Welcome to the Rise of Agon Community

Create an account today to engage in discussions and community events on the Rise of Agon forums.

The gap at this stage

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jakobmillah, May 27, 2017.

1. DagothUr

DagothUr Chosen of Khamset
    Legend

You have 80iq and dont understand the game you are talking about, consider stepping away from the forums, thanks.

Kwatos likes this.
  2. Captain Beeftits

Captain Beeftits Goblin Scout

JakobMillah is right neck beards and poop sockers living with their mothers don't want to admit how big the gap is. I don't personally care myself they should have limited progression though like a lot of other good pvp progression games. 75% of server gets 100 in a skill mastery unlocks ect.

Its a big part of why dfo failed the first go around. Vets stomping on players with a fraction of their stats and gear saying its just skill bruh.

Kwatos and nuclearping like this.
  3. Saladin

Saladin Goblin Scout

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
    Nat, Navlaan and jakobmillah like this.
  4. SadMaz

SadMaz Goblin Warrior

I don't get it guys so what are you suggesting? people to damage for 10 hp and the ttk to last forever?OP described a scenario that being developed wudn't matter ,unless you hear/see em before they are in shot range you wud die and its not a matter of melee/archery or magic being high .

5. jakobmillah

jakobmillah Earth Elemental

I'm sorry, but people with more don't tend to jump others. They know better. Ogres tend to stick with personal harassments.
    --- Post updated ---
    Don't know. I was hoping some veterans that are part of the 4-5 shotting everyone could give their opinion. I haven't done enough PvP to know.
    Higher global CD's on those rays? Might help out.

WithoutShame, Towel and nuclearping like this.
  6. brahji

brahji Black Knight
    Legend

I hate to agree with yourlordandsavior but he's mostly right. You took way more damage then necessary in your example. It's nobodys fault other than your own. if you were paying attention you could have minimized or completely avoided that damage and gotten away.

Kwatos and jakobmillah like this.
  7. trammiesurprise

trammiesurprise Wildtribe Mage
    Legend

TLDR: White Bolded Sections

The gap at this stage and the MMO Life Cycle is a very interesting topic
    , although probably better suited for the Development forum or Feedback.

At this time I do feel like the progression speed of the game is good, I am nearing 16-18 hours played and each time I login do feel like I accomplish something, although 65-75 in my melee skill felt like snail speed. When that sense of accomplishment goes away and logging in feels like you just wasted time people will begin to login less. Right now while the majority of players are still new and early in their development this speed works fine as it is still a rather even playing field for the average player.

As time goes by BPG needs to speed up the progression from new player to vet with this increase in progression they must have a system in place that also teaches these new players the game at a expedited rate. In addition to this BPG needs to release content for the veteran players to keep these players immersed in the game.

Progression itself should not be viewed as content, it is a means of teaching the player the game.

Let's look at other games for examples;

World of Warcraft - Vast majority of content now is at max progression level and they have extremely shortened the progression period from Level 1 through Max Level. In addition to this they have added a paid program to bring them to max almost immediately. This change was made to adapt the game to the ever-changing customer. WoW may not have the fan base that it did in it's Heyday but the game continues to survive.

Ultima Online - UO is the gold standard when it comes to keeping an MMO fresh. Every time I go back it feels like so much has changed, the endless amount of content is mind boggling. UO has sped up character skill/stat development to extreme speeds, literally on Day 1 your Skills/Stats can max at which point you need to start learning the game and all it's content to begin building a suitable set of equipment for yourself. They have made obtaining minimal viability practically instantaneous and the amount of content could keep you busy for Months if not Years. UO falls short in the new player experience with very little guidance and limited online information it can feel like there is nothing to do once your skills peak when that is literally the tip of the iceberg, unfortunately you must dig into the game and learn it yourself to see all it has to offer.
    So in the end BPG has their hands full and I wish them the best moving forward. I support them to the best of my ability (buying shit) because I love the game and want other people to experience the joy/pain/hate/fun I have experienced in Agon.

8. jakobmillah

jakobmillah Earth Elemental

Agreed, it's way early to speed things up, but this will help the new players out that joins in later. Some speeding up on skill gain, lower cost for scrolls etc. But yeah, not in a while!

#28 jakobmillah, May 27, 2017
    Last edited: May 27, 2017
    Kwatos, Towel and Captain Beeftits like this.
  9. Obeesho

Obeesho Black Knight
    Prosperous Affluent Legend

The character gap right now is the biggest it will ever be in this game and it will only get smaller going forward.

That's because some people basically are finished with their character development, at least where fighting is concerned.

The thing is they have no room to improve but everyone else does and the gap will shrink.

