Welcome to the Rise of Agon Community

Create an account today to engage in discussions and community events on the Rise of Agon forums.

The gap at this stage

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jakobmillah, May 27, 2017.

1. White Panda

White Panda Goblin Warrior

I understand that noobs cant hold all of cairn. But 170 ppll... u tellin me u got raided by 30 ppl?

Dunno its hard for me to imagine if u r this big and all living in the same spot how u could not provide some sort of peace close around.

Not arguing with you that new players have it hard and i disagree with ganking them - just wondering if you as a guild did everything you could to protect them. If you want to be a teaching guild i would have expected some leadership who can handle it... And if you notice you cant you could have asked some of the stronger clans for help to protect newbies, i am sure someone would have picked it up...

2. vehementi

vehementi Goblin Warlord

Bunny hopping, cross buffs, expert usage of WOF/aoes in week 2 makes the situation utterly incomparable to DFO. 170 people aren't all logged in and I would expect 10 top players to raid and wipe absolutely everyone in that city

Kurise LXV likes this.
  3. Check Mate

Check Mate Stormgraive

My guess is a large majority of the big zerg clans are made up of casual players playing a couple hours here and there a few days a week, and the 30 man clans hitting them are 30 people who are on darkfall every single hour that they aren't sleeping or working.

4. Myspace

Myspace Skeleton Archer

Lots of "new players" just playing the game instead of posting apocalypse on the forums.

Think 70-80% of the new players in my guild are still around. We still get a few new ones every so often.

What are people who are complaining about the "power gap" really asking for here? Increasing skill speed gains wouldn't solve anything. "Maxing out your character" is not something everyone or even > 40% of the population is going to do. That doesn't put you at a disadvantage. The majority of the game isn't maxed out.

But if you never look for fights and all you do is farm, the only fights you are going to find are ones that someone else picked with you at their advantage. Of course you are going to feel like you cant compete if you are just doing that over and over again.

5. mybsurchin

mybsurchin Celestial

Do you ever post anything of value?

6. brahji

brahji Black Knight
    Legend

I could say the same of you.

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
  7. vehementi

vehementi Goblin Warlord

But you don't fight random average people... you fight leveled people who prep to raid your city or spawn. When you siege or get sieged you aren't fighting a random spectrum of people... the people who gank at spawns, the people who siege, are going to be near the end of the curve there, and you absolutely will be at a disadvantage.

And we should frame carefully -- we aren't talkign about maxed out characters, but rather characters with the minimum pvp ready core set of spells/skills -- 56-75 in a couple of R90s, bunch of rays, field AOEs, WOF, heals, wards, buff-others, mobility spells, blinds, ... -- a long grind but achievable by most people if they're actively working to it.

That is definitely a good and often overlooked point that is going to bias perception

8. mybsurchin

mybsurchin Celestial

One day when you grow up you'll realize that scrutiny and critique is how improvement is achieved

Meanwhile you're over here making sarcastic comments

I post in hopes that the game will be improved and thus retain more new players

Your posts have actually no constructive purpose

9. ZeuZ

ZeuZ Deadeye

My only gripe so far is the melee and the mastery. I feel Archery and Melee should level at the same speed, including the mastery.

mybsurchin and Uncle Jo like this.
  10. Sarise

Sarise New Member

Here is the bottom line: So called "hardcore maximum skill pvp vets" will continue to ride their wave of success for months to come. Then the same thing that happened in DFO will happen when people finally catch up with them the game is suddenly "stale and boring". Funny how legitimate competition sends them all crying back to WoW where they came from, such hardcore.

11. Killa162

Killa162 Crypt Guard

Bit late to the posting party. I stopped reading after 3-4 pages when I noticed it was 15 long. So here's my 2 cents being one of the lower end newb's to the game.
    First to reply to this, yes scribing goes a long way to get rid of actually grinding the spell and casting it yourself to macro it. And books help extremely to skilling DB(S)/PA/WW, and also levels mastery once you reached 75 in the weapon. But my problem with Manuals or Scrolls are both the same unless I haven't noticed it.
    But when you use the Manual or Scroll does it level the main skill that your leveling the sub-skill of? Example: I use manuals to level Greatsword WW once I'm 75, that raises my mastery AND the skill at the same time cool. BUT lets say I was a typical player that doesn't do research and use the manual on WW but I'm at 50 Greatsword. Does it raise my Greatsword school as well as the skill WW?
    Same goes for magic schools. I'm a destro, so I need 70 greater for shrapnel. I'm at 60 right now, so to obtain it I need 10 more skill points. But that requires constantly casting greater magic spells. But my question is if I use scrolls on Unburden, Infliction Shield, or Telekinesis. Since all of those spells are still at 1 because I'm slowly earning gold to spend on scrolls for them, when using the scrolls will that also raise my Greater Magic along with it so I'm able to unlock Shrapnel at 70?

To me that's the bigger issue by playing 4-8 hours a day on Sat/Sun/Tues, and maybe 1-4 hours a night after work during the week. I might be a newb but from launch till now I might have been slow getting going on what I need. But that's literally just my own fault on not having the info I needed to progress faster or having the need to log in since earlier on I didn't know what to do or how to push my character in a direction. But with me personally wanting to do the best I can and try to min-max in games I did some research and found google doc's of what I need to be doing. Also asking guild members more then self researching sometimes also helps.

