Welcome to the Rise of Agon Community

Create an account today to engage in discussions and community events on the Rise of Agon forums.

Dev thread Village Feedback Encouraged

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Billy Lee, Jan 8, 2020.

1. Billy Lee

Billy Lee Loremaster
    Staff Member BPG Representative Lifetime

Villages have gone through several iterations, results have been mixed. I'd like to hear your feedback on what you like and dislike about competing for villages, and what can be improved. Here are some points of interest to discuss, but feel free to present new ideas.

1. Do villages feel like a worthwhile opportunity for profit in their current state?
    2. I have seen many pvpers eager to sell keys and maps, which leads me to believe that many players would prefer pure gold instead of having to sell their rewards. This allows pvpers to earn gold by pvping, and use it to purchase needed goods from crafters. Thoughts?
    3. Do you think announcements of how many players captured a village should be removed? On one hand, this can warn you of a potential zerg, on the other hand, it can discourage you from contesting the village and due to the presence of alts, the zerg may not actually be a zerg at all.
    4. How do you feel about making villages have a single, fixed reward (e.g Alhali is worth 50k), sent to the party leader, or arriving in some other way? The advantage of this is the ability to control loot output, which creates a more level playing field overall. Zerging remains an option, but the reward would be smaller. Conversely, a single risk-taker can attempt to take the full loot reward. This also fixes alt abuse.
    5. How big of a role do you feel your gear score should play?
    6. What is your opinion on porting to villages from billboards? Should it be embraced completely, removed, or tweaked?
    Perhaps this discussion will lead to some nice improvements.

Edit: To clarify the gold reward concept, each village would be "worth" a certain amount of gold. Some would be ideal for larger groups, others for solo or duo, etc.

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
    #1 Billy Lee, Jan 8, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2020
  2. Michael Jackson

Michael Jackson Skeleton Archer

Tbh villages are not worth at their state i think the player count should be removed aswell

3. Ryco Stormeye

Ryco Stormeye Crypt Guard

Do villages feel like a worthwhile opportunity for profit in their current state?

I think due to the nature of the RNG they can be worth it sometimes but most of the time not. Unless your taking alts

I have seen many pvpers eager to sell keys and maps, which leads me to believe that many players would prefer pure gold instead of having to sell their rewards. This allows pvpers to earn gold by pvping, and use it to purchase needed goods from crafters. Thoughts?

A gold reward that they spend on crafted goods or enchant mats from pvers sounds good.

Do you think announcements of how many players captured a village should be removed? On one hand, this can warn you of a potential zerg, on the other hand, it can discourage you from contesting the village and due to the presence of alts, the zerg may not actually be a zerg at all.

Your right it is a mixed bag. I prefer it with there was not a number as you had suprise.

How do you feel about making villages have a single, fixed reward (e.g Alhali is worth 50k), sent to the party leader, or arriving in some other way? The advantage of this is the ability to control loot output, which creates a more level playing field overall. Zerging remains an option, but the reward would be smaller. Conversely, a single risk-taker can attempt to take the full loot reward. This also fixes alt abuse.

Sounds like a good idea

How big of a role do you feel your gear score should play?

I think gear score is usefull but mages need some help vs a full heavy

What is your opinion on porting to villages from billboards? Should it be embraced completely, removed, or tweaked?

Tweak it to the following;

Blue billboards (Sanguine and other cites in human lands) should go to blue village only
    Yellow billboards (Race Capitals and cities in yellow zone) should go to yellow village only
    Red billboards (Chaos Cities and cities in red zone) should go to red villages only

This way people who want to live in a certain zone can port to the PvP village and PvP with the risk level they are comfortable with.
    Rewards scale based on risk level so you dont get a Teir 6 in blue zones getting massive rewards.

