Welcome to the Rise of Agon Community

Create an account today to engage in discussions and community events on the Rise of Agon forums.

UI changes

Discussion in 'Game Design Discussion' started by Carrot Soup, May 7, 2017.

1. Carrot Soup

Carrot Soup Celestial
    Legend

Someone said it in general discussion, i feel it merits consideration.

Please allow us to choose via the game launcher options ( a simple checkbox would suffice), which UI we use during game play ie the old one or the new disaster..

the old UI was easy to see, understandable and when you changed your screen resolution the font size changed with it, the current UI is difficult to read, has the annoying UW icon system , FEELS like the UW ui, and of course the font size and icon size cannot be changed even if you change your screen resolution (AV took more than a year to make changes to it so that it was actually usable by people with poor vision).

either that or follow in av's footsteps (which you seem so fond of doing) and give us the ability to change the text font size and icon size. I'm sure you remember the "Aa" icon they put in during late game UW which allowed said changes.

it's a simple fix and would improve the QoL for many players.

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
  2. Beret

Beret Goblin Warrior

I think it would be easier to make a UI Profile system with different layouts set for each.

3. Korag

Korag Evil Eye
    Hero

Nostalgia only goes so far the old ui was known to be in favorable and needed to be changed for the new player exp. and in the opinion of many is a massive improvement. While you are entitled to your opinions I promise you will adjust quickly and they have so many other things that need attention right now and by the time they got around to your request you would already be used to and likely complain about going backwards.

4. Whisper

Whisper Air Elemental
    ANN Reporter

I'm no expert at Darkfall UI coding, but a potential problem with this could be iteration. They've changed the UI/UX, but they've also added features, which may not have been coded backwards into the old functionality. Especially with Darkfall's spaghetti code, it could be time consuming and potentially bug inducing for them to try and revert new features into the old code, and then maintain both branches side by side as they continue to iterate.

Garou Lintermittent and Baraz like this.
  5. wtblife

wtblife Goblin Warrior

Ya doing this would probably be a waste of time for the developers. They should be focused on fixing issues with the new system. Hopefully UI scaling for instance doesn't take too long to get added.

6. Garou Lintermittent

Garou Lintermittent Goblin Shaman
    Hero

The new UI is just a slicker version of the old UI. I don't now what you find is the problem, text isn't blurry, everything is where it should be and easily understandable.

Having the devs drag along that boat anchor that is the old UI is a waste of their precious time.

Kalos likes this.
  7. Beret

Beret Goblin Warrior

I do wish however we could track quests like we do quests so we don't have to pull up the Diary over and over.

8. Andrew

Andrew Obsidian Golem
    Staff Member BPG Representative

Eventually we will most likely essentially "throw out" the old GUI and rebuild from the ground up. The current one is more of a stop gap for now.

Kalos, BluntedJ and KingLlama like this.
  9. Carrot Soup

Carrot Soup Celestial
    Legend

no, the text IS indeed blurry for me, and sure, everything is where it should be but it's not 'understandable'. you obviously did not take the time to actually read my post, else you would have noted that my primary complaint was the fact that the text is unreadable due to the inability to change the font size. the font size and window sizes also do NOT change when one changes their resolution, this also needs to be fixed.

this is a simple fix, and i've not noticed any new reasons in the game that would suggest that they've added something which would cause issues should they allow us a UI 'choice'. Even in UW there were no reasons that the UI couldnt be changed to make the players happy. There is even a video on youtube where a player had figured out how to plug the DFO ui into UW and it played with absolutely no issues. so yeah, the argument that it would be too much work is a dead argument.

As for it being a waste of time.. the waste of time, was ripping of AV's UI and claiming it for their own, knowing fully well that nobody that played UW liked the UI at all. THAT was the waste of time. The DFO UI was fully capable of being changed/adapted to updates. They showed us this, when they plugged the sword/board capability into the hotbar. If the DFO UI were so antique and unwieldy they would have scrapped it completely instead of simply modifying it to suit their needs. My level of programming ability has only reached the point where I make games for phones on two platforms, yet i feel certain that the amount of 'work' needed to actually address this issue is trivial compared to the amount of time they're going to need to correct this issue further down the road.

Fix it now while things are relatively simple rather than waiting until you've actually made a HUGE amount of changes, which would definitely require more work.

Also, i'd like to point out that by fixing the UI issues, you'll make more 'old' players happy, while new players will feel more stability in game play rather than experiencing the same frustrations of which i speak. Every other MMO out there, gives you an option to resize your fonts or at a minimum, when you change your resolution, the windows change accordingly.. this would make all windows in the game bigger, and at the same time easier to read/see. and the fun part, is that the UI is customizable, so those 'bigger windows' that you're already preparing to bitch about, can be made to disappear when not pinned to the screen.

