Welcome to the Rise of Agon Community

Create an account today to engage in discussions and community events on the Rise of Agon forums.

Tips from a DFO Veteran

Discussion in 'New Player Tips & Tricks' started by MikeJT, May 17, 2017.

1. MikeJT

MikeJT Black Knight
    Supporter

Hi there,

This is mainly for new players out there who haven't really played the game before the release of Darkfall Rise of Agon.

A common trap I see people falling into in Darkfall (both new and old) is constantly farming low level mobs.

Personally, what I believe you should be doing is farming the hardest possible mobs you can take on safely, in the best possible gear you can acquire.

I know a lot of people think that this is counter intuitive - you don't want to lose good gear right?

Well think about what you're really doing for a second.

If you're farming mobs much weaker than you can generally handle, then you're actually hurting your earnings potential from farming. Farming low level mobs with low ranked weapons will almost always be less profitable than farming higher leveled mobs with higher ranked weapons.

You'll get the same skill gains from higher end mobs, face the same difficulty as lower level mobs fought in low level gear, but get much greater earnings from farming them.

If you're finding yourself waiting around for mobs to spawn - ie you've skinned everything, taken everything of value, fully healed back and have nothing to do - then it's time to move on from that spawn. You've outgrown it.

You should be seeking progressively harder mobs to farm. Even though, yes, these mobs might be in riskier areas to farm, generally the extra gold you will earn farming these mobs will more than pay for the occasional lost set of gear from a red. If you do find a particular spawn getting repeatedly hit by red's well above your level, then it's time to move on for a little while and find another spawn.

When have you gone too far?

If you find yourself completely beaten up and vulnerable at a spawn and can't even finish healing before the next lot spawns on top of you, then you've gone too far - you need to roll it back a bit and find a slightly easier mob to farm.

Constantly struggling to stay alive whilst trying to farm mobs is probably worse than waiting around for mobs to spawn. It leaves your vulnerable to attack from other players

You want something in between - you don't want mobs to be too challenging, and you don't mobs to be too easy.

Think about how difficult you found the first goblin spawn you ever faced was when you were an hour old. You want something about on par with that for every spawn you face, possibly something slightly harder than that, seeing as the more you play the more you understand mechanics and the easier games should become.

If you've been playing since launch and you're still sitting at the goblin spawns, you're wasting your time. Get out there.

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
  2. zyafen

zyafen Goblin Warrior
    Hero

i feel like you just want me out there farming hard mobs in my best gear so you can show up and take advantage of my low health during my farming.

Stoned, Bartlebe and MikeJT like this.
  3. Sisco

Sisco Goblin Warrior

[​IMG]

But seriously though, he's right.

Rosco, MikeJT and zyafen like this.
  4. merkmerk73

merkmerk73 Earth Elemental

^

HAHAHAH perfect gif

It's really hard to find good mobs to farm though, ignoring the frequency of getting bitchganked while you're fighting or low

-you have to think about weapon/magic resistances. hobgoblins seem to take no damage from my archery (r30 bow and I have sharpshooter I should be hitting for more than 8 when I'm sporting scale, I was hitting bears for the 19-20s). I use 2h greatclubs and it's hard to know what is vulnerable against that aside from the obvious skeletons but those are kinda newbie spawns

-you have to consider what they drop. I went and got owned by some troll lords, so hit up some matayans instead and they were pretty easy for me to farm - except their drops suck ass. I don't care about water essence and fish. No gold, nothing immediately valuable from enchanting - pass.

And let's face it the PVE element in darkfall was never very good. You could call it 'functional' and that would be the best compliment you can give.

Lots of mobs are just too hard to even be worth it, for what they drop, too.

ps. Also you're an idiot if you think I'm gonna go farm in some r50 gear you fucking baitey mcbaitface

5. MikeJT

MikeJT Black Knight
    Supporter

Ha ha I'm serious guys.

If you're going to have good gear just sitting in a bank, why bother buying it?

Why farm goblins in cloth with R0's when you could be farming Hobgoblins in scale with R40's.

