Welcome to the Rise of Agon Community

Create an account today to engage in discussions and community events on the Rise of Agon forums.

Server Delay

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Mc Nasty, May 31, 2017.

1. Biceps

Biceps Infernal
    Legend

1) i call bullshit. the server has never been in EU to my knowledge so i wonder where that mysterious test was going down. 2) its a fact that backbones like DECIX(frankfurt) AMS-IX (amsterdam) and LINX (london) shit all over any other backbone on this planet. NYIIX (NY backbone) isnt even in top 10 with shit like warsaw, moscow, budapest and madrid ahead of it in terms of data transfer fyi. even stockholm is ahead of NY. dont fool urself into believing the server location was chosen as a middle ground for the playerbase. it was clearly not, the middle ground would have been london. simple as that.

if NA players get worse ping on an EU server than EU´s on an NA server its probaly west coasters and its due to their 3rd world connections within US aka not my problem, get that pathetic retard that is the head of your government to spend money on useful things like internet infrastructure and other stuff that is common in the 1st world instead of building a fucking wall to keep the mexicans out rofl.

2) im well aware that the current issues are not related to the server location at all and i mainly just tried to troll abit and what can i say, you bite easy. doesnt change the fact that the reasoning behind the choice to put it in NY was very clearly not to provide a middle ground that is fair to all players. that middle ground would have been london and thats an undenyable fact.

you could argue that NY was chosen considering the current playerbase which is more NA players than EU players, however its not just EU players you have to consider its also russians and asian players that would have been way better off with a server in EU. also considering we´re trying to get new players and i assume they arent all supposed to come from NA, so yeah NY is a more than questionable choice keeping all of this in mind.

#41 Biceps, Jun 7, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2017
    Drago and antix like this.
  2. Rawr

Rawr Chosen of Khamset

1) Not bullshit we tested it. We had people in EU and in NA ping back and forth for days. If you want to dig through my post history to 2015, feel free, the data is there unless the forums were archived already. Tried all the locations you listed, none of which worked out.

2) If London is the "MIDDLE GROUND" that bones all of west coast NA, and most of eastern NA.

It was even tried to drop something in Greenland (the internet is shit there) so it was dropped.

If I could drop the server on an oil rig in the middle of the ocean and hook it up to the deep sea cables, I would but not happening so we have to suck it up and accept it.

There are people from AUSTRALIA playing and they aren't whining about the server choice. They understood that the server was picked for the majority, if they put it on West Coast NA, all of EU would suffer worse.

The internet in the data center is not terrible, other than 1 unplanned outage where everybody (even the devs) lost connection.

My ping is not fluctuating at all, while I am playing from NA it has been a reliable 20, other than a few times on my laptop but that's a Wifi issue.

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
  3. Biceps

Biceps Infernal
    Legend

like i said the non existence of proper internet infrastructure within USA should not be the problem of the rest of the world. australians would end up with pretty much same ping as they do now as they wouldnt have to route through that mess that is west coast USA. they would route over asia/russia which is actually better even tho the geographic distance may be larger. eastern NA would be in the same boat as all of europe is now. around 100 ping which is acceptable. now think of all the russians/asians that have to route very long distances to even get to west coast only to get their already high ping literally doubled cos of your absolutely awful west -> east connection only to end up at the NY backbone that has less than 1/12th of a data transfer rate of DECIX and abit over 1/10th of LINX. oh and btw the datacenter where the server is located is not the backbone. the datacenter is connected to the backbone which is connected to other backbones in the world. thats the reason why almost all major mmos or online games in general have their servers in either frankfurt, amsterdam or london as those are the by far best on the planet.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Internet_exchange_points_by_size <-here is a list of you wanna see urself. you will have to scroll down quite abit to find NY tho. which is kinda my point. its garbage.

sry to break it to you but in terms of internet USA is simply a 3rd world country and has always been and you dont put internet services that are supposed to be equally available everywhere in a 3rd world country. it is that simple.

4. Swing

Swing Infernal
    Legend

We need an oil rig in the middle of the atlantic to host the servers.

Perhaps drill for oil too while we're at it.

5. STDIO

STDIO Gravelord
    Legend

Server access will never be equally available everywhere though... They had to pick somewhere and they picked the US East coast because it includes fair coverage to west coast US and to western Europe.

What's the problem with that? There's always going to be some regions with over 200 ping.

6. Chris

Chris Skeleton Archer
    Supporter

Why are people confusing ping with a shit server? 150 ping on this game would not matter, you would adjust.

What no one can adjust to is the server delays, they obviously don't have skilled people in that department though because I imagine this would be p[priority 1 to get right, unfortunately.

7. SenseiSpades

SenseiSpades Celestial
    Tester

Hey fuckboi euro kids, talk trash about our bad internet as much as you want, but without the US you guys would still be larping out in the forest.

Hate, apophis and Scrubby Bear like this.
  8. Biceps

Biceps Infernal
    Legend

they could have put the servers in europe cos it provides a fair coverage to east coast US, western europe, eastern europe, russia and asia.

whats the problem with that? there is always going to be some regions with over 200 ping.

see what i did there ?
    --- Post updated ---
    dont think anyone is confusing ping and server delays. this whole discussion about server location just started cos i wanted to troll abit and rawr did bite. obviously the server delay isnt caused by the location of the server. if i had to make an educated guess id say its caused by a faulty db query somewhere within the persistence system they reworked or possibly by some redundancy between the old and new persistence system that causes too much load on the db which in return delays its response to the server due to that high load. i base that on the fact that the delay isnt consistently happening at all times but only randomly for a few seconds aka when that mysterious query is doing its thing.

