Welcome to the Rise of Agon Community

Create an account today to engage in discussions and community events on the Rise of Agon forums.

Should protection enchants be condensed?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Billy Lee, Jun 18, 2019.

?

Should protection enchants be condensed into only magical and physical?

1. Yes

24 vote(s)
    46.2%
  2. No

28 vote(s)
    53.8%
  1. Billy Lee

Billy Lee Loremaster
    Staff Member BPG Representative Lifetime

Currently, there is a protection enchant for each damage type. This creates a rock/paper/scissors element to gearing and many of these enchants seldom see play, unholy protection for example. This also affects champion loot, most people would be happy with a Q6 physical protection gem or a Q6 slashing protection gem, but a Q6 cold protection gem is significantly less useful and worth less. I like the idea of introducing more enchanted gems to pve but the current setup makes that complicated. How do you feel about this?

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
    Auron likes this.
  2. Brando Pando

Brando Pando Crypt Guard
    Patron

I kind of like picking out my protection enchants and the fact that you cant really cover all of your bases. Just having two types would be kind of boring and doesn’t really accomplish much.

Nat, Fawley and Fengor like this.
  3. Degamra

Degamra Winterbound
    Hero

I am not a fan of your proposal. To cover more bases though, perhaps allow room for more slots that can be imbued with protections IE: Earrings, and a new set of underclothes mastery crafted pants that have an enchantable Belt buckle or something for 2 more

Fengor and Billy Lee like this.
  4. Fawley

Fawley Infernal
    Legend

I think it's just a symptom of a problem. That problem being that there's some very specific damage types that are better than others.

Without other changes this would just increase the amount you need to invest into a gear set. And everything would need enchants.

5. Billy Lee

Billy Lee Loremaster

I like picking my protection enchants too but most of them are not useful so it's mostly everyone using the same ones. In the past, I was against the idea of condensing protection enchants but I don't see a lot of value in the current setup. Slashing is almost indisputably the best protection enchant, it's practically defaulted. It's like a tier list currently with a little room to exploit people in arranged fights.

Scrapnotcrap likes this.
  6. Nat

Nat Shadow Knight
    Legend

Damage types need to be balanced. Fire is obviously strongest because of magma and fireball, slashing because of greatswords... leads to boring choices when it comes to protection enchants. Condensing would just be simplifying to balance a system that needs depth instead.

Billy Lee and Brando Pando like this.
  7. Brando Pando

Brando Pando Crypt Guard
    Patron

If everyone uses the same type of enchants then it opens up more possibilities for different weapons and spells to shine (like taking out a war hammer to deal bludgeoning, or using a different school of magic other than fire/lightning). I like the protection enchant design much more than enchants like encumbrance/keen which are must haves.

It would be nice if some other schools got some love to make other damage types a bit more appealing, but that's a slippery slope.

Ultimately, I don't think protection enchants are an issue and I enjoy every opportunity I get to customize my characters gear profile. This type of change would be in line with the homogenization of weapons, which was another change that I thought was dumb/hurt the game. Wow took a similar approach to making pvp gear baseline and removing much of the ability to fine tune gear set ups and it just makes gear boring and uninteresting.

#7 Brando Pando, Jun 18, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2019
    Pink Taco and Billy Lee like this.
  8. Grimtide

Grimtide Evil Eye
    Legend

Combining the enchants would make it less tedious for sure. I'm alright either way, my real problem is with the enchanting menu. needs to be less aids to enchant. nobody likes dragging and dropping that many things for 1 enchant when you need like ~8+ for a gearbag (stam eff, feather, magnitude, mana eff, keens (on at least one weapon, bow or melee weap), and 3 random prots which are generally always slash + 2 others.

9. kilrain

kilrain Shadow Knight
    Staff Member Developer Team Lead

enchanting window will be simplified. Select the enchant type, select the quality, if you have the ingredients and gem they will be put into the slots. If there are empty slots, meaning you don't have the quality you need, you can substitute others on your own.

10. Billy Lee

Billy Lee Loremaster

I do like the protection enchants a lot in theory but in practice, they don't work the best imo, there are so many damage types and if everything was perfectly balanced you'd have no real incentive to pick anything in particular.If anything it would just be random luck if your chosen enchants paid off.

11. kilrain

kilrain Shadow Knight
    Staff Member Developer Team Lead

I've never liked the idea of combining everything, it just makes the game more shallow.

12. Billy Lee

Billy Lee Loremaster

I don't like it either but it seems much more practical. Maybe if the schools and weapons were balanced a bit differently I could see it being good.I do think the weaker protection enchants could be awesome in future pve boss fights. Maybe an ice boss is so deadly you need cold protection enchants to battle him.

Brando Pando likes this.
  13. Auron

Auron Chosen of Khamset
    Hero

Condense al the phisical protections....all magic....do that guys!great idea billy!that simplify the game for new players....

14. Blaze

Blaze Black Knight

So atm u have 5 enchant slots
    2 are default, encumbrance and stam efficiency
    Leaves you with 3 other enchant choices.
    I disagree with billy when saying slashing is the most dominant, would have to say fire is a must have.
    Now since fire is a must have most heavies go with slashing and then piercing since daggers best melee for mages to kill heavies
    Now a mage can do slashing or arrow/piercing depends
    --- Post updated ---
    But like someone else said allowing u to pick your enchants allows for other thing to shine like clubs or water r50 instead.
    The biggest issue was the enchant windows and how hard it was to sell enchants via market it won’t be as tedious Hopefully with new enchant window

Fengor likes this.
  15. Billy Lee

Billy Lee Loremaster

Slashing is useful against more opponents though, like destroyers and probably archers in the next patch, fire is vs mage only. I really believe that protection enchants should not be factored into weapon balance at all, all weapons should be able to compete roughly equally.

Scrapnotcrap likes this.
  16. Inkarnation

Inkarnation Frostjarl
    Legend

How about just remove them? #lesstedium
    #stopcrutchingonq5everything

17. Auron

Auron Chosen of Khamset
    Hero

If you condense the melee and magic enchant..we can put enqumbrance on helm...stam eff chest....one ring melee the other ring magic and anothe enchant on the amulet....

After the armour patch that change help alot mage in robe because on robes you can put only 2 enchant ( speed and duration ) and on the 3 "rings" melee defence...magic defense and stamina efficency
    --- Post updated ---
    You have only balance warior/archer vs mage....when all have one ring whit magic defense....

18. Billy Lee

Billy Lee Loremaster

I don't have a major preference on this btw, I will be happy either way. I think having a bunch of different protection enchants is cooler but in the current meta it does not seem so great. I like being able to choose my enchants but the choice feels artificial right now.

19. Oresmacker

Oresmacker Obsidian Golem
    Supporter

As a destro I like rock 3 physical protections, and archery if I know there will be a lot of water. I wear fire sometimes only because I have a bunch premade. I also block a lot spells- or at least try to.

I didn’t vote, I’m wishy washy on that idea.

Billy Lee likes this.
  20. Billy Lee

Billy Lee Loremaster

I also did not vote, for the same reason :) I was mainly curious how others feel as I know both styles have supporters.

Oresmacker likes this.