Welcome to the Rise of Agon Community

Create an account today to engage in discussions and community events on the Rise of Agon forums.

Dev thread Upcoming Patches

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Billy Lee, Jan 18, 2020.

1. BeatIt

BeatIt Eodrin
    Loyal Legend

agree, dont put more trash but maybe make boss hit 30% harder
    we already have tons of trash to get champions up (

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
    Ikaika Koa and Mea Kulpa like this.
  2. Billy Lee

Billy Lee Loremaster
    Staff Member Team B Lifetime

Minions are there to provide meaningful activity and profit in between boss spawns, don't forget that the respawn timer is long and reducing the timer will cause a heavy influx of materials.The addition of minions means you won't *have* to leave the spawn or log out, you'll have something to do, another task to complete. Even with a health nerf and damage boost, the players are very skilled these days and without minions these bosses would be solo'd still. These spawns will be profitable for groups and lead to some large pvp fights as well.

3. JasperHawkins

JasperHawkins Celestial
    Loyal Legend

Nah seems like a better idea to keep it so people can Farm some of the highest end mobs in the game wearing only a robe and a shitty BlackBolt risking nothing.

Andrew and Billy Lee like this.
  4. IsilithTehroth

IsilithTehroth Gravelord
    Supporter

Instead of inflating VCPs with a fixed number make it so the more people that enter a large perimeter add to the reward value, but only once(So respawning doesn't get out of hand and alts) also if there were a way to make it so it only increases via geared players entering the zone and per death.(Gotta be a way to stop clans from just making a deal to kill each other in the zone to split the rewards).

Also I agree with scrubby that bosses need more and better mechanics to deal with instead of tanking and beating on it until it dies. The spawns could act as healers for instance or the boss gets a damage % increase per each spawn alive.

5. Flux D

Flux D Crypt Guard
    Benefactor Legend

The main problem for why people solo farm is because only the champs have loot worth splitting. Anything else isn't worth farming in even a duo or a group because i would rather kill 1 leenspar golem in 5minutes rather than 2.5minutes with 2 people because i still have to wait 20minutes for it to respawn again.

6. Billy Lee

Billy Lee Loremaster

There are plenty of spawns worth farming as a duo imo, some are good as a trio too, but these spots are not exactly widely known. There should be more viable spots and the locations should not be so obscure, this is an mmo after all. I agree that rewards need to be enticing for groups, which they often aren't, with some exceptions like champions, as you mentioned. A lot of people prefer to fight the strongest monsters in the game, so I feel focusing on that is prudent. There should be enough loot coming in that you don't have to think, "hmm, this would be better if I was by myself", when things are presented properly, groups will feel rewarded.

After seeing the additional feedback and discussing the matter internally, this is what we decided on:

• Leenpar golem equivalent and stronger monsters (not bosses), will have two types of minions guarding them.
    • All three monster types will have their own tasks, so you can complete three tasks during your run, which gives rewards to everyone in the group. The minions provide additional loot and you can continue grinding their tasks in between spawns of the major monster
    • All three tasks also have possible rare rewards, with the major monsters often being a source of R80 materials and some of the minions having phials. This is common but not the case for all spawns. Again, these are possible rewards, not guaranteed.
    • Both minion types at each spawn will have task rewards that give a bit of the coveted material the major monster drops, so at the theyril golem spawn the minion tasks will each provide some theyril.
    • If you can clear and lock down the spawn, everyone will get a good amount of loot, with the potential for some big scores.
    Pros of this setup include:
    1. promotes group farming
    2. eliminates the boredom of waiting for respawns in empty spawns
    3. provides opportunities for phials, r80 mats, keys, maps, rare ores and timbers, etc
    4. adds great value to holdings via clan content
    5. creates open-world pvp opportunities with chances for huge fights

Mimitis TheOne likes this.
  7. Ryco Stormeye

Ryco Stormeye Dire Zombie

I suggest that the Map Pins for monsters have one added text line which says how many monsters are at the spawn.

This would allow the duo, trio and group spawns to be found rather than having to manually check every spawn.
    It will also show that some spawns only have 1 or 2 mobs rather than the standard 3 or 4 which is good for weaker solo charatcers.

8. Slaker

Slaker Goblin Scout
    Patron Supporter Contributor

What are you guys planning to do on this front?

I think more routes on different timer and shorter/longer routes with different tiers of rewards would be a great start.

Maybe announce how many participant are active for a given route, this could perhaps promote PVP?

Mimitis TheOne and Billy Lee like this.
  9. Ibis

Ibis Goblin Warlord
    Staff Member Game Master

On this subject.
    Its something i'm looking into. but i will love to hear you guys input on what we could do
    Trixie had a great idea on discord today which is to make trade route have a middle point such as maybe midmap that you have to visit before you turn in, as a way to combat mass alts on boats which also would allow us to improve the loot you get greatly

We might be able to make more trade routes / different routes.
    not sure if possible yet but maybe have multiple start points in the world but also multiple end points and when a trade route would go live the system would pick a random start and end point

i got some ideas my self but i would love to hear input from players

10. NonFactor

NonFactor Forest Golem
    Wealthy Affluent Legend

make greataxe and greatclubes 0.35 speed and polearm 0.25.

