Welcome to the Rise of Agon Community

Create an account today to engage in discussions and community events on the Rise of Agon forums.

What is RoAs situation with hacking/exploiting?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by propain, Nov 16, 2015.

1. propain

propain Black Knight
    Loyal Hero

Was reading over on Unholy Wars forums and surprise surprise jet boom and his clan are rampantly teleporting their grave right before they die/get ganked, and have multiple video evidence...so just thinking of the same subject what do YOU plan to do? Because we all know these dirt bags are going to do everything in their power to do what they did for 2+ years in DFO. Suspensions, IP bans, warnings, bank wipes?

Different from that, what about people abusing exploited spawns or abusing a system? You can't fix ALL the bugs if you get the license.

^^ want to hear a stance on this topic, and any other discussion to the matter.

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
  2. MWTaylor

MWTaylor Community Manager
    Staff Member BPG Representative Game Designer

Hi Vesius!

We want to take a hard stance on not only hacking but also on exploiting game mechanics for unfair advantages. This is a competitive PvP MMORPG and allowing people to get away with things like the aforementioned goes against the whole premise of what this game is meant to be about.

As for specific penalties, I do not believe that we have decided internally what those will be exactly but I do know that the entire team wants to ensure that we can all play the game with the same opportunities as the rest of the population. One of the things that I personally believe wasn't handled well with Darkfall Online was taking a hard stance against exploitation and hacking, something that we don't plan on allowing to occur within Rise of Agon.

3. Erock

Erock Varangian Warthane
    Legend

Hacking = cya
    Exploiting should depend on the severity of the exploit and how many people it's overall effecting. Everyone has different views on this and I don't write the laws this is strictly my opinion on the matter. I don't think anyone should ever be perma banned from the game for exploiting, only under VERY certain circumstances.

4. propain

propain Black Knight
    Loyal Hero

Good responses. I'd be satisfied with hacking=perma banned, and exploiting be slap on the wrist offenses unless repeated and what not. But yeah jet booms clan got banned, you know those basement dwellers are going to try to ruin this game, I hope your team is prepared :]

5. negocromn

negocromn Black Knight
    Legend

the good thing is that you will probably know the names of maybe half of all potential cheaters before the game even launches

a good watch list should save you a lot time

6. Andrew

Andrew Eodrin
    Staff Member BPG Representative

The rough plan I had in mind was:

Hacking: permanent ban
    Exploiting and afk macroing: depending on severity, an increasing punishment per infraction going from a kick/few hour ban, to a day ban, multi day, week, month, etc.

Essentially only hacking is a permanent ban. Whereas multiple infractions of anything else will essentially get you to the point of a permanent ban with multi month bans and potentially partial/full bank wipes for exploited resources.

A fair, tough and straightforward ruleset enforced.

7. Heldana

Heldana Windlord
    Legend

<3

8. GrimReapiN

GrimReapiN Chosen of Khamset
    Contributor

We plan on fixing as many bugs as possible. When we're through, there should be very little mob exploitation, if any.

If you would like to report any bugs you're concerned with specifically, you can create a thread in the game design section or post in the bug list thread.

Thanks. :)

9. Synna

Synna Black Knight
    Loyal Patron Legend

If you are serious about cutting out macroing, just a ban isn't enough, need a skill rollback to go with it, otherwise you can macro your heart out til you are caught x times (one before long/perma).

10. Rawr

Rawr Chosen of Khamset

The way we are fixing the skill gains will make it so inefficient to macro that nobody will want to.

You CAN wack a player for 8 hours.... or you can hit a goblin 8 times and get the same gains. Take your pick.

(THIS IS NOT THE CONFIRMED RATE USING THIS AS AN EXAMPLE)

The idea is making it so someone who can play a few hours can keep pace with someone who wants to AFK 24/7. While you might get minor gains macroing while afk, we want it to be such a waste of resources, nobody will want to do it, nor will it be needed. Player skill should ALWAYS win.

11. Andrew

Andrew Eodrin
    Staff Member BPG Representative

We are looking at just removing gains from PvP potentially except for non damage spells/skills. This will make level macros useless for most spells and skills.

It may be difficult to tell how much gains players get from macroing and which abilities they were using if logging isn't easy to access for it. We will be maintaining a hard stance against afk macroing as it killed the game for many players seeing that happening. We'll announce a specific policy during beta about it.

12. Beradule

Beradule Goblin Warrior
    Hero

yeah then people afk on mobs :).

People will find a way to AFK macro, rather it be for resources, or trapping mobs to having elaborate heal,staff switch multi client macros that work with mobs and targeting as well.

I'm sure the vets remember the afk melee/magic macro that had healing of your target and armor/weap swaps.

Just stay consistent with your policies and make sure they are clearly laid out and understood.

13. SiegeForce

SiegeForce Skeleton Archer

i remember several mobs you could macro on right up until df1 was closed that were never fixed and were not overly known about. so if the game is the same spawns etc.. expect people to abuse the shit out of if unless you get around the game alot more than those lazy AV GM's

14. SiegeForce

SiegeForce Skeleton Archer

And on skill gains, i personally would like to see "if exploits are removed" skill gain increases on mobs and removal of that meditation shit. The most exciting thing about starting DF1 was all the players running around trying to kill shit and seeing your skills go up by a few points daily made you want to log in more.