Welcome to the Rise of Agon Community

Create an account today to engage in discussions and community events on the Rise of Agon forums.

The scrolls and why it is a poor direction.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Nooblet, Sep 8, 2016.

1. Nooblet

Nooblet Goblin Shaman
    Legend

I played yesterday for a few hours farming quite a few different monsters on a new toon.

This is my personal feedback along with friends I play with.

This is completely the wrong direction you want to go with the game. You are making new players experience worse then it was before. You are penalizing casuals and blues.

Why is that?
    1. If you are playing casual you now have to farm useless mobs to upgrade important spells far longer then you did before playing normally. (unless you get lucky)
    2. You now have RNG to leveling like why? (even Rust got rid of that because its garbage)
    3. You are forcing casuals to now how have to travel around the map and promoting players mostly to live out of chaos cities to level up important spells.
    4. This is very not intuitive system and you refuse to provide new players information(Why?)
    5. You should be designing systems that help new players in the world then hinder them.
    6. Another barrier for character gap.
    Well we see more people out the in the world!
    1. Yeah because its mostly vets playing and we know how to easily travel the world and know how to find the mobs we want.
    2. We are testing these changes.

This system might be able to be altered to be useful if you make it so RNG isn't as big and also not require large amounts of travel to just level up your character. Currently it reduces the reason to hold a city as you have to now move around a lot to just be able to grind your character up. It also hinders NPE even more then previously, which we all should be against as we need to retain and grow the population for ROA to be successful.

Maejohl, The Law, Myater and 2 others like this.
  2. onslaught

onslaught Black Knight
    Affluent Loyal Patron

This is why the player should decide what scroll it is. I like the idea posted in another thread that basically states to drop a blank scroll for that magic class and let the player "craft" a spell for the bonus, with regs and maybe a little bit of gold. That way the casual player can craft the scrolls and use them for what he wants to raise.

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
  3. LisaL

LisaL Stormgraive
    Legend

I think its poor design to require 20-30 scrolls for 1 spell to max, when the possibility of 69 spells to drop from the same mob exists. If you could target farm them easier with less RNG the system would be much better. Getting 1 scroll for 15 different spells during a 1-2 hr farm session feels very awful. Cool you gained more actual points than if you were to macro, but your character feels just as weak than when you started and it feels like you didn't accomplish anything. But if you could kill a monster than only dropped transfer spells, or heal spells, or buff spells, you may be able to get to 75 in a couple spells in the same time frame and feel some advancement.

Jayro and onslaught like this.
  4. Nooblet

Nooblet Goblin Shaman
    Legend

The other thing is that in a general area they should be able to get all the spells they need like living out of alfar lands I should be able to fairly easily get all the scrolls types. They game shouldn't be forcing me to the ends of the earth just to level my toon.

The other thing that might be better is a PP style system so I can more freely choose what I am leveling instead of having to farm useless mobs in the middle of no where.

5. Vic

Vic Spellgazer
    Legend

Ever tried playing with not having everything and using what you got? Its quite fun actually.

Monarch and Hate like this.
  6. Sero

Sero Menhir Sentinal
    Loyal Legend

Guy BPG hasnt even scratched the surface of NPE.

First off. The rng thing is a load of bs. You farm the right mobs, you're going to get the right scrolls, and the spell will level faster.
    --- Post updated ---
    Not to mention you can buy scrolls..
    --- Post updated ---
    Not to mention you can buy scrolls..

trammiesurprise likes this.
  7. _SeeD_

_SeeD_ Goblin Warlord

They can only change the game in certain ways and this is the best they could come up with, like it or not.

Monarch and Sero like this.
  8. pathion

pathion Gravelord
    Supporter

its actually really hard to tell how this will affect the game. most people have somewhat advanced characters, so ya its really annoying to farm scrolls now cause you need to do low end mobs.

9. Ford Prefect

Ford Prefect Frostjarl
    Benefactor Contributor Legend

All this fucking community does is bitch bitch bitch. I was at goblins for a few hours last night and got 75 on all 3 transfers and heal self, as well as 50+ on almost every other GM and LM spell. I think that is more than reasonable. On top of that, once people learn what drops what, it will be much easier to farm for what you need.

+1 to BPG for this change. It will probably need a little tweaking, but well done.

