Welcome to the Rise of Agon Community

Create an account today to engage in discussions and community events on the Rise of Agon forums.

Support players: Healing staff

Discussion in 'Game Design Discussion' started by Lexendros, May 30, 2019.

?

Do you like this idea?

1. I like the idea of giving support players more of a niche

91.7%
  2. I don't like the idea of giving support players more of a niche

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. I would do it differently and I'll tell you how in the comments.

8.3%
  1. Lexendros

Lexendros Infernal
    Legend

Hey folks,

Playing in large scale combat, some people choose to play a more support based role of buffing/healing/etc. Maybe change ONE of the normal speed staves (like the lifebolt? or just make a new staff?) to have a bonus to healing but a penalty to offensive spells to carve out a niche for support players. Things like the Lifebolt give a bonus to lesser and greater magic, but honestly it's barely noticeable and doesn't include spellchanting for sacrifice.

For example you get +15% more effective heals but your offensive spells do 20% less damage? Those numbers are obviously arbitrary and subject to change, i'm moreso just floating the concept out there.

It'd be important to do this on one of the normal casting time staves otherwise it'd be pretty OP for destroyers.

Disclaimer: I've been out of the game for a while and if this idea is already being implemented, is on the horizon/testing server, or has already been suggested; apologies if so.

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
  2. KoKane

KoKane Celestial

3. Lexendros

Lexendros Infernal
    Legend

I read your post and don't disagree with it, however the amount of changes that'd be needed to the game coding versus the risk of really fucking over the game as we've seen in other combat changes... I feel like my simple change to a single staff/introducing a staff that could be patched in pretty easily as a start, and work on your more fundamental changes as part of their ember expansion or whatever they're calling it these days.

Also, where your ideas aren't bad ones... it's tiptoe'ing a line that we saw in the early days of DF-UW where if a group had a primalist or two... they'd never die. These primalists wouldn't really do much besides be a pocket healer. With just a small damage penalty to a single staff: A support player could still be viable in the other aspects of combat.

Unfortunately, there must be a fine balance maintained in Darkfall meta combat where if you specialize too far: You kill the uniqueness of the combat... however if there is no specialization whatsoever: It's magefall (not counting destroyers obviously, they are indeed a specialization... albeit a mild one).

Also don't forget to vote in the poll! :D

#3 Lexendros, May 30, 2019
    Last edited: May 30, 2019
  4. Blaze

Blaze Varangian Warthane

I think it would be easier to make a spec for healers/support players
    That staffs all suck imo speed kills

But make a spec that made healing 30% better
    All forms of dmg Dmg 20% less (magic/melee/archery)

Leopold Stotch and Fengor like this.
  5. Fawley

Fawley Infernal
    Legend

Equipping the staff would have to have a debuff that lasts 30 seconds or whatever otherwise people will just switch to that staff when healing and another staff when doing damage.

Lexendros and Scrapnotcrap like this.