Welcome to the Rise of Agon Community

Create an account today to engage in discussions and community events on the Rise of Agon forums.

What community thinks would bring more population

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Galian, Jul 14, 2017.

?

What do you think that would bring more players to RoA?

1. Bug fixes, and UI improvements

31 vote(s)
    17.9%
  2. Aligment system revamp

48 vote(s)
    27.7%
  3. Proffesion specialization

44 vote(s)
    25.4%
  4. Loot Table revamp

22 vote(s)
    12.7%
  5. Tune combat skills

36 vote(s)
    20.8%
  6. Armor and weapon dye mechanics

12 vote(s)
    6.9%
  7. Deployable vendors

10 vote(s)
    5.8%
  8. Add more content (sand in the box)

147 vote(s)
    85.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. kilrain

kilrain Shadow Knight
    Staff Member Developer Team Lead

I'm not going to comment on this other than to say that it's wrong to think we listen to one crowd more than another.

Starting a community outrage over an individuals alleged actions is a witch hunt. We don't allow that. It's pretty simple really.

2. davick

davick Goblin Warlord

As you said, ND is going that direction and the loudest opponents to that are quiet now. I guess they realized they actually are the only ones who want a game like RoA currently is.

Personally I think RoA needs to go a different direction. Make the world smaller and add instanced pvp that still forces you in the world for materials for the arena.

Kwatos likes this.
  3. Truedon

Truedon Spellgazer

A fucking race change.

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
    Kwatos, gosti and Battle Smurf like this.
  4. RootedOak

RootedOak Oak Lord
    Legend

I had to scroll up to make sure that wasn't kilrath, but I wasn't surprised.
    --- Post updated ---
    Also, I didn't vote in this poll because the options were poorly made.

Scrubby Bear likes this.
  5. Mycke

Mycke Obsidian Golem

This, though many players and devs dont want to admit it, this.

1. Stop catering to those who want complex meta they have mastered so they can stomp everyone.
    2. Add ways for anti PKs to play such a style so vets can protect noobs
    3. Get professional, the just deleting and discord/forum banning to hide issues doesnt breed confidence, deal with problems head on and in the open or lose trust.

Kwatos, Zeiken and Rocky like this.
  6. SenseiSpades

SenseiSpades Celestial
    Tester

Name a change since launch that benefitted noobs outside of course bug fixes when they died to their own NPC city zap towers (sadly after bind stone recalling most likely with alot of loot on them). Dungeons in noob areas outside of the cap city are now FFA and mounts have less HP. However, mounts are now easier to kill, and there isnt a incentive to stay blue other than the kindness of peoples soul, which is a bit lack luster since the playerbase loves to slit its own throat and blame the knife.

We will agree to disagree on the alledged "witch hunt" term, perhaps if employees of BPG werent in the clan, members of the clan self admitting to hacking in all previous dfo iterations before in that very thread, live stream footage of those same individuals saying the same thing, 2 videos showing those same people in that same clan shooting rays out of a tree and openly running around with thousands of battle spikes in that same thread. Ya man, totally a "witch hunt". Making the playerbase out to be the fanatical witch hunters does nothing but hurt credibility.

I'm all for those threads being deleted, I'm totally against using such terms to describe the people posting videos in hopes of action against those same people who have literally self admitted to doing those same type of behaviors if not worse in the previous Darkfall iterations. To me, and I'm sure others, that is mind blowing.
    --- Post updated ---
    Letting the player base bicker amongst one another is fruitless and just breeds animosity. Mod should lock, state they will be looking into the issue and will take immediate action against those accused if allegation is proven true. imo best way to handle it.

#166 SenseiSpades, Jul 17, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2017
    Kwatos, Zeiken, WithoutShame and 3 others like this.
  7. RootedOak

RootedOak Oak Lord
    Legend

They should ban the people that falsely accuse people of cheating. It's way more common to be falsely accused than actual cheating. It's also bad for the game to allow them to stay around gun shy every time they die.

