Welcome to the Rise of Agon Community

Create an account today to engage in discussions and community events on the Rise of Agon forums.

Shrink the world. this world was build for 10k online.

Discussion in 'Game Design Discussion' started by ludmitr87, Oct 25, 2017.

1. ludmitr87

ludmitr87 Goblin Scout
    Loyal Patron Tester

leave only main land without islands. this world is too big for our small comunity

Scrapnotcrap likes this.
  2. Sean Connery

Sean Connery Earth Elemental
    Tester

Not going to happen. players own stuff on the sub continents. The best farm is there also.

3. Korag

Korag Evil Eye
    Hero

and what would if...
    They are able to fix this game and make it much more desirable to the point of having a 10k pop return? just redo the map again?
    People really need to think things out before suggesting silly shit on these forums.
    Rune books and subway and all that other shit makes the world smaller and is more than sufficient

Sean Connery likes this.
  4. MikeJT

MikeJT Black Knight
    Supporter

Introduction of more fast travel is basically an admission that even BPG don't expect this game to ever have a decent population. You don't introduce features that aren't necessary with a decent population if you think you're going to have a decent population.

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
  5. Korag

Korag Evil Eye
    Hero

Av should have done this, and this should have been in during launch
    This makes sense with any pop.

#5 Korag, Oct 26, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2017
  6. MikeJT

MikeJT Black Knight
    Supporter

The only reason to use fast travel at DFO launch was to avoid PvP.

People asking for fast travel back then were called carebears and told to go back to WoW.

You couldn't travel from A to B without a very high chance of running into PvP.

Now people are demanding fast travel because no one's playing the game. LOL

I played with probably a dozen of people who left the game and never came back.

None of them left for lack of fast travel, and they're not going to come back because of it either.

I'll wait for a month til after free trials end and see if the pop is any better.

My prediction is it'll be back where it is now.

7. Korag

Korag Evil Eye
    Hero

Your severely out of touch with reality, I was "people" back in df1 played from launch on and I along with many many others asked for fast travel way back then, they added portal chambers, their are those like yourself screaming for no fast travel and always have been but majority has always wanted it. Fast travel brings a player more chances for pvp not less, so your out of touch comment regarding care bears would be the reaction your having to it non the pvp crowds reaction as they clearly love the idea overall.
    We have lost thousands of players for various reason and weather we lost a dozen over fast travel or not is irrelevant and I do not expect this patch to do a lot for retention because it isn't content and content is what the game needs but the rune books are fucking awesome and should entice a larger crowd to play then current but it matters little if they have no where worth going.
    Did you really give your bank away in sang by suicide?

Carrot Soup, MikeJT and Nerfsy like this.
  8. MikeJT

MikeJT Black Knight
    Supporter

Yeah I was people too.

The 12 people that left were just 12 that left that I directly played with - ie. grouped with and PvE'd and PvP'd with. Their views were echo'd by hundreds of people on forums. Fast travel threads? Sure they existed but from a handful of people. Not a 'majority'. No where near it.

I have no idea why you were having trouble finding PvP on NA-1 in the early days. There was PvP absolutely everywhere. You literally couldn't do anything for more than 20 minutes without getting PvP.

First time I travelled from Sanguine to Ymir's Tear there was 4 people who tried to chase me down and attack me and I didn't even have heal-mount. That was 4 different individuals not a group of 4. I had to try 3 times to get to my clan city when I finally joined a clan because I was heading there solo and got ganked half way twice before I could bind in a city.

The vast majority of threads I read demanding fast travel were demanding it because they didn't want to get ganked travelling from A to B.

I had 280 ping when I first started playing DFO and it took weeks to level magic if you weren't exploiting/afk macroing/poopsocking the shit out of the game. There was also still full damage splash damage and no global cooldowns so I spent most of my time gathering and reading forums. I was working 8 hours a day, then coming home to Darkfall and gathering, trading, talking to people in game and reading forums.

