Welcome to the Rise of Agon Community

Create an account today to engage in discussions and community events on the Rise of Agon forums.

Dev thread Village Feedback Encouraged

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Billy Lee, Jan 8, 2020.

1. NonFactor

NonFactor Forest Golem
    Wealthy Affluent Legend

2. Degamra

Degamra Fire Elemental
    Hero

TERRITORY CONTROL SYSTEM NEEDS TO BE IMPLEMENTED ASAP
    Literally everyone from 'toxic pvpers' to 'soft carebears' are in high demand for it at this point, and we all go ignored it seems.

With that said, once there is TCS, the villages can be made into full time areas of conflict for territory expansion, similar to UW. This would give people stuff to fight over and act as clan conquesting in between actual sieiging. It should take at least 15minutes to capture, so clans who's territory it is have time to retaliate for their lands. Perhaps something along the lines of creating a baby siege stone looking thing, you can approach the village bindstone thing and open up the Use-GUI, similar to adding to a runebook, where it gives you an option to "Claim Land", if you hit yes, the "Territory Stone" (looks like a small siege stone) leaves your inventory and grows right on top of the village bindstone. You must now defend this village for 15m or whatever, unless another clan comes and destroys the "Territory Stone" with spikes/cannons/siege hammers, at which point it will remain in the name of whoever already owned it prior...and if a 3rd party shows up, perhaps add a way they can piggyback the village if there is still time remaining on the 15m capture timer, and they have destroyed the current stone, and now replaced it with their own, to run out the remaining capture time and claim it for themselves. Just convert small siege stones into territory stones since they're essentially useless since the introduction of mediums.

TLDR; game needs TCS, and villages should be intertwined in that as their overhaul

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
    Mea Kulpa and Slayven like this.
  3. Slayven

Slayven Eodrin
    Legend

Mini sieges if you will I honestly thought something like this was the focus.

raiding and mini sieges for conquest.

4. Scrapnotcrap

Scrapnotcrap Eodrin
    Loyal Hero

Man, i can't wait for this patch. I long for some good village rewards.

The Red King likes this.
  5. Jathen

Jathen Goblin Warrior

I agree that villages need to be rolled up into a larger territory rework. As is they are just boring content. Stand around and wack a stone for some money? Surly it can be more meaningful and engaging.

6. Neilk

Neilk Web Development & System Admin
    Staff Member Team Lead

There has been no stone whacking involved in villages for years now.

7. aparks

aparks Obsidian Golem
    Legend

I think both old and new system should be mixed. Players should still be able to battle spike, hammer, or cannon down a village stone or play they waiting king of the hill game. This would put value back into spikes, hammers, and ships.

with that said the reward tier system sucks. Because mages have to wear damn near dragon to cap at highest tier. If villages are worth while than it shouldn’t matter what gear a player has because the village will be contested and the better player wearing better gear should always win vs someone in bone/full plate and r60 gear.

basically: merge old and new village capping system. Remove gear tiers for rewards.

as for loot I’m happy with whatever.

trade routes need more love though like double the current rewards.

80% of mobs need better drops. I’d help test them all @Andrew since I alread have an NDA

Scrapnotcrap likes this.
  8. quietnoobz

quietnoobz Chosen of Khamset

Loot is trash. Revamp loot. Make it like olden days siege hammer battle Spike cannon the stone down. Only players who damage and win the village receive loot. Requires each player to deal dmg actively to stone. Minimizes alt abuse or increases risk vs reward. Tier setup is fine

Scrapnotcrap and Geezy like this.
  9. Geezy

Geezy Fire Elemental
    Wealthy Loyal Supporter

+1. Need to turn village capping into an active system again, instead of a passive system that not only allows but encourages alts. The pad idea was pretty cool, but it's not really in the spirit of Darkfall/RoA, is it? Throwing spikes, swinging Siege hammers, or firing away with ship cannons to 'conquer' the village stone seems more in line imo.

Edit: Maybe even keep the pad system for some mainland villages, with reduced loot? Make them more newbie friendly perhaps, so that they can go get involved in village capping as well before graduating to the big leagues.

