Welcome to the Rise of Agon Community

Create an account today to engage in discussions and community events on the Rise of Agon forums.

What is so good about player vendors ?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Shivs, Jul 6, 2017.

1. kilrain

kilrain Shadow Knight
    Staff Member Developer Team Lead

This post is about player vendors, how did the discussion of skill caps get started? Let's stay on topic please. Hard for someone to want to stick around and have a discussion with all the nonsense. Make a new thread if you feel it's necessary to discuss.

Fengor, Candy and mrW like this.
  2. mrW

mrW Black Knight
    Legend

Sorry but you are talking about early vision of AV/Razorwas. This has nothing to do with how the game turned out and neither is BPG aiming to make this a copy of UO. There are very big differences between core DFO and UO that really negate any kind of arguing that the skill caps are relevant here. For the start, you could have many characters in UO and you could max the build in what, a day?

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
  3. Green Chili

Green Chili Spellgazer
    Legend

Personally, I like the idea of encumberance and gear selection being the main thing that dictates your role on a day to day basis.

For example, the new staves the added. Current consensus seems that they are largely unimpressive, like the lifebolt. Meant to be better for GM/LM, should be ideal for destroyer types, and maybe even the most hardcore mages that would be willing to carry 2-3 stave if it gave enough of an edge. However, blackbolt is the cuurent everyday staff. Expand on something like this for some diversity both in play style and visually. Maybe take another look at 2H, GS still seems to be the runaway favorite.

Of course they would still need to do alot work to get the armor encumberance working, adding new pieces, tweeking, balacing, possibly giving small bonuses for things like "wearing 3 pieces of studded increases arrow knocking and reduces archery stam drain." This doesn't lock anyone out of anything, if you want to be a mage for any event, simple change clothes. It would allow people to have more freedom in the gear they choose to wear depending on what they want to do.

It is pretty sad that the only thing you can do to make yourself look even slightly different from the 5 guys next to you is pick you own shield.

calcal112 likes this.
  4. TryHard

TryHard Varangian Warthane
    Legend

That is a huge waste of time and will end up with everyone using the same toolkit after a short time. Also you will just have many alts so people can craft their own stuff.

Adding restrictions to skills is a waste of dev time and really wont effect the overall game. Adding a skill limit is not something you can do, the actual skill system needs to be built from the beginning with this concept in order for it to work, you can't just say "You can only have 3 fire spells now" or make each spell cost a certain amount of skill points to learn is a huge mistake lol, thats the real game killer.

Now you will need 5 alts in order to make your own gear???? The game already suffers from lack of players and restricting what they can do is not a good idea.

5. purplehays1

purplehays1 Goblin Scout

Merely adding a vendor stand that allows people to sell their items in a city is not going to fix the current problem one bit. The reAL problem is that everyone has to get to sang to trade. Vendors will just allow the million crafters in sang to sell without spamming, not helping at all the actual problem of having to go to sang to make a trade. Vendors will do nothing to fix the problem of needing to get to sang because people won't put the vendors anywhere but sang (majority) because that is where everyone trades. If vendors are merely a method to automate trading they are a complete waste of the developers time and will be a huge disappointment to the player base. This games single biggest problem is the difficulty getting to sang to trade, whatever is implemented MUST fix this.

Harley Franklin likes this.
  6. RootedOak

RootedOak Oak Lord
    Legend

Before there was ever a wiki, Dest Locke had an epicly stocked vendor of pre-crafted items for sale at above cost. Which happened to be right next to a mob that dropped the most gold in the game.

Fengor likes this.
  7. Korag

Korag Evil Eye
    Hero

If I member right it was supposed to be like this anyways, if ya used fire water was closed to you etc.. was supposed to be capped at so many skills much like UO

Crunchy likes this.
  8. Mycke

Mycke Obsidian Golem

A simple way to improve this is to allow people to pick their 'capital' for recall, since races dont matter anyway it makes no sense to force a useless capital on people.

yogrrt, calcal112, rats and 2 others like this.
  9. Oresmacker

Oresmacker Obsidian Golem
    Supporter

I'm going to put one by the big cairn(I spelled it right this time boys) giant spawn with air daggers and 30 min food. Rich in one week!

