Welcome to the Rise of Agon Community

Create an account today to engage in discussions and community events on the Rise of Agon forums.

What if we did this for launch?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Franchise, Mar 2, 2017.

1. Franchise

Franchise Fire Elemental
    Supporter

So what if for launch you spawned all player's in one section of the map while locking access to the other sections. let's say we start with the human NPC cities then after a week or two you unlocked the alfar land's area and a week or two or maybe longer you released another section of the map slowly giving full access to the map.

This would centralize all player's on launch at the beginning giving the effect of over populated or insane activity. The NPC cities would be outrageously filled. Constant fighting over mob spawns and strategic plans on conquering the next area to be released.

Another idea for capping a city would be a channeling timer. If someone tries to cap a city, if no one else tries to cap the city within 2 hours(open variable) they capture the city. But if another clan attempt's to capture the same city within that 2 hours. a siege is activated for control over the city. This would be great for the launch of the game so it instantly start's large scale battle's while player's character's are not completely developed and cities are not taken without putting up a fight.

I think this could really be thought out to be a cool storyline for role player's or turn into a type of faction of races. Everyone could start as human's but as you attempt to capture a holding It change's your whole clan to the race who's region the holding is in. This last part is a long shot and way ahead of itself. But figured I would at least get the communities opinion.

#1 Franchise, Mar 2, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2017
  2. Quin Tessence

Quin Tessence Black Knight
    Legend

I don't see the phrase "over populated" as a good thing.

Scarsity of resources is what drives PvP, You cannot force PVP on people by limiting what they have avalable.

This kind of thinking is what UW tried and ended up with a launch no one could play for the first week because everyone spawned on-top of each other. Removing Clan shards from vendors and making them craft-able items, or removing holdings until a greater population is reached would fair a little better to throttle resources.

Super nodes should really be taken out of the game or limited 1 per city.

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
    Kwatos, Nat, Fengor and 2 others like this.
  3. Franchise

Franchise Fire Elemental
    Supporter

I think removing reagent cost and increasing low tier drops would solve the problem you are speaking of with no resources. But scarcity is definitely what drives PVP. Giving everyone a spawn to farm at the beginning for countless hours will make anyone who isn't cut out or the grind... bored of the grind. I'm here to tell you if you are not interrupted at least every 20 min from farming there is too many spawn's or not enough player's. A character grind itself should not be hard. But it should be hard to consistently level up your character without inference.

#3 Franchise, Mar 2, 2017
  4. helgrik

helgrik Infernal
    Legend

GMs should give me the power to block all nondwarves from taking any city in the precious dwarflands. Kvit and skogul belong to dwarves.

5. Franchise

Franchise Fire Elemental
    Supporter

Sound's like you have your world domination strategy right there.

6. Lakisuria_Moonglade

Lakisuria_Moonglade Varangian Warthane
    Legend

Honestly would be interesting to see racial holdings for mainland imo. Maybe incentives for same race clans. Would love to see a shit ton of elven archers on the walls to some city or a lineup of dwarves duking it out in the mountains. Although the game isn't really currently designed for such mechanics nor is it really in depth enough to warrant such restrictions.

Hope to see the game progress to where each racial land is beloved and treasured in their own right and able to support their own populated activities.

Racial mainland and arac outlands seem like an interesting concept to me nonetheless. Then of course you got your lawless center of agon.

Nat likes this.
  7. DarkGhost25

DarkGhost25 Black Knight
    Loyal Contributor Hero

I'd just like to be able to start in any npc city i want. I'm going ork but i don't really want to start in ork lands since my buddies will be in other racial lands.

8. DeadlyHit

DeadlyHit Chosen of Khamset
    Legend

Sounds like a lot of unnecessary dev time for something not that good.

Scrubby Bear, Nat and Finnad like this.
  9. Nightmare UDL

Nightmare UDL Celestial
    Legend

If you want to keep this game to last you need to stop slaughtering the random bluebie who rides in front of you.

The blue vs red really needs to work. They need more benefits to stay blue so this doesn't happen.

They need to have a faction system or forever wars where the pvpers get their share of pvp so they don't get bored.

If you think a new player will have any chance at beating a vet it's just not going to happen unless he goes through some serious training.

I feel this is much more important imo. The blue will get slaughtered then quit, that creates the domino effect of x guy doesn't log so the next guys quits cause now he has nobody to play with, rinse and repeat.

Kwatos, Super Star and Fengor like this.
  10. Skotemo

Skotemo Akathar
    Hero

I want to start by saying I don't disagree with what you are saying here, but we need to look at the whole problem. Part of it is that we need meaningful reasons for red vs blue and rewards/drawbacks and the other part is the time it takes to put together a viable standard bag. If people can re-gear up in a viable set of gear/weapons with minimal down-time they are much more likely to stick around.

We as vets take 40+ minutes to put together the current "standard" bag for pvp in a very low populated version of DF. Add time for a new player who doesn't really know the ropes and add time for it being more populated and you're quickly going to see multiple hours to make the current standard gear. Newer players (especially ones not hardcore fans like us) are not going to waste 2 hours time doing tedium just to go back out and get steamrolled by vets. People quit when they can't compete. The only metrics we have to show that is character progression and gear grind. If you make one of these too slow or to hard to do people will quit. It's really not easy at all to balance this and get it "just right" for the most people, but its as important as anything else in the game.