Plenty of people asked for "faster travel", in the form of things like mount speed bonuses on roads and faster ships - ideas most people supported, but in good old Av fashion, we never got.

If you want to know why people quit - especially those 12 who quit for the same reason as hundreds who wrote on forums?

Grind. Or, not so much the grind, but the fact that other people were macroing and exploiting to get ahead and you literally stood no chance. If everyone had been on an equal playing field, I'm sure more people would've stuck around.

The Menhir spawn south of Chillbourne was probably one of the biggest PvP hotspots, not because of great loot, but because you could bug the Menhir into the corner and go afk whilst you macroed a spell on it. Were most of these people banned? No. They weren't.

Lack of build diversity was another issue (still is) - Pre-global cooldowns, splash damage fall off, etc doing anything but playing mage wasn't really an option. People argued "no magic is balanced", and then frequently in the same thread, acknowledge it was overpowered by saying "magic should be more powerful because it cost more to level!"

Gear costs also frustrated people - you needed a suit of full-plate to compete with a guy in robes with a black bolt.

The game literally rewarded you more for landing your spell behind them than hitting them. I was behind the "nerf splash damage" crowd on forums and argued with plenty of "hurrr durr magic is balanced you're all just shit" people for weeks.

And no I didn't give my bank away in a Sanguine suicide, I gave most of my bank to clan mates and other people I'd been playing with, then emptied all the junk in my bank into my inventory. I had been farming so there was a handful of mahogany and limestone and other random crap there too.

I keep a "Trash" bag in my bank and vendor it every couple of days. That was pretty most of what was on me when I said "Lucky dip!" in trade.

I was thinking about putting individual items in each bag so people looting couldn't see what they were looting unless they opened the bag but that would've been too much effort.

#8 MikeJT, Oct 26, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2017
  9. Korag

Korag Evil Eye
    Hero

You mentioned several factors that affected population and not one of them had to do with fast travel why? Because it really doesn't have much of an effect in a negative way because it benefits causals every bit if not more than it does the "no lifers" It allows casuals to do more and see more in a limited amount of play time. This is a godsend to them regardless of the population. I have barely even messed with the rune books but when I think about the possibilities it opens up I get a little bit excited about darkfall again. Is it going to fix all of darkfall's problems? Hell no! not even close but it is a very positive start and adds a lot to the game pop or no pop.
    You Should try and see it from a different perspective. Sure it means people not living close to a holding can reach that holding a little bit quicker but it also means the people in that holding are not restricted as much and can freely travers the map in a respectable amount of time finding things to do (soon as BPG adds those things to do) It is a win win if you look at it with open eyes and mind rather than sit back and doom saying the shit out of it.

10. MikeJT

MikeJT Black Knight
    Supporter

I can see things from other people's perspective. That's why I argued for numerous changes to the game, just not fast travel.

Even most of the people arguing that "fast travel is casual friendly", aren't casuals.

For most of Darkfall history and suggestion to make the game more casual friendly was met with "this game isn't for casuals. If you can't hack it leave." Now people are backed by the developer, suddenly everyone's a casual.

The hypocrisy of this community astounds me because before BPG's "pivotal moment", no one gave two shits about casual players. And a lot of those people on these forums were the same people I was arguing with back in 2009-2011 to make the game more casual friendly.

When I was working 40 hours a week and studying part-time at the same time did anyone give two shits about me back then? Nope. Yet same people today are demanding "casual friendly" features.

The issue back then was being a casual player meant that for weeks on end you had absolutely no chance in PvP against poopsockers, macroers and exploiters. But at the very least, you could distance yourself from them.

When portals came in, tonnes of people lost their cities/hamlets to bigger stronger clans full of veterans. That wasn't the end of the issues portals created. Because travel was faster, you went from getting hit once every hour, to getting hit once every 15 minutes. There was never a break in the PvP.

Trying to level something? PvP. Trying to farm up something? PvP. Trying to craft? PvP. Trying to duel with your clan mates? PvP.

