Welcome to the Rise of Agon Community

Create an account today to engage in discussions and community events on the Rise of Agon forums.

The grind as of 8-28-16

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by ChronoHood, Aug 29, 2016.

1. ChronoHood

ChronoHood Windlord
    Hero

I'll speak mainly about the grind thus far.

1) PvE is boring and has to be done solo. This is boring. It's very boring to PvE in darkfall and making it nearly mandatory to solo spawns or duo them adds to the tediousness that is , gaining resources. No new players are going to stick around for the borefest that is DF1 pve.

2) Harvesting - City nodes were giving too much Shit . (almost) glad that is fixed. Regular harvesting is the most boring thing I've done in a game. Terrible change making it an "ACTIVE" activity.
    Listen .. I want to be mage in this game.. But I dont want to harvest for 2 hours to get 1 or 2 trips of regs to level my magic. And for those of you who say "Well go get gold and buy regs" ....

Ok so kill harvesting? I dont see anyone ever harvesting outside in the wilderness anymore.. You've killed harvesting.. because it's fucking boring.. Even actively harvesting , I can't stomach it for more than 3 trees without totally forgetting what I was doing 30 minutes later and ending up with like 30 logs. And I have all day to sit here and try to make the game fun.. But you killed it a lot for me with the harvesting change. Now that the city nodes will no longer provide an amount of regs that makes the aforementioned grind tolerable .. I'm placing things on the back-burner unfortunately.

You cannot make this game grindy. We are too old to grind in games now.
    Think i'm wrong? I hope you you have a financial plan - B guys. You're going to be left with very little wolves and no sheep... in no time..

Will keep my eyes on things for a while longer but I'm deeply upset at the grind. Besides ,the only players who have killed me so far have been the ones who have exploited mobs.. I know this because they were casting spells far stronger than mine and wearing R60's... this was the end of week 1...
    Week 1..

I dont think I'll be playing after the sub runs out.
    Main reason: The fun is gone. The grind has taken it's place. And believe me .. it really didnt take much for me to like this game. I like harvesting , then going out and hunting. But being forced to actively harvest and then PvE these mobs that just have seizures all the times while fighting you.. nearly dodging everything.. wasting all your regs.. Umm .. no thanks. Not fun anymore. I understand this is beta and this is my feedback thus far. Just feedback that's all. We all have different play styles.. Mine is more like the , hoard and help noobs kind of gameplay.

And all I've seen in terms of PvP has been people wardecking NEW players in towns to steal their shit while they go exploit mobs. No I'm serious .. put a stop to the gayness. The noobs are being run straight out of the game by either these people , the grind , the boring PvE , or the realization that there is literally no incentive to play other than learning the game before launch.

As far as what you are doing right? - Adding better loot to mobs and making changes to the UI that requires nobody use auto-hotkey. The patching speed and frequency is great. The communication with the community. Just remember that this game doesnt have to be a grind and it doesnt have to be boring. The more mats people have.. the more PvP there will be. Nothing will turn people away from a good game more than having no direction and noticing an early grind. DF1 is currently plagued with both problems. I know you are working on 1 of those right now.

To the trolls:
    I dont really care about you. Flame on.

Quin Tessence and Circa like this.
  2. Sero

Sero Menhir Sentinal
    Loyal Legend

Harder mob spawns + easier gains = More prominent group PVE = funner game

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
    Dixie Normus likes this.
  3. ChronoHood

ChronoHood Windlord
    Hero

And the loot? = Still crap.
    They need to do the mob multiplayer thing like AV did. Its one of the biggest problems with PvE right now.

4. Kilset

Kilset Black Knight
    Hero

many players haven't exploited mobs and have r60s, fp, infernal, cobras etc. so...

5. Sero

Sero Menhir Sentinal
    Loyal Legend

Just double the loot... the loot goes up with difficulty.

6. Mighty

Mighty Skeleton Archer
    Hero

I agree and disagree with a lot of what you've said.

1. I actually found I can't Solo farm, its hard AF to solo farm and the only time I've done any real farming was with a group of 2+ people. That said obviously they need to make it more lucrative to have more players farming together or have better group PvE mechanics. UW made it so more players at a spawn means more monsters spawning and adjusted how challenging they are.

