Welcome to the Rise of Agon Community

Create an account today to engage in discussions and community events on the Rise of Agon forums.

Tweak Races Before Launch

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by NonFactor, Oct 4, 2016.

1. Green Chili

Green Chili Spellgazer
    Legend

Yea, humans need to be knocked down a bit, for diversities sake. Honestly, these numbers aren't as far out of line as I was expecting.

I wonder how much of the disparity is due to perceived pvp superiority vs. the fact that maybe more people simply prefer to play a race that "feels familiar." Would be interesting to know what the race selection numbers look like in other fantasy MMOs (like WOW).

Only trial and error will show how to do it the right way, nerf humans (passives and/or reach) just a little until they loose about 10% popularity and see where the population goes. We could be pretty balanced if that happens, most races coming in about 15%, and humans closer to 20%.

2. Invincible Execution

Invincible Execution Varangian Warthane
    Hero

How do you all feel about some more *just for fun* racials that wouldn't affect pvp? For example:

Dwarves gain a bonus to mining
    Mahirim gain a bonus to skinning
    Orks get a bonus to their breath bar when underwater
    Mirdain get a bonus versus undead
    Alfar get a bonus vs elementals

Stuff like that. So there would be a bit more variety and it's not only about pvp.

Dixie Normus and leth1337 like this.
  3. Ford Prefect

Ford Prefect Frostjarl
    Legend

Numbers probably skewed though because people have a human main and something else alt.

Kotic and RootedOak like this.
  4. leth1337

leth1337 Dire Zombie
    Legend

dont dwarves already have some sort of crafting bonus or do they just start w higher wisdom?

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
  5. Super Star

Super Star Oak Lord
    Legend

yes they get a dura crafting bonus for armor

leth1337 likes this.
  6. Not_Primetime

Not_Primetime Winterbound
    Wealthy Legend

And it was intended. It's called play styles, passives for crafters, mages, archers and etc.

I think the races bonuses are fine as they are. I have played all races except dwarf and the BIG pain point is camera angle. I personally prefer the wolf but the camera angle was so terrible, you could not see dwarfs and alfars in melee. That is a BIG advantage for dwarf and alfars, bigger than reach and hit-box or stupid racial passives. I really don't know how you fix those issue. I guess Scrubby Bear's idea is a solution but it still sucks. How do you do it without reducing the larger hit-box models? That still doesn't address the other issues with models. Other wise on the smaller model characters you can score hits outside the character model. How is that right?

If that is what you think is a "true" solution it's not. Then they might as well remove all races. Standardize the models and make it a faction choice when you create your character. BPG can tout 6 ft tall dwarfs and alfars yeah! No one ever played the racial wars, there were no racial battles on EU or NA. So faction would be even more useless as nobody plays faction/race wars in DFO. The only people that care about "race balance", if you want to call it that , are solo PKers who don't want to always take alignment hits. That is the only the reason people complain.

I could careless about seeing more or less players in one starter area verse another. I want a large population! I want conflict and a lot, large scale battles and sieges. Look at other games with faction wars, Guild Wars there is always one faction that is larger and constantly win. You can't code peoples' behavior you can try but unless you take choice out of the equation and just assign people a model/race and faction you'll never have balanced "race/faction" populations. As soon as you do that, you turn off most of the player base. The choices and customization is what people want more than anything else in a MMO game, after that it is content. There was a game that catered to the solo play style it was the second title in this franchise to fail. It failed more miserably and in half the time than the first title.

Whenever I hear this argument I think "Solo PKers who don't want to take alignment hits all the time, boo fucking hoo...". So when you look at it from that stand point the alignment system works. The alignment system is the real crux of the issue and not the races themselves. It is a true straw-man argument if I've seen one.

#46 Not_Primetime, Oct 5, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2016
  7. Bojangles

Bojangles Varangian Warthane
    Legend

Breath bar underwater is a pvp buff dood

8. Invincible Execution

Invincible Execution Varangian Warthane
    Hero

Well, I can't argue that ;) How about the other ideas though?

9. Mycke

Mycke Obsidian Golem

I would do it taking into consideration how good their other racials are.

Dwarves mining but only stone (their racials too good already).
    Mahirim bonus hunting animals (even mob animals but not magical creatures like dragons or anything humanoid)
    Humans fishing (goes with food thing)
    Mirdain Herb gathering (better chance of stead)
    Ork wood (they are good with axes :p)
    Alfar either mining ore or skinning (since they have worst racials)

leth1337 likes this.
  10. Andrew

Andrew Obsidian Golem
    Staff Member BPG Representative

No this wouldn't be something we give out probably, we typically like to keep discovery and specific values behind the scenes. It starts small but if we kept adding more and more specific formulas and stats it can really cut into the discovery factor. This is one of the things that we think was good about the game, not being given a manual that tells you every little bit of technical detail.

The values would not really help much it's more about how the characters feel when playing.

11. Sero

Sero Gnoll Vilegaunt
    Loyal Legend

Combat diversity aming racial passives wouldnt be a bad thing guys. People would pick what benefits their playstyle more. Say alfars get magic bonus mirdain get archer bonus and ork get melee bonis. You like to use a bow, which race do you choose? It doesnt have to be much just an extra point.

Also. Every race except alfar has practically the same reach... Test it.

12. Garou Lintermittent

Garou Lintermittent Goblin Shaman
    Hero

Speak for yourself. I rolled wolf and would do so again in the official launch. No ragrets.

leth1337 likes this.
  13. Battle Smurf

Battle Smurf Oak Lord
    Legend

Nah FUCK Dat Homie give Alfar PREDATOR THERMAL VISION!

There ARE some draw backs that balance it but making it straight toggleble might be OP. Instead it could be an activatible skill like rage useable once every 5 minutes and lasts 20 seconds OR make it toggleable that can last up to 20 seconds and drain mana/stamina but requires a recharge time such as for every 1 second of use it takes 1 minute of being OFF to recharge

And before the Loretards start "REEEEING" say it's a special magic given to them by God King Melek out of necessity due to living underground that requires extreme concentration to use and maintain

This Mod has been in games even before DF1 and there are mods for it in ark/ skyrim/ gta/ avp and more so it can't be that hard to do

@Andrew
    @DestLocke
    @Umberto
    @Neilk
    @MWTaylor

#53 Battle Smurf, Oct 6, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2016
  14. Super Star

Super Star Oak Lord
    Legend

so you want a wallhack on a cooldown...? Alfar just need normalized reach not some weird voodoo maphacks lol.

Sero likes this.
  15. Battle Smurf

Battle Smurf Oak Lord
    Legend

It doesn't see through anything did you even watch it? If the model is behind a tree or wall or plant or anything it doesn't show up And the first one shown that's similar to the movies actually brings a lot of Drawbacks

This would be for long range clear line of sight night or dark area scouting

I'll take human female reach instead but my idea is cooler, more unique, and debateably LESS of a buff

If nights were darker and you couldn't remove shadows or change gamma to see better at night (or use BENQ monitor black equalizer which is dope for MANY games fyi) then you could MAYBE argue my buff is better

16. Super Star

Super Star Oak Lord
    Legend

I prefer to just ask for normal reach back instead of going overboard. I mean its a cool idea, but its op and impractical due to reasons you already said; removing shadows, changing gamma, etc.