DarkGhost25 likes this.
  10. Foomanchu

Foomanchu Goblin Warlord

the downside is the opportunity cost of it, and if you think your average casual can reach that point...
    although i bet a lot of casuals quit once they realized the grind of attempting that

in the words of our UW clan crafter Indo "If i didn't level all crafting id be fucking Rich!!"

11. MikeJT

MikeJT Black Knight
    Supporter

There's already implicit classes in the game.

There's the level everything and use the regular cycle of spells class and destroyer class.

Anything who didn't adhere to these implicit classes is an incomplete character or a bad player.

More variety thanks.

Slayven likes this.
  12. Animal

Animal Eodrin
    Hero

I wouldn't necessarily say there are two classes. My playstyle is almost exclusively rays and sidestep melee. I'd say it's fairly unique in several aspects of play compared to the generic double field aoe/r90 spamming mage. The misconceived notion that there is only one way to play mage bothers me(quite a bit, actually).

I also have a heavy hybrid playstyle that I save for wagers. It makes heavy use of both the bow and rays with a 1.0 staff(and is entirely unique to anything I've seen from any playstyle in any iteration of Darkfall to date).

Oresmacker, calcal112 and Korag like this.
  13. Mexi Horseman

Mexi Horseman Goblin Warlord

skill cap/skill decay like UO had was awesome.. It's been asked for since the game launched in 2009.. You're an idiot.

14. TryHard

TryHard Varangian Warthane
    Legend

I dont see destroyer as a class at all.

I see it as a trade off... Removing the ability to use all elemental magic is not a "class" just saying. I like the "classless" aspect to the game.(Not trying to convince you, just clarifying my opinion)
    --- Post updated ---
    "Its been asked for since 2009" is not an actual argument for skill decay...

15. Slayven

Slayven Eodrin
    Legend

They made destro with out removing any thing from its core..more things like that would be cool.
    --- Post updated ---
    Always wondered if a ray tank would work I would be interested to see this

mrW likes this.
  16. Poisonus

Poisonus Goblin Warrior

I know a lot of ppl who like to craft and trade. Problem is, trading in DF is so problematic, they just don't even try the game (when we describe them how the system is) or they try it, don't like it and quit.

Unfortunatelly, the player vendor system, albeit romantic and noble (I still remember the player vendor days back in Ultima Online), problem is it's just it. A system from 15+ years ago that simply does not work in today's environment. (How "new" gamers are used to or want to). Time wasted travelling around checking every player vendor to see who actually sells what you want to buy or even if you own one, time wasted maintaining its stock of "products" to sell etc...in 2017, just doesn't work any more.

For me, some times you have to forgo "compatibility with game's idea(s)" and be more pragmatic as to what your current and future playerbase acfually wants. And the answer is only one. A market/auction system being accessible not only in NPC cities, but also in player cities and hamlets. The amount of time we spend just to buy 1-2 things we want, plus the hassle we go through (logging in trade alts etc) plus the fact that we have to maintain a (trade) alt just for this, also having to pay for its sub etc, is unreal.

Market / auction is the only way. (Coming even from an old UO vet).

17. Korag

Korag Evil Eye
    Hero

I like that you played uo and I wanna respect your opinion but your not 100% accurate with this, and the only time it is more accurate is when ya talk about how lazy people have become as a society, as that carries over to the gaming world. ESO has millions of subs and does a vendor system, maybe this system wont work very well, but I for one believe it will work really well, it also encourages community and people spending time in an area where these "good" vendors are. Regardless I feel like this idea needs a chance and people need to realize this is not a theme park mmo with a giant bazaar where you can one stop shop, those games have other things that bring/encourage communities while darkfall does not, I think we could benefit greatly from this system and if they add rare wearables dropped by mobs could even start seeing some UO bank sitters showing off their fancy duds