10. The Red King

The Red King Black Knight
    Loyal Legend

As much as I like the new system. The old system made you pve for battlespikes and you got something when you killed someone. You really need to put the rewards back on the player on all lawless vcps.

You should also go the df route and give rewards based on houses that are built and still in good standing. This helped offset the amount of gold coming into the economy.

This will promote players to build houses as the rewards will be worth it.

11. Volfen

Volfen Celestial
    Loyal Legend

Everyone I knew that went to villages would generally macro with a siege hammer naked because no one contested villages with counted exceptions, so it being an active system is very relative. There was a slight chance of running into people on a boat on villages near water though which was nice.

Methodico, Neilk and Blaze like this.
  12. Brian Badonde

Brian Badonde Goblin Scout
    Loyal

I have not done enough RoA villages to make a wortgwhile judgement on spikes vs pads.

The issue with the old system for me is how fast you could spike the stone down.

But with regards to your description of village pvp - hundreds of DF vids featuring village pvp would dispute that!

I for one had the best small and medium scale pvp for many years at villages.

Villages were a conduit for small scale pvp groups to meet up. Not primarily for loot but 'for the fights'.

My group capped thoysands of villages. I dont remember ever seeing siege hammers, I am 100% certain I was never naked and I remember a lot of pvp.
    --- Post updated ---
    Speaking more generally on villages.

I think it would be great if they were repurposed in the TC content.

The issue with incentiving through loot is that loot is available through other means. Then you are left with incentivisung with excessive loot, which harms the economy, esoecially if they are uncontested or 'altable'.

I think vilages need to reward with something other and unique. I dont know what that should be but to throw an example out there. This is not thought through of course but privides an example of the sirt of repurposing im suggesting.

If cities had some sort of maintenance on their nodes and towers and walls people would be firced to attend, resulting in fun pvp.

It would also make it mire challenging for clans to own too many holdings.

You could also have wars of attrition where you starve your enemy of msuntenance points, watch tgeir walls crumble and sige costs lower before you drop on them.

Possibly billages close to your city reward more points, increasing the feeling of territiry cobtrol and local ownership.

But you would also need to create a secondary incentuve for city less players. Maybe the points could come in the form of a chip that can be sold on the AH.

There are endless possibilities. This is just off the top of my head. But you get the jist.

A whole repurposing of villages in the TC patch.

Forget pads vs spikes and how much loot. Think big.

Make villages exclusive and mandatory for TC.
    Make pve exclusive and mandatory for wealth and gear. And you will see a massive rise in open world actuvity and conflict.

One of DFs enduring problems is everything offering tge same reward, city nodes, pvp, villages, sea towers - all just offering loot abd rare mats.

#72 Brian Badonde, Jan 28, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2020
  13. Jack_Bauer

Jack_Bauer Akathar
    Wealthy Legend

I used to cap villages all day every day with spikes and get tons of pvp. Now I don’t even bother because there is never anyone at villages or there is 10 people and you can’t fight them. Plus the loot is complete trash. What a waste

The Red King likes this.
  14. quietnoobz

maybe a ring of 'attack area' around stone, requires within small space while actively dmging it, to receive credit, winners need to each apply their own damage, use tier system, require active and cannot be hiding in a house due to being obligated in being in ring-area around stone during capture, making potential alts vulnerable and using tier system and also following classic dfo system

15. Volfen

Volfen Celestial
    Loyal Legend

I had tons of village PVP in RoA as well when population was better. My point is, people going to villages for PVP is a virtue of the game not being dead and not whether there is one capping system or the other (in fact, people almost always wore better gear in RoA VCPs because of the tier system, even bringing armor they won't use for the fights but just for the cap itself). When population levels felt similar in DFO to what they are now in RoA, there definitely was little PVP to be had at villages.

Absolutely!

16. Wizzy

Wizzy Undead Dwarf
    Patron Contributor

Villages have gone through several iterations, results have been mixed. I'd like to hear your feedback on what you like and dislike about competing for villages, and what can be improved. Here are some points of interest to discuss, but feel free to present new ideas.

