Welcome to the Rise of Agon Community

Create an account today to engage in discussions and community events on the Rise of Agon forums.

These Forums in a Nutshell

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DarkGhost25, Jul 8, 2017.

1. DarkGhost25

DarkGhost25 Black Knight
    Loyal Contributor Hero

Person A: "Here is my problem with the game."
    Person B: "Your problem is wrong."

All you guys are doing is scaring people off and taking away their chance to share their frustration and hope a positive change can occur. It's not productive. Be respectful to the problems of others.

Synik, Wes Furtive, Circa and 5 others like this.
  2. yogrrt

yogrrt Deadeye
    Hero

Honestly, the longer ive been around this game and forum, the more Iv'e come to realize peoples problems actually are wrong in a lot of cases. Experience and knowledge are hugely important in this game, and a lot of people voicing their problems don't have the knowledge and experience of the seemingly toxic posters. I think those posters are much more toxic about disagreements than they need to be. You can explain to someone why their ideas are flawed without calling them a retard in the process.

I think a real problem is just how opposed people are to anything that changes the meta of the game. The majority of people posting here want to keep playing the game that they spent years of their lives perfecting. People pretend like they care about bringing in new players, but in reality most these people want to keep playing the game they are good at since 2009 IMO, success of the game being an afterthought.

DarkGhost25 and Kwatos like this.
  3. Nat

Nat Shadow Knight
    Legend

To be fair there are some stupid people here with some stupid problems.

4. MikeJT

MikeJT Black Knight
    Supporter

I agree that many people fail to engage in any sort of meaningful debate.

Hell in my thread about death from fall damage and damage cap, the people who actually made the effort to comment and bring useful ideas to the thread convinced me that simply disabling jumping if you receive more than enough damage to kill you would be a better idea than death from fall damage.

No, sorry. This is a cop out. There's tonne of players with years of DFO experience who still don't think the game is perfect.

This whole "oh if you just played the game more, you wouldn't see these 'problems' as problems" argument is just an easy way for long term players to discount and discredit any criticism of the game.

Many of the criticisms are perfectly valid (lack of viable build diversity being one), yet someone's who's already gone to the trouble of maxing out the most powerful build doesn't want to see their advantage stripped away.

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
    Mea Kulpa and Kwatos like this.
  5. yogrrt

yogrrt Deadeye
    Hero

It really depends on what the problem is we are talking about. I think when it comes to knowing how a change would affect the game as it currently stands, these much more experienced players thoughts are worth more consideration.

When it comes to stuff like build diversity, safe zones, etc, these are things that don't have a right and wrong answer. Obviously the more popular opinion here on many topics is; we want the darkfall we learned to play in 2009.

6. donutkebab

donutkebab Goblin Warrior

It is actually pretty sad to see old vets still ignoring the bigger picture or the whole picture of DF, where EVERY SINGLE part of the game is actually important and some changes from BPG are actually even worse than it was in the past. The number of people quitting after 2 months speaks for itself, you can ignore it, suggar coat, cherry pick or whatever, this is also just my opinion.

Not your 1-2 problems are the reason for it, it is the whole system which pretty much is disturbed by some of the parts being ignored by the devs.

Bad PvE spots make holdings worth less, therefore less sieges and wars, therefore less active and "fast" economy (wars fuel the economy big times as we know), world "feels" dead because of the instant travel system and few hot spots and this gives some people a feeling of "game dead"...it is not dead, but it can feel if you dont extend your own horizon!

But well, everyone is the most important factor anyways, especially the ones with their huge huge egos like in this community ;)

edit:
    this are actually just small examples on how important 1 aspect is (pve spots and travel), the whole system is big and some people still don't agree or accept this.
    constructive criticism is so damn important but whine and "i quit cuz geam ded and bad" are exactly the opposite, they just tend to make people to think about it and some agree and quit after being burned out after 2 months....

7. MikeJT

MikeJT Black Knight
    Supporter

Seen my signature? LOL

donutkebab likes this.
  8. l0st exile

l0st exile Crypt Guard

I use to post suggestions and defend my point of view, but then.. I realized that BPG doesn't plan to hire anyone else and we're stuck with kilrain/deste. Putting their characters(condescending and hardheaded) aside, they simply lack the talent to fix this game in a timely fashion. so, I would recommend playing the game until it dies again. don't worry about changing or complaining, its simply moot at this point.

need to I ask them how they lack the funds to hire another part time dev? (over 5k subs at $10 ea, many of us legends and I personally have over 1 year in game time) not too mention, god only knows how many sub tokens they sold(no transparency in this department, I wonder why?? yet they'll tell us how many strawberries are in the economy..).

mybsurchin, Fengor and Nat like this.
  9. donutkebab

donutkebab Goblin Warrior

Well, yeah and no. I went and looked through the feedback threads and things which should come or are planned, so yeah, making own suggestions are mostly already there because most people think of the same things. Unless it is a well rounded and innovative idea obviously...

