Welcome to the Rise of Agon Community

Create an account today to engage in discussions and community events on the Rise of Agon forums.

The Biggest Threat to RoA Success

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by RootedOak, Apr 21, 2017.

1. RootedOak

RootedOak Oak Lord
    Legend

Most of Darkfall is contingent on clan leaders and their participation within the game world. This is easily confirmed by the astonishingly small amount of clans that operate without clan leaders. However the game's core mechanics offer nothing to clan leaders to help them organize their members or even communicate to them outside of /Clan chat.

Clan Leader Fatigue is a serious issue within Darkfall, and this can be seen by the countless amounts of clan leaders that merged their clans into others to relinquish the stressors of leadership to someone who hasn't hit their breaking point yet. More often than not, clan members will stay subscribed and at the very least semi-actively playing the game if their leader is active. Once the leader stops providing content for the members, the casuals/sheep will play other games (subsequently unsubscribing).

I feel that I have experience and some fairly reasonable solutions to this Leadership Fatigue.

1.) Clan/Alliance Message of the Day (MotD): When a player logs in, they will have a UI window containing the leader-controlled message on screen. A single button press will close the message. Leaders can choose to toggle this MotD feature off if they wish.

This allows the leader to organize events, preparations, or anything that needs communicated to all members without the need for 3rd party software (Discord), speaking to them live over voice, or relying on word of mouth of other members. A feature like this ought to be fairly high impact/low development with a great benefit for Clan Leaders and the health of the game in general.​

2.) Clan Vault logs: If we could export the Clan Vault data to a google doc or MS Excel, managing AV's rudimentary log would be much easier. Sort out columns instantly to find all of player 2's bank activity. Clans have certainly broke up over disputes and accusations that couldn't accurately be resolved, yet the data is sitting there in hundreds of pages of logs.​

3.) Selling or Trading Player Holdings: People have made arguments in the past for not allowing clans to do a safe-transfer of holdings. Claiming that the clan should be able to complete the transfer or else they shouldn't have a holding. The amount of stress and organization involved in Selling and Trading holdings is ridiculous, and that pressure rests on the shoulders of the involved clan leaders. It's very very very tiresome for both the leaders and the members to actively invest hours into a no-contest holding transfer. This often causes clans to simply just keep their holdings until they're so "dead" that someone sieges it for no-contest anyway. Certain areas of the world often stay "dead" because the clans that own holdings in the area are too lazy to sell/transfer the holdings because they don't want to go through all the hurdles and stressors involved.​

The health of the server can be more fluid and resilient if there were a method of completing no-contest holding transfers without having to go through the whole siege system.

4.) There needs to be a knowledge base of how game mechanics operate. It needs to be obvious and easily accessible for all players to know how the siege system works, the Sea Tower, and any other mechanic functions. Before I was a leader in DF1, there were several times when we thought we knew how some mechanic functioned, but we found out we were lied to or simply confused. This resulted in several lost sieges and once we even accidentally wagered a holding with a mine and lost it.

5.) Some kind of contingency has to be developed in the event that a clan loses it's last holding. Usually clans are a mix of blue and red players. When they lose their only holding, the hostile environment of a Chaos City is often too harsh for the majority of casual players so they simply just quit playing Darkfall.

I know we all want to believe Darkfall is most fun when you're "struggling" to get by, but if we're interested in ALL the players that want to play Darkfall to enjoy the game, casual clans need an easy way to reintegrate themselves into the game world without having to buy a new holding, without having to go to a chaos city, or without having to lose/convert their red clan members to allow them to live in a Blue city.

Early on in my leadership of NME, we lost Apautan to YGOLOCYSP, we naturally moved into Tolenque. To no surprise, Ygolocysp didn't want to live in shitty ol' Apautan, so they bound in Tolenque and bind camped us every day... lol. Out of desperation we pooled together all the gold we had and bought Mehatil from Snow White. That purchase essentially saved the clan from going under. We were very close to quitting or losing our members to another clan. It sounds silly that people would give up, but if you think about it. If you're playing a game and every moment of play is "unfun" for you, you're going to quit, or you'll find a new clan. The game needs mechanics that re-position the whole clan after a big loss (like losing their last holding).

Often times clan members will have gone red when they meant to be a Blue-for-Life type player because their clan needed them to do so. They can't just recover that Red status very easily in a populated Darkfall. Especially when those types of people usually find the Chaos City life very stressful.​

I think it's very important to maintain the "fun" for Clan Leaders which translates to more subscribers (something both devs and players want as much as possible).

I'm sure we could think of other issues that could be addressed by simple game mechanics, and we can list those in the thread below.

Omissions: Obvious issues that are related to other specifics of the game mechanics that I've read will be altered in the future. Such as the siege system, naval combat, and official in-game Alliances.​

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
    #1 RootedOak, Apr 21, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2017
  2. Bartlebe

Bartlebe Chosen of Khamset
    Loyal Patron Legend

Good ideas. More clan tools would go a long way to bringing this game up-to-date.

3. RootedOak

RootedOak Oak Lord
    Legend

TL : DR Game is hard.

