Welcome to the Rise of Agon Community

Create an account today to engage in discussions and community events on the Rise of Agon forums.

Siege Discussion

Discussion in 'Design Discussions' started by kilrain, May 30, 2019.

1. Billy Lee

Billy Lee Loremaster
    Staff Member BPG Representative Lifetime

Fair enough, let's not derail too much. I like the pve because it requires real skill, even if it may seem basic you actually have to aim your attacks, you can get swarmed if you get frisky, and even goblins and scumlings get kills on new players. I also like the style of loot, instead of just chasing raid tier equipment to progress in pve, RoA loot gears you up for pvp or more efficient pve that isn't locked behind required gear progression. If you're good at farming you can beat the monsters. Most mmos simply involve planting your feet and spamming 1,2,3,4,5,6,7 until stuff dies, no chance of losing outside of being killed by boss gimmicks. I've met many people that use macros for their entire skill rotation and even people that turn with their keyboard.

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
    #161 Billy Lee, Jun 1, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2019
  2. Battle Smurf

Battle Smurf Oak Lord
    Legend

To the people complaining about Darkfall PvE mechanics I just want to know what Sandbox PvP MMORPG you've played that does it better?

Everything I have played is actually worse

3. CreZee

CreZee Stormgraive
    Loyal Supporter

Ok just because other games you've played are worse does not mean this one is acceptable or can't be improved. The idea is to make the game enjoyable for all walks of life. Right now the game is 100% wolves and no sheep. Why? Because the sheep join the game, play it for a couple months, realize the PVE is stale and they can't win the PVP. So they are left with the decision to farm just for farming's sake, when it's not really enjoyable. This has been multiple people's argument since DF1 and very little has ever been done to rectify the situation.

Thus - They quit.

Scrapnotcrap likes this.
  4. Animal

Animal Eodrin
    Hero

@CreZee The PvE is hardly stale - the problem is the lack of separation between PvE and PvP progression.

If they had any semblance of PvE progression, then the sheep would have an area in which they could excel to compete with their losses against the wolves. Would there be outliers that play enough to excel at both? Sure. However, it would stop people like myself from being able to barely play the game and still control players that play every day.

Blaze, Fawley and Fengor like this.
  5. Billy Lee

Billy Lee Loremaster

Please elaborate :)

6. CreZee

CreZee Stormgraive
    Loyal Supporter

They have PvE progression. Tasks that have 5 tiers to them each, which eventually leads players to a nice little title to put at the end of their name. I don't think it's enough though, because like I've said it's just too boring to actually want to complete those quests because none of them are challenging. They are just time consuming. People sometimes like to mindlessly grind, but they also like to be pushed as well.

7. Animal

Animal Eodrin
    Hero

@Billy Lee I've already elaborated multiple times on the topic. It won't be implemented unless I force myself to waste time developing it for free.

@CreZee That's title progression - not PvE progression. The PvE doesn't change during that grind nor does your characters ability to kill what you're grinding.

There should be entirely separate calculations for PvE and PvP, as well as unbounded linearly scaling PvE stats. It makes the math easy and introducing new monsters easy to scale w.r.t difficulty.

Coupling the way in which your character progresses and the damage calculations between PvE and PvP is a recipe for disaster because you can never balance between the two without a giant headache.

Fengor, Blaze, Fawley and 3 others like this.
  8. Fawley

Fawley Infernal
    Legend

Yeah having the same PvE and PvP scaling is basically impossible in an open world pvp game that has no limitations on who can fight who. Other games do it with where you can only fight people near your level but that doesn't work as well in this game and this game doesn't have a "level" that your character is.

9. Scrapnotcrap

Scrapnotcrap Eodrin
    Loyal Hero

A lot will disagree with me, but i dont find the sandbox genre to be good at all.

Runescape is probably the closest game to a sandbox that i have tried and i enjoy any none pvp content that this game has to offer, especially questing.

I prefer br games like apex

#169 Scrapnotcrap, Jun 1, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2019
  10. TyteDaddyTite

TyteDaddyTite Obsidian Golem
    Legend

Yes, the tasks were a good start, but BPG has failed to see that they can expand on them to be much more than just kill x amount of mobs for a title... How about some epic mounts, neat skins, rare and powerful weapons or armor, character bonuses(relic style stuff), rare house decorations for rewards.

