Welcome to the Rise of Agon Community

Create an account today to engage in discussions and community events on the Rise of Agon forums.

The gap at this stage

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jakobmillah, May 27, 2017.

1. Aristos Giannes

Aristos Giannes Cairn Giant
    Hero

I think it's hilarious how I will think i'm doing great getting close to my first r90 and weapon mastery and then some dude comes along cycling two r90s, both at 50, and hitting 10 points harder in melee. There's always gonna be some no lifer way stronger at this point in the game, and tons of tiny things add up to make the gap seem pretty huge. At least the gap closes every day

Kwatos and Fengor like this.
  2. Navlaan

Navlaan Infernal

The only thing I feel is lame is that some players have simply bought gold to max out magics (I get that some people also have no jobs, but I'm not going to blame more time played... I didn't have a job in 2009).

I'm also not saying it's wrong... once Nithron coins come out you can bet your ass I'm ditching destroyer and going magic once I legally buy gold lol. I think the progression is fine. I work 50 hour weeks and I have 80 vit and 70+ other stats (besides int and dex). Just don't roam solo if you can help it.

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
    Stoned and Kwatos like this.
  3. DarkGhost25

DarkGhost25 Black Knight
    Loyal Contributor Hero

The really big problem right now is impale, it's the casual player destroyer and it makes a destroyer's armor irrelevant. I'm done arguing about this, it's a big problem for the game.

4. Fengor

Fengor Eodrin

It's all about scaling the lower tier jewelery.

NEEDS TO BE FIXED PLEASE.

5. Copperfield

Copperfield Black Knight
    Legend

no pls.. that will make the other normal jewelery less more usefull

just change impale to acid dmg.. and everything is fine

Kwatos likes this.
  6. RootedOak

RootedOak Oak Lord
    Legend

Even if your character was 100% maxed you would have died the same way. It would have taken what, two more hits if your hp was higher?

One thing that is actually hard for a new player to understand is that when they do eventually max their character, it won't stop them from experiencing epic embarassing losses.

Especially ones that could have been prevented by having headphones on at all times listening for buffs, trannies and footsteps.

Kwatos, Rimamok and Fengor like this.
  7. Navlaan

Navlaan Infernal

I have yet to see one in-game.

Kwatos and Fengor like this.
  8. Fengor

Fengor Eodrin

Not even remotely....

If I had arcane rings that gave two points of protection instead of fucking .10 that didn't take 75+ skill to make, it would help our early game players intensely.

Does full plate armor make infernal less useful? People will still strive to equip the best gear. It's about helping newer players
    Not yet steamrolled.

Also, if mages don't have the arcane damage ray, they lose their most effective dps tool against destroyers. Hence, effective lower tier arcane rings, balances OP early game impale ray, but end game you can only have 15ish arcane protection so Mage still does great damage because it's arcane. But I digress.

Tldr: please correctly scale arcane jewelry protections

9. Copperfield

Copperfield Black Knight
    Legend

i understand your point of view.

but... this problem is a easy 10 min fix. without doing all the stuff you suggest...( its also an option yes)

But it would be alot easier, just to swap the dmgout put of impale to acid.. and let arcane rings work against towers of cities..

10. DagothUr

DagothUr Chosen of Khamset
    Legend

destroyers are already op, if impale was acid itd be ridiculously unbalanced..

Grimtide and Fengor like this.
  11. Rimamok

Rimamok Spellgazer
    Legend

Disagree with @Copperfield . Armor-piercing spells have always been a core part of Darkfall. The solution to one spell being out of balance against low-end gear is not to alter its function entirely. It's to just make the VERY simple fix that Fengor is suggesting.

Fengor likes this.
  12. WizardKing

WizardKing Dire Zombie
    Benefactor Tester

So an organized killing of an AFK is causing you to feel this way? Inspect your expectations as to why this isn't viable. If any group can just surround you and WOF. You CANNOT be killed because of your stats? This thought is actually antithetical of your premise that there is a character progression overload. You are suggesting that you should be able to withstand the attacks of 3+ people while you're startled eating a bowl of [insert nerd chips] on the couch? Thats not a gap you are speaking about. Its your assumptions as to why YOU want to win against them. Like you are some special snowflake god. OK.

13. Benevolence

Benevolence Akathar
    Supporter

The problem is not the gap itself, as thats prevalent in almost every game.

The problem is that you can lose your shit to someone on the high end of the gap while ur on the low end, which most dont mmos dont have.

reducing the gap would help this, but hurt other areas. Im gunna be blunt here and say it outright. if everyone was given maxed characters right now this game is dead in a couple weeks to a month. Frankly theres just not much else to do. progression is the main driving force of MMOs. the moment you dont have it is the moment people log in for less. only for fights/sieges. they dont farm as much because they dont need to buy regs so they dont go pve as much. theres less people to catch so theres less roamers. less roamers means less city raid means less gameplay for the people bankstaring till the next siege/raid. Its a slow painful death we've seen like 3 times now.