The Red King likes this.
  11. The Red King

The Red King Black Knight
    Loyal Legend

I think the issue with this is you are taking away the only way solo players can get rares. Zergs already have a million mines.

Why cant it be the high end mobs like the Leenspar Golem spawn based on how fast you can kill it. So if just a solo player goes and he kills it in 5 minutes - it doesn't spawn for 15 minutes like normal.
    If 2 people go there and kill it in 2.5 minutes, it spawns in 7.5 minutes so they both get loot.
    If three people go and kill it on 1 minutes 40 seconds, it spawns in 5 minutes.

Win / Win for everyone!

Also Mine cities and hamlets should have major upkeep for All mines, Theyril the most then Leen etc

12. Billy Lee

Billy Lee Loremaster

You can get rares from tasks, daily tasks, dungeon dailies, chests, maps, chaos chests, trades routes, raid mines, etc. All solo. As you likely know, I have done a lot of pve and spent a lot of time at these spawns, so I have a good feel for the activity they produced historically. Not many good fights to be had at most of them, people showing up solo most of the time (but still not often at most spawns) and often in low-end gear.

Holding value will be higher with solid group content nearby. Open world fights in the red zone need to occur more often. Characters are stronger, players are better, without minions or a complete overhaul of these monsters, they are not very engaging imo. Another consideration is that players can farm gold anywhere and precious materials are frequently for sale on the market, plus buy orders exist.

JasperHawkins likes this.
  13. Scrubby Bear

Scrubby Bear Eodrin
    Hero

My issue is that PvE simply isn't engaging in this game in general. Even champs felt more like tedious click/spam fest more than any kind of strategy or thinking. I can't recall a single person I have ever played with that was actually excited or wanted to do them if they didn't need the reward. That should tell you that the underlying mechanics are simply not fun and that only hefty rewards even makes them worth doing. To make it engaging there needs to be choices, options and strategy. PvE in DFO has always been extremely shallow, devoid of any strategy or interesting mechanics. It would be cool to see PvE go in a direction of being a lot less clicks and a lot more strategy.

14. Billy Lee

Billy Lee Loremaster

I am a fan of the pve in RoA but I understand your viewpoint and it is valid. The reason I don't play other mmorpgs personally is because I don't like the combat. Typically you remain stationary and cycle through various spells and abilities, it comes down mostly to math and game knowledge, as in boss fights (but usually not other fights) you need to learn the strategies of the boss and how to thwart them. Also, tab target and auto-aim.

RoA combat feels more like "real fighting" to me, aiming your attacks and dodging or blocking the attacks of the monsters. They can chase you down, overwhelm you with bleeds, blind you, etc. However, it would be great to see more depth in the way of interesting abilities and challenges, such as other mmorpgs have. These things should be possible in the future.

For me, the most fun and fascinating element of RoA pve has always been the threat of pvp. When I feel the risk of being attacked is high, I have more fun. This circles back to the rewards you were talking about, when rewards are appealing, the chance for pvp rises. Remember the times when the center dungeon and devil were legitimately dangerous places to visit? If you went, you knew there was a chance you'd be killed. That was exciting and that's the product of good rewards. By creating more challenging group content, more conflict should arise, holding value should increase, and the excitement of venturing to legitimately dangerous areas will be fun.

JasperHawkins likes this.
  15. Battle Smurf

Battle Smurf Oak Lord
    Legend

Enjoy having only 200 players forever if that's the case

The Red King likes this.
  16. NonFactor

NonFactor Forest Golem
    Wealthy Affluent Legend

everything is better than minions annoying you while u trying to kill the dumb golem.

The Red King and BeatIt like this.
  17. Ryco Stormeye

Ryco Stormeye Dire Zombie

I feel the same way which is why I dont like non boss PvE in other games e.g you can watch a youtube clip of someone in ESO tagging 15 mobs and aoeing them down in about 5 sec without their health even moving. You get 15 mobs in RoA hitting you even when your wearing heavy armour and your in trouble fast.

Newbies still die to Goblins in RoA... when was the last time someone you know died to a PvE mob starting out in WoW, ESO or something alongs those lines. Yes the PvE in RoA needs enhancing its not perfect by any means. And yes a lot of the big mobs are just huge damage sponges. If Rare Golems get minions then going solo to kill one every 15 mins becomes not possible. Rare ores get rarer, rewards that include them like dailys and dungeons become better. Finding a rare ore node is enchanced, even holding value goes up. People might start buying the rares more often off the market. Just because something has been a certain way for a long time and we have become used to it does not mean its the best way.

Mimitis TheOne, Slaker and Billy Lee like this.
  18. NonFactor

NonFactor Forest Golem
    Wealthy Affluent Legend

epic fail imo.

ppl just want to kill a fuckin leenspar golem.

Chantree and The Red King like this.
  19. Scrapnotcrap

Scrapnotcrap Eodrin
    Loyal Hero

I think all this is great. Nice post.

Billy Lee likes this.
  20. NonFactor

NonFactor Forest Golem
    Wealthy Affluent Legend

considering ur last posts.. its not good