Welcome to the Rise of Agon Community

Create an account today to engage in discussions and community events on the Rise of Agon forums.

Self Buffs..

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Glacius, Jul 19, 2019.

1. Glacius

Glacius Goblin Warrior

What was the problem with these exactly? I assume it's purely a pvp thing because I'm hearing a lot about people using alts to buff their pve characters. I've heard talk of people actually suggesting this to be efficient in pve. If the point of removing self buffs was to force group activity, shouldn't you also promote group activity in pve? At the very least, don't allow people to use alt accounts as buff bots.

2. Scrapnotcrap

Scrapnotcrap Eodrin
    Hero

I dont want self buffs to come back personally, but i want to carry no more than 1 protection enchant to compete.

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
    Methodico likes this.
  3. Degamra

Degamra Air Elemental
    Hero

buffing is just so tedious and annoying to even have to bother with. the other buffs are cool to encourage team play and support, but self buffs could (and should) stay gone for all i care. just an unnecessary layer

Mega and Wizzy like this.
  4. Sero

Sero Gnoll Vilegaunt
    Loyal Legend

That wasn't it.

Self-buffs were pretty much mandatory before a fight, or at least felt mandatory. This made players spend 2-3 minutes buffing before actually going into a fight which felt tedious. They were removed because of this and also with the hopes of making enchanting jewelry and such with protections a new avenue. This succeeded, but complaints were made about that also being tedious.

Originally the community wanted consolidated self-buffs (1 buff per elemental school that gives all the self-buffs it provides, or 1 buff per protection type (physical/elemental and then stats).

Personally I don't know. I agree with the sentiment that enchanting currently is tedious/expensive, but I like that it makes jewelry and protection enchants more valuable. Consolidated self-buffs seem to be the way to go, but I think q3+ enchant should be better than self-buffs.

Mega, JasperHawkins and Brando Pando like this.
  5. MikerotchBAGFACE

MikerotchBAGFACE Varangian Warthane

People forget it wasnt intended that everyone have every spell school in the game. Dfo would have been a lot better had they stuck to this notion.

Also I dont think i ever fully buffed for a fight on dfo literally ever

Thrill Kill, Slayven and Sero like this.
  6. Kol Taggar

Kol Taggar Infernal
    Loyal Legend

anything that gives any advantage feels compulsory to me

7. Methodico

Methodico Stormgraive

I think that an automatic buff, with all self buff in, should be activated when you choose to be a mage like destro. Is It so difficult?

Johhny Mad Dog and Battle Smurf like this.
  8. hirve

hirve Goblin Warlord

fwiw dnd and poe do self buffs nicely

dnd it costs some mana per second (below base regen so you can have a couple up all the time), poe it reduces your mana bar by x%

9. Auron

Auron Celestial
    Hero

Bpg condense the buffs...one for melee protections...one for magic...asten and unburden and i hope they want increase buff duration and decrease reflex...

Johhny Mad Dog likes this.
  10. Zuul Ghat

Zuul Ghat Dire Zombie
    Legend

Combining buffs into 1 buff is useless. If you are going to dumb them down might as well make them base line.

negocromn likes this.
  11. kilrain

kilrain Shadow Knight
    Staff Member Developer Team Lead

That's my outlook on it. Right now we're putting them back as they were and instead of just combining them we'll look at alternatives. For example we could make them part of a spec or maybe have a single 'master' spell that can be earned by maxing out all your self buffs. Something along those lines. Some kind of addition rather than just taking away.

MikerotchBAGFACE likes this.
  12. Lockz

Lockz Ghost
    Legend

In Shadowbane we had "Greater Concoction Potions"

Which basically gave you all of your self buffs.

Being able to craft an item (Food/Potion) that would grant you the benefits of your buffs when you drink it, would be interesting.

Have an alternative that costs something to skip casting all your buffs, and if you don't want to make it you can self-cast and that'll be fine.

Maybe put to use some of the enchant mats that aren't that expensive/used, and put it under enchanting, when you enchant a gem it would turn a distinct color, and using it destroys it and activates the buffs. Higher quality of enchantment = better buffs/duration. Could do Q4 is normal duration/magnitude and provide an incentive with Q5 giving surging buffs and longer than normal duration.

@kilrain

Volfen and kilrain like this.
  13. Leo Woods

Leo Woods Skeleton Archer

Pls don’t bring back self buffs @kilrain

14. kilrain

kilrain Shadow Knight
    Staff Member Developer Team Lead

It could use the enchanting mats and just be a regular craft. It would be best to not allow quality blending like in enchanting so that the levels match up better. Make it a cross between crafting and enchanting.

E.G.
    Greater Physical Concoction - some description about giving the physical protection buffs
    Ingredients: Darktaint, Bile, Cinder (obviously not those, but they are imprinted into my mind)
    It wouldn't require a specific Darktaint or whatever, but the quality you put in would determine the level of potion.
    --- Post updated ---
    It's a requirement for the previous balance to work out properly. If we're going to remove them we'll do it in a fashion that fits into the RPG aspect of the game instead of being lazy and just combining them into a single spell.

15. MEATGRIND

MEATGRIND Goblin Warrior

Self buffs were just an annoying part of Darkfall 1.0, keeping track of all the cooldowns as there were couple of them -.-

Degamra likes this.
  16. Auron

Auron Celestial
    Hero

sorry but why you don't like easy solutions....
    make self buff passive skills!!!!!!!!!!
    stop waste time please....

Johhny Mad Dog, Degamra and aparks like this.
  17. aparks

aparks Obsidian Golem
    Legend

Do debuffs not work on mobs? I remember when dest was incharge he did something to debuffs and some didn’t work on mobs anymore. I been trying some on mobs and I feel like it’s not doing anything. Things like tong rot and undeath and piercing and slashing

18. Lockz

Lockz Ghost
    Legend

Tounge rot works on mobs, things like the human champ though, it only has a ~10% chance to "stick" otherwise it resists it.

Undeath no idea.

Protection Debuffs work fine.

Stat/MeleeSlow/RangeSlow have never worked on mobs.

19. Battle Smurf

Battle Smurf Oak Lord
    Legend

Self Buffs are REQUIRED for mage vs destroyer balance

They must return in some way, just make them last until killed or log out or combine them or make them a specialization that makes them baseline but is incompatible with destroyer, indestructible, mage killer, and mage hunter @kilrain

20. Degamra

Degamra Air Elemental
    Hero

yeah Asheron's Call self buffs lasted hours. that wouldnt be bad.