10. Sique

Sique Fire Giant
    Legend

I just farmed goblins for 2 1/2 hours and got two of my transfers up by 3 points, my heal self up by 7 points, my begone up by 6 points, my magic shield up by like fucking 4 points, magic ward by 6, my shrapnel (would have been had it not been worse to level it) by like 8 points, infliction ward up by 4, etc.

RNG is not good.

Myater likes this.
  11. onslaught

onslaught Black Knight
    Affluent Loyal Patron

Oh shit, wait. So you're saying you like the change because the RNG gods shit scrolls down your throat? Neat, that's not predictable or anything.

kilrath81 and Myater like this.
  12. Garou Lintermittent

Garou Lintermittent Goblin Shaman
    Hero

Pretty much what I've been saying since I saw the changes.

onslaught likes this.
  13. onslaught

onslaught Black Knight
    Affluent Loyal Patron

I like the system because it is trying to get rid of macroing, and macroing is poo. However, it is out weighed by the rng factor, which is immense amounts of poo.

Myater likes this.
  14. dragula

dragula Gravelord
    Legend

Coming from the dude who plays 20 hours a day. ;) What was "a few hours"? 12?

Myater likes this.
  15. Flux D

Flux D Undead Dwarf
    Benefactor Legend

You guys just have to give it time. It's going to be really good for the NPE actually.

All you guys are thinking about now is how hard it is to level up those skills right now. But think of 6 months into the launch and trying to get a new person started on the game. 1) farming tons of goblins/trolls will really help the player learn the game 2) you'll have an extensive market for scrolls causing more player interaction 3) better scrolls like reflect, wof, witches brew, etc will be contested farming locations 4) by the time a character can learn the spell, they should have enough scrolls to get it decent leveled.

Andrew, Nat, KingLlama and 1 other person like this.
  16. Skotemo

Skotemo Akathar
    Hero

I still think a better option would be to add a second version of meditation. One that is a 1 for 1 ratio 1 point for one point of skill you can only fill with points obtained via scrolls or any new cureency you wanna call it at 3-5 per any mob can drop and harder mobs can drop multiple. Both regular and "scroll" meditation work at the same time. IE I can level strength and begone together each from the respective pool. Quests could add points as well. This promotes anti macro and group play. (Harder mobs more scrolls) and takes out the RNG factor as well. Keep the new tab only allowing the 69 spells so people canot get free powerleveling. Means any "scroll" is sellable as well. Easy to balance drop rates so you can reasonably say one spell to 50 in a 1 to 2 hour session. Or adjust acordingly and for the love of god transfers and heal self should level from use.

#16 Skotemo, Sep 9, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2016
    Myater likes this.
  17. ChronoHood

ChronoHood Windlord
    Hero

Totally upset at this change. I can't level up spells as I use them. More reds will camp these spawns hindering the NPE. This increases the grind or makes you grind shit you dont want to grind in order to level.. RNG To the leveling system is not something I enjoy. These will fill up banks several months in and make it so that new players can instantly level with scrolls once they flood the market and clan banks.

The only good thing is that this will TEMPORARILY boost the economy.. And its totally not worth it.

Myater likes this.
  18. Incanuth Archbane

Legend

My issue is that the scroll system will confuse new players even more. They're going to be using transfers and heal self while killing goblins and wondering why the hell their skills aren't leveling. Scrolls shouldn't be the only way to level these spells, especially things like transfers, heal self, heal other, and sacrifice. Those already leveled at a reasonable pace. I can understand scrolls for spells like wards, buffs, launch, telekinesis, etc but I think different implementations need to be looked at. What might happen if things stay as they are is that you will have new players competing with vets for goblin spawns and other shitty spawns that veterans would have usually skipped.

Myater and negocromn like this.
  19. SomeBK

SomeBK Infernal
    Legend

That Kool-aid must be pretty damn good.

Good luck on this broken approach to supposedly tackle macroing.

All my old methods of macroing nukes and melee on an alt still work. Way to widen that newbie to vet gap even more

20. Ford Prefect

Ford Prefect Frostjarl
    Benefactor Contributor Legend

I'm pretty sure that I was at it long enough that RNG wasn't really a factor. I had plenty of shrapnel/magic ward/light scrolls at the end of it as well. But everyone here figures that if they haven't maximized their gains after trying shit for an hour that the system must be broken. Maybe you are just doing it wrong.

trammiesurprise likes this.