbers absolutely should be a STRATEGY that even "good" FPS players might want to employ.

There's probably MORE good players who hate farming top tier gear than bad ones. And with my system the top players would NOT be able to acquire and stack up on top end gear through winning PvP engagements alone. They'd have to either use lower tier gear sometimes and evaluate risk vs rward OR they'd have to GO OUT AND FARM THEMSELVES which= MORE OPEN WORLD PVP and fights over limited spawns

Everything I'm talking about is based on and has been PROVEN to work in EvE online, the single best example of a massively successful "full loot" Risk vs Reward PvP sandbox MMO with the best player based economy for 15 years.

Full loot is actually part of the problem. It leads to inflation and the gear situation you complain about. There NEEDS to be an item rake on gank.

And again even this post doesn't include every change. There would be much more on soft time gated character progression, hard time gated crafting progression, time gated high end mob spawn and village loot, political changes/ incentives/consequences to naturally discourage vet zergs, siege changes, and more that are all intertwined and dependant upon each other.

These are complex problems that require nuanced solutions, accusing someone of wall of texting when talking about them just makes you look like a simpleton who isn't capable of understanding, let alone participating in, high level discussion.

18. Kol Taggar

Kol Taggar Infernal
    Loyal Legend

Everyone reads every word of every one of your posts Battle Smurf. Everyone. Every word.

19. aparks

aparks Obsidian Golem
    Legend

I miss being able to throw on a purple robe with a buddy and go jump in cities getting a few gear bags that make my bank look better when I open it.

20. Sorrow Avaritia

Sorrow Avaritia Obsidian Golem
    Hero

Then whats the point of robes over a bone / heavy set mages use now?