Would clean up the riff raff.

Oresmacker and Scrubby Bear like this.
  8. Madmatt

Madmatt Deadeye
    Hero

You have a wife that prepares food???? That's still a thing? Where the f*** can I find one of those?

Kwatos likes this.
  9. kilrain

kilrain Shadow Knight
    Staff Member Developer Team Lead

Regardless of the definition of witch hunt, we also don't allow accusations on the forums. It's standard practice.

1) Hit protection allows the inexperienced "noob" to fight their goblins without someone jumping in front of their attacks with the intent to cause rogue and kill them.
    2) The removal of racial wars, as disgruntled as many are about it, prevents vets from one race going to another race to kill noobs freely w/o punishment.
    3) Mount ownership was created to prevent noobs from getting their mounts stolen. We'll be adding in hit protection as a prevention for taking someone else's owned mount to stop people from getting killed accidentally; an oversight on my part.
    4) Killing clan members causes rogue. This change was implemented to prevent new players from being suckered into a clan only to be bind camped until they were able to leave the clan. Now that NPC cities have an actual area of influence (city limit) we can look at changing this to only work within those cities limits.
    5) NPC guard tower damage increase. less grief to the noobs.
    6) Healing reds causing rogue - for everyone.
    7) Tutorial, which can and will get more improvements.
    8) Newbie protected players can ride mounts.
    9) Mount speed increase makes it easier for noobs to escape

Probably more, but I need to get back to work :D

Also there are a lot of ideas that would benefit new players and those that are not PVP focused being brought to the table. The delay on them is that they're pretty drastic and need to be approached with caution. Many of which I'll make sure get discussion created for asap.

10. SenseiSpades

SenseiSpades Celestial
    Tester

I did say since launch, and fixing exploitable mechanics one would assume, either way, are you saying that new players aren't being driven away generally speaking by people who harass them, is it not an issue?

To each their own, we will see how everything plays itself out in the next upcoming months, believe me, I want to be wrong as much as you want me to be wrong.

Also note, I openly said that those type of accusatory posts should not exist to begin with, however saying the sky isn't blue insults everyone's intelligence when irrefutable proof is all over the place.

Kwatos likes this.
  11. Rukus98

Rukus98 Goblin Scout
    Hero

Except in this case we're malnourished. We don't give a fuck if you give us a side salad, at least we're not going to die from starvation. Get it?
    --- Post updated ---
    You're a lost cause if you think this game is going to appeal to new players. This game needs to retain veteran players by giving them shit to do.

Kwatos likes this.
  12. RootedOak

RootedOak Oak Lord
    Legend

Every iteration of Darkfall is some big bitchfest from you.

Scrubby Bear likes this.
  13. SenseiSpades

SenseiSpades Celestial
    Tester

Coming from you, that's ripe.

14. Battle Smurf

Battle Smurf Oak Lord
    Legend

Needs both actually

Without at least a small steady increase of newbies every month the game is doomed anyway

The problem is the game lacks STRUCTURE and incentives for SOME "pro" veterans to not only LET newbies grow into something worth killing but to actually teach them and clan them

Kwatos, Zeiken, WithoutShame and 2 others like this.
  15. Rukus98

Rukus98 Goblin Scout
    Hero

I agree that it needs both, I just don't think it's likely that they will attract and retain new players. I don't think it's worth their limited resources to make that even close to a primary focus. There is a large force of players that already want to play this game, the focus should be on attracting and retaining them so there isn't a 15 year old hump to overcome.

16. Mycke

Mycke Obsidian Golem

Having first hand observed a completely different style I can say it seems more effective. That style is move to off topic allow discussion until decision is made and either post something like 'nothing wrong seen here by us' or 'we agree that is x and the person has been banned(warned)" with no locks and no hides.

My personal observation is this method is far more effective because people see exactly what someone was busted for and they were busted so others tend to try things less in such an environment, where if its suppressed it gives those who bend the rules confidence they will get away with it and thats a cancer we should all know from early DFO.

