Welcome to the Rise of Agon Community

Create an account today to engage in discussions and community events on the Rise of Agon forums.

The Problem With Player Vendors and Sanguine

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Nat, Jul 6, 2017.

1. Nat

Nat Shadow Knight
    Legend

The addition of player vendors won't solve the stale trading scene. It will just result in Sanguine being a laggy shithole filled with naked alts and vendors.

I can't think of a reason to place it anywhere else but Sanguine. Human alts are extremely common so they can recall to Sanguine. Everyone already uses Sanguine for trading so it's only natural people will place vendors there too.

Ways to maybe curb this:

Tax. Everything sold on a vendor in a lawful zone has a 1-10% added gold tax. Said gold then disappears from the game (or to the ruling clan?). The more vendors around, the more tax is to a maximum of 10%.

Discuss.

2. nightblighter

nightblighter Akathar
    Patron

They have yet to explain how player vendors will work in detail so I don't know how much there is to discuss. This could be a good idea, but the devil is in the details. I also am worried that there will be no trading scene outside of sanguine and so we will still need to have alts just for trading.

KingLlama and Fengor like this.
  3. purplehays1

purplehays1 Goblin Scout

Ya they need to make it sothat any vendor can be used from any capital or the vendors will literally do nothing but make selling in sanguine automated. The whole problem is the need to get to sang in order to trade, and as others have stated all the vendors will just be placed in sang not fixing the problem.

4. clandestino2a

clandestino2a Skeleton Archer

there will probably be a limit in the number of vendors for one city and as long as players can sell their stuff without having to spam trade chat for hours it will be a lot better. 10 % tax will have no purpose except being a gold sink. does the game need a new gold sink ?

5. nightblighter

nightblighter Akathar
    Patron

Actually if they put enough new sinks in the game they might be willing to open the faucet a little, which would indirectly make buying regs, meditation, and scrolls cheaper. So I will say yes, this game could use a new gold sink.

Fengor likes this.
  6. MWTaylor

MWTaylor Community Manager
    Staff Member BPG Representative Game Designer

Give me a couple days Nat and we will have our official design thread opened on this topic. You guys may even get to test the placement mechanics on our public test server very soon too!

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
  7. Burning

Burning Goblin Shaman
    Legend

Darkfall is ~16 years old, I truly hope you aren't experiencing fps lag at this point, even with player vendors.

#7 Burning, Jul 7, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2017
    Slayven likes this.
  8. Quin Tessence

Quin Tessence Black Knight
    Legend

He says "May" because they don't know if the server is going to have a stroke the next time they patch the game. :dizzy:

9. Korag

Korag Evil Eye
    Hero

See you would think this, but if you place vendors in good locations and they are well stocked and taken care of with good prices then people will travel, people traveled in df1 to houses, In uo to houses all over the place, what we really need is portals that connect the city's so any of them and all of them become viable options

10. Aristos Giannes

Aristos Giannes Cairn Giant
    Hero

It's not well optimized though. Even with a good rig you're definitely going to encounter FPS drops at huge sieges.

kilrath81, Fengor, Oresmacker and 2 others like this.
  11. MerleisAirdburne

MerleisAirdburne Black Knight
    Supporter

For trading, add a 4th recall called "marketplace". It will be a safe and enclosed area that people can recall to, to do their trades. There, saved bpg months of design work

nightblighter and Nat like this.
  12. mrW

mrW Black Knight
    Legend

There is no point implementing vendors then, might aswell just went with globally accessible auction house then, because that's what you guys really want. I hope the devs already thought about this and vendors will be more than that.

13. MikeJT

MikeJT Black Knight
    Supporter

Great...

Now we can't even get away from Sales Tax/VAT/GST in Darkfall.
    --- Post updated ---
    I'm assuming that Darkfall doesn't make good use of occlusion culling. That means there's a tonne of overdraw during rendering.

Basically, further objects are rendered first, then objects slightly closer are rendered on top, then closer objects again are rendered on top again and so on and so forth, until you get to your final frame.

You will notice, that your FPS drops before you even see the people at the bank, so long as you're looking in the direction of the bank.

That's because, despite the fact that you can't actually see the people at the bank, they're still being rendered and you're still calculating mesh deformations for animations before you can even see them.

I'm also guessing that Darkfall doesn't take advantage of hardware instancing. Hardware instancing was introduced in DirectX 9 in 2002, but games didn't take advantage of it immediate. I'm basing that on the fact that vegetation kills FPS like crazy when realistically it shouldn't. I can render 500, 5000, 50,000 grass particles in Unity or Unreal Engine with minor performance impact vs Darkfall which can kill about 30-50 fps just by maxing out vegies with minimum distance.

Long story short - it's really not a game that's been optimised for modern hardware or API's. Games are getting better looking AND performing so well because of smarter use of hardware, not just more powerful hardware.

See, simple as that!

otoan, kilrath81, Fengor and 3 others like this.
  14. Korag

Korag Evil Eye
    Hero

nah People need to be able to set up markets all over the map, trying to make everything in one place takes away from it. a big ass world doesn't wanna see people having to go to one spot. Then do ya make it with towers? Ya kinda have to right? well then reds would have to get an alt? So I don't like this idea much.

15. miasMa

miasMa Varangian Warthane
    Benefactor Legend

I hope you guys made a new city that will be a trade hub and have portals from all capital cities to it, that would be awesome imo...
    --- Post updated ---
    Yeah, red players don't need consequences for their actions I agree. /s

16. Animal

Animal Eodrin
    Hero

@MikeJT Did the guy in that video just suggest that SIMD optimizations on a software renderer are going to outperform the GPU? *shudder*

Fengor likes this.
  17. Korag

Korag Evil Eye
    Hero

red players not being able to trade doesn't consequence them Genius, it does however negatively effect the market since least 1/4 to half of all players are red that is a lot of economy not fully involved in the market. Punishing everyone cause some people are red is bad an thinking otherwise is fairly ignorant

18. KingLlama

KingLlama Infernal
    Supporter Lifetime

We need a better lod system or a culling system.

19. miasMa

miasMa Varangian Warthane
    Benefactor Legend

You're the only one insinuating Reds wouldn't have the same option just without towers aka Chaos trading hub. Sorry you went Red bub, suck it up and deal with the consequences or get an alt account with all of your loot you've gained by going red with GTTs.

20. Korag

Korag Evil Eye
    Hero

See you just making assumptions, I am blue and still believe your idea is not a good one. Allows vendors as they have said they will be doing to be placed all over in different places will make it so reds will be able to trade near the same places as a blue, you could put a vendor in a chaos city that is frequented and possibly increase the traffic because of that, putting a ton of useless restrictions and punishments on players is the opposite of sand box and all around a horrible idea.

Also your earlier post was simply a variation of one I posted before you saying connect the capitols with the current teleport system witch makes a lot more sense than building a new city as a "Trade Hub" witch basically is what we have in sang right now, or the lame global market like UW had. Spreading vendors out makes Several hot spots, creates competition that isn't going to drive prices into the dirt and allowed for better free trade.