4. streaml1ne

streaml1ne Wildtribe Mage
    Loyal Legend

1. I've done a couple with gear score 3 and the rewards were just ok. Personally I wouldn't risk more gear unless the rewards were worth more, but I'm a carebear PVE'er. I also don't do many villages anymore cause the rewards seemed a bit lackluster.
    2. I like items. Gold is nice too, but personally I do villages and other things for the materials.
    3. Get rid of the notifications. Part of the fun of DFO was not knowing when you'd get jumped, with some of the recent changes to lawful zones I think removing the village notifications would bring back some of that risk/reward anxious feeling.
    4. Eh, If you do this make sure everyone in the party is given notice of what the reward was so there's accountability.
    5. Gear score is fine, but scale it better. Gear score of 3 right now for me is a full plate chest and legs with bone fillers and shield/R50 one-hander and top tier jewelry. That's only one tier down from most people's daily driver gear set and the rewards compared to GS3 feel a bit thin.
    6. Make the area it can drop you in larger so you have to travel more to the village center. You can't mark runes to within 500m of a city or whatever now, make the village port drop you outside a similar radius.
    7. The biggest thing with villages is that they're buggy. I joined someone's party after they had already started capping the village the other day and got no rewards, I've also had the village capture points (the actual pads you stand on) not show in the game at all and had to relog twice to get them to come up (i was in a party both times). I've also had weird things where I'll stand on one pad and start capturing, then go to another and have it say an opposing team was now capturing. Along those lines I've captured a village entirely when it says an opposing team was gaining score (I was the only one there). The party mechanics are definitely buggy currently.
    --- Post updated ---
    I like this idea.

Billy Lee likes this.
  5. Wizzy

Wizzy Undead Dwarf
    Patron Contributor

1. Do villages feel like a worthwhile opportunity for profit in their current state? No, something needs "changed". Loot isnt there to make it worthwhile- risking a 400k bag for 10k in items isnt great
    2. I have seen many pvpers eager to sell keys and maps, which leads me to believe that many players would prefer pure gold instead of having to sell their rewards. This allows pvpers to earn gold by pvping, and use it to purchase needed goods from crafters. Thoughts?Keep it gold + items. Increase the gold a good bit though
    3. Do you think announcements of how many players captured a village should be removed? On one hand, this can warn you of a potential zerg, on the other hand, it can discourage you from contesting the village and due to the presence of alts, the zerg may not actually be a zerg at all. Remove the announcement of HOW MANY, but leave the announcement of it being capped
    4. How do you feel about making villages have a single, fixed reward (e.g Alhali is worth 50k), sent to the party leader, or arriving in some other way? The advantage of this is the ability to control loot output, which creates a more level playing field overall. Zerging remains an option, but the reward would be smaller. Conversely, a single risk-taker can attempt to take the full loot reward. This also fixes alt abuse. fix it so there is no alt abuse but leave it so the items/gold go directly to your bank, adding a third party to control the reqards makes grouping with people . Leave the loot output method the same, just boost the rewards
    5. How big of a role do you feel your gear score should play? large, as risking a q5+ bag isnt worth it at the moment
    6. What is your opinion on porting to villages from billboards? Should it be embraced completely, removed, or tweaked? Porting to villages is a must IMO, dont remove them as it would just make some not do it at all (less chance for pvp or the system to be used). I would definitly tweek it so there is more villages to port to though versus just one

6. JasperHawkins

JasperHawkins Celestial
    Loyal Legend

--- Post updated ---
    At work so I don't have time to give a whole lot of feedback but I think the number one change that should be made is that ocean Villages should be reverted back to needing to be taken by a boat or battle spikes.

7. streaml1ne

streaml1ne Wildtribe Mage
    Loyal Legend

Like, get that sea content going again.

8. Ibis

Ibis Dire Zombie
    Staff Member Game Master

How do you feel about making villages have a single, fixed reward (e.g Alhali is worth 50k), sent to the party leader, or arriving in some other way? The advantage of this is the ability to control loot output, which creates a more level playing field overall. Zerging remains an option, but the reward would be smaller. Conversely, a single risk-taker can attempt to take the full loot reward. This also fixes alt abuse.

This is my own point of view
    My thought about this issue is not to punish team/party play(smaller parties)

but rather punish the mass alt usage and zergs
    Villages would have a pool of reward "rolls"
    Put in a max limit of rewards rolls you have such as make it tier based if you have 1 to 6 rolls
    rolls = how many different rewards you can get from the loot table for the village
    3 rolls = 3 different items like large map, key, q5 bile thats 3 rolls, each item have its own set of rules for how many of the item you get which wouldn't be affected by anything but RNG

and lets say we put a limit on 6 rolls per player and a pool of 30 rolls
    go solo or go 2-5 in a party to capture villages and you can get the max amount of rolls possible defined by your gear tier
    If you go 6 in a party capture a village you then have 6 guys that need to share the 30 rolls which ends up with 5 rolls granted to you even if you maybe have tier 6 and this is because you are over the softcap on party size for capping villages

If you go 10 guys in a party then each of you will only have 3 rolls granted

This would encourage solo / small scale fights since if you want to make the most out of capping villages then you would stay under the soft cap and each get the most

i feel like if you put a fixed value on villages then you never see smaller parties / solo players trying to go for the high values and you are forcing max sized parties to destroy everyone going near the village
    you would still see big groups go to the low valued just because they can and don't get punished for it

#8 Ibis, Jan 8, 2020
  9. Slayven

Slayven Eodrin
    Legend

Don’t you feel that the damage has already been done though..alt abuse is a thing and has been for a very long time and has contributed to the wrecking of the economy??