17. MWTaylor

MWTaylor Community Manager
    Staff Member BPG Representative Game Designer

To be fair Spades, a lot of our development resources the first two months after launch were addressing issues and challenges that arose that we did not plan for. Now we can finally focus on the things we are excited to develop, much of which caters to new players and those who enjoy things outside of PvP. This whole perception that we listen to one crowd over any other is simply not true either, especially since we have many people on the team that are not "die-hard leet PvPers" who enjoy things like PvE, exploring, role playing, and even sitting down at a tavern playing mini-games with others.

As to your comment on people being driven away because their opinions do not follow suit with others and they in turn get harassed, I would agree with you on that to an extent. It puts us in a tough situation too, because when we DO moderate we get accused of censorship and favoritism, when the reality is we try our best to be as fair and balanced as we can be. However, our design discussions and the other things we have planned to gather feedback from you guys are designed to allow everyone's opinions to be heard. This includes when we poll our community in-game and out-of-game.

The only other comment I want to make is in regards to your statement on my post on "witch hunts". We will not keep threads open that accuse people of wrong doing, which is something that is common practice in most games out there. One of the big reasons for this is many times the evidence or accusations turn out to be false after a lot of internal investigation is done. Allowing people to sit in a thread and throw accusations at one another and give their opinion on slowed down videos or .gif snippets does no one any good and we will no longer tolerate it on our forums. The upcoming "Wall of Shame" will create more transparency in what punishments get divvied out to individuals, and if people have further concerns with that they can go through the proper process and submit a support ticket.

18. Mycke

Mycke Obsidian Golem

I think this is far more important for the health of the game than people realize.

Mea Kulpa likes this.
  19. ArrowExpert

ArrowExpert Chosen of Khamset
    Hero

lmao 140 votes to content. Im out till this game improves

Kwatos and Zeiken like this.
  20. Sethisto

Sethisto Goblin Shaman

The big issue I see is getting people back even if they do fix what made people quit. That newbie experience was just terrible. I joined with a bunch of people and while a few ran into the bugs and NPC city ganks, most just quit because the game feels awful at the beginning. Characters are slow moving, mounts and animations feel stiff and buggy, most race models are beyond ugly (do elves seriously need to look like they are pissed 24/7?) You get used to it after a few days of play, but half of them didn't get that far.

Once you survive that and you start playing, it's really just a grinder. That's going to kill another part of the base. The game needs a PVE overhaul BAD, something to make it more fun. I shouldn't delve into dungeons and find... just more world mob spawns. There should be bosses with special loot, things that make it feel less like every camp is the same thing with slightly harder monsters. City invasions, more group stuff, roaming things, anything to make it interesting.

The ones that survive that end up in a PVP game where it takes 20 minutes to find pvp, and 90% of it is one-sided, either some red ganking a half dead guy or your guild raiding a city with one guy in leather.

When you finally find that awesome pvp the game shines, but it requires a 30 minute journey and a tiny chance of actually happening when you get there. All this because someone somewhere has huge issues with people being able to quickly travel in DF. That's the end there for newbs like me. I bashed through everything above, but can't bring myself to dedicate so much time just to running places for a chance at good pvp. There should be way more incentive to siege and easier ways to get around to pvp hotspots. This game was originally based on a game that let anyone teleport anywhere at any time in 3 seconds, and it worked beautifully.

Why are runestones super rare drop and so limited? Why does teleporting take 45 seconds? You have precedent of an open travel system with contested objectives working great way back in 1999. There was no sitting around with our thumbs up our asses in Ultima. If we wanted PvP we opened a portal and were there in 3 seconds. Even faction siege style PVP functioned fine with this. Slap some 20 minute stat loss in there to stop people from zerging a siege down. This adds a penalty AFTER getting some action and dying as opposed to the current system of penalties before it even begins via 30 minute travel times. I don't understand why DF, a game with so much potential to be a modern day sandbox pvp mecha, shoots itself in the foot with these insane travel times.