Welcome to the Rise of Agon Community

Create an account today to engage in discussions and community events on the Rise of Agon forums.

Technical Issues Impacting Playability

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Raap, Jan 14, 2020.

1. Raap

Raap Wildtribe Mage

Hey folks,

Me and the guys in Chaldean had a chat a moment ago about making this post or not, but we collectively decided something had to be said.

Earlier this evening we had a siege against Public Enemy on Zaghuroth. About 10 minutes prior to the city bindstone going live, one of us crashed and got put back at a random chaos stone on Ruby. Shortly after that, another one of us crashed. And then another one of us crashed...

Lastly, as we regrouped, and we finally got ready to fight, we had a jump on the defenders, caught them off-guard in the city, and as I did my first left click of the fight - it became my turn to crash.

So we spent 2 evenings preparing for an absolute waste of time.

We collectively decided we needed to explain to BPG the consequences of this state of the game. Until the game is made playable again, we will:
    • Stop attempting to get people to play again. We had a fair few people on the fence about rejoining the game, a lot of this depended on what sort of a fight we'd report on having tonight, as a sort of 'activity check' in EU time.
    • Stop dropping further sieges with the intention of creating a (small-ish) scale fight, by dropping them during EU time.
    • Reduce daily activity; Motivation to play took a hit, I personally ended up losing practically my only gear set despite already having motivational issues when it comes to farming. This evening didn't improve this.
    This level of technical difficulties justifies a compensation to match two evenings wasted, also for the defenders, because they were also robbed of a fight.

My apologies if this post appears layered with salt, I do confess to a element of triggeredness, but as I said at the start, writing this post was a collective decision. Fix this mess, BPG!

2. Neilk

Neilk Web Development & System Admin
    Staff Member Team Lead

Hey Raap,

This issue has been resolved and should be patched tomorrow or Thursday. This was a legacy issue which has arisen when we improved the graphics/textures/shaders and they used more memory. So it wasn't a simple fix it required re-writing of the original code. Apologies that this has impacted you and others but we have been working hard to resolve it and it's currently in final QA stages.

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
    streaml1ne, KingLlama, BeatIt and 3 others like this.
  3. Geezy

Geezy Fire Elemental
    Wealthy Loyal Supporter

I think a fair amount of salt is to be expected when something like that happens.

Fixing this is obviously of the highest priority for BPG. Darkfall has always had its fair share of crashing issues, but they have become quite exacerbated as of late.

Edit: Damn Neilk and the boys are on top of this. Well done.

4. Dum Dum

Dum Dum Celestial
    Prosperous Wealthy Hero

I agree with Raap about the compensation tbh..

BPG pushing the high res textures and dyes into the game has caused alot of crashes for everyone across the board..
    If the memory leak cant be fixed soon, we should have the option to use older textures/turn off dyes for the time being.

I will take, spawn scaling being reintroduced into game as my compensation, thanks.

Geezy, Andrew, Mimitis TheOne and 2 others like this.
  5. NonFactor

NonFactor Forest Golem
    Wealthy Affluent Legend

pm @Marxman he will give u angfrost back.

6. Jacky

Jacky Goblin Scout
    Legend

I lost 2 portal shards after spawning in god damn ozenlat :)

Edit: I will take donations to rebuild my bank after this big loss

streaml1ne and Mega like this.
  7. Blaze

Blaze Black Knight

@Raap sorry to hear bro :( hoping the fix bpg brings out will stop all the crashing I know it a bummer to crash before a fight :( also hope for ps_1 to come back, hope when they fix the crashes will see u all again

Mega likes this.
  8. The Red King

The Red King Obsidian Golem
    Loyal Legend

I crashed like 7 times the other night while bank starring in Sang - made me log off....

9. Mega

Mega Earth Elemental
    Legend

We would rather consume a tin of surstromming (fermented herring) than talk to that drip!

10. Andrew

Andrew Eodrin
    Staff Member BPG Representative

We were at the point of a removal if we couldn't get the memory issues under control, fortunately arpad and Neil have found the primary source and a solution. Throughout this process of addressing the memory leak issues we also got some optimisations to the asset loading. Every foray forward in this area is pushing the engine harder and harder past its original capabilities. As we continue to modernise the game's graphical capability it is going to have bumps along the way.

Hopefully this will be the end of these issues facing users in game. Please continue to report if you are having issues, every report helps us isolate and correct.

Thanks!

11. The Red King

The Red King Obsidian Golem
    Loyal Legend

Wasn't UW the same engine? That game had pretty fucking sick graphics for Darkfall, with the exception of the character models

Mimitis TheOne likes this.
  12. NonFactor

NonFactor Forest Golem
    Wealthy Affluent Legend

yesterday we gave hammerdale for a new clan.

idk how someone with 51 holdings wont give u guys a new home. right @Marxman ?

13. Neilk

Neilk Web Development & System Admin
    Staff Member Team Lead

Yes, it was the same engine. But they were working on upgrading the engine with a large team (compared to us) for a few years during DFO. In the end performance was still much worse in UW and if you remember the UW beta launch it was a disaster. These things take time especially with our small team.

#13 Neilk, Jan 15, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2020
  14. Void

Void Varangian Warthane
    Loyal Legend

I heard memory leaks is what people who don’t know anything about programming call bad code

15. Geezy

Geezy Fire Elemental
    Wealthy Loyal Supporter

I mean, isn't that essentially what a memory leak is though?

16. Dum Dum

Dum Dum Celestial
    Prosperous Wealthy Hero

Game is holding onto all the pixels and not letting them go.. then it hits the big 4gb and bang u got aids.

17. Mega

Mega Earth Elemental
    Legend

So, is this fixed?

18. FirstNameLastNameRpIsCool

FirstNameLastNameRpIsCool Goblin Warrior

I think he was making a joke about the quality of blabla programmers. I think you walked into it, which for me is extra funny.

Featherbeans likes this.
  19. Battle Smurf

Battle Smurf Oak Lord
    Legend

Just one more reason why I don't like the new textures

20. streaml1ne

streaml1ne Wildtribe Mage
    Loyal Legend

This mean load times will go down?