The player skill gap is another matter. Looking forward to seeing the next generation of ballers become known.

10. Rimamok

Rimamok Spellgazer
    Legend

While people are being unnecessary dicks about it, I have to agree that they're right.

1) you brought the back hits upon yourself by not having headphones on.
    2) it's part of the game to parry (and hopefully also avoid!) large knockups.
    3) if you feel progression is really the problem here, then don't diversify your character so much; instead, go Destro until your Archmage etc are at a decent level.

The situation you've described honestly seems to have very little to do with progression, and much more to do with choices you made, and some core mechanics of Darkfall combat that you just really can't brush aside.

If this really was a Magma and not a Stormblast, then I'd agree with YourLord and say, you don't yet know the mechanics well enough to jump to these kinds of conclusions.

When I was just getting out of my "newb" stage in DFO, I attacked a guy at a Ravager spawn. He hit me with Magma, and ray, Fireball, ray before I hit the ground. I was so low, so fast, that he just stopped attacking, and waited for me to walk away, which I did. This moment had nothing to do with progression. It had everything to do with my lack of knowledge on how to deal with s knockup sequence. Don't worry.... I'm the long run you'll actually embrace this as part of a large and beautiful system, even if it's painful right now.

jakobmillah likes this.
  11. Ledwulf

Ledwulf Deadeye
    Supporter

You guys should imagine how its going to be a new player in like two or three months when everyone is going to be maxed out. Id say frontload skills and stats even more and completely remove or at least lower spell requirments.

Killa162, Ylahoto and LordCaligular like this.
  12. Obeesho

Obeesho Black Knight
    Prosperous Affluent Legend

Scribing will go a long way towards helping late comers get caught up.

If someone were to join a few months or year from now you could put together a hell of a welcome package of scrolls and books.

13. NonFactor

NonFactor Forest Golem
    Wealthy Affluent Legend

the only problem is

this mmo dont give any protection or incentive (decent one) to stay blue.

14. Rimamok

Rimamok Spellgazer
    Legend

There are some incentives, like the ability to bank at any NPC city worldwide, and the ability to Capital Recall. While not enormous, if the incentives were any larger, then the penalty for going red would be too large. And this is coming from someone who has always been blue.

Ylahoto likes this.
  15. Ledwulf

Ledwulf Deadeye
    Supporter

if you have friends already playing.
    Starting solo or with a bunch of friends without knowing anyone will be exactly same as in vanilla.

I know how it feels as i joined year later and for another year was roflstumped every day and night by bored and maxed out vets.

Kwatos likes this.
  16. Whisper

Whisper Air Elemental
    ANN Reporter

It's not. Back in DFO I seeded an alt into a newbie clan just to see what their experience was like. This was towards the end of the game, so the newbie clan had a few older players with maxed characters. A few days into my character I was asked to duel by one of the other newbies, I took them apart. Another guy wanted to duel, then another. Eventually I worked my way through the entire clan, even flawlessed one of the SGs and his maxed character.

This was all on a character under a week old with no magic, no melee mastery, destroyer, plate, and r50s.

While I do agree with your OP that the gap is high right now, probably the highest it will ever be for the people who started at launch, it doesn't change the fact that skill is everything in DF. The gap just acts as a multiplier for that, one way or another.

Kwatos, Nat and Rimamok like this.
  17. Fenris

Fenris Celestial
    Hero

That's certainly a problem. Many players want DF to be a FPS when it's not.

18. davick

davick Goblin Warlord

Duh, this version of DF said they want to just recreate old darkfall. All pew pew. What's the problem? Thousands of people want to do nothing but this right, right....? Let's see if history repeats itself.

Zaffa Hex and Kwatos like this.
  19. Salival

Salival Skeleton Archer
    Hero

The gap will be a problem and will hit player retention hard imo, not even going to mention the gear gap that will be a massive problem...clans that have mines will have endless high end gear while other clans and new players will find getting gear a hassle.

Theses problems plagued DF1 as well...and did help in its demise, BPG definitely needs to address this soon...as mines are now being built, vet clans are taking over multiple holdings (with more mines)....its just a matter of time before the gap destroys the game.

Kwatos and Rimamok like this.
  20. NonFactor

NonFactor Forest Golem
    Wealthy Affluent Legend

it need more.

believe me, the 'deathmatch arena feeling' push away more ppl than atract.

vets always will fight vets, mainly cuz good spaws and villages...

is pretty much unnecessary for this game kill blue players outside npc cities to get fun.

protect blues until they realise how the game works, thats what im looking for.

#40 NonFactor, May 27, 2017
    Last edited: May 28, 2017
    antix, Ledwulf and Kwatos like this.