Welcome to the Rise of Agon Community

Create an account today to engage in discussions and community events on the Rise of Agon forums.

Thoughts on race wars

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by kilrain, May 18, 2019 at 2:05 AM.

1. kilrain

kilrain Shadow Knight
    Staff Member Developer Team Lead

Currently we're working on the first phase of TCS and the components it requires. We already know what is going to happen with TCS, even if some minor aspects change, the overall goal remains the same. The pieces required to finish up the expansion, of which TCS is one of them, are planned out and will be implemented in order as needed until it's all complete. However, that doesn't mean we should stop talking about the future. What we talk about today will be developed tomorrow (so to speak), so rather than waiting until development is at a standstill before having discussions we should be having them now so when the time comes we know what the plan is.

Back on topic: this has been brought up a lot since we launched and it has come up again recently. When we removed race wars we did it for one primary reason, to limit the amount of unwanted pvp new players would receive and namely griefing because of it. Some of us had plans to replace it with an opt-in faction warfare system where players could choose to be a part of it or not. There was some disagreements about it so it was never really made a priority.

I think it's worth discussing and see where people stand on it. I want to be clear that I don't think just turning back on gray name for opposing races and calling it a day will suffice. I think there needs to be more to it to make it a more complete system.

Some people have suggested to do what other games have done and if you mix races in your clan or alliance then you are a rogue "faction" by default and gray to everyone. This particular setup had the entire world set as lawful to encourage racial pvp everywhere and not just on the mainland.

This is just a discussion to gauge interest and see what kind of ideas people can come up with to make it interesting. The original was not interesting and was pretty much ignored a few months after launch, so if we're going to do it we want it to be fun.

KingLlama and Billy Lee like this.
  2. Nat

Nat Shadow Knight
    Legend

I prefer it remain gone. It caused more problems than it solved and that goes for alignment too. Clans are the main driving force behind conflict in the game and that should be looked at first.

rats, Slayven, Inkarnation and 6 others like this.
  3. kilrain

kilrain Shadow Knight
    Staff Member Developer Team Lead

Yep. Everything we're actively working on right now is designed for clan and alliance which is why I'm discussing this now.

4. Havyk

Havyk Goblin Scout
    Opulent Legend

I think bringing race wars back the right way (not entirely sure what that is) would be a great idea. Maybe can implement a voip system where only players of the Same race can talk, kind of like your speaking your own language when no one else in the area can hear

Methodico likes this.
  5. Darthlizard

Darthlizard Goblin Shaman
    Hero

Just a different take on something that is similar to racial wars:

Add an NPC or something to each of the three mainland chaos cities. Interact with this NPC, or billboard or whatever, to join the faction (Hintenfau Hillbillies, Ottenfau Overlords, or Espenhal e-Girls). Have a "domination" event every so often, like once a week, or every other day during prime time.

The goal of the event would be to capture the opposing two cities via the already implemented village capture system. You cannot capture opposing cities if another team is occupying your own city.

The biggest flaw in this idea is unbalanced teams. This would be no fun for the losing sides. Balancing the chaos-city-teams would be the most difficult, as well as the most important piece of this metaphorical cake. Note: the larger the population of players that participate, the easier the teams would be to balance.

Two ideas I have to combat unfair teams are:
    1. Make the teams random. Go to any chaos city to sign up for a random team. You can change team after each event.
    2. Make the rewards for the winning team be based on the number of players on the winning team compared to the number of players on the opposing teams. This would make it so that the smallest team would reap the largest reward.

Again, this is just a rough idea. Something like this, if implemented correctly, could provide a brand new experience with potentially large rewards that would require teamwork from people you may not know, or even mortal enemies.

Whatcha think? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
  6. WithoutShame

WithoutShame Infernal
    Supporter

This is the problem with "race wars". That's all "race wars" turned out to be in every instance of darkfall, just a way to grief new players.

I'm sure there is a way to develop "race wars" that is fun, balanced, and doesn't degenerate into what it was always before. But how much time would that take to design and develop? My guess is, that after 10 years no one has proposed a fully fleshed out "race wars" that would work, I'm going to go ahead and guess it would take way longer to design and develop then it would be worth.

I think the next thing that should be targeted after TCS features are implemented is a seasonal server system. Have an idea for race wars that you think would be fun and work out? Put it on a server with a 1 month time limit, and see how it plays out. A seasonal server system would be great way to experiment with new features and ideas without compromising the core darkfall experience on the main server.