Instead of getting attacked once an hour by enemies in your local area, you would get hit with a PvP group from Cairn, a PvP group from Yssam, a PvP group from Ruby, a PvP group from center map, and after that the PvP group from Cairn was back. Lower tiered players became a gear-farm for the top 40%. Of course that top 40% quickly turned into the top 90% as everyone left the game and new player stuck around for a week at most.

Fast travel isn't going to do shit to help casuals when it helps the poopsockers just as much if not more. Won't be long until the top tiers will have Q5 keens, feathers, magnitudes and stamina efficiencies on all their gear because, guess what, it now takes no time to travel to get these things.

That just creates gear inflation forcing more people to go out to farm for more and better gear to stay relevant in the game.

Casual friendly? HA! New player friendly? HA!

11. Korag

Korag Evil Eye
    Hero

I mean since this discussion is with me back and fourth stop making assumptions. I have always since BPG started this project and I involved myself promoted for the casual player. The Casual player is the most important in this game they are the majority and without them the game will not last and regardless of how much it hurts your feelings or makes your argument invalid the fact is their that Fast travel greatly benefits the casual player and no matter how much bitching you do about it, that fact remains true and constant.

Tons of clans lost holding to bigger badder clans regardless I wonder how much of that had to do with it being a pvp/conquest game?
    UW did not have portals and guess what the Big bad ass clans still took tons of holdings from people. Your argument has 0 validity find a new angle cause the one your stuck on is wrong and flawed and been proven so multiple times now.

Your an angry ass kid I tell ya. The higher end players or "poopsockers" will have all that high end gear regardless of fast travel so why try to use it in an argument? they did in df1 and they did in UW and they do in ROA so fast travel has absolutely nothing to do with that fact. Stop trying to combine the 2 they are not related at all.

Tell me one way that fast travel doesn't help the casual player?? More options of what he can do and less time to go to get it done. This is not rocket science it is basic very basic common sense. Please take a moment and try real hard to apply it.

12. MikeJT

MikeJT Black Knight
    Supporter

This post proves to me that you haven't been reading what I'm saying.

When you can demonstrate that you are actually reading my posts, I'll continue discussing this with you. Otherwise I'm just wasting my time.
    --- Post updated ---
    I seriously feel like Duchovny's character in Zoolander every day on these forums.

13. Korag

Korag Evil Eye
    Hero

Yes you must be right. No fast travel in UW but it died faster than df1
    ROA Server died without fast travel and has been lower pop then beta when we had chambers in cities aka fast travel
    You can sit all smug thinking you know something but the truth is your afraid that people gonna come and kill ya at your secret farm spots a lot more often witch is the driving force behind your dislike of fast travel. You have 0 facts to back up your claims about fast travel and in fact I just posted facts disproving your fallacy.

14. MikeJT

MikeJT Black Knight
    Supporter

So you're saying that Darkfall Unholy Wars failed because it had no fast travel, but Darkfall Online.. oh wait it failed too.

15. Korag

Korag Evil Eye
    Hero

I said it died faster and did not have fast travel. Your trying to claim fast travel is bad but in the game that did not have it died faster than the game that did. Anyone with half a brain knows why df1 died and I promise you it wasn't portal chambers.

Clearly your not reading my posts so I am not going to waste my time explain simple and basic common sense to you any longer as you fail to possess the ability to comprehend basic English.

Nerfsy likes this.
  16. LisaL

LisaL Stormgraive
    Legend

You are retarded.

Nerfsy likes this.
  17. Nerfsy

Nerfsy Goblin Warlord

We agree on something LOL

18. rikilii

rikilii Celestial

If the community stays this small for as long as it would take them to shrink the world, it's more than likely that the only way they'll actually shrink it is by pulling the plug.

19. RootedOak

RootedOak Oak Lord
    Legend

20. soulpcbr

soulpcbr Infernal

There are people who want to explore the world. If you want to do pvp go to the villages that The Prodigy and WW get you.

Forgotten likes this.