Welcome to the Rise of Agon Community

Create an account today to engage in discussions and community events on the Rise of Agon forums.

The gap at this stage

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jakobmillah, May 27, 2017.

1. Bladra

Bladra Chosen of Khamset
    Tester Contributor

How casual do people want this game to be? I can invest 3-4 hours a day as is and keep up with the people pouring 12 hours a day skillwise.

TryHard likes this.
  2. Keurk

Keurk New Member

i am sorry, english isnt my native language and my point hasnt been well expressed if you understood this.
    What i meant was "it is up to you to be carefull and aware of the risks, and often your own mistakes are what lead to your death, and your frustration can be avoided often by playing carefully"

Everyone start and everyone stop playing a said game at some point. Thoses doing it because its "too difficult" or "two frustrating" will leave very fast anyway and you know it, especially if they can't understand the basic concept of progression and can't afford getting ganked in the early game. At the end , its always the same with niche smalls games specially hardcore ones : remains the vets, the hardcore farmers, and from time to time,from patches to patches or sales, some fresh players try the game and another natural selection operate.

A Harsh and hostile environement build strong players, determinated players, providing content by conflictuals situations. Then the natural selection operate. Give more hands to the starting players, and they will be even less ready to the harsh and actually true world, the hidden iceberg face.
    Like parents raising childs by providing them all what they need and creating half handicaped adult because too much handling.

Kwatos and Bladra like this.
  3. Amuru

Amuru Skeleton Archer
    Legend

Uh, RoA has offline meditation. So pretty sure that is a bad example to use for DnD. But the power hour sounds cool.

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
  4. Chersk

Chersk Skeleton Archer

I don't feel like dune rats or anyone else is far ahead at all. They're definitely trying hard but its pretty easy to stay competitive in this build of the game.

The only toon that I felt was ridiculously ahead at one point was Wally World. That fucking kid no lifed it hard core.

Fengor and Bladra like this.
  5. Mycke

Mycke Obsidian Golem

Im not sure either, but games have a natural attrition and a game of this type is only appealing to limited potential player base, so the question becomes based on this is it better to work on those that are playing or those that may come play?

I think its better at this point to work on trying to capture every actual potential player, because most people who get over the starting hump and play on, tend to stick around a bit, the barrier is that starting hump. A big issue is if pop loses its current momentum and few new players play then what ends up happening is lots of people start looking broader for PvP and the few noobs get effectively camped with many coming through to hunt and the same few to be hunted.

Its possible im wrong, but I think the odds favor this direction, at least these first couple months while advanced new content is less needed as people get skilled and polished, this is the window to appease the noobs because in a couple months the vets will be banging pans for new content for them.

Only the devs know the actual player statistics, so they will know if my reasoning reflects the numbers or not, but most games put their biggest early effort into their early game, where Dfs early game plays more like a showcase of its shortcomings you need to survive to get to the good stuff.

6. fullmight

fullmight Goblin Warrior

Well of course not, lots of bad pvpers are scared though since they might never be able to win a fight again if this happens. Plus they'll have to grind mobs once they can't curbstomp noobs for free loot due to their higher stats.

7. Friagrim

Friagrim Goblin Warrior

@jakobmillah what in the actual fuck? "I was standing there, with no sound, taking back hits and fall damage and I died too quick waaaaaaaa". Fuck right off. The gap in this game is next to fucking 0 compared to any other game on the market. Don't be a dumbass and u won't die in horribly embarrassing ways.

You have the most piss poor attitude, and clearly have every excuse in the book ready to go. Any self respecting clan would boot you for acting like a crybaby.

#147 Friagrim, May 29, 2017
    Last edited: May 29, 2017
    Fengor and Garou Lintermittent like this.
  8. jakobmillah

jakobmillah Earth Elemental

I can't take your response seriously, I'm sorry. You saying I have a shit attitude. Read your post again.

What people like you have to understand, is that there are more thoughts around the post than what people get out of the first few sentences. I did write that I did not care, and that is an honest statement. I am a person that usually thinks about others and this was a concern for all the new players.

There are no reasons not to kill new players. This is to me concerning.

People have to remember that this is 2017 and not 2002. The attention span among people these days is extremely short. If a player gets raided 3-5 times at the goblin spawn, I'm pretty sure they will just straight up leave. I might be wrong, but that's what I feel.

#148 jakobmillah, May 29, 2017
    Ledwulf, Amuru and Kwatos like this.
  9. klasseman

klasseman New Member

the grind aint bad at all, i cant see what att the fuzz is about. I've been playing a week now and with a couple hours of focusing each day and having a plan im almost at 75 int soon to buy archmage.

10. Ledwulf

Ledwulf Deadeye
    Supporter

You people just dont realize that what might be easy for you is not necesary easy for new comer. You assholes are playing this game for how long, like 5 years? Of course its easy.

Is more even field for everyone really that bad?
    Darkfall offer the most fun combat i have ever experienced in any game why it has to be hidden behind a huge grind wall on a shity spawns while being constantly jumped?

Killing a new player is so easy and rewarding its ridiculous. Give them chance to fight back.

Even dmg output. Let them grind for skills.

11. Garou Lintermittent

Garou Lintermittent Goblin Shaman
    Hero

If you had been standing around in your naked ass with a staff out, you would have died in 2.2 seconds with four hits to the back from a destroyer. Not sure why you would think rays are the problem. Actually, I donèt even know why you made this thread in the first place. If you do nothing, you die quickly.

