Welcome to the Rise of Agon Community

Create an account today to engage in discussions and community events on the Rise of Agon forums.

Smaller Map

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by NonFactor, Jul 25, 2017.

1. NonFactor

NonFactor Forest Golem
    Wealthy Affluent Legend

i know i know all blablabla about that but... dont seems obvious to everyone that we need a smaller and possibly new map?

the design of current one is completly shit.. npc cities, sea, islands.... its prob a hard task and takes alot of time but.... it needs to be stated here.

the current map is a issue too.

negocromn and Scrapnotcrap like this.
  2. Fenris

Fenris Celestial
    Hero

The only way to do this without BPG having to remodel the entire world would be to shrink the boundaries. That means no more sub continents.

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
  3. NonFactor

NonFactor Forest Golem
    Wealthy Affluent Legend

works.

the size needs to be fit with thr possible population.

now we have a Jupiter inhabited by 400 people (max)

4. Nat

Nat Shadow Knight
    Legend

Nah. Just make it easier to get around.

5. NonFactor

NonFactor Forest Golem
    Wealthy Affluent Legend

whats the point of seelie, aergasomething, kryzerok, furgum... etc x15 ?

we need conflict, we need better position for npc cities... we need a big lake or rivers.. not the current sea.

6. WithoutShame

WithoutShame Celestial
    Supporter

The current map is amazing. The issue is the map size is static, regardless of the population. If there are less people, fast travel needs to be easier, or sections of the map need to be blocked off.

7. MikeJT

MikeJT Black Knight
    Supporter Lifetime

Or we could increase pop?

Issue isn't world size. Issue isn't pop.

Issue is pop/world size - or population density.

Zuul Ghat and Wes Furtive like this.
  8. NonFactor

NonFactor Forest Golem
    Wealthy Affluent Legend

the map was designed for a 10k online players, theres something actually incompatible

#8 NonFactor, Jul 26, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2017
  9. negocromn

negocromn Black Knight
    Legend

My first post ever in these forums back in 2015:

"
    So, DFO's map was beautifully handcrafted, with tons of unique and interesting places, but it didn't actually function well. It was designed mostly from an artistic point of view instead of a gameplay point of view, with many of the game core issues originating from this. Basically, it had two big problems: size and design.

Design: horrendous, a big landmass and four other continents around it with tons of faraway corners and no convergence points. This design scatters people all over the map, makes ships useless and accentuate the size problem. Also, it leads to the creation of garbage such as trade routes and sea fortresses, as people have otherwise no reason to use boats or to travel using a certain route.

Size: the map is way too big, with too much distance between interest points and too many useless npc cities and player hamlets. Players are set too far away from each other or from mob spawns, which means less conflict and that playing darkfall requires more time than it should, making it really hard for casual players. Ultimately, it leads to the proliferation of instant travel methods, that essentially give a handful of elite players in 3 or 4 alliances the control of all decent cities and spawns in the whole map, negating the only pro of a big map that is regionalization.

What the darkfall world looks like:

[​IMG]

What a functional world should more or less look like:

[​IMG]

With player cities concentrated around the center of the map (south Agon, islands, west Cairn, east Yssam) and with most hamlets and npc cities cut off. With this model, there would be clear convergence points, no need for instant travel, no need for artificial trade routes or artificial naval combat, etc, as people would be closer to each other and there would be natural sea and land traffic. Also, awesome locations like Silvertown or Tiquiya could have a better placement.

This is of course just an example sketch. I don't really expect people to consider the WM a big of problem as I do, and so I have no hopes for any major redesign. But I'm sure much can still be done to avoid or to mitigate certain issues by discussing how the WM works. It's a largely ignored subject and players tend to put the blame on anything BUT the WM when discussing even the most blatant of its problems.

"

NonFactor likes this.
  10. kilrath81

kilrath81 Black Knight
    Lifetime Legend

Map redesign i highly doubt is on the plate. If you have never done any world creation you might think its not that bad to do. It disgustingly rough and time consuming. Even in modern engines like UE4 it can take forever. Now take into account how Darkfalls tile system works and how it seems to be a bunch of pre-modeled chunks that were made to fit together. You know how much work it could be to recreate that world from scratch? There is nothing wrong with the current design, eve uses roughly the same layout. Safest areas center, less safe surrounding that then unsafe areas to the edge. They just need to work with the new player protection zones as lawful no pk zones (or make it really hard to survive a pk attempt in that zone). Then the Center mape needs to be full PK no consequence. The rest of mainland minus areas of importance needs to be neutral where alignment hits can happen. Then the alignment system needs to be fixed to align with seige mechanics in any neutral area. A seige tile can go "Black" but some holdings are too close to npc cities. This causes an issue. There needs to be some redesign to the map that way i think where holdings should be a few tiles away from npc cities and then anywhere a stone can be placed by range is black during a seige. Make war dec targets the only pvp in lawful areas but make inside the lawful cities ignore war decs and enforce no PK rule.