IF AV CAN DO IT, SO CAN BPG.. and guess what.. AV MANAGED TO DO IT, just most of you were no longer playing to witness it.

Allow us to change the font size, or set it so that it expands/contracts with game resolution, OR even better.. give us the choice.
    --- Post updated ---
    i agree, but the layouts need to also include increased/reduced windows/fonts or windows that can be changed in size.
    --- Post updated ---
    then why use a 'stop gap' at all.. why not simply keep the old one, adapt it to your needs while building something new and usable to ALL players. did you even bother to ask people if they preferred icons or text? not my company sure, but if you expect subscribers to be happy with a product, you should do some testing. and if you're getting negative feedback about your proposed item (like this UI issue), and you already know that you want to change it as it's simply a 'stop gap', should you not reconsider using it at all?

I get that you guys are working hard, and I get that the changes take time, effort, and resources. Why bother making the change to icons and unadaptable font sizes, if you're already aware that you're going to have to change it again in the future. seems like an exercise in futility to me.

sure the crisp black boxes are more tekky and modern than the old ui, but the old ui fit the genre better than crisp lines. it's an MMORPG not a space sim or a shooter game. it feel's cold and useless compared to the old UI, but, i admit that this is not the source of frustration, i dont like the 'theme' of it (the current UI which is a UW knockoff), but i could care less about the theme if the function is great.

Some of your players are older, or need glasses, or have crap monitors, or have super huge monitors. The UI should be easy enough to see/read/use for ALL of those players (or at a minimum adjustable for them). The fact that this complaint has been made on multiple threads should indicate to you that this issue, is not a tiny one. It needs addressing, players that come from steam or other sources will expect this game to be in tune, adaptable, and functionally usable for them when they log in, as it's been 'released' and is no longer in 'beta'. The UI, will be one of their first challenges to master, and your lack of a proper tutorial is going to make that task even more difficult. The more icons you add and the more they strain their eyes trying to read the chat etc.. the more frustrated they will be come and that frustration may very well push them away.

I didnt suggest this idea/change out of selfishness (though i detest everything about the UW UI and the current UI is a disgusting mutated copy of it). I'm still pissed at dozens of the changes you guys have made, but i wouldnt wish failure on anyone, and the UI is what helped push the population of UW down quickly, along with roles and prestige. The UI matters and is a reflection on the game. It's a simple fact.
    --- Post updated ---
    i will not 'adjust' to something that is literally impossible for me to read. Andrew has established that they're aware of the issue and has stated they intend to scrap it eventually.. why the hell should i 'get used' to a stop gap? and believe me, i would never complain about 'stepping backwards' when it comes to an unwieldy UI vs one that was clunky but at least adaptable. thanks but no thanks. the UI needs to be fixed. It has nothing to do with 'nostalgia'.

10. wtblife

wtblife Goblin Warrior

Jebus. I'm pretty sure you misunderstand what they mean by throw out the old. The old one is the one you want back (currently parts of both exist since there is a lot to do). I'm sure they'll add scaling etc, but you must be exaggerating when you say impossible to read. I play at 1440p and agree that scaling is necessary, but I'm not sure what you mean by blurry.

They shouldn't have to "correct" anything, they just haven't added in scaling or re-sizable fonts yet. Hopefully it's in the near future (assuming this new system was designed with it in mind). You really need to calm down though, the issue has been brought up quite a few times (by me and others) and it sounds like they do plan to address it. https://forums.darkfallriseofagon.com/threads/ui-scaling.9627/#post-137062

#10 wtblife, May 11, 2017
    Last edited: May 11, 2017
  11. Carrot Soup

Carrot Soup Celestial
    Legend

i'm not bent out of shape, i'm being honest, i'm not upset or anything else. the fact is, i wear bifocals and have an issue reading the text on the screen due to the lack of resize-able fonts. it's a simple request. the 'old' gui font size changed when you changed your screen resolution.. why would you step away from an obvious issue just to put in pretty boxes with icons? they changed absolutely nothing with the 'stop gap' measure and literally made things more difficult for a small percentage of players.

yet, when we ask to go back to what we could actually use, vs a stop gap measure to appease some people that actually fixed nothing except the attitudes of those that hated the old UI. You said it yourself as have others on this post, the 'old' ui exists the moment you click one of those retarded icons, so why did they bother adding icons and taking away the ability to change the font size? if it's still there, going backwards to the single thing that can help players read the journal, the chat, etc.. should be a logical step until they can figure out something better...