9. STDIO

STDIO Gravelord
    Legend

Sure but assuming a large majority of players are spread across the US and EU (which is a fair bet since those were the two DFO servers, and NA was by far more populated), then it doesn't make any sense to sacrifice coverage to those areas so that you can support other regions with substantially less players (sorry Russia).

The objective with server location is to give the best coverage to as many of your players as possible. If 25% of your players are west coast US then it doesn't make sense to sacrifice their connection so that you can support the 5% in Asia.

10. Biceps

Biceps Infernal
    Legend

true to some extend i agree. however dont be fooled. in the end ALOT of players on NA were actually players from EU that migrated to NA when the game as a whole started to die. NA has been the bigger server before that too but not by that much. also when your goal is to attract new players i assume that doesnt just include players from NA and EU but all over the world. wouldnt it then make sense to put the server in the location with the best possible internet connection to everywhere in the world to make it more appealing to those places? i think it does.

11. Rawr

Rawr Chosen of Khamset

The point is this, this problem, is not a ping problem. The location of the server, won't change anything. The problem is the stuttering with the server which is a back end problem.

Whining about the internet, won't change anything. Your ping is not spiking, not even for a second I can pretty much guarantee that. If you toggle on the ping display, it's not jumping up basically at all. There might be some minor packet loss (<5%) which is acceptable, and should have no performance impact.

At this time hits not registering, is a server back end issue, not connection.

The data center was picked based on the number of population at the time, which was primarily NA. Having a 100 ping isn't going to break you, you just need to adjust slightly. There were people in Australia playing on NA-1 back in AV's time with a 300 ping almost, Happy Kangaroos, I played with them they were fun.

12. STDIO

STDIO Gravelord
    Legend

That's fair and then you have to decide what regions have the greatest potential to bring in new players, and based on our past experiences it makes sense that our greatest potential is from the US and Europe.

13. qvq

qvq Goblin Shaman

If they keep complaining I believe there is a second pipeline that goes to eu from Miami. Would be same spot regionally with different pipeline.

14. apophis

apophis Goblin Warlord
    Legend

while on the backend you might be seeing improvements, isolating issues, and having some handle on the problem. it is pretty distressing as a player to see minimal improvement in 4+ weeks

Mc Nasty likes this.
  15. Killa162

Killa162 Crypt Guard

I'm on the East Coast with 20-30 ping. I get desync on RARE occasions. And mainly it's when I pull out my bow and the arrows dmg is delayed by no more then 1 second, but I get a hit marker and the arrow physically hits the target and disappears into it. Other then that I get normal lag and DC's ONLY when everyone else does from the server going down randomly.

So for me I haven't experienced huge lag spikes, or even ping variation with it climbing 20+ ping randomly. The only time my ping ever "spiked" is when I was in a siege riding to the siege stone(was attacking side getting setup). And our clan/alliance was all in one place and loaded in the same tile as the hamlet and got a "lag spike" from the game loading players. And at most my ping jumped to maybe 80 or 90. Which to me is a relatively low spike for a cluster of people. And while during the fight I was 10-20 ping above avg. So from 20-30 I jumped to 30-40 which is plenty doable for combat. The main issue I had was invisible arrows when knocking them, then firing there was no tracer of the arrow to gauge if I was firing too high or too low.

For me as each server adjustment patch comes along it only improves my play experience. But recently this new June 5th patch has thrown in some downtime that hasn't been good for RoA.

16. mybsurchin

mybsurchin Celestial

it's like 3 devs who just pushed out a huge housing update geared towards nolifers -consider it a miracle that the server functions at all
    London is only a middle ground if you include Asia. I don't think this game is very popular in Asia so NY is the best choice

Personally I say screw Europe altogether and put the server in Dallas

17. BunionToes

BunionToes Goblin Warrior

Good to know the DF community is still full of blathering idiots. I have 60 ping and see server delay. server delay is NOT related to network latency.

All of this said, most of the server delay is gone. It still now comes and goes but not nearly as pervasive as it has been. Keep improving the back-end guys. Doing a great job with a small team.

Killa162 likes this.
  18. Biceps

Biceps Infernal
    Legend

yea lets just pretend that those experiences arent based on the fact that the game has always been pretty much unplayable outside of those 2 regions. both russia and asia are GIGANTIC gaming markets with much higher potential than both NA and EU but yea ppl wont bother with 300-400 ping. they will just keep playing LoL or other games that give them reasonable connections.

19. mybsurchin

mybsurchin Celestial

I only skimmed the thread but I don't think people are actually conflating ping and server delay

The discussion of the server location is something seperate that people are arguing about

But it does make you look clever when you call everyone blathering idiots
    --- Post updated ---
    Are you sure your motivation is marketing to the Chinese or do you just care about reducing your own ping? ;)

20. Killa162

Killa162 Crypt Guard

I know you're not targeting me specifically, but I know desync is caused by all the actions the server has to intake then represent it on your screen. Just like a ArmA server for a vehicle convoy, the server is trying to register where all the vehicles and players inside the vehicles are and keep them moving relative to the speed and spacing. Sometimes the server can't keep up and creates desync and desync reacts in weird ways. Resulting in the vehicles to stop infront of you, or slide off in a direction, but their doing the same thing your doing. Going forward but the server relayed it to you differently. aka desync.