10. Billy Lee

Billy Lee Loremaster

Alt abuse has been a problem, you are not wrong. I think fixing these issues is a worthy endeavor, for sure. As for the economy, just keep in mind that the devs have data that displays all gold and items, player averages of these statistics, etc. Adjustments can always be made to strengthen the economy based on this data.

Slayven likes this.
  11. MaxiHori

MaxiHori Akathar

What's the point in giving you feedbacks if you are gonna do it your way anyway?

You are just getting people behind your own ideas, they are gonna agree with you until implemented and blame on you when they will not work.

12. NonFactor

NonFactor Forest Golem
    Wealthy Affluent Legend

green feedback above

make more than ONE vpc live on billboard.

stop WAITINGFALL.

Billy Lee likes this.
  13. Billy Lee

Billy Lee Loremaster

I don't claim to know the best solutions, I just have some ideas based on what I've seen and experienced. Also, I am merely facilitating the discussion, I'm very much here to see what people are interested in.

14. The Red King

The Red King Obsidian Golem
    Loyal Legend

Reserved - will give my 1.00 Worth when I’m home from work.

cause I got a lot to say about this shit!

Slayven and Billy Lee like this.
  15. FirstNameLastNameRpIsCool

FirstNameLastNameRpIsCool Goblin Warrior

To lazy to write anything detailed and this might have been suggested, but this might be something to think about.

- Try to prevent zerging, encourage good fights. Try to scale village rewards somehow (do not mean divide per player, but rather total reward). I.e. amount of people fighting, dying, damage made, gear looted, etc. This one is hard and can be abused with a low pop but should be quite safe with higher pop.

- Scale rewards based on statistics. I.e, start low and keep increasing the loot and announce it until you are happy with the participation.

- Have unique village rewards, i.e, for crafting. Might exist already.

- Chance for high end rewards, people tend to chase them. Cosmetics are often a safe bet not to fuck economy up. Dye tubes/week?

EDIT:
    - Drastically improve skill gain while fights are active at villages. This is a simple suggestion to decrease boring grind and encourage PvP for new comers. I have no comment on the current base skill gain, but this could be seen as fun content you can do to naturally develop your character. Quite abusable.

- Read a book or two in this category:

* I've read it like 10 years ago and from what I understand (from the forums) RoA is breaking a lot of rules/guide lines.

#15 FirstNameLastNameRpIsCool, Jan 8, 2020
    Billy Lee likes this.
  16. Blaze

Blaze Black Knight

1. Do villages feel like a worthwhile opportunity for profit in their current state?

Make it profitable u gonna make people want to go and pvp over it
    2. I have seen many pvpers eager to sell keys and maps, which leads me to believe that many players would prefer pure gold instead of having to sell their rewards. This allows pvpers to earn gold by pvping, and use it to purchase needed goods from crafters. Thoughts?

I like the concept of just pure gold, but its kinda risky because it would over time be an influx of just raw gold into the system, As a player I would rather it be gold and i could buy from people, but at same time I'm not sure if it would have a negative affect on the economy
    3. Do you think announcements of how many players captured a village should be removed? On one hand, this can warn you of a potential zerg, on the other hand, it can discourage you from contesting the village and due to the presence of alts, the zerg may not actually be a zerg at all.

I prefer to know what my odds are like xD keep the number alive! Also numbers can encourage others groups to come fight

4. How do you feel about making villages have a single, fixed reward (e.g Alhali is worth 50k), sent to the party leader, or arriving in some other way? The advantage of this is the ability to control loot output, which creates a more level playing field overall. Zerging remains an option, but the reward would be smaller. Conversely, a single risk-taker can attempt to take the full loot reward. This also fixes alt abuse.

So for pure gold, the best atm for just pure gold is the fire dragon for an hour can get upwards to 60-90k gold plus all the enchanting mats.
      So lets average 120k an hour if u sell all the other goodies from it. (I know you can farm other things worth over 100k but fire dragon is closest to pure gold drops). It takes 10-15 minutes to port to a village and port back. So 15 minutes would equal to about 30k.

