Welcome to the Rise of Agon Community

Create an account today to engage in discussions and community events on the Rise of Agon forums.

The simplest change to my quality of life would be reducing reagents from 6 to 1

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by nightblighter, Dec 7, 2018.

1. nightblighter

nightblighter Akathar
    Patron

It isn't the worst aspect of the GUI, but having to shift drag 6 reagents everytime you leave the bank adds up in the long term. I don't personally see any immersion value in having all different reagents, or any other value really. It is just superficial inventory management. This isn't the first time this has been brought up, but here it is again because its a good idea.

Remove 5 reagents and make the game flow better!

2. chad

chad Infernal
    Loyal Hero

No, it is an RPG aspect in a game desperately lacking RPG elements.

However, it would be nice to have a single click restock key.

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
    windbanger, koruun, phuture and 14 others like this.
  3. nightblighter

nightblighter Akathar
    Patron

Reagents are cargo cult role playing. BPG could wave their hands and say that all elements can be cast with 1 reagent in Agon and it would have exactly the same weight as a world with 6 reagents.

And we've been waiting forever for restock/gearbag. Still waiting.

Methodico and Leopold Stotch like this.
  4. Leopold Stotch

Leopold Stotch Dire Zombie
    Wealthy Loyal Hero

Gear bag templates would be phenomenal. I think that honestly, creating gear bags and dragging tons of stuff into every single ready bag is the worst part of the game

Methodico, Grimtide and Scrapnotcrap like this.
  5. Grisvok

Grisvok Skeleton Archer

I was on board with one reagent for awhile. I’m used to 6 now. I would like to see them sold for 2g though. Or at least 2g in dungeons. It’s annoying to farm them and the market isn’t really filling orders.

6. kinglear

kinglear Black Knight

I actually wish they would expand each reg into 6 additional regs, getting us to 36 regs

Methodico, koruun, Billy Lee and 4 others like this.
  7. Sero

Sero Gnoll Vilegaunt
    Loyal Legend

Same. I love organizing my bank, and making bags. Bank staring is one of the best parts of Darkfall.

Methodico, Cudelr and kinglear like this.
  8. onslaught

onslaught Black Knight
    Patron

why does making gear still take so long? its poop, make everything craftable from 1 screen plz, enchants, armor, everything. Should be able to craft armor with enchants on it

Sameog likes this.
  9. GrimReapiN

GrimReapiN Chosen of Khamset
    Contributor

Reagents could fit right on its own hotbar along with all other numbered consumables including potions, food, arrows, blackpowder, battlespikes.
    Then allow us to set the number ourselves for each of those.
    Then make it have a restock button* and were golden.
    Go to bank, press restock butto , have the number of everything you want.

Blaze and Fengor like this.
  10. Zeb

Zeb Infernal
    Wealthy Hero

How about we just use gold to cast our spells how simple would that be?

Simplicity, is just that.. simple, you can make a game so simple be accepting pleas like these to make it so.. so simple that depth of the game is only inches deep.

Like seriously how hard is it to code a script into the game that checks and restocks reagents in your backpack?

11. Cista Ashbow

Cista Ashbow Goblin Scout

The reason they are scarce on the market is that they are worth more than 4g.

12. KoKane

KoKane Celestial

A 'Restock' feature, that everyone wants for QOL imrpovements, would also address this bizzare problem you're having

13. Billy Lee

Billy Lee Varangian Warthane
    Team B Lifetime

Having only one reagent would have a negative impact on the economy and make loot tables less interesting, it would also cause a negative shift in the values of monster spawns. UW had two reagents and both of them were worthless and very bland.

Korag, Thrill Kill, kinglear and 4 others like this.
  14. Scrapnotcrap

Scrapnotcrap Eodrin
    Hero

I want 1 type of reg or we might aswell remove regs from the npc's just so that players can increase their value on the market.

Theres absolutely no point in gaving 6 type of regs if they all have the same value just because they cost 4g each by default.

15. Billy Lee

Billy Lee Varangian Warthane
    Team B Lifetime

The game needs as many new items as possible, whether it's crafting materials, collectibles, weapons, or whatever. New items get people out in the world doing things. I do understand the logic behind condensing reagents but it is really harmful. What happens to gathering? Iron ore becomes the only loot from iron nodes? That's boring (and let's face it, it's already lacking as it is).

