Welcome to the Rise of Agon Community

Create an account today to engage in discussions and community events on the Rise of Agon forums.

Statistics about the free period

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by nightblighter, Feb 4, 2019.

1. Todd of Hartford

Todd of Hartford Goblin Warlord
    Legend

I wonder how much of an effect having a clan like "NEW" in the game would benefit new player retention. I know a lot of bigger clans (and quite a few smaller clans) are very open to taking in new players and teaching them the reigns of the game, but I am curious as to how many new players get lost in the crowd. It's crazy hard (if not near impossible) to juggle running a big clan while also worrying about villages and sieges while also finding time to teach new players the game. Something has got to give.

A few clans have attempted a NEW-like atmosphere, but none have really matched what NEW was: an actually neutral third-party that did not take sides and existed solely for the purpose of teaching new players the game. New players would come in, spend some time with the clan, then "graduate" and move on to other clans. A few stayed on as "counselors" after graduation, like I did.

I don't know how feasible a remade NEW would be these days, in terms of population and the like (and if a NEW-like clan would actually be the best option for new players in RoA's climate), but I know for certain that I would not have continued playing were it not for NEW. The counselors there really took it upon themselves to teach you not just how to play the game, but how to love the game. Maybe that's what we're missing.

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
    HaldirHardy and Fengor like this.
  2. Brando Pando

Brando Pando Dire Zombie
    Patron

I think having a guild dedicated to helping new players helps, the only issue is keeping it active. I remember darkfall university was around when I started in RoA, but it quickly became obselete and inactive. Imo it makes more sense for active clans to take it upon themselves to recruit and teach new players rather than relying on certain people to selflessly devote time to teaching players who ultimately move on.

Blaze and Fengor like this.
  3. Todd of Hartford

Todd of Hartford Goblin Warlord
    Legend

Fair point. Certainly takes a specific type of player that is hard to find these days

Brando Pando and Mea Kulpa like this.
  4. Frog

Frog Black Knight
    Loyal Hero

The new players can join defiance, they will pad our gank numbers for next month so it’s a mutually beneficial relationship

5. Korag

Korag Evil Eye
    Hero

Not the only issue, having a good leader is so important. The last clan that was supposed to be about new players failed to teach a lot of new players about the little things in the game that will save they're lives and make life much simpler. Just making a clan for new players does nothing if they are not taught the game on every level.

6. nightblighter

nightblighter Gravelord
    Patron

The data is just all kills and all ganks, so it counts intraclan festivities. The list of own ganks is pretty small so here is a messy copy-paste from my spreadsheet:

Clan - Own Ganks - % total ganks

Defiance 441 0.17294118
    Legion 51 0.03500343
    RubaiyatRATlers 91 0.0699462
    Ex Resurgam 75 0.07878151
    Africa 9 0.01061321
    Red Moon Reserves 93 0.14463453
    Blackwater 29 0.04610493
    Instinct 3 0.00719424
    DAYAR DICKHEADS 11 0.03293413
    MOLE SQUAD(Defunct) 1 0.00416667
    Drifters of Agon 3 0.01554404
    Mirage 15 0.08522727
    FURIA 14 0.08641975

Defiance also ganks the largest percentage of its own base.
    --- Post updated ---
    Do you know within each of the 20% who stay and the 80% who don't, how many participated in PvP of any sort and how many joined a clan or party?

The last statistics we got from EVE online is that they only had 10% long term retention, but people who joined corps or participated in the sandboxy parts were the ones who stayed, and the people who just did NPC missions left. So I'm always hungry for more data of that nature.

Fengor, DeadlyHit and Frog like this.
  7. DeadlyHit

DeadlyHit Chosen of Khamset
    Legend

damn would of thought we ganked each other way more then that

Myater likes this.
  8. Blaze

Blaze Varangian Warthane

Gonna be honest surprised defiance % of own ganks isn't triple that xD

Myater likes this.
  9. VOXNEWS

VOXNEWS Goblin Scout

Very respectable news you have provided us with (unlike ANN)