Fawley, Blaze and Darthlizard like this.
  7. DeadlyHit

DeadlyHit Chosen of Khamset
    Legend

game died when race wars was removed, literally 0 point being best ork darkfall had ever seen

8. Kantor

Kantor Black Knight
    Prosperous Contributor Legend

I want race war back, but I like being able to go to any city as any race. There just something awesome about seeing a bunch of dorf charging into battle. I think it does create a lot of content for people who like to role play.
    Noobs are gonna die no matter what. Anything worth farming is either camped with an alt or roamed.

Blaze likes this.
  9. The Red King

The Red King Black Knight
    Loyal Legend

I love the opt in faction race wars personally. Another possibility would be to add regular race wars and make it so they cant get ganked in lawful areas. Teaches people to just fight and have fun. Or maybe just drop inventory loot.

rats likes this.
  10. Oresmacker

Oresmacker Obsidian Golem
    Supporter

Only thing that I think stops a lot of clans from going one race is Slayer enchants. In my opinion you are at a disadvantage most of the time if you want your whole clan to be one race.

Remove race slayers?

11. Auron

Auron Infernal
    Hero

I want race war back but whit more guard towers in safe zone for protect new players...

12. MikerotchBAGFACE

MikerotchBAGFACE Chosen of Khamset

I want a bounty system that lets you kill red players and turn in their head as a quest.

13. Leopold Stotch

Leopold Stotch Dire Zombie
    Wealthy Loyal Hero

I like the idea. I like the idea of players being able to post bounties on particular players, but kids would just make unclanned alts and kill themselves for free gold.

The quest idea is decent if it’s not repeatable, or again kids will make alts red and repeat constantly if it’s worth it.

Freemium is good, but it has its drawbacks

14. Sorrow Avaritia

Sorrow Avaritia Obsidian Golem
    Hero

It could be nice if one of the middle map chaos cities was turned into a holding that races could fight over (although this would probably be to hard to do). Every week each race could fight over it, and the winning race could get access to it, they could bind to it, it could have a mine, grove, farm, quarry and towers.

Methodico likes this.
  15. Auron

Auron Infernal
    Hero

Racial war whit more towers for protect new players ...add bilboard in the chos city and the blackmarket only for red players...

16. VoQeles

VoQeles New Member

I think both directions are okay, Race Wars is probably the more difficult to accomplish. When looking at the game from point of view of races being "friendly" by default then you're putting emphasis on player made factions (ie Clans, Alliances) while when looking at Race Wars you are defining that there are X factions that will be at "war" by default which forces Clans, Alliances to adhere to a more controlled environment.

As it is right now, RoA politics is completely player driven, if you were to implement race wars this would have to be propped up by a lot of systems. For one, the economy cannot be divided right now because it is not healthy enough, if one faction has no representation in economy (for example Ork, Mahirim having a crap market economy.. Cough...) then that faction will become dead because the clans that are in that faction will struggle more by default and most likely will not be able to compete with other factions that have healthy market eco. What do you do then?

The problem with Race Wars is that you have a lot of systems either in the game or that would need to be implemented and interact with each other, somewhere in the process you will find contradictions that need to be addressed and redesigned and that can go down a long rabbit hole. I don't think it's practical right now because there is a LOT of things that need to be done to improve the game before you can start breaking yourselves trying to make Race Wars work.

17. Chantree

Chantree Dire Zombie
    Wealthy Legend

Race wars are bad for groups of new players that want to play different races. Please just go with opt in factions.

Mea Kulpa, Fengor and The Red King like this.
  18. The Red King

The Red King Black Knight
    Loyal Legend

Add in blue players keep their gear and possibly only lose their loot in lawful lands first. You need to do something different. You must get players to love this game first before getting ganked every second.

I prefer opt in faction - would be sick - But I would like it like UO where you are not safe anywhere, not even cities.

rats likes this.
  19. Yomi Scythetalon

Contributor Legend Streamer

Race wars back please i shouldnt be expected to play with anything but ork or wolves. With tbat said.....there should be ONE main neutral capital city where all races can meet without killing each other. Maybe put a statue of every race near its entrance ;)
    --- Post updated ---
    I literally burn all mahairim slayers i loot lol

#19 Yomi Scythetalon, May 18, 2019 at 2:47 PM
    Last edited: May 19, 2019 at 2:39 AM
    Thrill Kill and Oresmacker like this.
  20. aparks

aparks Obsidian Golem
    Legend

I believe old system but all races are at war with each other like alfar race was at war with everyone. Also make it so your races can take over npc cities in territory racial wars. But not capital cities. This would show what race is winning the war. Also make mixed raced clans red to everyone if ya want.