Tl;dr Using scrolls/manuals does it also level up the school of magic/weapon skill itself when used? Not just the mastery if you're already at 75, but if you're below 75 for weapons or below 100 for magic schools.

P.S. How the f**k are most of you getting 75+ main stats so fast? Are you all gathering a bunch? I mean I'm always doing something active when I'm on. Either farming mobs with Melee/Archery, or on the off chance I'm gathering to take a break from pve'ing. Since I know the gap between me and most decently average players above me have slightly a bit more than i do, I'm not effectively feel ready to roam Agon yet for PvP, specially with the near maxed vets out there. And everyone keeps saying the stat gain is so easy.... this is my first DF experience and it still feels like a heavy grind. I'm not a carebear, I've been around the block with a few oldschool MMO's and more korean style grind games before like BDO. But wtf... I just got a few day ago 50 in every stat finished, with some being 55-57, those being Str/Qui/Vit/Wis. I feel like there's some secret I'm missing or something... because I literally don't know how when I'm actively grinding for the time I have don't have atleast 60's or high 60's/low 70's in stats.

I'm not crying that the game is too hard, I like a grind since it gives me something to work towards and feel accomplished about. It's why I've quit almost any modern MMO that's out and casually play BDO. But damn this is almost madness to me because I don't understand if I'm grinding wrong... or doing something wrong to have such low stats. With the time that I get to play I'd at least think I'd be in the mid-high 60's mark on all the popular stats. Str/Qui/Vit and maybe Dex since I'm Destro and use the bow a lot.

12. Lord Zanuul

Lord Zanuul Fire Elemental
    Legend

Yes I'm harvesting my ass off it's what I did in df1 it's what I did in uw... and it's what I'm doing in roa

13. Clarence Swamptown

Clarence Swamptown Black Knight
    Legend

This reminds me of some thread right before UW launch. Guess what happened.

14. Rimamok

Rimamok Fire Elemental
    Legend

@Killa162 do you do melee training in groups much? With Haste + SC QUI buff + constant heals against big MOBs that take a lot of hits, the training comes very fast.

15. Killa162

Killa162 Crypt Guard

Since I didn't play UW and no clue what you're talking about. Please. Enlighten me. What happened?

I've gone a couple times to bigger spawns in a group with haste and such. But that's saying like once or twice since I started playing. Most of the time I'm just farming medium mobs that give me a slight challenge but don't kill me for gold/mats/skill gain. Or I do the same but in a duo or trio group at different spawns.

I guess I'll try and gather more in between grind sessions and minimize my down time as much as possible. :\

16. RootedOak

RootedOak Oak Lord
    Legend

I'm sure some clan would be willing to trade Calf for a mainland city.

17. Obeesho

Obeesho Frostjarl
    Affluent Legend

The magic schools will raise when you level a spell with scrolls.

I can't say for certain if books work the same way with non-mastery.

Another thing that I think would help against those hopeless fights and also be a good change in general... Remove buff others from the game!

They are too powerful and provide to much advantage to ambushers, and 2 v 1s where you are already at a huge disadvantage by numbers and the crossbuffs make it almost hopeless.

Strike them from the game!

sabio and vehementi like this.
  18. Thubub

Thubub Goblin Shaman
    Legend

I think part of the problem is the noobie friendly Zerg guilds . They aren't equipped or prepared to get noobies up to speed. A Zerg/noob friendly guild who puts their holding on Cairne doesn't have the leadership to ease noobs into the game. They invite everyone into their clan, but just hope they get members to stick through attrition. So now a guild full of noobs gets their ass handed to them daily due to poor leadership and planning.

Meanwhile I casually solo and have been ganked a grand total of twice (due to my own laziness) since launch. Of course your guilds noobs are leaving in droves. Poor leadership is driving them away, not flaws in the game design.

19. vehementi

vehementi Goblin Warlord

Saying "this one thing accounts for it, not the other" is not likely true.

20. Kurise LXV

Kurise LXV Deadeye

The clan has 170 people, most of which have quit. We have between 10-20 people online at any given time, but spread over Agon.

Regardless, numbers do not equate to strength in this game. If most everyone is wearing R10-R20, against mastery gear, what do you expect? That doesn't even take into account the MASSIVE player skill disparity between a new player and a vet whose played Darkfall for years. What about all the high level skills the vets have, and the new players don't?

Did we do everything we could as a clan to protect them? I would like to think so. Did BPG do everything they could to ensure new players will have a good experience learning the game? HAH, fuck no.

We can only do so much to help new players. It gets to the point where you're not even doing things for yourself when you're in a new player clan. You spend more time helping others than helping yourself. It's up to BPG to make this game work for new players. In my opinion, BPG was more worried about rushing this game to be first, rather than ensuring the game is in a good spot to be released. Literally 100s of people will not return to this game because of the current state of the game.

Even Xipher could see that releasing Rise of Agon in its current state is a huge mistake. Its damaged the Darkfall brand.

MatosQc and vehementi like this.