Welcome to the Rise of Agon Community

Create an account today to engage in discussions and community events on the Rise of Agon forums.

Thoughts on race wars

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by kilrain, May 18, 2019.

1. Auron

Auron Chosen of Khamset
    Hero

Make possible conquest racial npc by other faction in war....(exept capital and starter)

2. Lord Zanuul

Lord Zanuul Spellgazer
    Legend

I really love the idea of race Wars I felt it was very critical to the development of new player verse new player PVP for all the people that think that this was an Avenue of grief there were many other avenues of grief that were far more Insidious but this gave people an option the PVP on similar levels and created a foundation and a camaraderie of races and lore it's a very large element that is missing from the game I would also like to see the ability to change your race Allegiance through some type of mechanic within the game when did that pin request line or some other system but it should be something arduous so that way if you're going to spend the time to do it it's going to mean something

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
    PENETRATOR likes this.
  3. KingLlama

KingLlama Infernal
    Supporter Lifetime

What about races wars with the ability to opt into them?

4. NonFactor

NonFactor Forest Golem
    Wealthy Affluent Legend

how to avoid ultra zergs/nutcups on tcs?

5. Andrew

Andrew Eodrin
    Staff Member BPG Representative

My opinion is that a racial focused system limits player choice and adding an ability to change racial factions as @Lord Zanuul suggests would overly complicate it as well. Player choice and freedom to play how you want is a pillar of the game's atmosphere. For that reason I've been a fan of an opt-in faction system of 3 different sides supported by lore elements and perhaps some kind of Deity for each faction.

This would be something we could encourage new players to get involved with by offering leveling bonuses, faction tasks, etc. It would serve as a good entry to PvP and be a source of group PvP for solo/small groups of players.

We're all for ideas though on this, we've batted this back and forth for years internally...

rats, Inkarnation, Chantree and 2 others like this.
  6. Kappa

Kappa Goblin Scout

Racial wars are a flat out waste of time and not something you should be spending time on. People play Darkfall to have the freedom to do whatever they want not to be pigeonholed into a certain race or faction.

Get a battlegrounds/arena in the game asap and that will be more than enough to keep people occupied.

rats and Chantree like this.
  7. BeatIt

BeatIt Eodrin
    Loyal Legend

if u have a clan whit all wolf/orc u made a racial clan and u should get buff/bonus

8. Battle Smurf

Battle Smurf Oak Lord
    Legend

I'm pretty sure I have already made my desire to see STRICT Race Wars implemented into RoA and painstakingly detailed the various reasons and benefits of having them, assuming they are implemented correctly and strictly.

None of that optional bypassing of them shit where the only penalty for a mixed guild is being grey and lawfully attackable anywhere.

Clans that adhere to single race policy should get substantial combat buffs, further expanded if they own a city and grind out mats to sacrifice to their Races God at their church on a daily/weekly basis.

Clans that race mix should get actual combat PENALTIES for doing do and be KoS anywhere by everyone and unwelcome in Racial NPC cities. That's if you even allow Racial Clan Mixing at all which I DON'T think you should because that would interfere with potential future race war expanded mechanics like WarFronts on mainland between racial zones.

There are a lot more suggestions I have made advocating for Race Wars over the last 3 years and reasons why OPTIONAL factions don't fix all the same problems or provide all the same benefits... Hopefully someone at BPG read them because I'm not about to waste time writing them eloquently AGAIN

9. Cista Ashbow

Cista Ashbow Goblin Scout

In EVE they made it so the bounty comes from items that are destroyed when the character is killed. It so to speak comes out of the pockets of the wanted player, but only a portion of the money, so he will never try and kill himself.

Unfortunately, there is no real destruction of items when a player is killed in DarkFall, but that could be a future idea too.

Battle Smurf likes this.
  10. Rimamok

Rimamok Spellgazer
    Legend

There are obviously varying opinions on this, as different gamers want different things. But if you want a WIDER player base, you will add an opt-in race war subset of the game. Removal of race wars is 50% of the reason I quit ROA.

PENETRATOR and Zuul Ghat like this.
  11. Inkarnation

Inkarnation Frostjarl
    Legend

Yeah dude hard race wars worked out so great in dnd lets make them EVEN WORSE! Oh wait you didnt play that game either.. you wouldnt know..

rats likes this.
  12. Slayven

Slayven Eodrin
    Legend

Faction wars ok..
    Race wars kinda voided point at this stage in game.

rats likes this.
  13. Bound

Bound Project Manager
    Staff Member

Race wars were cool for like the first month of EU by the time everyone clanned up and ended up on some island somewhere they had no meaning. It really only turned into a greifing tool for new players or bind stone camping people. I prefer opt in factions.

Inkarnation, rats, Fengor and 3 others like this.
  14. Smile

Smile Dire Zombie

Yeah, and this first month was one of the best ever in any game created since. People abandoned race wars when they understood that there are no reasons to stay blue. Faulty implementation to blame. I guess you need good project manager with a vision and some solid understanding of basic alignment mechanics to make race wars a thing. DND was on a good path. They removed lawless areas, made ARAC clans perma rogue. Additional penalties for reds were in the works (penalty on death). It started to feel good. Like a solid background story. Added meaning. Lore. And Darkfall is in dire need of all these things. RoA does not even feel like rpg any more.

Race wars as a concept do not need localization at all. So it would work good with RoA.

#34 Smile, May 20, 2019
    Last edited: May 20, 2019
    PENETRATOR likes this.
  15. Slayven

Slayven Eodrin
    Legend

Does nothing now but push clans into most likely a direction they don’t want to go.

Just make some factions..
    Race wars I see no point.

16. NonFactor

NonFactor Forest Golem
    Wealthy Affluent Legend

i think the beauty and the tragedy of darkfall is be based on guilds. for several reasons: leader dependency, zerg formations / nutcups etc etc

the UO system (factions and aligment sides) made the game succeful. At some point on alpha i posted here asking for some kind of system that avoid the necessity of clans. but currently i think is impossible run the game in a completly different way that it is today.

17. Smile

Smile Dire Zombie

"Does nothing"? I just explained what it would add. Can you explain your claim about race wars pushing people into direction they don't want to go?

You mean people want no consequences of their actions?
    You find KOS approach as more meaningful?

With Race Wars implemented you can still play as ARAC clan. Nothing will change in regards of playing with whom you want. But there will be consequences, there will be game world context - clear and strongly based in mmorpg setting (easy to understand for new players).

@NonFactor race wars would also give you exactly that - possibility to play outside of a clan context if you wanted.

PENETRATOR likes this.
  18. NonFactor

NonFactor Forest Golem
    Wealthy Affluent Legend

ik that but as i said. at this point i cant see how it can work without remove guilds entirely. trying to be exclusively
    pragmatic here.

Slayven likes this.
  19. Slayven

Slayven Eodrin
    Legend

I just don’t think it would bring in a whole lot of bang for the buck because everyone is settled into their clan now..
    It’s been that direction since I can remember the talks of roa..
    Clan warfare stay the path and do factions it’s essentially the same thing.
    --- Post updated ---
    This..
    The direction was set a very long time ago. And factions would do the same thing.

NonFactor likes this.
  20. Rimamok

Rimamok Spellgazer
    Legend

Non-RPGer telling a RPGer how they should think? If I’m into Orc , I don’t want to be grouped with a pack of stunties against my will.

No offense to the disgusting stunties intended.

Bug Eater, Zuul Ghat and Battle Smurf like this.