Welcome to the Rise of Agon Community

Create an account today to engage in discussions and community events on the Rise of Agon forums.

Staves Costs

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by NonFactor, Dec 21, 2016.

1. NonFactor

NonFactor Forest Golem
    Wealthy Affluent Legend

Everyone is ok with that?
    Its a bit high imo.

(Besides that was a good touch, i liked it)

Kalos likes this.
  2. Ford Prefect

Ford Prefect Frostjarl
    Legend

The biggest problem with them is that none are worth using except BB and Cobra still, so all the stuff you have to craft in between you might as well just vendor.

3. Kantor

Kantor Black Knight
    Prosperous Contributor Legend

Yeah crazy cost. Do these dev even play?

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
  4. Super Star

Super Star Oak Lord
    Legend

It all depends on what they do with the gold situation on mobs. Prior to these crafting changes many people would have obviously jumped at the fact that there are no gold sinks. But after these heavy sinks, it might not need any lowering what so ever, and might actually need an increase if anything on the lower end mobs to compensate and make the gold needed to curve out your character a little more tolerable, especially for newer players. I guess its something they can monitor with persistence, so we will have to wait and see.

did you test cobra dmg versus the new ones? its the exact opposite.

Fengor and Nat like this.
  5. Ford Prefect

Ford Prefect Frostjarl
    Legend

Speed is all that matters. The damage is not enough to justify the slow speed.

6. Super Star

Super Star Oak Lord
    Legend

alright so im assuming u havent tested then, because u would have noticed the speed difference is like 0.1

7. VVolfgang

VVolfgang Fire Elemental
    Legend

I liked the patch overall, taking Staff crafting from Alchemy was a huge letdown that I have to start back to 0 again. The cost is very significant, so any changes in reduction to gold loot would be silly at this point with all the gold sinks in the game they seem to keep adding.
    I hope that any more changes to weapons or armor doesn't wipe your progress just a few months away from Live launch like they did with staves.

8. Korag

Korag Evil Eye
    Hero

dunno if speed is all that matters do the new high end staves actually do any of the shit they say? like more damage on the elemental staff? might be more than worth it to use a super slow .60 stead of .7 if it makes a noticeable diff in damage for elemental spells

9. Ford Prefect

Ford Prefect Frostjarl
    Legend

Gonna eat my words a bit here....been running with a Sortiledge tonight, not really noticing a speed difference, and the damage is a few points higher on the elemental spells.

Wes Furtive, Young guns and leth1337 like this.
  10. helgrik

helgrik Infernal
    Legend

Just farm mob dropped bbs and pick out the best ones.

11. Kal Ki

Kal Ki Goblin Warrior
    Supporter

Staffs are retardedly broken now, in a bad way.

Cobras have always done like 2-3 more damage than blackbolts on direct hits. Now Cobras cost 7.5k gold, 2 taint, and a theryll ingot (not to mention needing 75 mastery lol).

they basically cost 15k+ for a 5% increase in damage.

Unless BPG adjusts magnitude shit on staffs than no one is going to use Cobras except maybe at sieges to feel good about themselves

12. Young guns

Young guns Guest

So top end staves will not be used in daily PvP like top end bows and melee weapons? So BPG just fixed a problem then no lol? Top end staves were always way too cheap and now they've added a bunch of options instead of 2 options (bb/darkcepter) with a second tier(Cobra/corpsecall).

Diversifying choice and giving a real set of viable options based on playstyle I see being the intent here. I sense another scribing addition that initially got a lot of flak which now people love. I haven't had a chance to get in game yet and I can see the knee jerk potential with these changes but by lord let's give it a week before it gets slammed kids.

leth1337, Lord Zanuul, Korag and 5 others like this.
  13. Kal Ki

Kal Ki Goblin Warrior
    Supporter

So it's cool that Cobras cost 15k+ gold to make while doing 5% more damage than blackbolts?

Staff crafting is objectively broken in terms of cost/benefit.

14. Aristos Giannes

Aristos Giannes Cairn Giant
    Hero

Isn't that the same way weapons work?

Korag likes this.
  15. Wes Furtive

Wes Furtive Obsidian Golem
    Legend

I'm excited to try some new ones out myself. Maybe a resurgence of my cursed bolt days with one of those dark staves :)

16. VVolfgang

VVolfgang Fire Elemental
    Legend

So there was talk about taking higher end mats and turning them into lower end mats. Now as it stands it goes Q1-Q2-Q3 and so on. If we could reverse it that would be great. So much gold sink, if they adjust mob drop gold it better be to buff it on lower end mobs. Right now with all the gold sinks in the game reducing gold wouldn't be wise. Plus we don't know how many more of these gold sinks we will continue to get.

