Welcome to the Rise of Agon Community

Create an account today to engage in discussions and community events on the Rise of Agon forums.

What is your optimal Darkfall?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Lakisuria_Moonglade, Oct 10, 2016.

1. Lakisuria_Moonglade

Lakisuria_Moonglade Varangian Warthane
    Legend

Time for some future dreams here.

But question to you all is:

What should Darkfall be?

Now before you go throwing me up on the post and trying to burn me, I'm merely stating this for more of a forum-wide understanding of what we are trying to push for.

I'll obviously start off with how I ultimately wish to see Darkfall in the long term.

UO had some of the most interesting mechanics to me. A lot of it was due to how ominous the world was to me. There was a huge terrain to travel and explore and even more things hidden within that same terrain that you'd miss on the first pass.

UO character progression was smooth and secondary almost to all the things to find and collect in UO. Naturally people played the game for different reasons and ultimately this lead to Trammel and beyond which arguably ruined it for a lot of people as well. I'd agree to that.

My future hopes of Darkfall would be the following.

• Character progression secondary in this game. Meaning the game isn't 50% grinding your character. (Not going to go into detail as i've done this several times before)
    • The game is primarily about interacting with other players in positive and negative ways.
    • Players are a huge focus but more activities need to promote their cooperation. In Darkfall you'll almost never see people group up for a dungeon or go out of their way to do so, especially if not in the same clan.
    • More sandbox elements (Probably the most difficult part) as right now Darkfall is two things. A PvP World with an attempt at an economy. That's all Darkfall currently is, let's face it. Outside of finding the best way to gank the guy next to you the only thing left to do is get the gear to do so.
    • A lot that takes away from the sandbox element is the fact cities and houses are so static. In a future Darkfall i'd like houses to be converted from what they are into what UO brought to us. You'd plot down the base and customize it to suit your own tastes. (Would definitely be a big project) I'd probably keep these plots in the same locations as they are now but expanded to not only accommodate more players but house sizes. Having your own mansion and tower to call your home can add a lot to what a player wants to do in the day.
    • I'd even think about this approach for clan cities. Give the players more tools and let us mold our world.
    • A living and breathing economy. Where players can supply the gear, the resources, the currency and then the appropriate currency sink to keep the flow of goods alive. PKers will buy their weaponry, their gear and farm the gold. Gatherers will sell their resources to the crafters and the crafters will buy the resources and craft the gear for PKers to purchase more resources. (Naturally not limited to but that's the general wheel)
    • Mob spawns to be expanded into entire regions and potentially mixed. Probably a nightmare for how complex Darkfall is coded. Mob spawn counts need to be much larger and much more random in location. When seeing a rare mob it should be a big deal and excitement even if you aren't ready to attack it yet.
    • The current world expanded on and made much more mysterious, ominous and interesting.
    • Towns more normalized, (I'm looking at you elf lands. Such a pain to get to what you are looking for half the time.)
    • NPC cities and capital should have their own house spots as well and remove the useless filler houses that currently exist. And plots around the Capitals and NPC cities should be introduced.
    In the end, I really just want a living breathing world inside and outside of pvp. The people that like to fight will have people to fight. The people that want to PvE will find a reason to go out and do so, whether it be for wealth, collectibles and getting materials to sell and trade.

Maybe down the line we will introduce named weapons that are very rare that have some kind of slight perk to them. (Ex slightly better weapon reach, slightly faster swing speed or even a mix of cons and pros that would be unique and interesting if not just look purely bad ass in name and model) People would go out of their way to find such things I guarantee it.

So what kind of world are you hoping Darkfall to be? You don't have to agree or disagree about what I want but please share what it is you want?

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
  2. Aristos Giannes

Aristos Giannes Cairn Giant
    Hero

Gonna keep my 'ideal vision' real short because elaborating would turn into a giant wall of text.

- Meaningful alignment system

- Fun/Rewarding quest lines for all character levels

- Working economy

- Engaging, worthwhile PvE

- Abilitiy to legitimately customize your own character, holdings, and player houses.

Many of these would result in meaningful PvP where PvP happens naturally instead of having to roam around hours looking for it, ending with players killing anyone on sight. You should know an enemy when you see him, instead of everyone just desperate for some action.

Rimamok and Lakisuria_Moonglade like this.
  3. RootedOak

RootedOak Oak Lord
    Legend

PvP arena with several maps to queue up for.

4. Lakisuria_Moonglade

Legend

Overfall, let's do it. There's only one class though, rip.

5. RootedOak

RootedOak Oak Lord
    Legend

Two and that's all we need.

6. Lakisuria_Moonglade

Legend

I semi-agree with that but there's a lot more needing fixed than that to worry about it atm.

7. Sero

Sero Gnoll Vilegaunt
    Loyal Legend

- Make the map smaller, too much space.
    - Territory control system
    - Add a solo queue elo arena, 10k gold entry fee, no other limitations. Straight up 1v1 against another queued player, fight for bags, gold and elo.