We have a good pop here now, and a solid push forward by BPG. I'm optimistic about them being able to add content and get new players before we start declining too far.

just keep in mind that any reduction in grind u ask for has wider reaching ramifications on activity.

personally i dont think it should be changed much right now, though when most of the current pop hits max they should pretty much remove the grind (1-2 weeks to 75 EVERYTHING) so the gap doesnt exist. at that point you either have enough other content outside of progression or it doesnt matter anyway.

DagothUr likes this.
  14. Myater

Myater Cairn Giant
    Hero

2 day old destro can have melee mastery and sharpshooter at 50. A good player on that can beat a bad player, and even some decent players, who might be higher level than him.

trammiesurprise, Fengor and Rimamok like this.
  15. aparks

aparks Obsidian Golem
    Legend

I highly believe if we had phases in a df launch it would be better.

2 weeks of lesser magic with no cap and skills and crafting capped at 25. Devs do a world boss event and after killing it Agon gets unlocked into stage two. Which is greater magic unlocked and pvp and crafting skills unlocked to 50 for 2 weeks. Than devs do a slightly harder world boss and when it dies stage 3 is unlocked.

Etc.

Any new player that joins automatically get to join in current stage so if they join in stage 3 lesser and greater magic level x4 speed and than they can also work on spellchanting with everyone that's been playing since launch. And also work skills up to level 75 etc.

16. Ogrinn

Ogrinn Deadeye
    Legend

I've been playing this game pretty hardcore, albeit not as hardcore as say the dune rats, instinct or blackwater. I have managed to get all my general and magic skills, stats 75+, two elemental magics to 100, and almost my third melee mastery. My friend who can only play 2 hours has fallen far behind, he has no mastery, no elemental schools to 50. We are both broke, all money goes into character development.

There has to be character progression, its a mmo, but I feel that its too hard for casual players to keep up. The cost of magic skills, their sub skills and their spells are too high. There needs to be repeatable daily or weekly tasks. The gap between weapon ranks still feels to large, maybe they need to be front loaded. There should be a rested skill gain bonus.(No power hour that will just increase the gap between casual vs harcore players)

Casuals shouldn't skill up as fast as a hardcore player, but they need some love if we want to retain a higher player base.

TL;DR The grind is great, for a hardcore players. Close the gap on weapon ranks further, add a rested skill gain bonus and add more tasks for casuals.

negocromn and Nat like this.
  17. Scrapnotcrap

Scrapnotcrap Eodrin
    Loyal Hero

A level 80 can't even kill à level 10 In wow so I find those comparison to be stupid.

18. Animal

Animal Eodrin
    Hero

@jakobmillah I get the feeling you're a genuinely nice individual from forum interactions, but this thread is a bit unbased. The true gap right now is what @Fengor already pointed out; Arcane Jewelry.

The gap you're speaking about is the individual player skill/knowledge gap comparative to new players. There's no easy way to mitigate that because it's up to the player to seek out information via other players or PvP videos to gain insight into lessening that gap.

The gap we have is probably the best it will ever be. Maxed characters used to be able to hit for ~200 damage with a single hit on the mount and spam every field AoE and r90 without a cooldown associated between them(With no penalty to damage based on distance from the spell radius).

The current meta is based around individual movement, aim, spell rotations, and melee transitions. If one masters the aforementioned, then the game will seem quite a bit easier to them.

jakobmillah and Fengor like this.
  19. DagothUr

DagothUr Chosen of Khamset
    Legend

So what are you going to do when casuals eventually max out and get fisted by everyone in pvp for all their gear and quit?

remove full loot and add tab targetting?

20. Benevolence

Benevolence Akathar
    Supporter

i like this idea very much, unfortunately launch is passed so thats that.

however, we cans till totally do shit like make lesser greater lvl faster. and IMO now would be a great time to start.

I think we can do something like lesser magic x2 skill gains right now and be fine. looking forward go in stages:

-increase lesser magic gains by 3x and greater by 2x.
    -lesser is 4x, greater 3x, spell chanting/witch are 2x.
    -lesser 5x, greater 4x, sc/witch 3x, elementals 2x
    -lesser 6x, greater 5x, sc/witch 4x, ele 3x, necro/arcane 2x.

-DONT SCREAM AT NUMBERS CONSIDER THE CONCEPT. devs can change numbers to w/e. this just illustrates the idea.

-archery is fine leave as is. easy to lvl tbh. Melee needs a little love in general. Something along the lines of slightly more gains for harder mobs. its annoying when the best way to lvl is to spam swings on shit mobs with a shit sword because u can wear armor and just not take dmg and go on for a long time swinging. only a small buff here is needed, and maybe for base melee skill only and leave mastery out of it

Id say plan for about 8 months to a year until the last stage. i think thats pretty conservative considering how even just a month in most people have some elemental or mastery. The idea is that the buff should come AFTER most people have skilled their shit up. its there for a new player coming in to catch up a bit faster.

aparks likes this.