Welcome to the Rise of Agon Community

Create an account today to engage in discussions and community events on the Rise of Agon forums.

Server Location: New York - Why?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Kilset, Oct 10, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DeadlyHit

DeadlyHit Chosen of Khamset
    Legend

I Get 80 I'm so happy with that its better then 100+

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
  2. Leg enD

Leg enD Ghost

I don't think im alone when I say I will not join any usual FPS game server with a ping over 60

bf4 I exclusively play on UK servers for that <20ping, im not saying I wont play, ofc I will but imo FPS games survive for years because they're competitive to play, high pings are not competitive they're a handicap :( in dfo, like every other game ever, ~65ms is the tipping point where you can notice delays

its ok, im hopeful we'll be needing an EU server after 6-12 months (maybe even less?!?!)

3. Rawr

Rawr Chosen of Khamset

If we need it we'll look at it definitely!

4. Kal VenoM

Kal VenoM Skeleton Archer
    Legend

Don't worry dude. You don't need a low ping to compete with the Americans. I mean, Pure won a tournament on their server for crying out loud! =D

5. Kilset

Kilset Black Knight
    Hero

Hey were you Canis Ovum on NA?

6. Rawr

Rawr Chosen of Khamset

7. Kilset

Kilset Black Knight
    Hero

we were bros....

rip hintenfau alliance.

8. Kal VenoM

Kal VenoM Skeleton Archer
    Legend

Haha! I was only joking :) ... The alliance lives on!

9. Andrew

Andrew Obsidian Golem
    Staff Member BPG Representative

Cost wise we could easily run multiple servers it looks like based on our current quotes(Obviously may change but quotes were way less than we originally budgeted for actually...) but the question is population. We won't set up another server till we absolutely know we can get a decent population there.

We are also looking at and have been since early on in the project a potential solution to basically streamline routing. I can't go into details because it is too early to but hopefully if our plans work we can seriously lower global pings and give Aussies and others a better ping!

10. Action_Jackson

Action_Jackson Deadeye
    Hero

Us server is just stupid. Europe has way more gamers than the us. Just cause of the 300 people registered here, 2/3 are from us doesnt mean a thing.
    Europe is the center of the world and the eastern european people are toally fucked with a us server. And by the way i get a shitty 120 ping to yankeetown

11. Forgotten

Forgotten Goblin Warlord
    Benefactor Supporter

That's not true at all NA has always had twice the population of EU if not more and I played DF1 on the NA server with 140 ping for about a year and it was more than playable.

12. Action_Jackson

Action_Jackson Deadeye
    Hero

Ya i know NA had way more, was talking about potential gamers.
    I never played on the US server, so i guessed its quite hard to play with such a shitty ping.
    Eastern European people are still fucked...

13. Lord Kick

Lord Kick Crypt Guard
    Legend

The discussion of one location being screwed more than another is an irrelevant topic. We have all agreed upon the requirement of having only a single server. At this point it's a conversation of "where do we put it to screw over the LEAST amount of people". That location was to either be on the east coast US(New York) or West coast UK(probably Whitesands Bay area).

Now that we have our two possible locations determined, lets take into account who gets screwed over more... On east coast US, the Aussies get screwed and eastern europe gets screwed. On the west coast England, the aussies get screwed and the west coast US gets screwed. Aussies get screwed no matter what so we take them out of the equation. Which geographical location now has more people that would play this game? The answer to that question is the west coast of NA (not just US). Thus the determination of the New York location. Further argument on this topic is worthless. The New York server is located for the optimal performance of the global population on the communities request for a single server.

Be happy and stop complaining.

14. Andrew

Andrew Obsidian Golem
    Staff Member BPG Representative

Ultimately we hope to expand to a European server and hopefully an oceanic. However to do so without being assured to get 5,000+ concurrent users without splitting current servers we will be monitoring loads carefully. With our deployable system opening up living space and hopefully spreading population around coupled with cheaper server hardware we will push the single server as long as we can before opening a second.

EU would more than likely be our target for a second server with a centralised server to cover all of EU decently. An oceanic server would then follow probably if we see the potential there. It would most likely have to be coupled with a massive advertising campaign to ensure a strong population. That's distant though and only the EU server has really had any thought so far. Given Darkfall's history we don't want to make promises for things till we know more assuredly we can make that promise. We have estimations but avoid hard dates because there's too many unknowns right now.

15. scarletpimpernel

scarletpimpernel New Member
    Hero

Getting c.87ms from the UK (Manchester).

Seems ok to me assuming this is indicative of the NY server.

16. onslaught

onslaught Black Knight
    Patron

So if you eventually open up a EU server, is the NA server staying in NY?

17. negocromn

negocromn Black Knight
    Legend

I don't want to be negative, but RoA would have to be more successful than Darkfall ever was to make creating another server really viable. Else we would have two empty worlds instead of decently populated one.

18. onslaught

onslaught Black Knight
    Patron

That goes without saying...

19. negocromn

negocromn Black Knight
    Legend

Well, just saying it's almost impossible we ever see an european server if Kimoshu keeps his word of not spreading the population thin.

20. gosti

gosti Frostjarl
    Legend

110ms
    meh...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.