Fengor likes this.
  12. tommeh

tommeh Dire Zombie
    Contributor Hero

Grinds not bad at all. A way to improve it in my opinion is quicker respawns on spawns and nerf gold cost for scrolls. More spawn scaling. Be good if skill gains were enabled during sieges too, used to be nice going siege for 2 hours and seeing your spells go up

13. Lincoln Hawk

Lincoln Hawk Fire Elemental
    Legend

Yea, solid point there on the scrolls especially with the task system gold getting nerfed. While the low end skills were altered to compensate for this, scroll crafting costs were not.

@BPG probably worth looking at lesser/greater magic/witchcraft/spellchanting scroll cost??

14. Grimtide

Grimtide Evil Eye
    Legend

15. Rexi

Rexi Skeleton Archer

The main problem is people are getting maxed, what do they do? Start roaming around all the farm spots and kill people.

When even more people get maxed, suddenly any new players wont be able to even fucking play since every spot is being roamed =D.

No idea how to fix this but this is what's going to happen.

16. Mexi Horseman

Mexi Horseman Goblin Warlord

This is a MMO.. The playing field is never going to be level.. If you want a level playing field go play Overwatch or the thousands of other shooters out there that give you a level playing field..

This is a world conquest, full loot, pvp sandbox mmo. The thing that is going to keep the new players around isn't making the grind easier.. It's helping them understand the mechanics and adding actual FUN sandbox content that is outside of PvP..

The PvP in darkfall is perfectly fine as is.. Focus on fixing bugs, then adding fluff to keep the non-pvpers around.. Make it easier to rebuild after losing your city by providing a "safeish" place for clans to rebuild their armada and attempt to go at it again. This is why EVE doesn't lose its entire player base every time someone loses their space.

There is somewhere the corps can go to rebuild.. Darkfall needs places where clans can rebuild and new players can get their feet under them without having to ally up with other clans and live in their cities. My suggestion is extend the reach of guard towers and make cities safe places unless you're at war.

I think these two changes would be an improvement over the NPE. Reducing the grind is not. As someone who literally grinds 1-2hrs a day I feel like i'm able to keep up quite well. Well enough I'm viable in group PvP and can hold my own solo unless i'm just way out skilled/geared.. then I'm ok w/ losing my bag. It's just the way these types of games are played.

BPG should be looking to cater to the type of people who like these types of games, not making the game so that casual WoW players enjoy it.

Look at the things that made past great sandbox games actually great. Socialization aspect of SWG:pre-CU is still unrivaled with the cantinas and buffs and such. EVE's PvP is balanced perfectly to get your feet wet or jump right into the deep end.

I have pretty much 400HP at this point. It took me YEARS to reach 400hp in DFO. I've got maybe 35hrs in game.

#156 Mexi Horseman, May 29, 2017
    Fengor and Lakisuria_Moonglade like this.
  17. Lincoln Hawk

Lincoln Hawk Fire Elemental
    Legend

Most peoples gear is still incredibly shit. High end mob spawns will 100% have a huge amount of conflict around them as people will want to be upgrading to what people class as " everyday pvp gear".

You will also see sieges for mines start to happen pretty soon too, which will hopefully give BPG some time to add in more content such as landtowers which have been discussed etc.

18. Rexi

Rexi Skeleton Archer

My suggestion is extend the reach of guard towers and make cities safe places unless you're at war..

Like no, the map is full of outposts and cities and most of the time you don't even know that you are running under a guard tower range?! Like the range should be lowered if something.

But I do agree the game needs something, currently its turning into roam simulator > where you just try to look out for some decent pvp, most of the time either side gets outnumbered.

Inb4 people start babling about sieges etc, we did one siege already I don't see conquering the world as a legit "endgame" solution.

19. Keurk

Keurk New Member

what is concerning me is why there should be no reasons to kill a new player? I heard the devs changed the loot table from the old DF in this one ,and people tell me its way better because now every mobs will drop things you might need at one point or another. Even the mobs farmed by the new players.

again i don't get this safety whill really, why in the hell a player going on a full loot game would like to peacefully level his character. if the player is getting raided the same way 3 time in a row, he should change spawn or maybe team up or ask in the new player tab chat for experienced players some help by mentionning the presence of PK groups etc.
    The worst thing in an MMORPG is being able to do mosts things solo and never have to rely on others. (tho i dont like zerg, i totally understand the "safety in number" )
    Also getting ganked will teach us newbs when to go bank, how to smartly use transfers or simply pots&resting to not make too much noises, etc etc etc.
    im pretty sure a bunch of people will leave after being ganked and? they not hardcore enought so what, change the game for them so its easier to start ?

It's the way you expose this that is concerning imo. Wanting to have new players somehow able to compete with people who invested days ,weeks etc into a game is just totally weird.

jakobmillah and Lincoln Hawk like this.
  20. Mexi Horseman

Mexi Horseman Goblin Warlord

Yea, I can see the flaws, i'm just spit balling here.. it just needs something, but reducing the grind further I don't think is really needed. There should be some progression, is my main point I tried to make in that wall o' text.
    --- Post updated ---
    I like that every item is craftable and where the crafting system in general is headed.. it feels like things are much more important now that were basically useless before.. The crafting system feels much more robust. Its really interesting now.. I didn't do one ounce of crafting before, but I find myself enjoying on a alt, running around harvesting and crafting..

The newbs need more than 24hrs to get to pvp viable. Maybe make a outdoor, in game world "practice arena" around the noob towns
    where noobs can go and battle with each other without alignment hits or losing their bags. Add some lore to it by requiring noobs to go through a training regemine against other noobs and help them setup their hotbars and learn to actually pvp. Reward them with super charged gains to a skill. Just like you would get if you were to train under a master of any craft. I dunno there is a million ways to do this stuff. Get creative I say.