2. I'm not sure how changing harvesting to be more "Active" makes it any more or less boring... Harvesting was boring as fuck before and its obviously going to be boring as fuck now. At least now I can get more mats quicker, I actually enjoy the change they did with this. If you think you can harvest to get all the regs required to level magic you're just crazy. Possible yes, efficient... No.

Am curious to know why you think its a bad change / possible ways to fix it

3. Mob Ai is indeed retarded

People are wardecking new clans? what clans are doing this?

7. Yourlordandsavior

Yourlordandsavior Chosen of Khamset
    Legend

You know a post isnt worth reading when it assumes people who disagree are trolls.

8. ChronoHood

ChronoHood Windlord
    Hero

To answer your first :
    I typed a lengthy response to this but the forum had a bug and it looked like I duplicated a post so I deleted one.. And it deleted both.
    I just dont feel like typing it out again so heres a link to my already made suggestion:
    https://forums.darkfallriseofagon.com/threads/harvesting-please-dont-kill-the-afk-part.3577/
    The jist of my idea is there .. One slow way of harvesting , yiels more mats per tree but in 3x longer time.
    And a fast / active way like we have now , to gain mats much quicker or whatever.
    It just keeps the people who enjoy the afk-ness of harvesting happy while not having anyone bitch at them for "gaining mats AFK" .. cause with my proposal , I'd make it almost not even worth it to afk on harvest.. but many would do it because of their play styles.

You'd have more people harvesting than you do now ..
    Meaning more mats in the world in a completely risky way .. these guys will be like mobile chaos chests..
    It wont necessary make people want to bot with a 2nd account any more than they would now. So it's not giving that much of an incentive.. although I would still anyway to support the company and keep an edge.

And Who is going the wardecking?
    "Black People" Tyrone Jones is said to be squanto and he's running with the same goons who cheated in the other DFs.. i'm sure they are working on a program to hack into this one as well. The admins would be ignorant not to take heed to that knowledge.
    --- Post updated ---
    But what if I didn't assume that people who disagree with me are trolls?
    The trolls can suck me.

The people who disagree can provide their feedback or not .. or question me like mighty..

I've already proven your comment to be completely irrelevant.. Would you like to retort?

9. Mighty

Mighty Skeleton Archer
    Hero

Yeah, I enjoyed how you could afk harvest. Every morning I'd wake up at 6am, make my coffee, harvest my iron nodes and do homework before class and now its much harder to do so. I'd appreciate a dual system one for active farming and more or less non-active farming.

ChronoHood likes this.
  10. Hate

Hate Goblin Warrior
    Supporter

IMO grind is fine. It isn't anywhere near as bad as DFO 1. I always feel like I'm making progress every time I play.

Harvesting is fine also. Sure a little tedious, but if you don't like harvesting the buy the mats from other people who don't mind it. This is an MMO, not a single player game.

The mentality that everyone needs to max everything before playing the game is a serious problem. BPG has the right idea about front loading things to help that.

Also, people who exploit need the banks wiped and if they are in a clan, then every CB they have access to also needs to be wiped.

I do agree however that mobs need to be made worthwhile to farm in groups, dfuw may have been onto something here.

11. ChronoHood

ChronoHood Windlord
    Hero

Update on the city nodes - they seem to be giving 1 resource per minute. I hit our grove for 15 wood and went to cook eggs..
    I come back and hit the grove again for another 15 wood.. Thats 15 wood in 15 minutes...

Whoever wants that kind of grind can go to hell. I had stopped looking for a new game for 2 solid weeks.. lol .. Time to start again if the want it like this!

12. Sero

Sero Menhir Sentinal
    Loyal Legend

The problem with the grind currently is the subskills. You grind hard to get to 100 magic... and then you arent even close to being done.

Circa likes this.
  13. ChronoHood

ChronoHood Windlord
    Hero

That may be your perception right now but do you realize that a lot of the spells have a bit more utility or are a bit more situational than you might originally think? Having the main school be near 100 for them to be active makes sense to me. All that grind to me is fine.

