Welcome to the Rise of Agon Community

Create an account today to engage in discussions and community events on the Rise of Agon forums.

Things RoA could learn from DND

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Uzik, Feb 23, 2018.

1. The Red King

The Red King Obsidian Golem
    Loyal Legend

Lol I know what load lag is and it’s 100 percent in Dnd, the Other issue the bug where you constantly freeze every few seconds RoA has it and dnd has it.

Fengor likes this.
  2. Buffalo Spaceman

Buffalo Spaceman Frostjarl
    Hero

The only reason DnD alignment means anything is because of their shit implementation of markets/local banking.

Fengor likes this.
  3. Andrew

Andrew Eodrin
    Staff Member BPG Representative

I personally always enjoy your discussions Uzik they are usually rooted in good logic and intentions, fairly unbiased as well.

1) We agree that diversity is the spice of gaming, our goal is to create a considerable amount of viable choices. Perks was an early term for the system but as Kilrain alluded our design refinement of the idea has changed the feature to be more akin to a PoE-esque style of tech tree with 3 major skill trees and 3 hybrid skill trees. Typing late with one hand(Holding my youngest who won't sleep heh...) so I won't go into it too much right now, in short it's going to truly add a ton of diversity and real choice.

2) We've added a lot of blue incentive and are going to continue down this path. Removing the newbie griefing that came along with the original AV implementation of Race Wars that DnD is currently using we feel was a good move for the game long-term. It is a good feature in the early game perhaps but after the initial rush is done it's really a griefer's paradise kind of system without changes. Our opt-in factions will bring a well balanced faction system with objectives, rewards and leaderboards to the game. They are farther down the pipeline though, will likely be late in the year for them to go in, depending on a few factors.

3) Local banking everywhere is a bit punishing for casual players, our target market and while we will be adding in dynamic building and localised structures/containers we will still keep global/regional elements as well.

4) Performance is definitely something to improve, the hitches could be solved relatively easily just by splitting up the rendering and client interface to two processes however it is an improvement that would take some concerted effort and take away from our content additions timeline that we've already pushed back. At this time the value to these kinds of systems would not be enough we feel over key content pieces. It is something that will be coming in the future following our key content pieces.

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
    Uzik, NonFactor, Sique and 3 others like this.
  4. Fengor

Fengor Eodrin

Haha dad boy dad boy

Oresmacker and TyteDaddyTite like this.
  5. The Red King

Loyal Legend

Having to relog every X amount of portal usage is game breaking. It needs to get fixed one of these days. Imagine losing a tier 6 gear bag cause you loaded in to a vcp and you lag every 4 seconds and you died. How would that make you feel as a paying customer?

Johhny Mad Dog likes this.
  6. TyteDaddyTite

TyteDaddyTite Obsidian Golem
    Legend

Not really confusing, just be careful with the trees. I'm fine with more diversity, remember though, Darkfall isn't PoE mob killing, trees tend to make OP builds, I don't want to see BPG get caught in a never ending balance development cycle like UW did.

7. RootedOak

RootedOak Oak Lord
    Legend

In Dungeons and Dragons, Cantrips are just spells like Lesser Magic that everyone can have, but they have no cooldown, no mana cost, and no reagent cost.

8. Inositol

Inositol Obsidian Golem
    Supporter

1. Windows 7
    2. Uninstall your graphics driver and GFX
    3. http://us.download.nvidia.com/Windows/384.94/384.94-desktop-win8-win7-64bit-international-whql.exe
    4. http://us.download.nvidia.com/GFE/GFEClient/3.1.0.52/GeForce_Experience_v3.1.0.52.exe

Should be gucci. I get a bit of lag after a client being open for 4+ hours, but it's an easy fix via changing the shader model to another and switching back.

If you're attached to Windows 10, then best of luck lol. Nvidia + Win10 is a hard no, even if Win10 weren't a hard no by itself...

