Welcome to the Rise of Agon Community

Create an account today to engage in discussions and community events on the Rise of Agon forums.

server wipe

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by shortjollio, Aug 20, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shortjollio

shortjollio New Member

is this a possibility? I know I would come back for another huzzah if this were the case, I'm sure a lot more people would as well.

Leo Woods, Funky zeit, Sique and 3 others like this.
  2. Kael Trighton

Kael Trighton Deadeye
    Benefactor Tester

I mentioned it once recently and got flamed. Ppl are very attached to their pixels and would rather have them instead of a healthy game population.

Raap, Leo Woods, Sique and 3 others like this.
  3. Battle Smurf

Battle Smurf Oak Lord
    Legend

BPG should fix the game then shutdown servers, do a 2 week marketing campaign, and then wipe relaunch under a new name/expansion.

They should also look into weekly soft/hard caps for crafting and character progression to prevent early game vet/ try hards from gaining huge snowballing power advantages which cause others to quit.

That way you lengthen progressive to keep people playing/ having stuff to do longer, while allowing super fast catchup mechanics for people who join late, while letting people experience the "different/ more fun early gaje" for a bit longer.

Staggered/ soft capped progression also has the side benefit of giving BPG more breathing room post launch to add new patches/stuff.

I suggested these things in early 2016 pre RoA launch but got ignored by BPG, here's hoping they're capable of learning from past mistakes

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
  4. Rimamok

Rimamok Spellgazer
    Legend

IMO once a company gets a reputation for doing wipes, people will be unwilling to invest further time, for fear of future wipes.

Myself, I prefer soft wipes where gear loses some of its value but not all. So people still have SOMETHING to show for all their previous effort.

Bound, The Red King and Andrew like this.
  5. Auron

Auron Chosen of Khamset
    Hero

6. Chantree

Chantree Dire Zombie
    Wealthy Legend

this

Methodico likes this.
  7. Sorrow Avaritia

Hero

A lot of people have spent a long time grinding with the expectation of never having a bank or char wipe, it would really suck for them people to lose their stuff.

The Red King and Andrew like this.
  8. Sero

Sero Gnoll Vilegaunt
    Loyal Legend

Nope. Been stated a million times. Nope.

Server wipe doesn't fix the problem. All it does is create a temporary population burst while ruining the games reputation as a persistent MMORPG game world and pissing off your loyals.

9. Andrew

Andrew Obsidian Golem
    Staff Member BPG Representative

This is pretty much our thoughts exactly on the matter. We can't foresee a realistic scenario where the pros outweigh the cons to do a hard wipe. If a rebalance is required for some extreme reason that cannot be handled over time with adjustments we might consider some kind of "soft wipe" but we feel that's an extreme measure and has possible long term negative effects making it a last resort.

We have no plans on any kinds of wipes at this time in any capacity and a hard wipe is not an option we'd consider. We understand the arguments for it but we disagree that the pros out weigh the cons.

Grimtide, streaml1ne, rats and 3 others like this.
  10. Shieldbreaker

Shieldbreaker Crypt Guard
    Benefactor

Everyone sure has a short memory. The mere fact that AV refused to deny a potential wipe in the future made the population plummet.

A game with long-term progression, a MMORPG, won't be popular if no one wants to do any progression, since it will be wiped at some point anyways. A soft wipe, where some power creep makes older gear not so good, buffed gains making older grind less valuable, I am sure those are fine options, but a hard wipe, no way.

Mea Kulpa, Volfen, rats and 2 others like this.
  11. Yomi Scythetalon

Yomi Scythetalon Cairn Giant
    Legend Streamer Contributor

94c.png

12. Thrill Kill

Thrill Kill Goblin Shaman
    Supporter

This really needs to be looked into, although personally, I don't think a catch-up mechanic is needed. Unfortunately, the small, vocal majority want to pixel hug.

13. Yomi Scythetalon

Im pretty vocal, and i could care less if inget wiped or not. Look at where Im at. Fat bank, I dont farm, I only wanna fight....no one to fight. Log off.

If wiping brings in players then wipe. Doesnt bother me. How do I lose gear if theres no one to take it from me? Hell Id be forced to be much more active if there was a wipe just to atleast build my bank again.

Sique likes this.
  14. Slayven

Slayven Eodrin
    Legend

Sad but true

Mea Kulpa likes this.
  15. Shieldbreaker

Shieldbreaker Crypt Guard
    Benefactor

Think of the flipside - you are giving the notion that long-term players do not matter, so existing ones probably quit, no long term players want to join, and those who claim to want to come back, come back for a month or 2 and quit again.

Same shit happened in unholy shit - it launched, had some population on launch, but most vets quit soon afterward, and hardly any new players came in.

Slayven likes this.
  16. Bakken

Bakken Goblin Scout

Soft wipe when TCS and stuff is added. with years of people harvesting mines new players have zero chance of catching up at this point. not even getting into rebalanced loot, exploits not rolled back etc.

17. Yomi Scythetalon

Sure are alot of new forum posters lately no?

Sero likes this.
  18. Not_Primetime

Not_Primetime Winterbound
    Wealthy Legend

Use your brain just a little. Yeah, since we now have a system to purchase in game currency with real world currency means there will be no wipes EVER. No it's not because "a ton of people that are really opposed to it". It would actually be illegal unless they refunded all the cash flow from those transactions that they have already spent. We have passed the point of no return.

19. Sorrow Avaritia

Hero

If you actually farm you can catch up in a week, people are just lazy, this is suppose to be an mmo not an arena game.

20. MikeJT

MikeJT Black Knight
    Supporter

I can't imagine there would be a massive spike in pop for a server wipe.

There might be a few people that come back just to max out their characters across a few days, take a few prime cities and then log off and not log on until a holding is threatened.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.