I don't feel like putting too much effort into this so

8. SuB ZeRo

SuB ZeRo Frostjarl
    Legend Lifetime

Dolphinfall

Inkarnation likes this.
  9. Nightmare UDL

Nightmare UDL Celestial
    Legend

Alignment system of UO with heavy consequences for going red with a bounty system

Get rid of race wars and just have red / blue / gray system

Have wars that must be mutually agreed on and then you fight everywhere including cities

A good faction system where you can earn rewards for pvp

These will keep pvpers pvping and the bloobies still playing cause there is less risk of them getting pkd due to the heavy consequences

A quest system like Asherons Call where there are story quests with cool rewards that are al droppable on death

A rare loot system where you have a 1 percent or lower chance to find the great sword of death with a special look and once again all droppable on death.

A housing system like UO where you buy the deeds and you work for your housing not the lottery system

Rare mobs that are once a day or once a week that drop rare loot if you kill them. They are really hard.

Hunger games style queue where it costs gold to participate. Winner takes all.

Darkfall combat

This is my dream game.

10. negocromn

negocromn Black Knight
    Legend

Any Darkfall that more or less retains it's base mechanics and is populated as fuck.

11. Buffalo Spaceman

Buffalo Spaceman Frostjarl
    Hero

Basically this. Give me Darkfall as it is, with a big population and I'd be so happy.

12. Lakisuria_Moonglade

Legend

Just as some Clarification, Could you describe to me what Darkfall's base mechanics are? I assume this includes the current pvp balance and engine and that we can choose who we attack at whatever time.

13. Buffalo Spaceman

Buffalo Spaceman Frostjarl
    Hero

The combat system. The spells, the skills, darkfall combat hombre.

Full loot, open world.

14. Lakisuria_Moonglade

Legend

Ah gotcha, then I definitely agree. The pvp itself and how it's fought can definitely stay. (Perhaps some very minor tweaks between certain spells but this thread isn't about that) Definitely don't see any need for a pvp overhaul atm. It's enjoyable where it is.

Any opinions on if the grind up to being pvp viable was drastically adjusted? Made the game more about the actual pvp and conquest than the initial character progression?

15. Dixie Normus

Dixie Normus Black Knight
    Legend

i like most of this but why get rid of the races? its pretty much built in factions. or are you worried wolves of one race will slaughter sheep of another?

with meaningful red/blue and a slight adjustment of racial traits there should be enough blue wolves for each race willing to defend sheep.

you could even go further and make chaos/order between all the races too so you could get same race conflict if its consensual. you know what i mean if you played uo

16. Lakisuria_Moonglade

Legend

I think the biggest pain about multiple races and the fact they are enemies is that the economy's flow ends up slightly stifled from it. People will choose a race based on the appearance initially and some minor mechanics. Initially an RP purpose but ends up shifting due to pvp side of things. There isn't an easy way to communicate with other races nor trade with them without relaying information between other clan-mates.

A faction system allows more positive player interaction and allow consensual pvp to be more of a thing. I think faction cities should be implemented and players can choose to be apart of one of them. Hintenfau, Espenhaul and Ottenhal are some examples of potential Faction cities around mid map. A faction war system being built around joining the faction and fighting other factions around the mid map.

(Just some of my thoughts on the matter and I probably didn't word something right, rip me)

17. Dixie Normus

Dixie Normus Black Knight
    Legend

or those chaos cities can be a hub for multiraces to trade at.
    made even better with regionalized loot. make it so only blue aligned players can enter them without being zapped.

reds can camp outside the cities and kill people. of course you would have to add a chos city just for the reds or something equivalent.

lblue heroes can patrol and protect the area.

sand sand sand sand

18. Lakisuria_Moonglade

Legend

There was another conversation about potential trade-hub NPC cities between each racial border. The reason why I exempted those chaos cities is simply because then Reds wouldn't have anywhere to go unless they had a clan holding or they lived in the outer continents.

Reds and blues alike could participate in the faction wars if they wanted and could help direct a lot of pvp away from the starter cities.

Those trade hubs could also have portal chambers so people can travel to other lands easier. I'm sure the server could easily choose one in particular to be a primary one to group up at for global trading. Definitely blue only though so towers wouldn't have any of them mischievous reds bouncing around inside it. (Don't see anything wrong with people jumping people as they leave it)

#18 Lakisuria_Moonglade, Oct 10, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2016
  19. Mycke

Mycke Obsidian Golem

An easy way to add a social hub is to take one of the center chaos cities, give it towers and make everyone blue within its zone, so war decs still work but while in the city all races and alignments are treated as blue to the towers and there would be the central trading and socializing hub.

Dixie Normus likes this.
  20. Lakisuria_Moonglade

Legend

The only problem I see with doing that is then center map needs completely changed from how it's always been. It no longer should be a chaos zone and not even a major mob zone.

If towers of any kind are put there then it should become a large trading and living hub instead of the pve locations that are there. Would take a lot of world building and adjusting. Which I don't really see as a bad thing but could be an iffy proposition if the rest of the world isn't taken into account to compensate for it.

-- Brainstorming here

Then those boss mobs we found there could be converted into dungeon bosses instead when/if dungeons get reworked. A dragon boss in a huge cavern dungeon would be pretty legit using the Dark Dragon or Gardaroc models.

#20 Lakisuria_Moonglade, Oct 10, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2016