Fengor likes this.
  9. The Red King

Loyal Legend

Ya I have windows 10 and I think my problem is multiplied since I play with everything maxed but scenery shadows in 1440p. I’m sure if I dropped it to 1080 and took off shadows I probably wouldn’t have such a problem I just refuse to play like that lol

10. Inositol

Inositol Obsidian Golem
    Supporter

Nah, you can play with any settings, it's a windows / nvidia issue. I've put 6+ hour sessions into both max and min settings, the only issue is a slight memory leak that fixes itself with a shader swap.

Sique likes this.
  11. Brando Pando

Brando Pando Crypt Guard
    Patron

Rock paper scissors
    specialization should not boil down to rock paper scissors. One of the interesting things about this game is that each player has their own style and abillity to succeed in any encounter. When pvp revolves around what spec you are in relation to the enemy, most encounters are pre determined from the get go. You can encourage different playstyles without forcing everyone into cookie cutter roles.

Johhny Mad Dog and Grimtide like this.
  12. davick

davick Goblin Warlord

Ya, rock vs rock is soooo much better. I mean the combat in original df was so good people are still playing today, oh wait...

Uzik likes this.
  13. Grimtide

Grimtide Evil Eye
    Legend

Diversification can happen and is better balanced by specializations, not limiting players. Classes and pseudo classes like ND are ass.

People have unique lifestyles as it is right now, I can tell who players are just by how they play on a new chat with a new name.

Fengor likes this.
  14. Uzik

Uzik Wildtribe Mage
    Affluent Legend

I said leaning towards rock, paper, scissors. Obviously we don't want WoW classes, but you need to have serious pros and cons coming along with playstyles. The constant portrayal by DF vets of the combat system as being perfect does not help the game. If DF1 had perfect combat it wouldn't have died.

You need to realize that probably only about 5-10% of the total DF population loved the original combat system enough to stick with the game, and then when you consider the broader MMO playerbase that % becomes infinitesimal.

15. l0st exile

l0st exile Crypt Guard

I've always been an advocate of the DFO classless system, but after playing New Dawn it is SO much more enjoyable to win out numbered. Nothing fun about every kid in RoA spamming wof, come hither, disable, thunderstorm, eye rot & magma. I'm not going to go into detail because most people on these forums just blindly and ignorantly bash the other project without fully experiencing it. as a Darkfall fan, I am fairly confident when I say ND is going to do just fine.

ND 100% has load lag, just to clear that up. but the performance is hands down 300% better. I've been in 100 man fights where every mage is throwing surging spells off cooldown and my FPS remains the same. I've recently logged onto RoA, go to a siege that's 30v30 and I have 30-60 fps. a very good test is fighting at Harjik, for whatever reason its shit FPS on RoA and no impact on ND.

That being said, most of our clan won't play RoA again unless it gets a population boost. Hopefully that will come with a steam release, meta change and free to play.

Fengor and The Red King like this.
  16. Grisvok

Grisvok Skeleton Archer

I mean Andrew said they were thinking something like PoE which is great to hear. That is flat out the best skill tree design I’ve ever seen. Would make this game incredible if done right

17. Grimtide

Grimtide Evil Eye
    Legend

Might be a good thing if the best players stopped playing for a while.

18. Grimtide

Grimtide Evil Eye
    Legend

Sigh

Fengor likes this.
  19. Brando Pando

Brando Pando Crypt Guard
    Patron

Paper rock scissors is not what they need to lean towards. You can have specialization and diversity without this element. Every player should have a fair chance against any other player, without having to worry about losing a gear bag because the person you ran into just happened to be your counter.

Also yes DFO died, this was for many reasons not because of the combat. Online games die, Halo 3 has no population, it doesn’t mean the gameplay is bad, its just old. Population isin’t a good argument when deciding what is good/bad game design.

Chantree and onslaught like this.
  20. Uzik

Uzik Wildtribe Mage
    Affluent Legend

UO still has a population after so many years for a reason.

Arguing that game population is not a good argument regarding game design is just a stupid comment.