Welcome to the Rise of Agon Community

Create an account today to engage in discussions and community events on the Rise of Agon forums.

SubLicence

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MaxiHori, Nov 26, 2019.

1. MaxiHori

MaxiHori Akathar

I wonder if you have any limitation on letting other people to host their own version of darkfall.

If someone create a BGP subteam that manage a specific server, while officially be still completely part of BGP, I think that legally we could have multiple version of the game without infringing the licence agreements.

Other people could form their own teams and invest money to get their specific shard (casual oriented, pvp, grindy, etc...), while still sharing the same core (the codebase to fork), and you would get all the benefits of that.

You will still be the owner but you could give some percentage back to the subteam in order to promote this kind of deals.

What I'm thinking is something like DOL (http://www.dolserver.net/), a platform free for anyone to use to make their own version with an official server made by the creators, and a list of minor servers that each contribute to the codebase.

The way that I see it, you cannot make everyone happy, you have to target a type of population at certain point and lose others.
    This way we could have a single version of darkfall actively developed and evolving, and multiple shards supporting themselves while still contributing to the core codebase.

2. Sero

Sero Menhir Sentinal
    Loyal Legend

Letting someone else host their own version of Darkfall is a surefire way to make sure even the last 20 stop logging in.

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
    The Red King and koruun like this.
  3. Squanto

Squanto Frostjarl
    Legend

The only chance DF has is if its one server, one company. If you split the population further or confuse everyone with 2-3 different shards/servers/companies/teams... it just makes each version even more dead. This would be a really dumb idea for BPG to do if they actually want the game (not RoA but DF as a whole) to succeed. Also, most BPG 'employees' LOVE having power over people and LOVE BEING KNOWN, thats the main reason most people joined BPG in the first place so its not probable they will ever give up any of their power or control. This is AV 2.0 we're dealing with here.

Degamra and Sero like this.
  4. Andrew

Andrew Eodrin
    Staff Member BPG Representative

Fortunately all power and control reside with myself pretty much on business decisions :). I started this endeavour to see my favourite game continue development and for gamers to enjoy this gem. We'll do whatever it takes to keep this game alive that we all love.

Also people joined the team to help see it take off primarily, a lot of sacrifices have been made by the whole team to run this operation.

Geezy and Degamra like this.
  5. MaxiHori

MaxiHori Akathar

Do you think that it is possible or it will never will @Andrew ?
    I know that people joined to help it, but some views are not compatible with yours.

p.s.
    As we seen from the european server a single choice doesn't means that all players will combine into a single server, there are other games out there. There is currently a single darkfall server and still people don't play, while we can see many private shards that easily goes over 2k players.

Sero likes this.
  6. BeatIt

BeatIt Obsidian Golem
    Loyal Legend

glad 20 players from the same clan love ur game :laughing:

Sero likes this.
  7. Andrew

Andrew Eodrin

This is something we can do yes but doesn't make business sense at this time.

8. MaxiHori

MaxiHori Akathar

Ok thank you

9. Andrew

Andrew Eodrin

If this is something that you or someone else is interested in pursuing seriously message me about it. We get proposals from time to time, everything from buying the game from us to develop it under a new name to creating an arena or br version with the RPG aspects removed. We've had a few in the past couple months in this regard to sell the entire game/engine, which we're not interested in at this current time as we're still actively developing of course.

If there was a team interested in using the engine for a project that would make good sense and not directly interfere with our style of game that may be worth pursuing as a partnership or sub license. But we'd only consider a proposal that would not directly compete with our current game obviously and make sense for the business/game.

10. JasperHawkins

JasperHawkins Infernal
    Loyal Legend

When you aren't a dirtbag only looking out for himself, you learn that there are genuinely good people out there. Some of them are willing to spend the money and the time to do something you thought was only a dream, and then take it further and make it even better, and keep working towards what we hope the game and community can achieve.

Thanks to you and the team for the opportunity, and I hope we get to play for another 10 years.

Looking forward to the upcoming patches

Jman

Andrew, Blaze and Mea Kulpa like this.
  11. The Red King

The Red King Black Knight
    Loyal Legend

Is it better though?

The stutter at launch killed the game
    Nothing was put in to fix the ganking of new players - alignment is pointless
    Darkfall had more organic fights at Villages with less people
    No content has been added
    Combat is worse
    The grind was better, then they killed it
    UI is better
    Sieges are worse
    Economy is worse
    Everything else is the same? We still waiting on something to do 4 years later
    Everyone rocking Q5 / Dragon / Rank 70/80 on everything hmmm That didn't happen in Df1 why??? Q5 mats didn't drop 5 at a fucking time or from VCP's
    VCPs are all empty of houses
    TTK is less

Their history is usually put something in with little to no thought, oh fuck its worse, change back 3/4 of it and say see we reverted! Fast forward 6 months and say we patched 3 times! () = circle

So is it really better?

Scrubby Bear and Sero like this.
  12. Eagleglow

Eagleglow Ghost
    Hero

I would rather them trying to port over roa to the dfuw instead.
    UW hade some nice systems that would be nice in roa.
    Issue with a low pop server is that ppl are farming highend sruff with no one to fight them for it so its basicly free

13. Marxman

Marxman Black Knight
    Loyal

The only group I see consistently rocking q5 dragon is defiance because they are master nutcuppers, everyone else is still mostly wearing infernal and tries really pretty hard not to lose their bags if they don't have to

14. The Red King

Loyal Legend

Logged in today - Third time in 6 months - the other two were for sieges. Went to a VCP solo and got zerged by BW - shit never changes lol

15. Marxman

Marxman Black Knight
    Loyal

You realize tta/defiance/pe are a bigger alliance than we are? If they wanted to port in even more than us at villages they easily can.

16. The Red King

Loyal Legend

I don't give a fuck who is bigger. I went SOLO and got zerged. I haven't played but two other times in 6 months. Do the math bro. Dead game but still pixel whores. Wow. And YOU wonder why the game is dead?

CaptainAmerica likes this.
  17. Squanto

Squanto Frostjarl
    Legend

Myself, Arrow and a few others have been logging in for the past few days. I think we hit Mar Shral like 3-4 times and then they moved back to Calf. Multiple times we hit they logged out in buildings to save their gear, even though they had way more than us. There was only one time we had more than them and when they died they all logged out.

onslaught and Sero like this.
  18. Sero

Sero Menhir Sentinal
    Loyal Legend

AHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAAHHAHAHAHAHAH

BACK TO CALF KIDS.

onslaught and Squanto like this.