Lets say we go with the idea of making it so the party leader gets the gold, make it so small villages give 60k
      1 player caps it 60k gold great reward worth the risk to go solo
      2 player cap it 30k split on par with fire dragon farming definitely worth still
      3 player cap 20k split still fairly good imo 20k for 15mins of your time
      4 player cap 15k split for 15 minutes eh its ok, but you have a higher chance of getting the reward due to numbers
      5 player cap 12k making 1k gold an hour plus safety in numbers

Make larger villages drop 150k
      1 player 150k :O BANK!!!!
      2 player 75k dope
      3 player 50k good
      4 player 37.5k
      5 player 30k
      6 player 25k
      7 player 24.1k
      8 player 18.75k
      9 player 16.6k
      10 player 15k
      11 player 13.6k
      12 player 12.5k
      13 player 11.5k
      14 player 10.7k
      15 player 10k 10kgold, but better odds at winning the fights

For this Idea I would make it so both villages went live at the same time, also would probably change villages to only going live once an hour to keep to much gold coming in,

5. How big of a role do you feel your gear score should play?

If the loot is worthwhile I think a player needs to have tier 4 minimum to get any loot simple as that. Should be easy for most heavies since I think fp r60 gives you tier 4, for mage if they couple metal and good staff should also give T4.

6. What is your opinion on porting to villages from billboards? Should it be embraced completely, removed, or tweaked?

So here is my mindset, From previous post, have two villages go live, one for small scale rewards only scale upwards to 5 people, make it so the larger village is only accessible from the 4 islands billboards , and the smaller village only accessible from the mainland billboards. This is to make it so the small village will be less likely to get zerged down I would hope, and also give some more value to Island holdings.

Billy Lee likes this.
  17. Billy Lee

Billy Lee Loremaster

@Blaze I have considered inflation but the risk of villages can be high and you could instead farm the gold, like you mentioned. Many easy spawns give 15k-20k/hour so the gold is always available to be earned, villages built around gold would give pvpers a means to build their bank and fund their pvp without having to farm as much/at all. I guess what I'm getting at is either way, you stand to make some gold, but villages are much riskier. I like the risk vs reward element. You can play it safe or be greedy. The big groups will tend to go for the high paying villages, leaving the small scale crowd to fight for the other villages. Of course, this is not a rule, you could still bring the zerg to a low tier village but you wouldn't get much gold to split. Last note, pvpers earning gold by pvping, and not being forced to farm, can be a very good thing. With more gold to shop with, the crafters get paid, the pvpers get good quality gear, etc.

Blaze likes this.
  18. NonFactor

NonFactor Forest Golem
    Wealthy Affluent Legend

inflation

19. Dum Dum

Dum Dum Celestial
    Prosperous Wealthy Hero

1 : Not currently worthwhile.. Unless you have a housebind at the village or its on billboard. Nobody is spending time to run to a village for RNG.
    2: Let them take stuff to market it translates to economy better.
    3: Player numbers should be an unknown, thats what spys are for.
    4: A Fixed income would definitely encourage more activity if they were guaranteed a minimum for participating.. Getting a shit Roll in the RNG will make anyone stop going.. Instead of a pure gold reward, you could introduce a different currency that you acquire doing VCP's and can use that currency to buy things on a "Reward Vendor" Could have things like - Enchanted gems -Keys -Maps -Enchanting mats

5: Gear score, reward scaling should be removed IMHO.. Your chances of success are greater if you bring better gear, if your skills allow you to come in a robe and win, then I feel it is your just reward. What gear score really does is negatively effect new players/poor players from getting good rewards.

6: I think all active villages should be able to ported to.. but there should be a limit to the # of players that can port to that village.. when a village goes live.. it should have like 10-15 "charges" first come first serve and maybe each clan should have a limited # of allowed ports per village cycle (every 30 min)

short:
    New Currency -> New reward vendor -> spend currency get stuff you actually want = more fun to win VCP's
    Gear score - Sucks to limit skilled players vs rich players (rich get richer poor stay poor etc )
    Make billboard great again, limited ports per village, limited clan ports to village per 30min

[​IMG]

#19 Dum Dum, Jan 8, 2020
    Not_Primetime, Billy Lee and Blaze like this.
  20. Sorrow Avaritia

Hero

I would like there to be village tiers to try and separate people, to try and give people are more even fight if they go to them.

So you could have villages that only reward a max of 5, 10 and 15 people to try and separate group sizes to give a more balanced fight.

Then you could have villages that go live at the same time and one gives nooby loot (things like scroll, potions, regs, pre crafted gear that help level up your char), one that gives medium loot things that could help you gear in r50s / fp / q3 keens. Then one that gives high end loot. This would help encourage the better players fight each other while giving newer players a place to fight each other.

Could also have the nooby tier not drop loot so they could get a taste and practice in pvp without risking anything. No full loot would also discourage vets.

Billy Lee and Slayven like this.