why ride a bike when your car works fine, it just makes noise and smokes like hell.

what is with all the resistance? this ui literally does nothing that the 'old' one couldnt do, so why NOT give us back the old one that actually allowed those of us with bad eyes to be able to read chat? and if you read clearly, i asked for the option to go to the old one, while you, can still use the shiny new one. again, i've enough coding knowledge to know that sure, it's gonna take a few tweaks to get it properly done, but it's a small price to pay for a happier player base. i, for one, would probably drop off the forums altogether if they'd stop screwing with the UI. all the rest of the bs changes i can accept and move on with.. the change that causes playing the game to literally give me a fucking migraine.. THAT change, i'm gonna bitch about... fix it, and i'll shut up for another 5 months until they screw up crafting again.

12. Rifkan

Rifkan Goblin Scout

@Carrot Soup
    You could stop playing the game entirely until they've implemented everything you want. Just sayin that I, and possibly a large number of players, have very few issues with the current UI. Have faith in BPG. I know I do.

13. Carrot Soup

Carrot Soup Celestial
    Legend

the problem is i had faith in them to begin with, and then they started making changes which directly screwed the way i play darkfall, then they made more changes that directly changed the way my clan played the game.. so this game, is not what we'd asked or paid for with founders packs. thus the reason when they do something stupid like this, i feel the need to point it out. i paid, you paid, we all paid to get DFO back, and what we've gotten is an improved hotbar, mount sprinting and about 40 things stolen from UW with no 'original' changes or adaptations except for things like.. going rogue when you steal a mount.. we have the old character models back, but the UW alignment system.. something EVERYONE bitched about in UW but here, because it's bpg, nobody seems to mind.. buncha fickle chaps. but me, i'm not fickle, i'm not wishy washy and i dont change my mind with the ebb and flow of the community, i hold firm in my beliefs and my memories of what darkfall was and all you or i could do.. and i watch as those freedoms are slowly chipped away...

i intend to stop playing btw, something quite a few people will rejoice in, but my money paid for some free sub time, so i'm gonna use it. and i'm gonna point out the obvious flaws when i see them, because most people are too fanboy scared to do so. i apologize in advance if this bothers you.

14. wtblife

wtblife Goblin Warrior

I just know it makes little sense for them to go backwards and devote time to implement this when they plan to scrap the old UI. They wanted to use the new UI for their tasks system and other stuff which is probably one reason why they chose to implement part of it rather than waiting til they could finish everything. Who knows, maybe the issue will be addressed before your time runs out even.

15. Carrot Soup

Carrot Soup Celestial
    Legend

maybe, maybe it will be addressed, maybe it won't, but again i'll repeat, there's nothing that the current ui can do, that the old one could not. there was already a diary system in place with the j, key which did a spectacular job of showing you not only what the task/quest was but also what the reward would be.

the only thing they've done any differently, is the broken quest tracker (it works less than 50% of the time and never properly counts kills, or items farmed). the journal it's self could have been avoided altogether by simply using the diary that is STILL built in to the system. so, instead of doing something logical, they changed the appearance of the UI (just to confuse and piss people off i guess, very few people appreciate the icon idea even when AV did it) and then they tie it in, with the STILL EXISTING old UI.. why? so they can add a quest tracker that has more bugs in it than a $5 hotel room? I'm sorry but i disagree that switching back to the old UI would be 'regressing'. It'd be a step forward for them, an acknowledgement that they tried, they failed, lets use the one that actually worked while we develop something better.

tbh, they should never have launched without a properly functioning UI to begin with. this is one of those things that they were warned about by hundreds of us during testing, and their response was to ignore us, and do what they wanted anyway, now they have a broken, unreadable catastrophe which is causing actual new players to leave in droves. Couple the UI with the lack of a tutorial, throw in a couple vet griefers who dry loot noobs when they die (and other actual noobs who don't understand the difference between a blue and yellow grave), and you get one highly frustrated pissed off individual who says 'no way in hell am i going to continue to pay for this' and leaves.

The UI is a direct reflection of the quality of the game, and the professionalism of the company behind the game. If it looks screwed up, is unwieldy, etc, the new player will dislike the game, especially when there's no damned tutorial explaining to them how to use the disastrous ui to begin with. This UI, makes bpg look like a bunch of amateurs that copy catted a concept from AV but didn't have the tech savvy to actually make it happen. They honestly would have been better off paying AV a bit extra, and buying the code for the UW UI.. at least that one worked even if it did look like shit.