Really it's up to the individual, but frankly the person who risks better gear to farm higher end mobs is going to be WAAAAAY ahead of you wealth wise in only a few weeks of play, even if they do lose the occasional set from getting ganked.

You do you.

Rosco and Zuul Ghat like this.
  6. SEOINAGE

SEOINAGE Goblin Warrior

Have hit some harder spawns, but also some I have needed a partner on. But then I still have so many noob title quests to do, where it is better for me to do them now than later. I would think 200 of this 200 of that and 20 of this should be reduced to 50 of each though.... Endlessly grinding noob mobs. A lot of them spawn so fast, yes I can keep up with heals and kills, but no way I can loot and skin them all, nor keep track of corpses. Couple features that might be nice, if a mob corpse has been opened, and some items have been left, it will despawn in 30 seconds rather than the many minutes it takes, so we don't have to loot all to keep it tidy. Going to make a suggestion.

I generally agree with this, and grouping up to take higher mobs can be much more profitable.

MikeJT and Killa162 like this.
  7. Killa162

Killa162 Crypt Guard

I agree with Seoinage, there's 3 tiers of title quests that give stats, gold, and some items that can be used right away. and some of the title quests have you kill OK stuff, and others "like the goblin title" are complete joke and waste of time to kill 200 each. Plus I know it's sandbox but having the title quest is a nice sense of nooby progression for first starting the game. I know if I took the time and read Trade chat to find out what people need, and find mobs that drop it, and if need be fight those mobs in a guild group and spilt profits I'd still make out better then what I'm doing now. But for my account still being with shit stats while others are above 60 in all stats and have some above 75. Along with having mastery in weapons and high rank weapon abilities. I'm just a pleb trying to skill gain on mobs that give net value of the time I spend there skill gaining for mobs I can kill. If I choose decently moderate mobs, that drop reagents/arrows but I'm not gaining TRUE gold value except what they drop as gold or trash items to vendor. Then that's a win for me. Since then I'm not spending more gold every trip out to grind on arrows/reagents, instead the mobs drop them and I break even or I gain/lose minimal reagents on each trip with the same amount of skill gain from a higher mob but I'd just use the gold I'd get to buy supplies which in reality is the same difference. Instead one option you just get the gold and forced to spend it. And the other the mob takes care of it for you and drops the supplies needed for grinding. Plus I usually farm stuff that I'm able to kill with a slight challenge, reagents, arrows, and also drops a small amount of gold and enchant mats. So it's a winner at all corners that you look at it. I get some Q1/2 enchants, small amount of gold or trash armor to sell to vendor for more gold. Then they drop arrows and reagents to equal out what I bring to every grind session.

I take out studded gear with me and r30/40's to compensate for my shit stats and weapon skill so I'm able to still do dmg. And Studded I'm okay to lose and it's cheap enough to buy in bulk and not feel bad for losing it.

MikeJT likes this.
  8. MikeJT

MikeJT Black Knight
    Supporter

Thing is, those quests are left over from when it took 72 hours of play to get to 50 in a 2 hander and 50 lesser magic. Now that takes like 6 hours.

Plus attributes go up faster now too so those little title buffs don't mean as much either.

9. SEOINAGE

SEOINAGE Goblin Warrior

Right, they need to be scaled to match the new progression. but you know in the end you are going to have a title quest active. And it's painful to do the noobie ones later in the game.

10. Zuul Ghat

Zuul Ghat Deadeye
    Legend

I believe all the quests, outpost quests, and titles quests are a good place to start as it progressively gets harder as you do them and it shows you the natural progression of mobs you should be doing in the beginning. So they are great training wheels. As you go pay attention to the mob drops and make note so you can re-farm them later for things you need.

Also use darkfallmap.com It is based on the old geck zilla map and lists what each mob is weak too. Ignore the loot info as it's outdated for ROA. Darkfallmap.com is very useful for harder mobs and useful to determine what kind of magic you should be using and what self buffs and debuffs on mobs you should be using while farming.