17. Ron Mexico

Ron Mexico Fire Elemental
    Legend

1. Why did you fuck staff crafters over completely? I understand this is beta and there are changes being made, but you need to throw staff crafters a bone here. The ONLY reason I leveled alchemy and trueforge weapon in beta is to test out alfar staff crafting and now I can't even do that. I spent all my resources to get to 100 alchemy and just got to 83 trueforge weapon, only to log in last night and realize I can't craft a single staff unless I do some enchantingesque grind? Is this a joke? Why didn't you move alchemy skill level over to staffcrafting at least? Reset alchemy to 0 for everyone and move that skill level over to staff crafting. If you want people to test this stuff out and give feedback you cant do shit like this. It is beta, nobody wants to grind this shit, and when we finally do you just rip it away and add a 10x harder grind and make us start from scratch? I won't even be able to try any of this stuff because there is no way I am restarting everything I already did and add a mastery level on top. Not very well thought out, you need to give people who leveled alchemy for staffcrafting some kind of boost like starting at 100 staffcrafting and just forcing us to grind the mastery.

2. Why are the gold costs so high? This is the worst part by far. I can tell right away that there are no pvpers on the dev team. You made a cobra 7500 gold per? Let me break something down for you, when you moved JBs from like 200 or 400 gold to 2000 gold it was a huge increase. 10 JBs now cost 20k gold. I would put a cobra on the same level as a JB - and now the cobra is 7500 gold, almost 4x the cost of a JB and like 38x the previous gold cost of a cobra, 10 cobras will now cost 75k gold. BUT that's not all! The durability on a staff is used wayyyy faster than a weapon. So not only are we being asked to pay so much more, but the staff will break fairly quickly even at max trueforge. Grinding magic as a new character? Blackbolts now cost like 300 gold each plus venom sac, etc. You can't even make a r0 staff without enchanting mats... As someone who just leveled a bunch of magics let me tell you it is insanely expensive. You will spend hundreds of thousands of gold just to level magics between regs, skills, spell upgrades, you can't afford anything else. Now the staff you grind with will also be way more expensive. Meanwhile a destroyer needs 2 days and 10k shitty arrows and they are maxed.

3. Another big buff for destroyers, for multiple reasons. Like I stated in #2, the costs of a staff are now astronomical compared to weapons and they will break long before a weapon will. So you will be lucky as a mage to have a blackbolt, and cobras will barely be used. Meanwhile, destroyers can make a JB that will last a long time for much less gold, and they can also now use a life staff if they want without worry about staff switching. Good luck fighting full infernal destroyers with all their buffs while using a blackbolt that you probably can't even craft anymore.

-Please either give us all 100 staff crafting and let us start at mastery or move everyone's alchemy skill to staffcrafting. We want to test your new staves but we can't because you fucked everyone who could make a staff.
    -Please lower the gold cost of staves considerably or cut the durability loss to like 33% of what it is now.

It honestly seems like someone who hates mages made this patch, and made the staff crafting grind much harder than any other crafting other than maybe enchanting (although with the gold cost of upper level staves it might be worse)

VVolfgang, RootedOak and Grimtide like this.
  18. DestLocke

DestLocke Chosen of Khamset
    Legend

For those who think staves are too expensive, consider the following:

R60 Executioner's axe - 2k, 1 theyril, 2 veilron
    R60 Orkish Boomstick - 2k, 1 veilron ingot, 4 q3 sparkstone

They really aren't more expensive then any other weapons, and still cheaper tbh. The catch is that because staves have always been bargain basement priced and mages all across Agon have been reaping the benefits of wielding the "best for less", it seems like an unreasonable increase, but the fact is their original costs are what was unreasonable. Combined with the fact that staves seemed like a complete afterthought in general, with missing ranks, useless staves etc, this was a very necessary first step to alleviating that. We can and will look at the duro of higher level staves though, since staves duro is used more quickly then weapons.

19. Korag

Korag Evil Eye
    Hero

I cannot believe you and other are bitching and crying about changes in beta, I mean you do know what a beta is right? well level staff crafting now, not a big deal, I got mastery yesterday, yall act like a buncha damn spoiled whiney ass kids, grow the fuck up.

Gold costs are actually still cheaper than the cost of an r70 weapon, High end staves are now like high end weapons, I do no understand the fucking tears. Don't understand kids like your.. lol Your parents need slapped

20. NonFactor

NonFactor Forest Golem
    Wealthy Affluent Legend

Dest, staves goes 5x quicker than any weapon.. a small (small!!) nerf on costs will put in a good place.

Volfen likes this.