11. Billy Lee

Billy Lee Loremaster

Maybe the more tasks you complete, the higher your destroyer damage gets :D Seriously though, task rewards can be really tricky. I agree that new, cooler rewards would be nice but alts are a concern. You are right of course, more interesting rewards would be great.

12. MikerotchBAGFACE

MikerotchBAGFACE Varangian Warthane

Im suggesting they add actual end game PvP content. An arena with elo and a point system that allows you to buy gear etc.

13. ZeuZ

ZeuZ Undead Dwarf

I always thought of some sort of concept like this but the opposite. Was thinking only during siege time clans / alliances at war was the only time it was full loot. All other times (non war) was just inventory drop in regular open world.

Only way to really make the game more populated is you have to cater to the pvers / rpers. Darkfall is not easy to play, its full loot, fps style where your twitch (and ping) can reign supreme. Those elements alone rule out 99.9% of mmo population, why do you think wow has a zillion more players? Now we can sit here and be happy and keep the game as it and be content with the population, or just do something drastic to change it.

Most people wear the best shit for sieges anyways so it would fit the scheme. Plus and most importantly nolifers killing noobs doesn't hurt them at all since they don't lose their gear. We can even go farther making mainland farming if you die to players you drop nothing (except center map, keep that full loot?), but pvp death on islands its inventory loot only and of course siege/war time its full loot.

I don't know, just throwing out ideas having been playing mmos since 01` and seeing how high populated games cater the majority. I'm with everyone else on though when it comes to not changing the combat, leave that alone! Anywho, just some ideas that require drastic ideas for drastic changes.

14. Kael Trighton

Kael Trighton Deadeye
    Benefactor Tester

Since ppl are mentioning pve i thought id add a random idea. Boss mobs could drop a handful of random q4-q5 enchant gems. It would make pve sorta interesting cuz most enchants are sorta worthless but if you landed one or even a couple good good ones on a kill it would feel rewarding.

15. kilrain

kilrain Shadow Knight
    Staff Member Developer Team Lead

not really siege related, but wth, what if they dropped slayer gems for their type? Seems a bit.. odd I guess, but could be useful. Get lucky and be able to increase your damage output for that mob.

Maybe making PVE enchants separate from PVP, meaning having multiple, OR creating a new temporary gem slot for certain things.

Blaze likes this.
  16. Billy Lee

Billy Lee Loremaster

I really like the idea of branching pve away from pvp in some regards, being able to be more powerful in pve and tackle harder bosses is intriguing. How about new pve skills that you can increase with scribing and items obtained from specific monsters. These skills would have no cap but cumulative costs. So you farm gray orks, they drop gray ork lore, body parts or whatever, and then you use scribing or alchemy to gain permanent bonuses vs gray orks.

Also, there could be a new item called Monster Slaying Tools (placeholder) that you can craft. Again, cumulative costs but you can increase your protections, damage, etc vs all monsters. Combine the slaying tools with the new skills and allow us to become really powerful hunters. Then make all monsters in dungeons into elite versions that require more pve skills to complete. Kill enough monsters to spawn the dungeon boss and he drops really good loot, like new lootboxes. What do you think about something like this? Obviously this is not fleshed out :p

Blaze likes this.
  17. TyteDaddyTite

TyteDaddyTite Obsidian Golem
    Legend

Gotta get those buffs for destroyer in somehow!

Billy Lee likes this.
  18. MikerotchBAGFACE

MikerotchBAGFACE Varangian Warthane

Wait you are talking about things mmos have .... Nah lets just keep changing combat instead hahahhahahahahahah

#178 MikerotchBAGFACE, Jun 2, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2019
  19. Nat

Nat Shadow Knight
    Legend

No shows are back.

Fawley, BunionToes and Dim Mok like this.
  20. Dim Mok

Dim Mok Black Knight
    Loyal Legend

@kilrain @Neilk Devs should look into making it bannable to waste peoples time with no-shows, I would consider it a form of griefing and abusing game mechanics until siege windows are patched in.

#180 Dim Mok, Jun 3, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2019