1. Do villages feel like a worthwhile opportunity for profit in their current state? I think they are profitable and a good added bit to leave in the game. Its a go to for pvp or to get some rewards with a risk
    2. I have seen many pvpers eager to sell keys and maps, which leads me to believe that many players would prefer pure gold instead of having to sell their rewards. This allows pvpers to earn gold by pvping, and use it to purchase needed goods from crafters. Thoughts? I personally like the chance at items but Id rather get resource containers with a chance to get ANYTHING. I think the draw to them is the not knowing what you will get,but at the same time all gold would make it easier and i could buy whatever i wanted with the gold. Resource containers would be my want.
    3. Do you think announcements of how many players captured a village should be removed? On one hand, this can warn you of a potential zerg, on the other hand, it can discourage you from contesting the village and due to the presence of alts, the zerg may not actually be a zerg at all. Remove the count of how many people are doing them. All this does is drive away people from trying them if they dont have enough to fight the total number of the last cap ...OR....a group will bring way more to be able to brute force the number on the last cap (with the draw being "we get the rewards and gear bags")..which is lame that zerging down a group rewards you in two ways.
    4. How do you feel about making villages have a single, fixed reward (e.g Alhali is worth 50k), sent to the party leader, or arriving in some other way? The advantage of this is the ability to control loot output, which creates a more level playing field overall. Zerging remains an option, but the reward would be smaller. Conversely, a single risk-taker can attempt to take the full loot reward. This also fixes alt abuse. I wouldnt change this at all- leave the distribution the way it is
    5. How big of a role do you feel your gear score should play? I believe it should play the largest roll, as the risk reward is everything. I would greatly increase the rewards from higher level gear ...BUT, something needs to be fixed to keep people from porting in alts and putting them in dragon and making 100k off a cap with no risk (hiding in a house). Not sure how to stop this from happening
    6. What is your opinion on porting to villages from billboards? Should it be embraced completely, removed, or tweaked? Leave, without the port I do not believe many villages will ever be capped because riding 30 min to 45 min out to a way off VCP isnt worth getting 10k in items/gold. I think porting to VCP's should be ALL from any board also. IMO, being in my clan city or sang does not change the outcome of anything as long as all villages flag you appropriately. I think VCP's should be the "end game" type (think red ) thing in the game and should not be any for blue/yelllow stuff...when someone does it in a blue city there should be a message that comes up and confirms "you are about to port to a unlawful area which can result in losing all items" with a confirm or decline.

17. quietnoobz

i don't think you've done villages lately, wizzy. they're worthless

Jack_Bauer and BeatIt like this.
  18. rikilii

rikilii Celestial

I've been capping board villages one after another for the last few days, and nobody ever shows up. Well maybe someone shows up once every 10 or 15 caps.

The reward is too random and in most cases is barely worth the time. In the 5-10 minutes it takes to cap a village, I could just as easily kill a mob that yields three times the loot value, with no real risk.

Also, how hard is it to take cotton and rawhide drops that aren't used for anything, off the loot table? Simply replacing that with timber/ore drops would probably make the villages worthwhile.

19. BeatIt

BeatIt Eodrin
    Loyal Legend

they gonna fix villages soon

Methodico, The Red King and Billy Lee like this.
  20. The Red King

The Red King Black Knight
    Loyal Legend

Why would anyone go to lawful when its capped at 3 and the most you are going to get is offhand R40 stuff? Put the loot back on the player so there is incentive to go to some lawful vcps. New players get free pvp and they just lose their reward. I do want them to put all the weapons on the paper doll so a new players only loses whats in his bag - no gear. There needs to be some risk of losing something otherwise its not Darkfall. Losing the rewards would be at least something to get the adrenaline pumping!.

Hopefully they will go back to the three ports to lawless vcps so we can get some small scale pvp! with some good rewards that are capped that don't ruin the economy like alts due

#80 The Red King, Feb 6, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2020