The grind for mats is not. It causes people to end up spending more time on mobs + PvE than PvPing... Believe it or not .. more people will play a game that is more fun than grindy ... Rather than one that is grindy ..with fun on the back-end.

I like to grind to an extent .. I'm just saying it's a bit misplaced. If the harvesting of city nodes is going to be this raped , the balance has been overthrown. Literally the city nodes (as OP as they were) were the only things keeping me able to hunt and build my magic spells..
    I currently dont want to hunt anything with only melee/arrows and buy regs with gold. I was fine harvesting for just what regs I needed to make some hunts.. Harvesting for 15-20 minutes on city nodes to hunt for an hour or so was ok with me.. Now its going to be hunting shit mobs for gold or regs for 40 minutes to hunt what I really want to hunt for maybe 30-40 minutes. Fun was lost.
    /feedback
    --- Post updated ---
    Also just thought of this.. Another reason this may be a problem for my style of gameplay is because the little rocks and trees near my spawn dont hold enough shit for me to keep fighting mobs with .. that little bit keeps players going at their spawn.. or completely maintains them if theres enough stuff around to harvest.. for mages anyway. Like .. I said damn .. I'm out of resin .. let me hit this tree .. oh .. I got 12 ... damn .. whats that 6 earth arrows? :(

14. Flying Dutchmaster

Flying Dutchmaster Gravelord
    Legend

Chrono sounds like you're playing wrong bro

Dixie Normus and RootedOak like this.
  15. ChronoHood

ChronoHood Windlord
    Hero

Well I'm new to DF1. Care to explain a better way? If my main problem is not wanting to buy regs from the vendor and wanting to use magic. What would you do?

16. Battle Smurf

Battle Smurf Oak Lord
    Legend

The magic school grind post 75 and manual stat gains from swinging/shooting might indeed be too slow but when you talk about harvesting as a way to get reagents to level your magic...you're going to lose a lot of people immediately because the premise is absurd.

That isn't and never has been the way people acquire reagents to level magic. Infact anyone who leveled a magic school to 100 just with the reagents they got off harvesting would be on some Guinness Book Of World Records shit.

You kill something for gold and you buy the regs off the vendor like a normal human...

Circa, Ylahoto, Hook and 1 other person like this.
  17. Mighty

Mighty Skeleton Archer
    Hero

Not to be an ass but, Its not viable to harvest all your regs, its why you have an arcanist/mage who sells them. People harvest for snakeweed, steedgrass, wood, ore, rare ore... they don't harvest for the regs, those are just a side-perk.

I'd suggest doing both, harvesting in your off time and farming in your on time to get gold. Gold that can buy regs, armor, weapons, and anything else in-game you'd want.

Now for the best solution you can get in-game right now.

1. Harvest whenever get side-regs

or

1. Go to Darkfall-info.com

2. Search for a reg (resin,mandrake etc)

4. Look at the mob-spawns near you that drop those regs in abundance

5. Check if they're hard, easy, whateva

6. Farm Farm Farm

You can farm mobs to get gold + they drop regs and it'll get your melee skill up, or even magic if your say killing trolls who drop sulfur with fire magic, just like killing hobgoblins with a bow and picking up their arrows.

Ylahoto and RootedOak like this.
  18. ChronoHood

ChronoHood Windlord
    Hero

Thanks for that info. I guess I didnt realize regs were really meant to be bought from the vendor. Seems like a huge goldsink I guess which is okay in terms of that I guess. I still dont like the lumber rate and the fact that these ore nodes that are pretty hard to find around both of our player cities only drop about 20 ore per node. Its not ONLY the regs. I can't imagine how I'm gonna feel when I want to start crafting. For now I'll just kill shit and buy regs ... like a *gags* normal human.

19. Lexendros

Lexendros Infernal
    Legend

^

20. Hekkr

Hekkr Deadeye
    Hero

Man that last fucking sentence triggered me so hard. This is the exact type of people every single game developer caters to, any now you come here to a group of people that wants a sensible steady grind so you don't get everything in 2 weeks. And someone already starts shit like this.

You are obviously playing the game wrong, you need to kill mobs for gold. It's impossible you are not able to kill mobs and buy the regs.