I don't think making the standard version we have now should be easier rather that the standard for pvp should be less there should be a real benefit to wearing high end stuff, but a dude in a bone set with a haste staff and a R40 should be able to gear up as a new player in 15-20 minutes and back out and fight a reasonable amount of people in the game provided they are progressed enough and have the skill. right now even with the robe combat its not viable without R50/R60 GS and a Blackbolt or higher not to mention pots/food/jewelry (add in anything else with tedium here).

The lowest end "viable" set should involve no enchanting mats or rare ores or very very limited enchanting mats and rare ores and allow people to gear up after just gathering and crafting with basic materials. anything past that should require you to skin mobs and gather enchanting mats.

R40 should be the base gear in darkfall This gear/set should have everything you need IE Arcane Resist, or make other jewelry at a lower tier that has lesser arcane, base food should be 5 minutes not 2. R40 two-handed weapons shouldn't put you at such a disadvantage against someone with R60 that you're better off not even pulling it out and just using a staff... R40/basic materials should be "just good enough" and provide you with everything you need wearing higher end should give added protections/benefits to everything.

The game right now makes you farm for the top 10% of the materials in the game just to make a mediocre bag.

#10 Skotemo, Mar 2, 2017
    Kwatos and Nightmare UDL like this.
  11. Wes Furtive

Wes Furtive Obsidian Golem
    Legend

Can't take away people's freedoms at launch man :) We don't want a centralized population at launch. Some people want to quickly get as far away from everyone else as they can so they can develop in relative peace.

And I feel you on the city-capping cause it sucks if someone beats you to the city you want but realistically I think it's good for the game. This ensures a lot of holdings get captured very quickly and it's kind of a soft window before the real wars start because everyone establishes themselves in their "territory" before anyone is siege capable.

12. Skotemo

Skotemo Akathar
    Hero

It is also "the great race" and forces people to go hard to grab something worthwhile. competition is a good thing

13. DarkGhost25

DarkGhost25 Black Knight
    Loyal Contributor Hero

Don't forget about player vendors in npc cities. Players will be able to buy entire gear bags in a click or two, provided the merchant has incentives to sell it. You should be able to farm for a few hours, liquidate your stuck quickly and then buy some gear bags. It should be very convenient. More exotic gear bags will take more effort, but if people pay well I imagine merchants will offer such wares.

14. Clarence Swamptown

Clarence Swamptown Black Knight
    Legend

I agree. It needs to work both ways tho, in the sense that it needs to be hard to go back blue, I think it's a bit too easy now. I'm 100% for newbies and non pvpers to be blue and get the benefits from it, but with the current system there is gonna be straight up pkers that are gonna be blue almost all the time.

15. Skotemo

Skotemo Akathar
    Hero

Yeah I totally feel you here. They are or already have seriously dropped the amount of raw gold that you're going to get in the game, and it's going to be that much harder to do this. It's not any less tedium searching through merchants to put together the equipment you need to make bags or buy an entire bag at a steep price doesn't change the problem, it just moves it to a different area.

Slayven likes this.
  16. Franchise

Franchise Fire Elemental
    Supporter

Based on your first paragraph you don't understand games are made to give players conflict so they never get what they want. That's why in league and over watch. Every loss is greater than a win.

I can promise you if players can farm efficiently without constant fighting over spawns. This game will not be succeed like we want it to. It is a structure destined to fail if a open world full loot PvP game allows players to become bored of farming before they are contested by players attempting to kill them or fight them for the spawn.

Kwatos likes this.
  17. DarkGhost25

DarkGhost25 Black Knight
    Loyal Contributor Hero

I suppose the difference is that some people enjoy it and others don't. If there are traders that find the profit worth it, or simply enjoy being a provider of gear bags, everyone wins.

18. Skotemo

Skotemo Akathar
    Hero

This is only true when the person contesting you isn't light-years ahead or a 10 year elite veteran that gives you zero chance to survive. This has happened in every version of darkfall and it's not a game design problem its a community problem. If you are out farming and get jumped and have a reasonable chance to recover its fine, if you're out farming and you have zero chance of survival when you get jumped every 20 minutes people are going to get bored and log off as well.

League is a pretty poor example, most people get more for a win than a loss unless the MMR system thinks you've been carried to your rank. It's gotten to the point that Riot games "soft resets" and tweaks each season and forces the majority of the players back below gold in order to keep them playing for rewards each season. It's been obvious for a while now that they're doing this and it's kinda killing that game slowly. They also make it so the older your account is, the longer it takes you to climb. Took a silver account (around since season2) into promos and won 9 of 10 of them all but last one against masters/challengers and it placed bronze 2 took brand new account and did 8 of 10 lost last 2 and it was placed plat 5. Keep people playing Keep them making accounts Keep them spending money.
    Silver account is roughly the same ELO you start at on a fresh account for reference.

#18 Skotemo, Mar 2, 2017
  19. helgrik

helgrik Infernal
    Legend

Unfortunately, my people's population is not what it used to be. Many dwarves went other races / left to ND.

20. Skotemo

Skotemo Akathar
    Hero

The age of dwaves has come to pass, the age of the men/elves now reigns supreme