Welcome to the Rise of Agon Community

Create an account today to engage in discussions and community events on the Rise of Agon forums.

Runebook Travel Limitations

Discussion in 'Design Discussions' started by kilrain, Sep 25, 2018.

1. Quin Tessence

Quin Tessence Black Knight
    Legend

About 50% of my runes are to NPC area's all over, the other 50% are random mob spawns that have portal chambers linked up near them for transit farming.

I wouldn't make any changes to Rune Books until after you make spawns and portals more fun.

For instance if your farming on Yssam you can bind to a chaos stone, kill a Baradron, Selentine Gholem, Dark Dragons, portal over kill another Baeadron and Bind stone recall back to start over. We tended to keep an alt around to bank it was about 30k in Loot pluse rares an hour for 2 people so barely worth it if you get zero PvP and have extra Tasks to knock out in the background.

More PvE Circuits like this need to be added before Rune Books get mashed up. You shouldn't make changes to Rune books until you understand all the locations people are keeping runes marked. Every location a player teleports to should come up on the heat map to add to the metrics.

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
  2. Void

Void Celestial
    Loyal Legend

Normally I think your idea are crazy but adding used runes to the heat map is kind of cool and worth looking at

3. Thrill Kill

Thrill Kill Goblin Warrior
    Supporter

Decent idea here. Runebooks feel like a bandaid vs a fix.
    --- Post updated ---
    A good amount of truth here

4. Magos

Magos Gravelord
    Supporter

that was so last week...I'm over arguing fast travel I'm into more additions on top of what we already have at this point. Like exploration content, new spells, new attacks, etc

5. Thrill Kill

Supporter

I’ll bite on the exploration content. There are ton a places to add content. It could be mobs, quest points, randomized chests, event spawns, dungeon crawls, yadda yadda etc etc.

Magos likes this.
  6. Magos

Magos Gravelord
    Supporter

ya the ideas are limitless with exploration content, fun stuff you can click on to discover, fun little things make big differences to get ppl out and about. Def very sandboxy

Thrill Kill likes this.
  7. Methodico

Methodico Gravelord

If I have to walk for 30 min or 2 hours for do something I'm out... Why focus on this and not on content and new things, do you really believe that if you limit travels all people will say '' Yeahhh cool I will come back! '' and population will rise up? No way!

Slayven likes this.
  8. Thrill Kill

Supporter

Look at what some players are saying about added content. If the world is populated with more content, the walking 30 min or 2 hours issue will self resolve.

9. GrimReapiN

GrimReapiN Celestial

If only it were so easy. Its not like you can jump in the world, type /set-spawnpoint or /create quest, and a window pops up.

Takes coding time and effort. Perhaps the lore or the way a quest would go could be written by volunteers but the coding takes time.

If it were like TES construction kit, i would have made HUNDREDS.... HUUUUUUUNDREDS of mods for Darkfall. I'd probably dedicate that as my hobby.

Anyways, my point is you ask a lot when you just say add exploration, addcontent, add weapons, add spells. Its difficult and time consuming as fuck.

10. Lord Zanuul

Lord Zanuul Fire Elemental
    Legend

I'm currently playing ESO and they have a very large community that does something called add ons this helps to flush out a lot of the issues that the game may have from a technical perspective without putting that workload on the Developers

11. Magos

Magos Gravelord
    Supporter

ya I mean...I suggested reasonably simple things to develop in this engine...it sounds like you are suggesting that further development of this game is too time consuming for the devs?

12. GrimReapiN

GrimReapiN Celestial

I'm suggesting priorities.

13. Magos

Magos Gravelord
    Supporter

???
    --- Post updated ---
    remove runes and P shards from vendor

14. zander

zander Celestial
    Legend

The best thing you could do for this game would be shrink the map. If population booms you can expand it out again, but map size should be dependent on population.

The debate on fast-travel won't be nearly as important if the map was smaller and you always ran into people out in the world. Biggest issue for casual players that fast-travel tries to fix is that we don't have time to wander for hours to get to the action or our mob spawns. Casuals can't play a game that require 4hours a night to enjoy, we want to log in and play.

Some people suggested an arena to try and fix this need for quick-access content, but a smaller map does the same thing while keeping the natural open-world feel to PVP.

Hell I think most would even accept you guys doing it in the laziest way possible - just pick a subcontinent and make that the game world, don't even have to rebuild the map.

1000 players all crammed onto Ruby? No need for fast-travel.

GrimReapiN and Scrapnotcrap like this.
  15. WithoutShame

WithoutShame Stormgraive
    Supporter

My suggestion before was to shrink the world without actually shrinking it.

https://forums.riseofagon.com/threads/battle-for-yssam-seasonal-event.17755/

TL;DR: Make TCS only on one island, disable runebooks on that island. Result would be hardcore's would go the island, and casuals could play the rest of the world. Shrink the world for the people who want it and leave things how they are for people who want it that way.

16. Sero

Sero Forest Golem
    Legend

What kinda population and open world conflict do you expect to occur when you don't need to fight for anything?
    --- Post updated ---
    Band-aid would imply they were fixing an issue. Spoiler alert: There was no issue in DFO.

Can't even recall how many times we've been through this subject. Runebooks were NEVER necessary. EVER.

Portal Networks:

- Noobs join clans for network/holding access: creating community interaction and relationship
    - Localized resources have value due to requirement of network to access = stronger market potentials
    - Portal Shards are high in demand = stronger market potential
    - Open-world conflict is created between high populated farming areas and network hubs.
    - War conflict is created due to requirement of city network to access farming locations.
    - War and conflict creates market potentials for resources, enables alliance forming, politics
    - You want to play the harder solo/small scale style of Darkfall? Farm/Buy some runes.

This beautiful cycle only ever needed additions, not to be torn down and replaced with something that, quite literally, takes away from the game. Why was it removed? Why wasn't it re-enabled when wilderness system didn't work out? Why did we have to wait months without proper fast travel for Runebooks? Why after all this time, are we still discussing this issue?

Similar to combat changes, you're trying to fix a problem that is being caused by the very thing you're attempting to work around. This community can only speculate as to why.

#36 Sero, Oct 16, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2018
  17. viniciusdel

viniciusdel Wave Controller

Yes please

18. MikerotchBAGFACE

MikerotchBAGFACE Winterbound

Sea tower