11. dragula

dragula Gravelord
    Legend

They need to leave the map alone. It will be too labor intensive. Just think of the mob and loot rebalancing that would have to be redone if you did something as seemingly simple as removing the outer subcontinents. No. Focus on making it easier to get around, and spend the time on bigger "bang for buck" items.

Give us the ability to find the pvp and to get there relatively easily. Leave the vast expanses (preferably with content added over time) for those who like to explore and do other things besides pvp.

12. rikilii

rikilii Celestial

There are ways to make the world smaller without changing the map.

13. Sero

Sero Menhir Sentinal
    Loyal Legend

This.

Thought I agree the map is friken ginormous, the undertaking of making the map smaller can be easily circumvented by making it more accessible through LINKED WORLDWIDE PORTAL CHAMBERS, similar to UW.

dragula likes this.
  14. mrW

mrW Black Knight
    Legend

None of which fix the actual problem - density of players.

15. Sero

Sero Menhir Sentinal
    Loyal Legend

Density is defined by hotspots. Villages, Rare Ore Golems, other world activities, making the map smaller just increases the chance of finding randos harvesting, traveling to a destination, or farming poop mob spawns when all they wanna do is grind.

16. rikilii

rikilii Celestial

Density of players can be achieved by choke points and hotspots, without undoing a lot of design work.

17. Sylvas Alstratam

Sylvas Alstratam Goblin Warrior

Firstly why is it so many players like yourself offer only band-aid solutions to mortal wounds. What's even funnier is that "band-aid" would not only take forever but it simply can't be done in any form of reasonable time that would keep BPG afloat. Secondly it doesn't matter if you shrink the map by 10 tiles or 100 tiles.... I thought DF:UW would have made that clear. There is a fundamental problem with the game and all it boils down to is Diversity and End Game viability. Thousands of players have spoken already that they don't want to play a game that has no end game and has the exact same style of player. Once you reach cap what is there to do? Don't worry I'll wait......... Times up, there's NOTHING TO DO! PvP? For what.... what does it achieve? Siege? For what.... what do holdings really give you? There is no reason to log in once your capped except for a siege that will grant you a couple hours of fun (so long as it's not a landslide victory on either side). Thirdly why is it do you think that games like idk World of Warcraft can boast such stupidly high sub numbers when it's a baby faced shit show of a game? It's because even though the game is a shadow of it's former shadow they still give the players something to do after cap. They offer players different avenues to take.... be a paladin, be a rogue, be a hunter and etc. The kicker is they are all pretty well balanced and it comes down to skill (I laughed when I typed skill cuz that game is a joke). What do you get in Darkfall.... Hybrid... Hybrid... Hybrid... Hybrid... oh look... another Hybrid what a change of pace. Everyone carries the same abilities.... and they look the same too. Same gear, same weapons... same everything. So not only does everyone look alike but they have to play alike cuz everyone is a hybrid.

I mean if you really take a step back and take off the fan boy goggles it all really becomes clear. Unless BPG is willing to address the "REAL" problems with the game then it will suffer the same fate as it's predecessor which by looking at the forums asking where is the population at then it would appear that history has already began to repeat itself.

Now you may call me a troll, bitch or even a hater. When in all reality I'm what the game needs. Someone who is willing to say what needs to be said no matter how many of you fan bois try to drown us out or bury our posts with idiotic responses. Either you can live and play in the game Darkfall needs to become or die and burn in the one you've created.

18. Sero

Sero Menhir Sentinal
    Loyal Legend

You bitched about endgame and then made it about combat. K.

Even if classes were in darkfall (im not opposed to more specializations and neither is bpg) theres still nothing to do endgame, soooo.

19. rikilii

rikilii Celestial

What do you achieve in any game, other than running on the same boring treadmill every time they raise the level cap with another expansion?

20. feeWAIVER

feeWAIVER Goblin Warlord

If anything, should get rid of the mainland and keep the subs.