Low tier monsters like trolls drop lots of reagents, take that away and it's one step closer to them being obsolete. Sure, you can replace the current reagents with the new one, but the server will undoubtedly be saturated with that reagent. On a subconscious level I think it makes the looting process less enjoyable as well, returning home with 500 ashes and 300 sulfur feels better than 800 generic reagents.Fewer reagents result in less interesting task and quest rewards and in fact, it is very likely they would not be usable as rewards any longer.

Korag, Fengor, Sero and 1 other person like this.
  16. koruun

koruun Gravelord

What some here are actually alluding to is the desire for more instant gratification, by extension of wanting systems like reagent pruning and gearbag templates, both of which would allow you to get into battle faster and counteract the impact of death and character preparation. I personally am against this, it takes depth out of the game, and as @chad said this game needs more RPG elements, not less. I wish spells were more complicated than what we have.

Korag and Billy Lee like this.
  17. GrimReapiN

GrimReapiN Chosen of Khamset
    Contributor

Would be nice to have so many different spells and weapons, that it would be near impossible to be like everyone else.

Guess we could start with balancing what we have now. Team B keep it up!

Billy Lee likes this.
  18. nightblighter

nightblighter Akathar
    Patron

This idea that reagents = role playing is shallow. Real role playing comes from playing the game. A single player who spent an hour captaining a ship, peppering coastal cities with cannon fire, while typing like a pirate in public, will have added more role playing value to Agon than the past 10 years of all of us pulling reagents from the bank.

The depth and complexity of Agon comes from the interactions between players in the open world. Freeing us from the tyranny of this bit of inventory management will increase the time spent out in the world, which will on the margin increase the amount of interactions in the open world, which is far more valuable than different reagents. By simplifying the least social and least meaningful activities, far more depth will be added than removed. This game is about players, not inventory.

In regards to market values, all my buy orders for reagents get filled over a number of days, so someone has excess of everything. Thus there will still be excess when 6 become 1. I assume the market price would be some sort of weighted average of the previous 6 reagents.

Monsters will still drop the 1 reagent, so I guess believing 2 reagent loot is better than 1 just comes down to preference.

Reagents will still be meaningful as task rewards because we will all still need the 1 reagent, and again they do sell on the market in some amount.

For gathering, looting reagents always bummed me out because I gather for the gather mats and if I need reagents I just buy them.
    --- Post updated ---
    ADDENDUM to my last argument:

If BPG took the bold step of removing reagents from NPC vendors, my opinion on this would change. It is obvious from the fact that you can buy reagents from NPCs that they are nothing more than a gold sink. Pretending that something you can buy in infinite quantities from an NPC has role playing value is ridiculous. As Zeb sarcastically pointed out, if we are reducing reagents to only 1 we could just simplify 1 more step and spend gold on spells. But that is literally how it already is. The transaction between you and the Mage vendor is a mirage. We already spend gold to cast spells. Removing reagents from NPC vendors would completely change that dynamic.

With reagents removed from vendors, a meaningful and interesting player market in reagents would develop. The current market exists, but is pitiful because reagents are always available on NPC vendors. Those markets would be supplied form people killing mobs, doing tasks, and gathering. This would add meaning to the world because some areas would be more valuable than others due to their reagent potential. Mob spots, gathering, tasks, and city nodes would all have more value.

This would be a good idea for the same reason removing portal shards from the NPCs was a good idea. It shifts agency to the players, which is usually good in a sandbox game. It also makes better use of the awesome market system we have.

Probably people will jump to scream "INFLATION!" at this argument, but don't be fooled. Inflation is a monetary phenomenon. In the real world, US dollar inflation is controlled by the federal reserve. In Agon, inflation is controlled by BPG. They have complete control to moderate faucets in response to the removal of such a massive sink.

This would be my ideal change, but I proposed the thread title because I see it as more realistic. People don't trust player markets in a sandbox game for whatever reason. My concerns about inventory management reducing interactions could still be solved by a restock button, gear bags, etc.

#18 nightblighter, Dec 8, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2018
  19. Scrapnotcrap

Scrapnotcrap Eodrin
    Hero

If regs can be craftabe, then we certainly dont need to remove any items.

20. koruun

koruun Gravelord

This argument conflates player-driven content with game design. Regardless, removing classic RPG elements such as ingredients as a necessity for magical spells would not add depth; similarly, such "QoL" changes would accumulate to be more game-changing than they would appear individually. I'm fine with vendors no longer selling reagents, and instead being solely from mobs or somehow craftable as @Scrapnotcrap says.