Circa likes this.
  4. Bartlebe

Bartlebe Chosen of Khamset
    Loyal Patron Legend

TLDR:
    Being a leader is hard. Doesn't have to be. They should add:
    1. 1. Message of the day pop-up
    2. 2. Better clan vault logs
    3. 3. Way to sell or trade holdings through safe trade windows
    4. 4. Database for how exactly all the game's mechanics, timers and systems work
    5. 5. Something to help mixed red/blue clans when they lose their holdings

Other shit: Re-do siege systems, naval combat, better ingame mechanics for Alliances

Ogrinn, Circa, Nat and 2 others like this.
  5. onslaught

onslaught Black Knight
    Patron

Threads and posts like this is what really helps the game in the long run, good job dudes.

elijahzvaughn and Nat like this.
  6. helgrik

helgrik Infernal
    Legend

again, why isnt beargrim on the team?????????????????????

Kalos likes this.
  7. Slayven

Slayven Obsidian Golem
    Legend

The tree has spoken make it so.

8. BeatIt

BeatIt Obsidian Golem
    Loyal Legend

wow i tho u were gonna say X on right

RootedOak likes this.
  9. Nat

Nat Shadow Knight
    Legend

Beargrim Best Clan Leader NA

Fengor and RootedOak like this.
  10. aparks

aparks Obsidian Golem
    Legend

As a Clan Leader since NA 1 launch I Agree 100% with Beargrim.

I'd also add in:
    - A better ranking system. Maybe auto ranking controls for clan leaders. All new recruits get auto promoted to private after 1 week etc. Or Lieutenant get promoted to captain after 100 unique in-game kills.

- A note system to clan leaders. When they log in you can check clan tab sub section clan messages to leaders from other players in the game world that need to talk to leadership. example: hey my clan needs a home can we ally or your guy is griefing my noobs or can we hire you for a siege.

- Give an option to create a clan alliance. Allow clans to apply to the alliance etc. and alliance wars.

- Add in a clan tax system (id never tax my clan but many clans do)

- Add in in-game clan lotto system buy ins 100g end of week jackpot maybe 20k gold random person selected as winner.

- Clan treasury bank tier only sg's and clan treasurer has access to

- Allow clan leaders to designate a chaos city default stone if you lose your city via siege

- Add in for sale signs on houses and cities. buyers need to approach the for sale sign w gold in hand

- Have clan tab in new UI blink when someone applies to your clan

- Allow clan leaders to give bad marks to ex clan members if they are spies or thieves etc.

- Allow clans to list themselves as mercenaries and have a player auctions feel. siege 4pm pst Clan NME has 5 actives at this time to particpate as mercenaries. Do you wish to buy them for 10k ea? Yes ok 50k goes into the game server. Nme brings 5 players as mercs at end of siege they click the I sent 5 mercs give me money, msg sent to hiring leader and he clicks yes they did thank you. or no they didnt cancel transaction. GM send nme a msg do you have proof you mercd for blackwater? Yes 4 of us in screen shot ok you get 40k and blackwater gets 10k back have a nice day.

#10 aparks, Apr 21, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2017
  11. Slayven

Slayven Obsidian Golem
    Legend

Clans should be a perk not a chore.

12. NonFactor

NonFactor Forest Golem
    Affluent Legend

i dont need to read to agree with Beargrim.

+1

--- Post updated ---

darkfall should be like UO.

blue x red as a regular pvp scenario
    and
    factions.

the current system is obviously too clan dependent and its bad.

13. DarkGhost25

DarkGhost25 Black Knight
    Contributor Hero

Very true. I was leader of a 8 person clan in dfo and every time I logged in the pile of duties would grow fast, I can only imagine what it must be like when leading 20, 50, or even 500. Management tools would be a huge addition.

RootedOak likes this.
  14. Andrew

Andrew Obsidian Golem
    Staff Member BPG Representative

Some excellent ideas here and several we've planned to add in already actually but other tasks pushed back these ideas. There's several clan, player holding and siege related tasks that we made early on however this isn't a launch priority because these activities won't happen very early on much. For this reason we pushed much of these tasks back except for a couple such as the lower costs/health of buildings as that one would be relevant early on.

A MOTD is planned, better bank logs, better rank system allowing custom access per rank has been discussed, siege Windows and control towers to extend clan territory. Some of the ideas in the pipeline or that have been suggested internally.

I think a transfer Holding system could work however there should be a gold cost associated with it. Rough idea might be to have a base of say 25-50k gold with an additional amount based on building mods spent on the holding.

15. zander

zander Chosen of Khamset
    Legend

You better plan for revamping siege mechanics fairly early on. If there isn't some way for EU clans to protect themselves from off-hour sieges they will leave once again.

Siege costs also need to be more steep to dissuade mindless sieges and no-show sieges. This all needs to be within the first month or else EU clans will leave once again when they start getting 3am sieged their time.

16. CaptainAmerica

CaptainAmerica Air Elemental
    Loyal Legend

Great post/ideas. I'd agree w/ all of Beargrim's complaints, ideas.

17. Andrew

Andrew Obsidian Golem
    Staff Member BPG Representative

Yes siege tasks will get moved up as they will be very important after a month or two when it starts becoming more regular. A soft siege window task is in the works. Territory control and vendors will be the initial focus for the first post launch patch most likely.

18. Nat

Nat Shadow Knight
    Legend

I predict some salty sieges happening before you address the problem.

19. Liverbest Gibs

Liverbest Gibs Spellgazer
    Hero

You seem to have an unfinished sentence in your post. Is there additional information that was unposted?

Not sure what this part is supposed to mean either. Was the first part of this sentence cut off?

20. Quin Tessence

Quin Tessence Black Knight
    Legend

A clan rally point would be a nice feature. In the event you lose your holding your rally point would turn into your main bind spot.

With the Race War gone that will help a lot, but Red players are kind of screwed. Maybe they should add negative Alignment to Meditation.