About the hire someone or not, I think it is kinda like AV did it back then and if you read through their problems with the DF1 code, it was pretty clear that there were "too many cooks" and this hinders the progress.

Still, I am sure even in the community here there are some talented people who would like to help debug smaller system packages one after another (where its possible obviously)...

I am still pretty confused why this game has been released, missing so many changes on the core flaws. The game leads and ends for most people like back in the day, but with less grind, faster progress overall and this ends just in...yeah, less territorial warfare and stale politics because uh, why would you invest hours and hours into a siege for a holding you barely "need" anyways.....portals everywhere, no racial wars, global bank + alt accounts everywhere...yada yada.

really hope some patches and changes come, we need something to attract new people AND KEEPING THEM

10. Biceps

Biceps Infernal
    Legend

your thread is wrong !

DarkGhost25 and mybsurchin like this.
  11. Aristos Giannes

Aristos Giannes Cairn Giant
    Hero

Both of them have their share of great ideas and bad ones, but what exactly makes you think they lack ability? Considering the scope of the game I think both of them have accomplished an impressive amount of work. I 100% agree i'd like to see another full time dev join the team though, preferably another one with experience playing UO or other old school MMOs.

DarkGhost25 likes this.
  12. mybsurchin

mybsurchin Celestial

i bet kilrain is shunting their attempts to acquire another dev lol
    --- Post updated ---
    The problem is not his ability to write code. It's that he thinks he understands game design and condescends to everyone who makes criticism.

13. NonFactor

NonFactor Forest Golem
    Wealthy Affluent Legend

#removeforums

DarkGhost25 likes this.
  14. Mycke

Mycke Obsidian Golem

I agree others should handle design, its just not his forte and I still get dizzy trying to figure out how he decided making >-200 red was an improvement to the orange when the argument was its confusing, if anything it was one of the few ways to make it more confusing while solving nothing.

At first I thought he was trolling, though now I just think system design should be overseen by those who have a knack for it and let others just do what they do well. They need a head designer so there is a master plan tying things together and they need a QA or something because there is no reason the alignment snafu should of ever happened.

The current system might actually be worse than nothing, frustrating more people than it protects all to allow people to go a little red and still use npc cities, which is another confusing bandaid all due to the system being poorly designed and thought out. They need to go back from scratch and recreate an alignment system based on its expected effects and then clean and simple design, unlike this ridiculous Rube Goldberg alignments system that was made complicated to create the illusion of thoughtful design.

l0st exile and Mea Kulpa like this.
  15. MikeJT

MikeJT Black Knight
    Supporter

There's something that's referred to the "minimum viable product" - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minimum_viable_product

Darkfall met the requirements for MVP in 2009 - it was something people were willing to pay money for. LOTS of people.

To hold onto a game until its fully 'perfect' is just insane.

Not only that, but a lot of vets were coming back expecting the same experience they got in DFO. If they came back to a game that was radically changed, there's a good chance the vet community, which basically guarantees them an income every month, would get scared off and not come back.

They would all be sitting in a corner, curled up in the fetal position, rocking back and forth crying "My poor poor Darkfall! What did they do to you Darkfall? Tell me where the bad man touched you!", myself included.

I think every long term Darkfall player has had that horrible nightmare when they log in after a major patch, and it's turned into a Tab Target, Class Based, fake real-time, Themepark MMO. Oh, that's just me? Ummm, embarassing.

Darkfall needs changes, yes, but rapid, major changes are dangerous. Baby steps @donutkebab , baby steps.

16. clandestino2a

clandestino2a Skeleton Archer

this forum have the most toxic community i've ever seen. i'm personnaly done trying to give feedback about anything as anyway when i see devs making stupid decision like changing orange to red and still allow them to enter npc city making things a lot more confusing, i really wonder about their ability to make a sucessfull game. i like darkfall but after all its not like there won't be any alternative if roa fail.

DarkGhost25 likes this.
  17. Dixie Normus

Dixie Normus Black Knight
    Legend

Really can't read through another of these so I'll just say ; unfortunately due to the certain part of the community who lurk these forums 24/7 (myself included), new players really can't use general discussion as a place to vent their frustrations and grievances.

Maybe we should make a completely separate subtopic for complaints or venting.

18. TryHard

TryHard Varangian Warthane
    Legend

I dont get it. So people who want to complain can freely post their opinion but people who disagree cannot post their opinion?

This is the shittiest bait thread ive ever seen, but heres your 1 bite from me.

19. RootedOak

RootedOak Oak Lord
    Legend

No, any of us that know the meta game would easily adapt to a change. It's that certain kinds of changes could ruin the spirit of the game or adversely effect too many aspects of the game unintentionally due to most hairbrained ideas coming from people with little experience with it.

20. yogrrt

yogrrt Deadeye
    Hero

Okay, thats a pretty fair statement.