Welcome to the Rise of Agon Community

Create an account today to engage in discussions and community events on the Rise of Agon forums.

what are your settings?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by rulesdontapply, Oct 29, 2017.

1. rulesdontapply

rulesdontapply Goblin Warrior
    Supporter

So I recently moved overseas for an extended period not long enough for me to buy a PC, so I decided to buy a 'gaming' laptop (don't worry, not an alienware).

I don't know too much about computers honestly, but I am damn sure my computer should be able to run this stone aged game pretty well..

The specs are
    i7 7700 @ 2.80Ghz
    16 GB Ram
    GTX 1080Ti

I put pretty much everything on low, no shadows, no vegetation density etc, but I don't know shit about shaders and that kind of thing.

When I get pungent misted for example, i get heavy fps lag and it becomes unplayable. Anywhere that there is a decent amount of spell animations my fps just seems to drop, even if theres 2 or 3 people around.

Anyone who knows their shit have any advice?

2. RootedOak

RootedOak Oak Lord
    Legend

how the fuck are you running a 7700 at 2.8ghz? You mean that's the non-boosted clock speed or you downclocked?

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
    Circa and Fengor like this.
  3. rulesdontapply

Supporter

uhh, no thats just how it came hah so I guess its the 'non-boosted clock speed?' I have absolutely no idea about this kind of shit, so if you have some advice please please ;)

4. RootedOak

RootedOak Oak Lord
    Legend

So if you actually didn't do anything to it to downclock the speed (really strange thing to do). Then the base is 3.6ghz, but it automatically turbos to 4.2ghz.

Unless it's a 7700k which is 4.2ghz base and 4.5ghz turbo.

The way that modern CPUs work, when they're in a passive mode, opening webpages and shit, you're going to see a lower clock speed (such as 2.8ghz). The old days of CPUs running at full tilt is over, this is for heat and energy consumption reasons. So I"m guessing you just didn't know where to get the clock speed info.
    --- Post updated ---
    So to answer your question:

Pungent Mist is a purely GPU based animation. So something has to be up with your drivers. There was a new driver version on October 22nd, so I'd check to see if you got that. Actually before you do that, I would recommend deleting all your Nvidia drivers, you can do this by closing all programs, then go to the control panel, navigate to the Apps & Features tab, find Nvidia Graphics Driver, then if after you uninstall it, there are any remaining Nvidia products in that list, uninstall them. Following that uninstall process, go to this website to reinstall them fresh:

http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx
    --- Post updated ---
    It's also possible that your CPU's integrated graphics were accidentally selected by default to run all the graphics instead of your GPU, this can happen if you plugged your monitor into the wrong port. I made this picture for you to illustrate this:
    [​IMG]

Fengor and Neilk like this.
  5. rulesdontapply

Supporter

Really appreciate all that,
    I'm actually playing on a laptop, so no monitor.
    I thought I had the latest drivers when I was playing before, but I will update and give it another shot.

I just get my info from right clicking 'this computer' and going properties. When I launch a game for example, should my clock speed show higher on this page? Because it doesn't.

Thanks again man.

6. RootedOak

RootedOak Oak Lord
    Legend

ooookay, so a laptop uses completely different CPUs than a Desktop. That explains that 2.8ghz CPU, which is probably exactly that.

As for the GPU, now I've got to research to see how the fuck a 1080 ti is inside a laptop.

7. Neilk

Neilk Web Development & System Admin
    Staff Member Team Lead

I've got a i7-7700k (4.2GHz) and GTX 1060 in my laptop I use it to stream.

@rulesdontapply

It sounds like your laptop may be using the integrated graphics card instead of the 1080 ti like @RootedOak has said.

RootedOak likes this.
  8. rulesdontapply

Supporter

Sorry guys,
    Appears I actually have a

NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1060 with 6GB GDDR5

Heres a link to the exact laptop if it helps at all... Either way, i really should be having no performance issues with Darkfall right?

http://www.dell.com/au/p/inspiron-15-7577-laptop/pd?oc=a511071au&model_id=inspiron-15-7577-laptop

9. RootedOak

RootedOak Oak Lord
    Legend

Correct, there's something wrong, like a setting for which GPU you're using or the driver.

Try right clicking the Desktop, then select the Nvidia Control Panel option. Then select "Manage 3D Settings" from the left side menu. In the Global Settings tab, select the drop down menu for CUDA - GPUs. Then select your Nvidia 1060.

Doing this in Global will make all applications run off of the GPU, which may cause more power consumption and heat (fans revving up when you're not playing games). You can instead set up each game to run the Nvidia GPU in the Program Settings tab rather than Global Settings. So that each game will use the GPU when you launch it, but other things such as your desktop, or Chrome will run off of the Intel integrated.

Cool hwip and KingLlama like this.
  10. gatorsmash

gatorsmash Crypt Guard
    Legend

what settings are you trying to run? what's your FPS? and PING?

don't mess with the 3d settings just yet or your going to make things worse.

Both those CPU-GPU are mobile versions which are going to be lower volted, throttled versions. You are going to need to elevate the notebook at an angle with a notebook cooler/block just to make sure your 1060 doesnt throttle during gaming which you cant turn off anymore in Windows.

Right click your left corner Windows icon, select device manager, open up the GPU, make sure the 1060 is listed and there are no ?s on the list. i7's will not run the GPU on the chipset if you have a GPU installed by default

11. KingLlama

KingLlama Infernal
    Supporter Lifetime

This is the fix. Hes know his shit!

RootedOak likes this.
  12. Neilk

Neilk Web Development & System Admin
    Staff Member Team Lead

13. Cool hwip

Cool hwip Deadeye
    Hero

edit quoted wrong post at first.

And here is a video showing exactly how to do it if that is easier for you. I would almost guarantee this is the problem.

RootedOak likes this.
  14. amygolberg

amygolberg New Member

Your laptop is a monster! You should be able to run any game without any problems. I'm surprised you're having problems at all. Maybe it's the game and not the device? Have you tried something else? If not, check it out before blaming it on a great laptop

15. Carnage

Carnage New Member

All max setting on the type of the full ray of control.

16. AdamDMC

AdamDMC Gravelord
    Supporter

I play on a laptop. make sure you are not running the game with your integrated gfx card my dude

17. Frog

Frog Black Knight
    Loyal Hero